or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Pioneer PRO-1540HD/1140HD/940HD Owner's thread/merged thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Pioneer PRO-1540HD/1140HD/940HD Owner's thread/merged thread - Page 21

post #601 of 2816
You're darn good to go. You don't need an upconverting DVD player. I get the impression from D'Nice that the 1540 has a better scalar than most of the upconverting DVD players, so you're better off just sending it the 480i straight from the DVD. Enjoy!
post #602 of 2816
Greetings! Newbie to the site...had my 1140 for a couple of weeks prior to stumbling on the site....wished I had known prior to, but oh well....Used D-Nice's setting and it made a difference in the PQ.....I did however, order the monster cable DVD....is it going to serve the same purpose as D-Nice's settings?

Can some also please explain all the differences with 480/720/1080i/p?

I also have the 79avi and the DTV HD reciever....both are connected to the 1140 via Monster Cable M1000 HDMI cables.....did I go over board on the cables? Could I have gotten away with the 600 or 800 series HDMI cables?
post #603 of 2816
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVstudyguru View Post

Just tried to update my Media Gallery firmware without any luck. I saved the files to the memory key as it was described however my panel sends a message claiming my firmware is up to date. I have checked it manually and it is not.

Do I need to unzip the files in my USB key prior to updating the firmware? I did not try this as i was concerned I would screw it up.

I would appreciate some input.

Thanks

I had the same problem. I got it to work by unzipping the files first. The root folder is Updater. In the Updater folder is the 1.0.126-files. Open this folder and copy the files and paste them in the root folder. Now you should see the new files along with the 1.0.126-files folder. Plug your memory key into the USB port and select update and it should update. It will take 15-20 minutes.
post #604 of 2816
You shouldn't need to open the updater file. Once you unzip, just copy the whole updater folder over to the usb drive.
post #605 of 2816
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Rich View Post

Greetings! Newbie to the site...had my 1140 for a couple of weeks prior to stumbling on the site....wished I had known prior to, but oh well....Used D-Nice's setting and it made a difference in the PQ.....I did however, order the monster cable DVD....is it going to serve the same purpose as D-Nice's settings?

Can some also please explain all the differences with 480/720/1080i/p?

I also have the 79avi and the DTV HD reciever....both are connected to the 1140 via Monster Cable M1000 HDMI cables.....did I go over board on the cables? Could I have gotten away with the 600 or 800 series HDMI cables?

Rumor has it, that monster cables are over rated and over priced. I purchased most of my HDMI cables from monoprice.com and they seem to function just fine and are well under $10.

Russ
post #606 of 2816
Quote:
Originally Posted by russwong View Post

Rumor has it, that monster cables are over rated and over priced. I purchased most of my HDMI cables from monoprice.com and they seem to function just fine and are well under $10.

Russ




Go to HDGURU.com, this guy has an article about HDMI cables. Quite interesting, expecially to read comment of other users. Based on what he says, yes cheapies will work fine, as long as they produce no artifacts. If they have no artifacts, then the cheapies are fine. If they produce artifacts, then take em back and get another brand of cheapies. Don't waste $$ on digital cables. Analog cables, yes, digital no.
post #607 of 2816
Took the plunge, the 1540 HD will be delivered on Saturday morning at 0900 I will spend more time reading through this thread but if anyone has some overall quick tips/hints, happy to listen. As stated earlier it will be hooked to a SA 8300 HD PVR and a Sony upconverting DVD player, at least for now.
post #608 of 2816
Nice and Conrats.

I was drooling at the 60 but could only justify the 50.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedit View Post

Took the plunge, the 1540 HD will be delivered on Saturday morning at 0900 I will spend more time reading through this thread but if anyone has some overall quick tips/hints, happy to listen. As stated earlier it will be hooked to a SA 8300 HD PVR and a Sony upconverting DVD player, at least for now.
post #609 of 2816
My dealer offered me a PDK-1014 stand instead of the one that goes with the 1540 which I think is plastic. The PDK-1014 is metal, new in the box and from what he said, more expensive than the one that is standard with the 1540. I can get it for the same price as what I would have paid for the 1540 table top stand. Any comments???

Just so everyone knows, here in Canada you have to buy the speakers and the tabletop stand separately from the TV.
post #610 of 2816
Quote:
Originally Posted by donstim View Post

Yes, you need to unzip the files first. Make sure that you unzip them with the "use folder names" option turned on (or just make sure that they are unzipped into the correct folders).

Thanks for the information. I will try it.
post #611 of 2816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adinn View Post

I had the same problem. I got it to work by unzipping the files first. The root folder is Updater. In the Updater folder is the 1.0.126-files. Open this folder and copy the files and paste them in the root folder. Now you should see the new files along with the 1.0.126-files folder. Plug your memory key into the USB port and select update and it should update. It will take 15-20 minutes.

Thanks. I will try it.
post #612 of 2816
Got a question perhaps someone can help me with -- and if it a silly elementary question forgive my ignorance

I just bought the Toshiba HD-A2 and connected it to my Pro930HD set via HDMI -- picture is fine but it display the movie in letterbox format (movie is HD-DVD Last Samuri) --

I checked all my setting and the HD-DVD player is outputting 1080I and the Plazma is indicatiing it is also reciving 1080I --

Would have thought it would have filled the whole screen like when I am watching a HD football game or House etc etc

Am I missing something in setup or just ignorant as to the expecations of the HD-DVD player --
post #613 of 2816
The tv is displaying correctly. The only way to get rid of the black bars is to use the ZOOM feature of the tv. I don't mean to just re-direct you, but I don't think I could explain it any better than Rich did here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=letterbox

Hope this helps. If not, let us know.
post #614 of 2816
It helps a great deal -

and as u pointed out Rich's explaination was very informative - guess I was hoping with the new technology's and computer logic in the next generation HD-DVD's this was overcome -

I will admitt the picture and sound quality on the new HD-DVD boxes is much better -- but I was so hoping for the end of "letterbox" in my lifetime

Thanks for taking the time to help out -- appreciated
post #615 of 2816
I've been reading a few posts on this already but nobody on this thread is complaining about the buzzing sound issue and I'm starting to think that my unit might in fact have a problem. I've owned my 1540 for 3-4 weeks and I absolutely love the picture on this set. The so called "normal" plasma buzzing though is so evident that I cannot fully enjoy my viewing experience. To clarify, in a relatively quiet room I can hear the buzz from well over 12 feet away and during more quiet parts of a movie it is very distracting. It is far from being subtle. Sure I can drown it with loud sound but if this buzz was coming from my speakers I would consider this an unacceptable flaw, why put up with it just because it comes from the TV.

Anyhow, I'm just trying to see what the general consensus is or if anyone had this issue addressed and resolved with Pioneer. I'm guessing that most people's sets are not as noisy as mine and that I should try to get Pioneer to define what "normal" buzzing levels are.
post #616 of 2816
No buzzing coming from my 1540. If I put my ear right on it I can hear a low hum. You should contact Pioneer.
post #617 of 2816
Thread Starter 
I've noticed a buzz, but only when there is no sound. I also notice it when the screen is brighter, ie a white or light background. The reason I notice is, is I have an HTPC connected and there is no sound if I'm not playing anything.

I'm a curious to hear what you find out from Pioneer. So keep us posted!

Russ
post #618 of 2816
Just talked to Pioneer and they offered to send a technician over to asses the issue. I guess I'll have to count on his expertise. He said that the only thing they can do is change the power supply but the last customer they did that for claims that nothing changed. Might be worth a try. I'll post results.
post #619 of 2816
My 1540 gets delivered on Saturday morning, I plan on using an SA 8300 HD PVR and later purchasing a Toshiba HD DVD A2 if they ever arrive in Canada. Anyone had issues with hooking this up via hdmi to the 1540??? I will also run a the sound through my HT speakers because here in Canada you pay extra if you want the speakers. Advice accepted.
post #620 of 2816
I'm getting the 1140 tomorrow and never really thought to use the Media Gallery feature until reading this thread. How exactly does this feature work? Do you control the media through the pc and simply use the TV as a monitor or does the TV control access to any media files like stored movies and pictures?

Also, while I admit I didn't read every response in this thread, I did not see any firm answers to the question of whether it supports Mac as well as pc. While I have both, access to the Mac is much easier than to where the pc is located.
post #621 of 2816
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestrat View Post

I'm getting the 1140 tomorrow and never really thought to use the Media Gallery feature until reading this thread. How exactly does this feature work? Do you control the media through the pc and simply use the TV as a monitor or does the TV control access to any media files like stored movies and pictures?

Also, while I admit I didn't read every response in this thread, I did not see any firm answers to the question of whether it supports Mac as well as pc. While I have both, access to the Mac is much easier than to where the pc is located.

Assuming the 1140 is like the 1540, you can access files via the Pioneer panel. It's a cool feature and easy to set up. Please note that I have not tried this on an Apple. I've only used it on my networked PC's. I'm also connecting to the network wirelessly from the panel using a wireless bridge.

Enjoy your new purchase. I'm sure you'll love it.
post #622 of 2816
You can use EyeConnect on your Mac to access jpeg photos, MP3 files, etc. through Home Media Gallery. Do a Google for EyeConnect to download a thirty day trial version. I did so, and I can access jpeg photos on my Mac and can see music files from my iTunes libray. However, so far I have not figured out how to get the Pioneer to play the music files as anything but static. Everything in my iTunes library is either AAC or Apple Lossless Codec, so that may be my problem.

Anyone else care to chime in with better ideas? Thanks in advance.
post #623 of 2816
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestrat View Post

I'm getting the 1140 tomorrow and never really thought to use the Media Gallery feature until reading this thread. How exactly does this feature work? Do you control the media through the pc and simply use the TV as a monitor or does the TV control access to any media files like stored movies and pictures?

Also, while I admit I didn't read every response in this thread, I did not see any firm answers to the question of whether it supports Mac as well as pc. While I have both, access to the Mac is much easier than to where the pc is located.

I can only speak from a PC perspective. The Home Media Gallery is it's own UI and uses Windows Media Connect to share files from the PC to the panel. Windows Media connect is part of media player 11 or it's a stand alone application if you do not have media player 11. I have not used it in the MP11 form yet.

Here are some crappy pictures of the Home Media Gallery UI just to give you a flavor.

Russ
LL
LL
LL
post #624 of 2816
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFR0317 View Post

You can use EyeConnect on your Mac to access jpeg photos, MP3 files, etc. through Home Media Gallery. Do a Google for EyeConnect to download a thirty day trial version. I did so, and I can access jpeg photos on my Mac and can see music files from my iTunes libray. However, so far I have not figured out how to get the Pioneer to play the music files as anything but static. Everything in my iTunes library is either AAC or Apple Lossless Codec, so that may be my problem.

Anyone else care to chime in with better ideas? Thanks in advance.

My 1540HD owner's manual does not list AAC or Apple Lossless Codec as being supported formats, but the current list of supported formats on http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...tailsComponent
includes AAC.

Do you have the latest firmware installed? Have you tried playing an mp3 file just to see if at least that works?
post #625 of 2816
Enoga,

I have the same problem with my 940HD. Before the 940 I had the Pioneer 4270 which had the same buzzing issue which was noticeable from 8 - 10 ft away. I returned my first 4270 because of this issue and found that the buzzing was a lot less noticeable with the second set I had.

A month ago I decided to upgrade to the 940HD and the buzzing is back with this set. It is very noticeable during quiet scenes, if i turn on a fan or my AC (in the summer) it will drowned out the buzzing but it is very annoying. I have a tech coming out from the place I purchased the TV this week so I will let you know how it goes.
post #626 of 2816
Quote:
Originally Posted by donstim View Post

My 1540HD owner's manual does not list AAC or Apple Lossless Codec as being supported formats, but the current list of supported formats on http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...tailsComponent
includes AAC.

Do you have the latest firmware installed? Have you tried playing an mp3 file just to see if at least that works?

Yes, I have the latest firmware (downloaded from Pioneer site and went through the upgrade process). No, I haven't tried accessing an MP3 file on my Mac, but I have successfully played ones from a Windows XP laptop on my network. I'll try copying an MP3 file to the Mac without importing it into iTunes to see what happens.

Thanks.
post #627 of 2816
Wow, what a cool feature! I can't believe I bought the 1140 without even knowing about Media Gallery. So all I need is ethernet cable which I brought home last night. How is the wireless bridge working out? That would make it simple to connect to my pc. It seems the way to go if it uses windows media connect.
post #628 of 2816
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestrat View Post

Wow, what a cool feature! I can't believe I bought the 1140 without even knowing about Media Gallery. So all I need is ethernet cable which I brought home last night. How is the wireless bridge working out? That would make it simple to connect to my pc. It seems the way to go if it uses windows media connect.

The wireless bridge is working like a charm and was very easy to set up. The key is to set it up at one of your networked PC's BEFORE you attach it to the panel. (I recommend using the PC that is hard-wired into your router for setup purposes.) I purchased a Linksys bridge and the directions were very easy to follow. You simply plug the bridge into an outlet and connect it via an ethernet cable to your router, install the software, answer a few questions (Domain name, for instance), add a WEP (or other) security key code (assuming your network is using one...something that I strongly advise) and the software will set the bridge up for you. Then, unplug the bridge from the router and the electrical outlet, move it to where the panel is located (plug it into another electrical outlet in that area), and connect the ethernet cable from the Pioneer panel to the bridge. At this point, when you turn your panel on, you should see that it is getting an IP address from your network router and you should be good to go.

Honestly....It was VERY easy to set up.

Enjoy!
post #629 of 2816
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestrat View Post

Wow, what a cool feature! I can't believe I bought the 1140 without even knowing about Media Gallery. So all I need is ethernet cable which I brought home last night. How is the wireless bridge working out? That would make it simple to connect to my pc. It seems the way to go if it uses windows media connect.

If you plan on playing HD files (MPEG2-TS) I think wireless wont be able to support it well enough, unless you are using Pre-N or N stuff. I've tried with G with the xbox360 as an extender and had pretty poor performance. Wired is the way to go if you can do it. Even wired on the same switch, I'll sometimes get a hickup on the xbox360.

Russ
post #630 of 2816
Well it finally arrived..and it's beautiful. Unfortunately the installation got resheduled for Saturday, so I have to look at the box in my LR for 3 more days..arrrggghh. I guess it's not so bad since the HD cable box won't be in until Friday anyway. It also gives me some time to pick up a new dvd player and speakers. I'll run the ethernet cable and try to figure out a way to hard wire the pc, but it's good to know a wireless solution is available. I'm planning on two hdmi, 1 set of component and the ethernet cables. Did I miss anything?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Pioneer PRO-1540HD/1140HD/940HD Owner's thread/merged thread