or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Dancing with the Stars...on ABC...in HD!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dancing with the Stars...on ABC...in HD! - Page 10

post #271 of 5463
I heard host Tom Bergeron refer to Mario Lopez as hunky. I have heard or read male writers refer to certain men as hunky. I don't know about you, but I think that's just a little too gay for me. I think my friends would do a double take if I referred to a particular man and commented that I thought he was hunky.

Perhaps I'm behind on the lexicon, but do you use the word hunky when referring to other men?
post #272 of 5463
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

Perhaps I'm behind on the lexicon, but do you use the word hunky when referring to other men?

You might if you were reading the teleprompter like he is.

Now that Emmitt has won, I wonder how that will play on the NFL games this week / weekend?
post #273 of 5463
We really enjoy the show. I think it's refreshing to see some good people work hard at something they're not comfortable with and have a great time. I never would have guessed that Emmitt was such a humble and kind person, same for Jerry Springer.

I thought Emmitt's speech to Cheryl about how much she meant to him was very eloquent and touching. We all know Mario is the better dancer, but it was good to see Emmitt win.
post #274 of 5463
I thought it was interesting how they kept Sarah and her divorce situation very low-key. Here in Nashville, there isn't much news at all anymore about sarah Evans.
At any rate, it was nice to see her on the show, dancing, and also commenting what DWTS meant to her. Great job, Sarah, and good luck!

(also, what's the deal with Mario and his partner? Are they an item?)

nc
post #275 of 5463
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillecat View Post

I thought it was interesting how they kept Sarah and her divorce situation very low-key. Here in Nashville, there isn't much news at all anymore about sarah Evans.
At any rate, it was nice to see her on the show, dancing, and also commenting what DWTS meant to her. Great job, Sarah, and good luck!

(also, what's the deal with Mario and his partner? Are they an item?)

nc

She looked good last night.

post #276 of 5463
(From Marc Berman's Thursday, Nov. 16, 2006, Programming Insider blog at Mediaweek.com )

ABC sailed past midweek with another Wednesday victory courtesy of Dancing With the Stars.The season-finale of Dancing With the Stars kicked up its heels with a mammoth 27.22 million viewers and a 7.0 rating/18 share among adults 18-49 from 8-9 p.m. Comparably, that almost beat the four competing networks combined in total viewers"

http://pifeedback.com/eve/?cdra=Y&s=32410241
post #277 of 5463
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post

We all know Mario is the better dancer, but it was good to see Emmitt win.

I agree but I am not a professional judge. Since the three professional judges had Mario and Emmitt equal the last two weeks (5 dances) it make you wonder. If Mario was doing better from a technical standpoint, the judges' score should have reflected that. Then allow the audience to determine whether Emmitt's entertainment value was more than enough to offset the difference.
post #278 of 5463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

I agree but I am not a professional judge. Since the three professional judges had Mario and Emmitt equal the last two weeks (5 dances) it make you wonder. If Mario was doing better from a technical standpoint, the judges' score should have reflected that. Then allow the audience to determine whether Emmitt's entertainment value was more than enough to offset the difference.

Considering the judges' scores were identical over the last 2 weeks, it seems pretty clear to me that it was "fixed" to ensure that the audience made the final choice. Because of that, the poorer dancer won. You could see the look on Corina's face (Mario was predictably diplomatic/resigned). That hot, latin temper; she knew they had just been robbed.

Wonder who the lucky stiff is who'll be getting Cheryl Burke (far and away the best female pro) as a partner come the new season in March? Maybe they'll be bidding for her.
post #279 of 5463
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Wonder who the lucky stiff is who'll be getting Cheryl Burke (far and away the best female pro) as a partner come the new season in March? Maybe they'll be bidding for her.

From People:

'Runners up Lopez, 33, and partner Karina Smirnoff couldn't hide their disappointment about coming in second place. Tears streamed down Smirnoff's face as she reluctantly talked to reporters and the usually jovial Lopez tried to console her.

"Apparently world-class dancing wasn't enough. That wasn't the criteria it was based on," a dejected Lopez told PEOPLE. "I don't really care about the trophy. I just wanted to win for Karina. She is honestly the best dancer in the world. No disrespect to the other girls on this show, but they don't hold a candle to her."'
post #280 of 5463
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

"Apparently world-class dancing wasn't enough. That wasn't the criteria it was based on," a dejected Lopez told PEOPLE. "I don't really care about the trophy. I just wanted to win for Karina. She is honestly the best dancer in the world. No disrespect to the other girls on this show, but they don't hold a candle to her."'

Well, he's not really being objective about it, and he didn't dance with anyone but Karina. Most observers, not to mention our own "unofficial" tally here on this thread, easily give the best dancer award to Cheryl. Karina was good, sure, but she's no Cheryl Burke.
post #281 of 5463
It would seem that this show is nothing more than a popularity contest not a true 'judgement' of the dancers skills. Earlier in the season when Mario was marked down for not staying within the 'rules' I thought the judges actually used rules to judge them by until they started marking Emmit up for being a regular guy who learned how to dance and got better as the show progressed. Mario came into the competition at a disadvantage since he already knew how to dance and was held to a higher standard. The professional partners also are key since they choreograph each routine and some do a better job than others. In the end the public decided who was the better dancer and as such it was nothing more than a popularity contest. I think they need to get rid of the judges since they don't really judge in the strict sense but only offer opinions on what they see and toss in showmanship and entertainment value as ways to mark up or down. The show is wildly popular and the final pulled huge ratings so I doubt the format will change but maybe it should.
post #282 of 5463
Thread Starter 
If this show is following true to form from the British version (and both Len and Bruno are judges there as well), everything here is (and should be) the same in terms of how the show is run. Judging of this is still pretty much, subjective.
post #283 of 5463
In another forum somebody mentioned that the judges shuld each give two scores. One on technical merit and one on artistic merit like ice skating.

The problem is they will never do anything that gives one performer much of a lead over another. For example if they revealed the audience votes each night it would probably have been apparent Emmit had been in the lead since day one no matter how good the other dancers were. People would then turn off the show like a taped sports game they heard the final score on.

The big rating numbers shows this technique works well and will last for a while.
It does disenfranchise anybody who ever took dance training because they are more critical and look at technical merit. My daughter took Dance for 10 years and shakes her head at the bogus scoring.
post #284 of 5463
From what I've seen of the UK version, the US scores seem inflated. Interesting as two of the three judges are from the UK's version. Of course we get more flamboyant Bruno 10s ! It also seems we get more female skin too.
post #285 of 5463
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

If this show is following true to form from the British version (and both Len and Bruno are judges there as well), everything here is (and should be) the same in terms of how the show is run. Judging of this is still pretty much, subjective.

You make perfect sense except that the attitude of the British towards ballroom dancing is far different from that of Americans. As I'm sure most if not all of you know, dancing is taken much more seriously in England than it is here and it is quite possible that the UK audience would not be amused with the judging "standards" Len and the others employed on this side of the pond. I'm pretty sure that the UK version used International Standard dances (Foxtrot, Waltz, etc.) while we do the smooth versions. So despite the fact the "judges" are the same the standards used could easily be vastly different.

And ursa99, I couldn't have said it better myself.

=NLK=
post #286 of 5463
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlk10010 View Post

You make perfect sense except that the attitude of the British towards ballroom dancing is far different from that of Americans. As I'm sure most if not all of you know, dancing is taken much more seriously in England than it is here and it is quite possible that the UK audience would not be amused with the judging "standards" Len and the others employed on this side of the pond. I'm pretty sure that the UK version used International Standard dances (Foxtrot, Waltz, etc.) while we do the smooth versions. So despite the fact the "judges" are the same the standards used could easily be vastly different.

And ursa99, I couldn't have said it better myself.

=NLK=

I'm not an expert - but I think we run standard ballroom Foxtrot and Waltz. They introduced the American Smooth as a separate dance when the series was extended after the relatively short launch season, to allow for more variety of dances over the run.

This year the UK competition has seen some really good celebrity dancers - the standard seems to be higher than previous years - though there have also been some shock exits. (A guy tipped as a finalist contender was eliminated last week - leaving the judges visibly shocked)
post #287 of 5463
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

From what I've seen of the UK version, the US scores seem inflated. Interesting as two of the three judges are from the UK's version. Of course we get more flamboyant Bruno 10s ! It also seems we get more female skin too.

I think you get more female celebrity skin - I think our female expert dancers are showing quite lot at times though (though on the Latin dances mainly).

Partially this may be because our celebrities are from a wider base - we've had at least two over 60 year old women dancing in previous years, and quite a few the other side of 40. I'm not saying these ladies are unattractive, but understandably some of them are more covered up!
post #288 of 5463
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Partially this may be because our celebrities are from a wider base - we've had at least two over 60 year old women dancing in previous years, and quite a few the other side of 40. I'm not saying these ladies are unattractive, but understandably some of them are more covered up!

That will soooo not happen here. It's okay for some of the men to be all the way up into their fifties and Jerry may have been older than that, but the women top out in their mid-30's, and not many of those. Vivica Fox was the oldest gal this time, I believe.
post #289 of 5463
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

A guy tipped as a finalist contender was eliminated last week - leaving the judges visibly shocked

Pardon my ignorance - tipped?
post #290 of 5463
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillecat View Post

...(also, what's the deal with Mario and his partner? Are they an item?)...

Based on how they responded to questions, I'd say Karina wants more out of the relationship than Mario does.
post #291 of 5463
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

Pardon my ignorance - tipped?

Kinda like we use "touted" in the US.
post #292 of 5463
Okay...this may sound nuts..but what about a more risque version of this show.

Lap dancing with the stars. Think about it........
post #293 of 5463
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

Okay...this may sound nuts..but what about a more risque version of this show.

Lap dancing with the stars. Think about it........

No, I don't think so. The family friendly nature of this show (in a world as frakked as ours is right now) is what keeps the ratings high. OK, some of the ladies costumes are somewhat skimpy, but if you were to attend a real ballroom dance competition, the ladies there wear about as much (or maybe less).

It's not a "sex" thing; it's about the judges needing to see posture, positioning and movement of arms and legs.
post #294 of 5463
Vast Audience for 'Dancing' Leaves ABC Calling for More
By Lisa de Moraes The Washington Post Friday, November 17, 2006

Emmitt Smith's waltz past Mario Lopez in ballroom dancing competition has scored the biggest audience of any television broadcast so far this season.

Which is very sweet, really.

Nearly 28 million watched Wednesday's hour-and-change finale of "Dancing With the Stars" at the end of which the three-time Super Bowl champ was crowned best amateur ballroom dancer. That's the show's biggest audience ever.

The series's penultimate episode on Tuesday and Wednesday's finale performed so well, ABC now claims the two most-watched broadcasts on TV this season.

So strong was this third edition of the dance competition, the network has decided to broadcast another round this TV season.

Speaking this week at a TV industry event in New York, ABC's scheduling guru Jeff Bader said the network hopes to bring back "Dancing" in March -- around the time "American Idol" has winnowed its wannabes down to the 12 finalists.

He told attendees ABC is still trying to figure out whether to put "Dancing" on against Fox's ratings "tsunami" or schedule it in non-"Idol" time slots, according to published reports. Good luck on that, given how his counterpart at Fox, Preston Beckman, loves to use "Idol" like a heat-seeking missile.

Wednesday night, Smith took home the Cheesetastic Disco Ball Trophy after 10 grueling weeks of mamboing, sambaing and pasodobling for the show's three judges and the voting viewers, who clearly were smitten with the charming Mr. Smith from the get-go.

During the first half of the finale, when Smith and Lopez were performing one last time for the crowd, about 26 million viewers were watching.

In the second half-hour, when this edition's first eliminated contestant, Tucker Carlson, reprised his impression of the rusty Tin Man, and Sara Evans -- who abruptly left the competition when she filed for divorce from her Republican operative husband -- was kicking up her cowboy-booted heels to "These Boots Are Made for Walking" and, we're guessing, hoping her soon-to-be-ex was getting the "one of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you" message, the audience swelled to more than 29 million viewers.

The show ran two minutes past the hour -- which translates to one more ad break at "Dancing With the Stars" prices for ABC. So by the time Smith was crowned winner of the Cheesetastic Disco Ball Trophy, about 32 million were tuned in.

"Dancing" topped the combined audiences of CBS, NBC and Fox in the Wednesday hour by about 4 million viewers and delivered ABC's biggest non-sports audience in the time period in nearly seven years.

Meanwhile, Sarah Ferguson, the duchess of York, has told celebrity suck-up show "Inside Edition" she hopes she's invited to be one of the celebs for the next round of competition.

"I'd like to go on 'Dancing With the Stars,' " she said in an interview taped to air last night, the Associated Press reported. She said she was turned on to the romantic tango dance style while visiting Buenos Aires.

Grievously, Ferguson seems destined for disappointment. She is, after all, the spokeswoman for Weight Watchers and "Dancing" is sponsored by competitor Slim-Fast.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...601739_pf.html
post #295 of 5463
DWTS in March? They will not only be network neighbors with American Idol, they'll literally be neighbors. The two studios used for these shows are next to each other in the same building. They both did air live at the same time one night in February 2006.
post #296 of 5463
Great news. This is one of the very few shows I'm watching regularly since the writers for DH and GA have ruined those shows.

Fergie might be an interesting competitor, but I'm still hoping they try for a bunch of the female sports celebs.



IMO, Mario should lighten up a little bit about not winning. DWTS is the equivalent of going to a Fantasy Baseball Camp. It's a lot of fun and you get to perform with some true champions, but just because you're the best of the amateurs doesn't mean you're as good as Barry Bonds (or even as good as the worst big league player).
post #297 of 5463
Actually I sort of consider it a tie. Both Mario and Emmit danced the same number of shows and are making the circuit together. Other than the plastic trophy what did Emmit get that Mario didnt.
post #298 of 5463
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

Pardon my ignorance - tipped?

Tipped kind of comes from UK horse racing - where a horse is "tipped" as a good "tip" to bet (wager) on at the bookies (bookmakers) when it is suggested that it is going to win.

If someone is a "tip for the top" - they are a good "bet".

Touted over here has a more derogatory connotation - as it links it with "ticket touts" who are the characters who buy tickets for events and then sell them at a significant price increase - often outside venues.


If someone is "touted" as something over here it has a negative feeling - where as "tipping" can be seen as quite a positive thing.
post #299 of 5463
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post

Actually I sort of consider it a tie. Both Mario and Emmit danced the same number of shows and are making the circuit together. Other than the plastic trophy what did Emmit get that Mario didnt.

Bragging rights, FWIW. Actually, this show may actually do a lot more for Mario in that he's "in the business" and may get some more work out of the exposure. Emmitt was just in it for a lark, basically. He's already got a lot of irons in various fires.
post #300 of 5463
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

That will soooo not happen here. It's okay for some of the men to be all the way up into their fifties and Jerry may have been older than that, but the women top out in their mid-30's, and not many of those. Vivica Fox was the oldest gal this time, I believe.

Yep - it is interesting how the two shows differ.

The winner of our series one is the 30-something female anchor of the main BBC One Six O'Clock Newscast daily over here - and at the time she won she was the main presenter of the BBC Breakfast programme. She is now a major "BBC face" - and since winning has presented the annual five+ hour Children In Need Telethon - which last year raised aroun £33million for charity (around US$60 million?)

In every season - pretty much - there has been a well known Newscaster - which I don't think is the case with the US version?

The over-60 lady contestants were Esther Rantzen (a well known TV presenter who specialised in consumer journalism - exposing con men, poor customer service etc.) and Gloria Hunniford (a well loved presenter of afternoon chat shows and religious shows)

They didn't make it past the early rounds - and this year there wasn't an "older" lady - but there have been "older" gents - though this year the older male competitor had to pull out under doctors orders.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Dancing with the Stars...on ABC...in HD!