or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Dancing with the Stars...on ABC...in HD!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dancing with the Stars...on ABC...in HD! - Page 180

post #5371 of 5470
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

Do you mean Lindsay Arnold?  (Having to spell Carson's first name without the H -- probably her manager's bright idea rather than her parents’ -- would throw anybody off.)  The males might have been Gleb Savchenko and Henry Bialykov.

As it turned out, I had no recording of Wednesday's "The View."  Either the DVR failed to record and failed to log the failure, or I had forgotten to set the recording in the first place.  It's not available on Comcast VOD but it's at abc.com, so I'll watch it there and report back.
Yeah, Lindsay, not Leslie (although I did know a lady named Leslie and she also was blonde). Even I have a brain cramp once in a while.
post #5372 of 5470
Could have sworn I posted about the November 27 "The View" but can't find it here.

Smirnoff was still absent, busy with a family emergency as they'd also said on GMA.

In the second to last segment, Bleu, Burke, and Osbourne came out to the couch, where Shepherd and McCarthy interviewed them.

In the closing segment, Riley and Hough danced to "Wings" by Little Mix, and all four panelists (including Goldberg and Walters) came out after the dance and interviewed them while standing.
post #5373 of 5470
Thread Starter 
Hi there. I'm back to announce a little St. Patrick's Day present.

DWTS season 18 starts Monday March 17. Who's in it has yet to be determined. I've seen no rumors on who is in or wants to be in. Yet.
post #5374 of 5470
Thread Starter 
I just saw this. I am shocked to say the least. eek.gifeek.gifmad.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

TV Notes
'Dancing with the Stars' fires live band to make way for 'small electric band'
By Zayda Rivera, New York Daily News - Feb. 4, 2013

"Dancing with the Stars" most recent elimination is its band.

The show's longtime music director, Harold Wheeler, was fired Monday along with his 28-member band. The orchestra has arguably been the backbone for the reality dancing competition for 17 seasons and will now be replaced by a "small electric band" intended to "attract a younger demographic."

"Since season one, Harold and his band have performed brilliant music in our ballroom for our dancers and the American viewers at home," BBC Worldwide and ABC said in a joint statement. "We are grateful to him and his band for their amazing work and years of collaboration. We wish him the best of luck."

But not everyone is so eager to watch Wheeler, 70, and his band waltz off the "DWTS" stage.

"People who love 'Dancing with the Stars' also love the superb performances of the orchestra because it is such an integral part of the show," Ray Hair, president of the American Federation of Musicians, said in a statement released by the union.

The new band will reportedly be selected by Wheeler's replacement in order to cater to a younger audience and more highly produced songs.

"We feel that there are some types of music and types of songs, a lot of modern music particularly, is so produced that it's impossible for a 28-piece band to replicate the sounds," "DWTS's" executive producer, Conrad Green, told the Hollywood Reporter in September.

"You get to a point where you're forcing a band to try and do sound that they just literally can't pull off," he added.

On the other side of the spectrum is Hair who vehemently supports the orchestra sound.

"The tight, elaborate musical productions that catapulted the show into the top 10 in 17 countries can't be duplicated by recordings and a small combo," Hair added. "Viewers, whether they are young or old, will reject that as artistic fraud."

But instead of a fraudulent sound, Green felt their new musical direction will more adequately deliver music as it is produced today.

"It took hundreds of hours in a studio to get some of those sounds. So in some cases we're thinking, 'Let's just use that song,'" he said. "What's the point in forcing a band to try and do something that's impossible to achieve?"

While the network is focusing on its younger viewers, who may be more receptive to a small band as opposed to an orchestra, Hair insisted it won't help the show but instead hurt it.

"Firing the band, using recordings and hiring fewer musicians won't boost ratings," he said. "It will kill the show."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/dwts-live-band-fired-small-electric-band-article-1.1601792

This may be the show's death knell. Or maybe a 'jump the shark' moment.
post #5375 of 5470
Thread Starter 
I have a feeling this was planned for a while now. Somebody who has inside info can help me with this, but in season 17's finale moments, when they announced the winners (Amber and Derek), if you looked behind them during that part of the show, there was nobody in the band pit area, and some of the instruments had been covered up. So the DWTS winners theme, which is played right after the announcement, was pre-recorded. mad.gif

When the show aired, it was (obviously) the last part of the show, but when it was taped or whatever, was it actually done somewhere in the middle and saved for the end? confused.gif

I don't know, now I'm not sure I want to blog about the upcoming season or just skip watching it entirely.
post #5376 of 5470

Wow what a disappointment, last year they basically eliminated the DWTS theme song as the dancers entered(you know, da da da da da da da, da da da da da!) and now the band :(

The older I get the more I resent the whole 18-24 demo that all the advertisers covet so much, at one time DWTS was the number one rated show(albeit it with the demo that apparently no one cares for) I'm not positive but I don't believe last season faired nearly as well after they implemented several changes that I'd call chasing the younger demo. Funny thing is I've got teen kids(the exact demo advertisers are falling all over themselves for) and even after the changes least year, they wouldn't be caught dead watching DWTS. Sure they may watch the bit with a popular singer but as soon as the dancing starts they are gone. SYTYCD caters to the younger demo and seems to be doing even worse than DWTS......unfortunately I see this latest development as a continued spiral of a once favorite show.

Makes me wonder if some of the long time pros who seem to be leaving got wind of what was going on and it hastened there leaving......sure every year we seem to lose a few but last year especially seemed more longtime pros left.

Does anyone know if Britain has a live band, what about the other DWTS countries?

post #5377 of 5470
I was very disappointed last season when they eliminated the DWTS opening theme song. Changed the whole look and feel of the program. A big void. What they should have done is keep the band, and simply add a popular DJ into the mix when certain versions of popular songs could be better used with an actual version. So keep the band and add a DJ. Best of both worlds.
post #5378 of 5470
Thread Starter 
post #5379 of 5470
I'm aware of Chew, who's a competent musician, but this is the very reason true music has deteriorated over the last 25-30 years: "band in a box". The young folks need to know about and learn how a real band sounds, instead of all the drum machining auto-tuning crap. ABC/Disney is NOT broke. And for that reason, this "shark" is out...
rolleyes.giftongue.gif
post #5380 of 5470
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

I'm aware of Chew, who's a competent musician, but this is the very reason true music has deteriorated over the last 25-30 years: "band in a box". The young folks need to know about and learn how a real band sounds, instead of all the drum machining auto-tuning crap.
Have you tasted a Mounds or Hershey's bar lately? You wouldn't recognize them compared to how they used to taste 25 years ago when there was REAL CHOCOLATE and real sugar used.

I agree with you. It's a real shame how times have changed and things have "progressed".
post #5381 of 5470
But let me be perfectly clear: there's a place for drum machines and synthesizers, as I own a few. But ballroom-dancing to a minimalist band should be an insult to anyone present; there's NOTHING like a real band in the room. Really bad decision. Soon, we'll have stringed instruments and woodwinds in a museum. "You really used to blow into that thing, grandpa?"
post #5382 of 5470
The show is not the same without that opening theme song, and that over the top, camp and extravagant feel to the program. It was a major void last season and I am less likely to tune in. Except for the bantering and bickering amongst the judges, something is lacking, the basic vibe and feel of the show has changed. Won't be the same without the live band.
post #5383 of 5470

If you look at the ratings (even compared to the overall trend) they are pretty much forced into some changes (lower costs - more attractive to target market). Two nights, one night... going on no nights? Personally, I enjoyed the live band. Not so much when they tried to cover recent hits but overall they added to or created the ambience of the show.

 

Did anyone else see that Derek was a consultant for the gold medal Ice Dancers?

 

The dynamic duo has been skating together for the past 17 years, but their secret weapon in scoring the Olympic gold was the master of the mirror ball, Derek Hough.

 

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2014/02/dwts-choreographer-derek-hough-makes-olympic-history-with-us-ice-dancers/

post #5384 of 5470
From the Hot Off The Press thread - the downsizing continues with the firing of Brooke- Burke Charvet just weeks before the season premiere. She evidently didn't see it coming at all. By next season, maybe Tom will come out with a boom box for the music.
post #5385 of 5470
Thats too bad because Brooke's twins provided eye candy for the show.
post #5386 of 5470
post #5387 of 5470
Quote:
Originally Posted by juancmjr View Post

But Erin Andrews' twins could be just as good.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/erin-andrews-replace-brooke-burke-charvet-dancing-stars-230500556-us-weekly.html

They're not, but that's beside the point. Whether she's as good is not as important as the fact that she's undoubtedly cheaper. That's the trend at DWTS as it begins its final decent into irrelevancy.

Erin Andrews is a master of self-promotion. Nobody has ever gotten so far on so little a "violation of privacy" -- she recognized an opportunity when it came knocking outside her hotel room. And she seized it with both hands. The woman is nothing if not ambitious.
post #5388 of 5470
Thread Starter 
I'm still on the fence about tracking this season.

My guess, if the ratings hold, even a little bit, they'll do a spring season and then end the run. (Hey, it's been a good run, far better than anyone expected).
post #5389 of 5470
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

My guess, if the ratings hold, even a little bit, they'll do a spring season and then end the run.
Dinger, this is a spring season about to start.  (Yes, I note that you live in a place with no meteorological seasons.)  If the ratings tank precipitously and this turns out to be the end, that will still be doing a spring season and ending the run.  Your comment is equivalent to saying you expect this new season to be the last regardless of its ratings; is that what you meant to say?
post #5390 of 5470
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

Dinger, this is a spring season about to start.  (Yes, I note that you live in a place with no meteorological seasons.)  If the ratings tank precipitously and this turns out to be the end, that will still be doing a spring season and ending the run.  Your comment is equivalent to saying you expect this new season to be the last regardless of its ratings; is that what you meant to say?
Yes, this could be the last hurrah. I was thinking it was fall season (It was late at night, so I wasn't 100 per cent coherent. Hey it happens biggrin.gif) so there might be conflicts with Erin's hosting duties and her NFL schedule.

If the ratings tank (and they may do a lot due to all the changes), that would be it. Interesting that Tom B hasn't chimed in with any commentary either way. Maybe taking a wait and see attitude.

(Then again, the changes might inject new life blood into the series. You never know.)
post #5391 of 5470
Good move getting rid of Brooke. Pretty women are a dime a dozen and she had the personality of a wallflower--not to mention she asked the most ridiculous questions during her interviews.
post #5392 of 5470
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKlim View Post

Good move getting rid of Brooke. Pretty women are a dime a dozen and she had the personality of a wallflower--not to mention she asked the most ridiculous questions during her interviews.

Well, yes, but, to be fair, Samantha Harris did this as well. It seems the art of asking interesting questions and then listening and responding to the person you're interviewing is too precious a commodity to waste on a broadcast variety show.

Look, at the beginning, I had hoped that DWTS would prove to be a ballroom competition show with better music and dancers with an additional dimension. Sort of a low-budget deal where the judges would entertain viewers by skewering B-List celebrities. It started out within hailing distance of that concept; although I didn't consider the vast majority of the music "better", and there were really few standards imposed on the dancing itself, at least it was interesting to watch. As time went on the "standards" dissolved even further, the judges became part of the entertainment and the music (granted, a matter of personal taste) degenerated. After a while I would just watch because my wife liked it, and frankly it was not a very pleasant use of my time.

Look, the only audience (of course all this is IMHO) which is going to like something resembling ballroom dancing, with simulated judging and a live band playing decent music is going to be an older demographic. I've always thought a "proper" DWTS would probably play well on local, public TV in places in the Midwest and South where ballroom dancing, live bands and older music are still popular. Granted, again, an older demographic but one of a size that would probably support a show of this type on a local or regional basis.

I don't blame ABC, they're in business to make money and younger is where the money is. IIRC, Fox tried a "Sinatra-themed" night on American Idol, and it was a disaster. I think that disabused TV executives of the notion that shows that might appeal to an older crowd could work.
post #5393 of 5470
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlk10010 View Post

Well, yes, but, to be fair, Samantha Harris did this as well.

I agree, but to a lesser extent. Samantha at least appeared engaged during the show and less wooden. Brooke comes across as too self-aware and into herself. That’s why going from Samantha to Brooke was a step down to me.

I think Erin will be an improvement from Brooke, though I could see how her voice might wear thin after a while (my wife thinks it’s a bit nasally—can’t please everyone I guess).

I can see the challenge in finding the right girl. Who fits the definition of relatively well known spokes-model who also has some personality, but is subdued enough to not out stage Bergeron (which I’m sure he prefers)?

If sticking to the “attractive female co-host” motif, a better fit might be an attractive C-list actress rather than a model. Or heck, is there a fairly attractive female comedienne out there? But if all the producers really want is eye candy and nothing more, then it may not matter. Viewers such as me may just have to get over it and groan our way through the pre and post dance interviews as usual.
post #5394 of 5470
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKlim View Post

I agree, but to a lesser extent. Samantha at least appeared engaged during the show and less wooden. Brooke comes across as too self-aware and into herself. That’s why going from Samantha to Brooke was a step down to me.

I think Erin will be an improvement from Brooke, though I could see how her voice might wear thin after a while (my wife thinks it’s a bit nasally—can’t please everyone I guess).

I can see the challenge in finding the right girl. Who fits the definition of relatively well known spokes-model who also has some personality, but is subdued enough to not out stage Bergeron (which I’m sure he prefers)?

If sticking to the “attractive female co-host” motif, a better fit might be an attractive C-list actress rather than a model. Or heck, is there a fairly attractive female comedienne out there? But if all the producers really want is eye candy and nothing more, then it may not matter. Viewers such as me may just have to get over it and groan our way through the pre and post dance interviews as usual.

I'm just wondering what celebrity will be the first to go all "Richard Sherman" on her. biggrin.gif
post #5395 of 5470
Thread Starter 
You either like a female co-host or not. On WipeOut, people never warmed up to Vanessa Lachey, which is why Jill Wagner (and all her snarky commenatary) was brought back.
post #5396 of 5470
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlk10010 View Post

Well, yes, but, to be fair, Samantha Harris did this as well. It seems the art of asking interesting questions and then listening and responding to the person you're interviewing is too precious a commodity to waste on a broadcast variety show.

Harris was horrendous. One of the reasons, among many, I stopped watching long ago. But I pop back in here occasionally just to see who's still around. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by "nlk10010 
Look, at the beginning, I had hoped that DWTS would prove to be a ballroom competition show with better music and dancers with an additional dimension. Sort of a low-budget deal where the judges would entertain viewers by skewering B-List celebrities. It started out within hailing distance of that concept; although I didn't consider the vast majority of the music "better", and there were really few standards imposed on the dancing itself, at least it was interesting to watch. As time went on the "standards" dissolved even further, the judges became part of the entertainment and the music (granted, a matter of personal taste) degenerated. After a while I would just watch because my wife liked it, and frankly it was not a very pleasant use of my time.

We watched for the first few seasons and then the attraction wore thin. Same thing, every week. And to make matters worse, ABC had it on multiple hours on multiple nights, then two seasons a year - overexposure. It's like AI or 'The Voice' that way -- it just carves a huge swath through prime-time that could be used for more creative, intelligent programming. Or, more procedurals or mind-numbing sitcoms, take your pick. wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by "nlk10010 
Look, the only audience (of course all this is IMHO) which is going to like something resembling ballroom dancing, with simulated judging and a live band playing decent music is going to be an older demographic. I've always thought a "proper" DWTS would probably play well on local, public TV in places in the Midwest and South where ballroom dancing, live bands and older music are still popular. Granted, again, an older demographic but one of a size that would probably support a show of this type on a local or regional basis.

PBS used to have that show - real, professional ballroom dancers in real, professional competitions. Some of them even ended up as pros on DWTS. It was hosted, as I recall, by the incomparable and beautiful Marilu Henner, she of superior autobiographical memory fame (not to mention 'Taxi'). She probably never forgot a single performance of anyone, anywhere, at any time. tongue.gif
post #5397 of 5470
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

-snip-
PBS used to have that show - real, professional ballroom dancers in real, professional competitions. Some of them even ended up as pros on DWTS. It was hosted, as I recall, by the incomparable and beautiful Marilu Henner, she of superior autobiographical memory fame (not to mention 'Taxi'). She probably never forgot a single performance of anyone, anywhere, at any time. tongue.gif

Yes, true, and I enjoyed them. My point was that I had hoped DWTS would be an interesting variant of true competitions, one which used more popular music (one of the reasons I got into the whole ballroom scene was because I just loved dancing to some of my favorite tunes). As well, the idea of seeing the "vaguely familiar" ( to use Jeffrey Ross' priceless term) struggle through something truly difficult and then have to stand before stuffy judges, who couldn't care less about who they were or purported to be, and take criticism was really intriguing. I guess what I was really thinking about were local or regional rural networks like RFD-TV or FamilyNet, which could produce this kind of show (it really needn't be high-budget) and air it to an audience who would appreciate it. They wouldn't demand music that might not be danceable just to appeal to younger people (who couldn't care less about ballroom) and the judges wouldn't have to sacrifice their integrity just for ratings. The network could even invite a live audience and have periods when they let them get up on the floor and dance.

Again, however, that's just my take on things. To paraphrase some aliens in a famous "Star Trek" episode: "You have your entertainment, we have ours, may yours be as pleasant". smile.gif
Edited by nlk10010 - 2/25/14 at 10:56am
post #5398 of 5470
Thread Starter 
March 4 on GMA will be the official announce of cast and pro partner pairings.
post #5399 of 5470
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

March 4 on GMA will be the official announce of cast and pro partner pairings.

 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/03/04/dancing-with-the-stars-unveils-season-18-cast/5981855/

 

I guess at some point during the season they will switch partners... not sure I like that at all.

 

"You have to change things every so often to keep them fresh," says executive producer Conrad Green.

The show's audience was slightly smaller (averaging 15 million viewers) and older last fall. And while it is roughly tied with The Voice in total viewers, Dancing has only about half that show's young-adult audience. The median age of a Dancing viewer is 61.6, the second-oldest of any major-network primetime series.

"We have to be mindful of keeping hold of younger audiences," says Green, who admits, "Ours does skew a little older."

post #5400 of 5470
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/03/04/dancing-with-the-stars-unveils-season-18-cast/5981855/

I guess at some point during the season they will switch partners... not sure I like that at all.

"You have to change things every so often to keep them fresh," says executive producer Conrad Green.



The show's audience was slightly smaller (averaging 15 million viewers) and older last fall. And while it is roughly tied with The Voice in total viewers, Dancing has only about half that show's young-adult audience. The median age of a Dancing viewer is 61.6, the second-oldest of any major-network primetime series.



"We have to be mindful of keeping hold of younger audiences," says Green, who admits, "Ours does skew a little older."


Here are some of the changes, beyond what we already know.

Maks is back.

Witney and Henry move from the troupe to active partnering. (Tristan relegated to the troupe??)

Still no Kym Johnson.

The Skybox is back for interviews.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Dancing with the Stars...on ABC...in HD!