or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Wolf's Lair Home Theater-Construction/Pics
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wolf's Lair Home Theater-Construction/Pics - Page 17

post #481 of 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan View Post

That sounds like a Mythbusters experiment. I'm having a hard time imagining that enough methane could build up to ever cause any sort of explosion risk. Now granted, the house would smell like sh*t, but I don't think it would go boom.

This all sounds plausible and very correct. I'm with Cathan though on the "boom". Time for Mythbusters.

Thanks for all the input, and after hearing the "20ft from vertical pipe" thing that sounds correct to me. After reading that, I checked a sink drain in my basement that is at least 15' from a vertical pipe, and it appears there is some sort of Studor vent on there. Not sure if it still functions, or is correct, but it looks like they attempted something similar when it was installed.

I'll have to bug a plumber and get the skinny.

Sorry for the thread Hijack! Now back to the missing ladder....
post #482 of 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoeHammer865 View Post

This all sounds plausible and very correct. I'm with Cathan though on the "boom". Time for Mythbusters.

I think you're probably right. Not enough methane concentration to cause a explosion.
post #483 of 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by easycruise View Post

I think you're probably right. Not enough methane concentration to cause a explosion.

True, perhaps, but the Mythbusters would find a way to blow something up...
post #484 of 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by easycruise View Post

I think you're probably right. Not enough methane concentration to cause a explosion.


Maybe there won't be an explosion. It sure would smell pretty Sh**y though!
post #485 of 741
Thread Starter 
I have not been the most diligent HT/basement-construction-person the past month. I have tackled a few small tasks. Let's roll the tape:



Did a little work on the stair way. For those who don't remember this is what it looked like when we started:


I stained the trim and painted the accent wall. I am not looking forward to refinishing the stairs and installing an iron railing, but that is on the list:
(Daddy can I come down there?)



Looking the other way from the base of the stairs. I painted the doors in the hallway to match the stained trim.



I painted the niche and had a wine rack from upstairs that fit pretty nicely:
post #486 of 741
Awesome. Absolutely awesome. I really like the dark trim.

CJ
post #487 of 741
Thread Starter 
I bought a couple of stools for the bar:


Finally recieved my sconces. This is when they are at full strength:




The faint glow when watching film or gaming:
post #488 of 741
nice work. i am really liking the wall sconces you went with. later.
post #489 of 741
As always great workmanship.

Cheers,
Mark
post #490 of 741
Looking good
post #491 of 741
Brilliant work! Looking for land to build a house on at the moment. Once house is built, the wife already knows that the basement is mine! I truly hope that my HT comes out 1/2 as nice as yours (in the yrs to come...)
post #492 of 741
Man Gonzo, last time I saw your space there was stuff everywhere from construction. Sure looks like you got it going well now. All you need is some furniture down there now.. You aren't far now. I look forward to a meet once you are completed with everything.

John
post #493 of 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox64 View Post

Brilliant work! Looking for land to build a house on at the moment. Once house is built, the wife already knows that the basement is mine! I truly hope that my HT comes out 1/2 as nice as yours (in the yrs to come...)

Silverfox64,

What you meant to say is, you're looking for land to build a home theater on. Of course, the house is the compromise you are willing to make with your wife, in exchange for the HT.
post #494 of 741
Gonzo,

Everything looks great! You have a great opportunity to make that staircase really nice. I am sure you will do it up!
post #495 of 741
Excellent Gonzo.... excccelllllenttt.

post #496 of 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgonzomd View Post


Excellent work my HT brutha. Ain't it great watching a movie or a Deadwood or a Firefly or a Sopronos on the big screen with really good sound?????

You way outdid me with your finish level, but mine looks decent and it's just fun watching stuff. The big screen is fun, but the sound when you do it right is amazing.
post #497 of 741
Gonzo,

You've built a really great looking entertainment space!!! Your obsessive attention to small detail has paid off in droves. Nice work!

Enjoy it in good health.

Anthony
post #498 of 741
Thread Starter 
Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate all the support along the way.

Hopefully, after 1st quarter bonus time, I will buy the seating and a rack for the AV closet. Then she will really be done. Also need to buy some furniture for the bar room, a flat panel for the bar room, a pool table, etc, etc. This whole money thing seems to keep getting in the way.
post #499 of 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgonzomd View Post

Hopefully, after 1st quarter bonus time, I will buy the seating.............

I bought a couple leather couches. Each one has three seats - two of which recline. I paid about the same for each couch as you often pay for one HT chair - about $520. They look good and are very comfortable. I bought them at a store called American Furniture Warehouse. I don't know if they're national or just in Colorado. Not only does it cost less than HT seating, you have the additional option of laying out on them.

Just a thought.
post #500 of 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgonzomd View Post

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate all the support along the way.

Hopefully, after 1st quarter bonus time, I will buy the seating and a rack for the AV closet. Then she will really be done. Also need to buy some furniture for the bar room, a flat panel for the bar room, a pool table, etc, etc. This whole money thing seems to keep getting in the way.

Yeah. The problem with these types of projects is the large number of big $ purchases that need to happen at the end. I too am budgeting around certain "bonus" pay events.
post #501 of 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan View Post

Yeah. The problem with these types of projects is the large number of big $ purchases that need to happen at the end. I too am budgeting around certain "bonus" pay events.

Me too. I picked up some side drafting work for an architect I know that is starting up in the next 2 weeks and that is what I am using for seats, speakers, screen material, BR player and receiver, plus the odds and ends.

I never really saw all the large purchases coming at the end. I was planning on spreading them out but to no avail. And I fully expected to be finished with the HT by now but it is amazing how much there is to do in all the small finishing things..

John
post #502 of 741
Gonzo,
Do you keep the blue lights on while watching a movie? Dim them? I see that they go across the screen wall. I guess you don't find it too distracting or that they disappear from field of view after the movie starts. I'm curious because I'm planning my new theater in a small room (12X13) and my initial plan was just to ceiling light the side and back walls.

Great room you got there.
Thanks
PK
post #503 of 741
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Kerbie View Post

Gonzo,
Do you keep the blue lights on while watching a movie? Dim them? I see that they go across the screen wall. I guess you don't find it too distracting or that they disappear from field of view after the movie starts. I'm curious because I'm planning my new theater in a small room (12X13) and my initial plan was just to ceiling light the side and back walls.

Great room you got there.
Thanks
PK

They are dimable, so I have them at about 1/2 power when watching movies. This creates a subtle glow and I do not find it distracting. It creates a cool feel to the room. In the bright pictures above all the lights are on full blast.
post #504 of 741
Gonzo,

Great work as usual and some nice pics there

also don't worry about $$ the bank has lots

Cheers
Calvin
post #505 of 741
what axiom speakers do you have?
post #506 of 741
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vassillios View Post

what axiom speakers do you have?

L and R are M2 V2
Center is VP100 V2
Surrounds are QS2 V2
post #507 of 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgonzomd View Post

L and R are M2 V2
Center is VP100 V2
Surrounds are QS2 V2

Nice, if you haven't already heard the axioms, you'll love them. I've recently been upgrading my speakers, I have 2 QS8's and a VP150. I hope to get M80s, but I just bought a PS3 so it's going to take a little longer to save up for them.

Your space looks amazing by the way, but you already know that.

2 things, do you post on the axiom forums? and is "Gonzo" a Hunter S. Thompson reference?
post #508 of 741
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the compliments vassillios.

No, I have not posted on the axiom forum. Gonzo is just nickname I have had since childhood (Hint: A fairly common nickname for guys with my last name.) I have really liked the axiom so far. I went with the smaller options due to the room not being too big, they fill it up real well. No complaints.
post #509 of 741
Gonzo,

Just checking in to see the latest! Love the sconces!

Tony
post #510 of 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgonzomd View Post

Thanks for the compliments vassillios.

No, I have not posted on the axiom forum. Gonzo is just nickname I have had since childhood (Hint: A fairly common nickname for guys with my last name.) I have really liked the axiom so far. I went with the smaller options due to the room not being too big, they fill it up real well. No complaints.

Make sure you go over there and post some pics when everything is said and done. They're a great group and they LOVE pics; I'm sure they'll go apesh!t when they see your set up. You can probably just post a link to this topic.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Wolf's Lair Home Theater-Construction/Pics