or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Wolf's Lair Home Theater-Construction/Pics
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wolf's Lair Home Theater-Construction/Pics - Page 3

post #61 of 741
Thread Starter 
Here are some more drywall shots. I know, I know, it is boring, but how else am I going to keep my thread "relevant?"

Looking up from the bar entrance.


Looking up from the corner of the bar room. The flat panel will go to the left.


The set up of cabinets I ordered this weekend will look something like this.
Highlights include: 24" beverage refrigerator, 18" slide out double trash can, wall mounted wine rack, microwave oven cabinet. Get's your blood pumping doesn't it?



Idea on dressing up the flat panel...fake stone fireplace. What do you think?
post #62 of 741
Gonzo: I like it!

If you want an example of boring (as well as ugly ) have a look at the framing for my proscenium. I got in too much of a hurry trying to finish up early Sunday evening. Hey, it's all gonna be hidden behind oak veneer plywood and black velvet, right?

p.s.: I don't see your ladder in that second photograph. Was it taking some time off?
post #63 of 741
Gonzo - I like the bar & fireplace design. Good also to see the ladder again. Was starting to think you had had a falling out (or off ).

Cheers,
Mark
post #64 of 741
Gonzo,
I still prefer your first version (with the wine cellar ) but your current plan for the bar/fireplace will be definitely turning out to be nice!
post #65 of 741
Thread Starter 
The drywall is up and the first coat of mud is pretty much done. Met with my HVAC guy today and he looked at the work I had done. Everything is acceptable, except I am going to have to retape my joints with a specific "mastic tape", which he will supply. Apparently, the aluminum tape at Lowe's is not up to code here. Shouldn't be that big of a deal. He also told me how to built the box (can just use plywood) for the return grate.

Some pics. Looking into the bar room from the pool room.


Looking the the opposite directions (from the bar room corner towards the door to the pool room).


Looking at the bar.


Last but not least, for those of you interested in building home theaters, the entry into the theater! Bathroom is to the right, bar room to the left.
post #66 of 741
You will soon be onto the fun stuff.

Cheers,
Mark
post #67 of 741
Thread Starter 
My brother recently suggested that I should start focusing on the theater, or I might start losing readers of my thread. I assured him that my readers, both of them, are hooked. But to appease him, I did do some work in the theater this weekend. Drum roll please...I built the box for the HVAC return. (And, no, it is not a dog house.)





It will be mounted in the soffit at the front of the theater.

I also did a lot of work in the bar. I finished mudding, sanded, and primed. Took the old lady and the kids to Lowe's and we picked out a paint color for the room. Hopefully, I will be able to get it painted this week. Did I mention how much I hate sanding? I actually went to a rental store to try and rent a drywall sander, but no luck. They did not carry them.





post #68 of 741
Good to see your ladder again, and I see your feet also made a guest appearance!
post #69 of 741
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VorlonFog View Post

Good to see your ladder again, and I see your feet also made a guest appearance!

In all honesty, the ladder thing is not premeditated. I think I am just too lazy to move it and that is why it is in all the pictures. As for the feet, I was going to be a feet model, but an injury at a young age (stubbed toe) ruined my career
post #70 of 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgonzomd View Post

I was going to be a feet model, but an injury at a young age (stubbed toe) ruined my career

Yeah, my ingrown toenails ruined my shot at a modeling career.
post #71 of 741
Hey Gonzo you have more readers than you think. Keep up the good work! Your thread is quite entertaining so far with the "pearls of wisdom".


Lane
post #72 of 741
Thread Starter 
Thanks Ihard77, I need all the support I can get!

The room is painted but will need another coat on the walls Bar cabinets are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow Unfortunately, I have the small task of tiling the floor prior installing the cabinets. I have tiled a small back splash before, but never anything the size of this room. It should be a fun, back-breaking, knee-hurting project. Never thought I would admit it, but I am going to get some knee pads, if you know what I mean

Pearl #11: Although there is a social stigma, knee pads can be your best friend
post #73 of 741
Love the step by step pics, looking good.
post #74 of 741
Thread Starter 
Thanks, if you scroll down fast enough it is almost like a movie

Painted pics:




post #75 of 741
Looks like your drywall mudding came out well.

Have you decided on the desigbn for your bar, you still doing wood panellng?

Cheers,
Mark
post #76 of 741
good read and info! What color is that paint?

All of these threads do nothing but inspire me
post #77 of 741
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA View Post

Looks like your drywall mudding came out well.

Have you decided on the desigbn for your bar, you still doing wood panellng?

Cheers,
Mark

Yep, wood paneling. Sort of like what you have done in you HT/bar, but it will be a darker stain.
post #78 of 741
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraw View Post

good read and info! What color is that paint?

All of these threads do nothing but inspire me

It is Olympic "pony tail," available at Lowe's.
post #79 of 741
Thread Starter 
Cabinets arrived to day. They look pretty sweet. Very dark stain, which I wanted. The only problem is the sink corner cabinet was not exactly what I expected. Here it is:



When I was ordering them the guy at lowes said this was a way to save money. What he described was a skeleton of a cabinet, no side panels or back panels. Which would of been fine, because the adjacent cabinets would serve as the sides. I just expected some side rails and a cabinet bottom, more of a 3 dimensional cabinet, not the 2-D version I received. I guess it is up to me to build the rest of the body. Oh well, it will all be out of sight, so it shouldn't be that hard. I guess you get what you pay for

Also started tiling:



post #80 of 741
I almost had a heart attack when I saw the tile. I retiled my basement and entry way last year. In total about 600 sq ft. Just a soon as I got good at it I was done What a chore!!! I don't think I'll be doing that again. The worst part was there was tile to remove from a subfloor. I had to rent an impact hammer with a 4" bit to get them off. Most peopel told me I could just use a chisel and pop them up. That was a load of crap. They used some kind of epoxy laytex stuff. That was horrible. Might really be worth some labor costs. Who knows?

Might get the best job doing it yourself, at least you care what it looks like. I always dread letting someone do that kind of work for me.

I do like the pattern you got going though. Very nice work. Grout is fun. I swear I thought I was almost done then the grout came.
post #81 of 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgonzomd View Post


Not sure if you realized but thats wrong color tile to get you to the Land of Oz
post #82 of 741
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoeller View Post

I almost had a heart attack when I saw the tile. I retiled my basement and entry way last year. In total about 600 sq ft. Just a soon as I got good at it I was done What a chore!!! I don't think I'll be doing that again. The worst part was there was tile to remove from a subfloor. I had to rent an impact hammer with a 4" bit to get them off. Most peopel told me I could just use a chisel and pop them up. That was a load of crap. They used some kind of epoxy laytex stuff. That was horrible. Might really be worth some labor costs. Who knows?

Might get the best job doing it yourself, at least you care what it looks like. I always dread letting someone do that kind of work for me.

I do like the pattern you got going though. Very nice work. Grout is fun. I swear I thought I was almost done then the grout came.

Yeah, I had to remove about 100 sq ft of tile as part of my deconstruction. It was a royal pain. The tile removal was easy, the mortar that was stuck to the concrete was the real pain. I chiselled, I scraped, I wet it, I scraped some more. I basically spread that part of the project out over 6 months.

I worked on the tiling more yesterday and am about 60 percent through with the room. My whole body aches! I guess I am going to buy a 100 dollar Lowes tile saw to finish the project. I suspect it would of cost me about a grand for someone else to do it, so that is more money I get to spend on the theater.

Oh, my wife got on me last night for spending so much time in the basement, so I guess I am going to have to back off for a little bit. To quote her, "when you are not working down there you are spending your time documenting your work." Thanks AVS! I hold you personally responsible for this
post #83 of 741
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA View Post

Not sure if you realized but thats wrong color tile to get you to the Land of Oz

"There is no place like home theater, there is no place like home theater." Damn, still here.
post #84 of 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgonzomd View Post

Yeah, I had to remove about 100 sq ft of tile as part of my deconstruction. It was a royal pain. The tile removal was easy, the mortar that was stuck to the concrete was the real pain. I chiselled, I scraped, I wet it, I scraped some more. I basically spread that part of the project out over 6 months.

I worked on the tiling more yesterday and am about 60 percent through with the room. My whole body aches! I guess I am going to buy a 100 dollar Lowes tile saw to finish the project. I suspect it would of cost me about a grand for someone else to do it, so that is more money I get to spend on the theater.

Oh, my wife got on me last night for spending so much time in the basement, so I guess I am going to have to back off for a little bit. To quote her, "when you are not working down there you are spending your time documenting your work." Thanks AVS! I hold you personally responsible for this

I feel your pain.

About the tile saw. It's really not required. I had similar tile and just used a tile score and snap rig. For complicated stuff I used an angle grinder with a concrete cutting head (at least I think that's what it was). Solid wheel with slightly raised rectangluar nubs for teeth. There was a little dust from that so I cut them outside. I'll tell you though the score and snapping tool was much quicker than any saw. I know they sell some cheapo plastic ones, but the construction grade metal base ones are much better, you can really put some force down to get a good score. Good luck with the work though, looks great.
post #85 of 741
Quote:
To quote her, "when you are not working down there you are spending your time documenting your work." Thanks AVS! I hold you personally responsible for this

LOL!! That's why my wife has yet to discover my little AVS secret!

sds
post #86 of 741
Thread Starter 
I tried to use my tile snapper (left over from the previous back splash project). I took one of the 12"x12" tiles and scored it a couple of times, then pushed the lever down...nothing. So, I scored it again a few times and pushed down again...nothing. More pressure...nothing. MORE PRESSURE...and SNAP. It broke!!! Not the tile, the tile scoring/snapping contraption.

The good news is I got my $250 dollar gift card from the cabinet purchase rebate yesterday. I foresee a trip to the tile section in my future.
post #87 of 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgonzomd View Post

I tried to use my tile snapper (left over from the previous back splash project). I took one of the 12"x12" tiles and scored it a couple of times, then pushed the lever down...nothing. So, I scored it again a few times and pushed down again...nothing. More pressure...nothing. MORE PRESSURE...and SNAP. It broke!!! Not the tile, the tile scoring/snapping contraption.

The good news is I got my $250 dollar gift card from the cabinet purchase rebait yesterday. I foresee a trip to the tile section in my future.

Hehe

That is pretty amazing. I'm not sure but the little scorer wheel may be a part that can be replaced. It might not matter if the ceramic they used in those tiles is all inviablitile like that.

Sweet... rebates are almost like free money...
post #88 of 741
Thread Starter 
Here is the tile cutter



More tiling...

post #89 of 741
Gonzo,

I'm really enjoying your thread! Thanks for taking the time to document here.

My builder will start pushing dirt first of January, and I will have a basement to finish. Your thread will be a good source of info.

tony
post #90 of 741
Thread Starter 
Thanks Tony. Good to here from a fellow carolinian. I lived in Columbia for 3 years, now living in NC. Good luck with your build.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Wolf's Lair Home Theater-Construction/Pics