or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › TiVo Series 3 - "Official" Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TiVo Series 3 - "Official" Thread - Page 208

post #6211 of 6251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred C. Dobbs View Post
Good (and bad) to know.

I also have an external drive attached.

Are there directions on -line on how to replace one or both?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

FCD
It could be the eSATA that is causing you an issue. If it isn't doing it all the time then don't worry about it, but if it does happen on a regular basis then most people recommend not using an external HD and replacing with a larger internal hard drive.

If you want instructions, go to the TiVo HD thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=879469

Same works for the S3 for the most part and there is a complete guide on how to do everything.

You may lose your recordings in doing this. But read the guide carefully, there may be a way to do it without losing your recordings. Personally I'd just back all mine up to my Mac.
post #6212 of 6251
I just was checking out the list of compatible devices for the free streaming service for Amazon Prime members...here are the TiVo devices listed:

TiVo TCD746320 Premiere DVR (Black)
TiVo TCD748000 Premiere XL DVR (Black)
TiVo TCD658000 HD XL DVR
TiVo TCD652160 HD Digital Video Recorder
TiVo TCD540080 Series 2 80-Hour Digital Video Recorder
TiVo TCD649080 Series2 80-Hour Dual-Tuner Digital Video Recorder
TiVo TCD540080 Series 2 80-Hour Digital Video Recorder

Is it just me or is there some serious 'no love' going on for those of us with S3s??? Don't know whether to laugh or just shake my head...

Randy
post #6213 of 6251
interesting. I still have an S3 in the closet, I don't know if it works.

I think my HD TiVo's got an update last night. Both had rebooted and both had the tuner adapter connected message. Looks like there is a k in the serial number and I don't think that was there before.
post #6214 of 6251
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFLYSWA View Post

I just was checking out the list of compatible devices for the free streaming service for Amazon Prime members...here are the TiVo devices listed:

TiVo TCD746320 Premiere DVR (Black)
TiVo TCD748000 Premiere XL DVR (Black)
TiVo TCD658000 HD XL DVR
TiVo TCD652160 HD Digital Video Recorder
TiVo TCD540080 Series 2 80-Hour Digital Video Recorder
TiVo TCD649080 Series2 80-Hour Dual-Tuner Digital Video Recorder
TiVo TCD540080 Series 2 80-Hour Digital Video Recorder

Is it just me or is there some serious 'no love' going on for those of us with S3s??? Don't know whether to laugh or just shake my head...

Randy

Where'd you find that list? No TiVo is currently supported for Amazon Prime Video because there's no TiVo streaming app for it. The Amazon app on TiVo is download only and APV is streaming only (the download Amazon Instant Video app does work on S3).
post #6215 of 6251
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Where'd you find that list? No TiVo is currently supported for Amazon Prime Video because there's no TiVo streaming app for it. The Amazon app on TiVo is download only and APV is streaming only (the download Amazon Instant Video app does work on S3).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/devices#DVR

Upon further review, it doesn't specifically state streaming works...but it doesn't differentiate between streaming and non- in their compatibility listing. Of course, my S3 does work with their downloads, so since it isn't listed I figured this was more a streaming compatibility list. My apologies if I put out bogus info...it sure wasn't intentional...

Randy
post #6216 of 6251
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFLYSWA View Post

http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/devices#DVR

Upon further review, it doesn't specifically state streaming works...but it doesn't differentiate between streaming and non- in their compatibility listing. Of course, my S3 does work with their downloads, so since it isn't listed I figured this was more a streaming compatibility list.

If you look at this page, which comes up if you click the "Watch On Your TV" link, you'll see a little 3x3 matrix of brand logos at the top, including TiVo's, marked with an asterisk. Under the matrix is written "*Prime instant videos are not currently available on TiVo devices".

There's a "Free Amazon Video On Demand With Amazon Prime!!!" thread at TiVo Community Forums featuring a bunch of pissing and moaning about the situation.
post #6217 of 6251
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

There's a "Free Amazon Video On Demand With Amazon Prime!!!" thread at TiVo Community Forums featuring a bunch of pissing and moaning about the situation.

People pissing and moaning about something in the TiVo Forum? Don't they give you a permaban for doing that?
post #6218 of 6251
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

If you look at this page, which comes up if you click the "Watch On Your TV" link, you'll see a little 3x3 matrix of brand logos at the top, including TiVo's, marked with an asterisk. Under the matrix is written "*Prime instant videos are not currently available on TiVo devices".

There's a "Free Amazon Video On Demand With Amazon Prime!!!" thread at TiVo Community Forums featuring a bunch of pissing and moaning about the situation.

Got it...I blazed right past that. Thanks for straightening me out. I wonder why they don't list the Series 3 in the other area. Oh well, at least I know that having a Premier wouldn't do me any good....

Randy
post #6219 of 6251
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEvermore View Post

Our Series3 HD TiVo recently stopped working. The initial symptom was that the video gradually deteriorated as faint wavy lines appeared and moved up and down and back and forth across the screen. This lasted for a couple of months and I just didn't take the time to try to diagnose what was causing it. The effect was similar to what you would see if there was electrical interference affecting the coaxial cable but without static, only an ever-changing pattern of wavy lines that shifted their dance across the screen and disappeared and then reappeared.

But a couple of weeks ago the unit suddenly stopped displaying programming and started rebooting. It would display the Welcome screen for a few minutes, then the screen would go black for some seconds and then go back to the Welcome screen and this would continue until I pulled the power cord.

Thinking the problem was caused by corrupted data on the aging hard drive, I purchased a Western Digital WD10EVDS and copied the old hard drive using WinMFS and installed the new drive in the unit. When I started it up, it still would not progress past the Welcome screen and after some minutes would reboot. So, thinking perhaps the original hard drive had passed along corrupted settings to the new WD hard drive, I used the hard drive from a second, working TiVo S3 HD to try to initialize the new hard drive but it still would only boot to the Welcome screen and then loop back to the Welcome screen again and again. During this process, I tried a full copy of the original, failing hard drive. Then I tried a truncated copy of the original hard drive. Then I tried a truncated copy of the hard drive from a different TiVo S3 HD. In each case, the unit would start to boot to the Welcome screen and then restart.
At this point I tried WinMFS's bootpage fix with option 1. This didn't yield any better results. I then tried bootpage fix option 2 with similar results.
Then I read online that some of the WD green hard drives were being distributed with the intellipark feature so I created a boot CD with wdidle3.exe on it and ran wdidle3 /D to change the park setting to 62 minutes. This still didn't stop the endless reboot loop.
I then pulled both of the multi-stream cable cards and powered up. This time the unit progressed through the entire boot process until it got to the point where it realized there were no cable cards installed. It notified me that it was expecting two cards and instructed me to install the cards.
I followed the instructions on the screen which said to install the cable cards with the bottom card to be inserted first, but as soon as I installed the first cable card, the unit rebooted and entered the familiar boot sequence loop.

I tried booting the unit with only one cable card installed in the first position and that resulted in the endless reboot loop. I tried booting with only the second cable card installed and it entered the endless reboot loop. I tried swapping the cards and it entered the endless reboot loop. In short, I tried several different variations involving the cable cards and the only persistent observation was that the unit would not progress past the Welcome screen with the cards installed and, if I booted without the cards installed, it would immediately reboot as soon as either of the cable cards was installed.

With the combination of the faint wavy lines that dance across the screen and the reboot loop that only occurs when the cable cards are installed in the unit, I concluded that the power supply may be failing and has become too weak to provide adequate, stable voltage to the unit while the cable cards are installed.

I have ordered a new power supply to see if that will fix the problem.
Does anyone have any additional thoughts about this? Any other trouble shooting suggestions? At this point I am just trying to apply logical tests to see if I can get the unit to work but I do not have any formal education in electronics and I do not have specialized testing equipment to tell me if any of the motherboard components might be causing the problem. The power supply replacement seems like an easy and prudent measure to take based on the symptoms I'm experiencing but I wonder if someone with more experience sees something that would be worth investigating that I haven't tried yet.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

I have the same issues with my S3 Tivo. Did you ever replace the power supply? Did you figure out a solution to the problem?

Thanks
post #6220 of 6251
i figure the @S\\3 has been around now for 5 years? Now depending upon use I suppose and other factors and my final analysts is upgrade to the premier.

There si nos sense IMHO in going with an out dated but nevertheless and outstanding machine But TiVo is indicating that support for the S3 and HD2 is going by the way side

Sometimes I even wonder if a DVR is even necessary. I mean you have your pay for view, look back. you jiss out on start over and rewind. But I'll probably stay with my TiVo's.

I have a S3 I haven't fired up in 2 year. I think the eSata iswhhat killed it
post #6221 of 6251
I have a close friend who's a SW engineer at TiVo and I've heard way too much about the Premiere to be interested. At this point, if my S3 were to die, I'm not sure that I'd replace it with a TiVo if I couldn't get another S3; I might actually prefer to lease a cable provider DVR.

Don't get me wrong--I paid $700 for my S3 5 years ago and PLS makes $1100 and I consider every penny of it well spent. But all I need my DVR for is timeshifting television, watching recorded and live TV and I doubt that TiVo is going to do anything to enhance that functionality on the Premiere. The only that might tempt me is the 4-tuner/2TB "Premiere Elite" that I'm hearing about, but it's likely to cost more than I'd be willing to spend at this point (and is complete overkill for my situation; 3 tuner, 1TB would be good enough ).
post #6222 of 6251
But why is that, Mike? What is your Tivo friend saying that makes you think they have no intention of fixing the Premiere's obvious problems? Or updating the ancient Netflix and Amazon apps, etc.?

Sad, if true - looks like Tivo is abandoning the retail customer in favor of sucking up to the cableCos and milking patents. And then I read that the 'new' DirectTivo coming out is actually year-old hardware running software that's not been seriously updated either. What gives?
post #6223 of 6251
Personally I'm shocked that the Premier is still even using cable cards. Tru2Way is the way they should be making all their DVR's

Cable companies have is some ways almost eliminated the reason to have a DVR in the first place. With their Start Over feature, their ability to go back to a show you missed, and not to mention On Demand for just about everything conceivable for many a DVR isn't even required.

I'd still want one though. Now I haven't used a cable DVR for years but from what I understand the new boxes running Navigator in Time Warner seem to be pretty nice. At least the software is attractive. The question becomes does it actually record when you tell it to? I found that to be a serious issue with my old DVR from the cable company (SA 8300 SARA.)

I don't know a lot of details about it but the new Signature service that TWC has, also marketed as a "whole house DVR" is suppose to be able to record 4 channels at once. I don't know if that's 4 HD channels, there is a 500 GB Hard Drive and I believe you can install an eSata with it. This in my area is made by Samsung.

Right now my cable cards are costing me $10.00 a month. I could get 2 DVR's from the cable company with all the bells and whistles for an additional $4.00 a month. i'm going to hang on to my TiVo's for as long as possible but there may come a time when I let them go.
post #6224 of 6251
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I have a close friend who's a SW engineer at TiVo and I've heard way too much about the Premiere to be interested.

I have used over a half dozen Premieres and for DVRing outside of one software release they have been rock solid. App wise certainly not the most exciting however again outside of one software releases where my bandwidth was right on the border (of their HD) they have worked. Will things like their HD interface get resolved... who knows but their advisory surveys sure dig into the details. Now if their software followed through it would be something else. I think as they have fallen behind their price drop (last few I purchased for $60 - brand new) have keep them in the game (at least for me).
post #6225 of 6251
I have a feeling everyone knows this already, but the iPad App now works with TiVo HD and the S3.

Sort of.

I tried it on my iPad, I requested a 6:15 pm on 10/6 of the documentary "George Harrison, Living in The Material World."

Email I got back said no can do, two other programs recording at that time of 9:00. Try viewing other showings.

No, that wasn't what I asked for. And I did do that.

So I went to my TiVo itself and set up the recording.

I notice even when you try to set up an SP for a show like on HBO where they have it repeating it will come back with a message saying something like "Your request for ………. could not be completed. There are two showings at the same time with higher priority…etc."

But in those situations I also select the one I know when there is no recording. Oddly enough it does set up the Season Pass like I want it, it's just kind of odd the way they word the response to you.

Also for Android people there is an App for the S2 and HD TiVo as well. I downloaded it on my phone, I haven't tried it yet. If you search for that one simply search TiVo (In the Market), nothing else. There is another one but that only works on the Premier.
post #6226 of 6251
I am at a lost on two items with respect to TiVo and one of them I would appreciate if anyone could give me some help.

The TiVo season pass to me is a fantastic feature which I use regularly. However, some shows that do come in on my TW cable absolutely will not work with Season Pass. I can look up the show, see upcoming episodes and it will not record via Season Pass. I have to manually set the shows. Is there a fix I can do for this problem? Normally, I set for new episodes, either on time start and end or 1-2 minutes early and over time.


Rant - I have a lifetime subscription and wanted to upgrade my system to a newer TiVo. Seems TiVo offers nearly NOTHING worthwhile on either a second TiVo with lifetime sub or a replacement upgrade. This is extremely disappointing. I want to retire this system or perhaps give it to a friend (who would end up paying for subscription) and get myself the latest unit. TiVo shoots itself in the foot with their program that states one can only replace with like model. This is every counter to good will to customers and spreading their devices via customer to new customer base. - Well rant over.

I look forward to any help on the TiVo Season Pass problem. Thanks in advance.
post #6227 of 6251
hmmmm No TiVo users that can offer up some help?
post #6228 of 6251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post

I am at a lost on two items with respect to TiVo and one of them I would appreciate if anyone could give me some help.

The TiVo season pass to me is a fantastic feature which I use regularly. However, some shows that do come in on my TW cable absolutely will not work with Season Pass. I can look up the show, see upcoming episodes and it will not record via Season Pass. I have to manually set the shows. Is there a fix I can do for this problem? Normally, I set for new episodes, either on time start and end or 1-2 minutes early and over time.


Rant - I have a lifetime subscription and wanted to upgrade my system to a newer TiVo. Seems TiVo offers nearly NOTHING worthwhile on either a second TiVo with lifetime sub or a replacement upgrade. This is extremely disappointing. I want to retire this system or perhaps give it to a friend (who would end up paying for subscription) and get myself the latest unit. TiVo shoots itself in the foot with their program that states one can only replace with like model. This is every counter to good will to customers and spreading their devices via customer to new customer base. - Well rant over.

I look forward to any help on the TiVo Season Pass problem. Thanks in advance.
If your season pass specs new only, and it's a repeat, it will not record.
If you tell it to keep only a certain number of shows and also keep til I delete, it will stop recording once the keep only limit has been reached.

This is an old thread, so I'm not sure how many folks monitor it.
post #6229 of 6251
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFLYSWA View Post

A lot of people have wanted to have the ability to manually map in-the-clear cable channels for the TiVo so guide data could be used for scheduling without CableCards since this thread began. People understood it would only occur for non-encrypted channels, and most seemed fairly shocked that it wasn't already included, if I recall correctly. So while it is reasonable to say that the TiVos weren't designed to do it, is probably also fair to say that a significant number of folks expected them to work on this down the line, particularly given TiVo's reputation for listening to their user community. It might have to be offered through some sort of 'backdoor' approach due to supportability concerns, but most thought it would be forthcoming. So while to say it hasn't been 'fixed' wasn't necessarily accurate, the question wasn't what I would call unreasonable....just my $.02....
Randy
Apparently nothing has changes in over five years. A massive failure and shortsightedness for what is suppose to be the DVR. rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Miller View Post

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not recommending the Sonys. I was merely responding to a post that implied it would be difficult to find a DVR that could provide guide data for digital cable channels received without CableCARDs. The Sonys are an easy rebuttal to such arguments.
Some people seem to think it is complicated or unprecedented to provide guide data for digital cable channels without CableCARDs, when it is neither. It is a great shortcoming of the TiVo, IMHO.
Well put.

.
Edited by videobruce - 1/29/13 at 5:18am
post #6230 of 6251
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFLYSWA View Post

A lot of people have wanted to have the ability to manually map in-the-clear cable channels for the TiVo so guide data could be used for scheduling without CableCards since this thread began. People understood it would only occur for non-encrypted channels, and most seemed fairly shocked that it wasn't already included, if I recall correctly. So while it is reasonable to say that the TiVos weren't designed to do it, is probably also fair to say that a significant number of folks expected them to work on this down the line, particularly given TiVo's reputation for listening to their user community. It might have to be offered through some sort of 'backdoor' approach due to supportability concerns, but most thought it would be forthcoming. So while to say it hasn't been 'fixed' wasn't necessarily accurate, the question wasn't what I would call unreasonable....just my $.02....

Randy

Channel mapping for TiVo was a big issue in Forums years ago when MOXI incorporated it in their consumer product but was always a nonstarter.

TiVo Inc. has never shown interest in channel mapping. TiVo is interested in maintaining profitability by whatever means necessary and getting along with cable companies, not competing with them. The subscription DVR business isn't a gold mine. MOXI, Sony, and ReplayTV all failed as DVR consumer products.

TiVo is hanging in there, but eventually will be a transitional product. No real reason for every end user to have individual spinning discs or flash memory devices to store recordings instead of giant regional servers!
post #6231 of 6251
Quote:
No real reason for every end user to have individual spinning discs or flash memory devices to store recordings instead of giant regional servers!
I'm sure most here would disagree. What, store my media on some server? I don't think so.

The simple solution is to include a equivalent list of virtual channel numbers for non CC use. No rocket science, nor is unreasonable to have done. The tuner will find the physical channel and renumber it to the virtual number. The fact systems may move OTA stations from time to time physically, has no real bearing on the tuner finding the new location. The end result is the same.
That original argument for channel mapping doesn't hold water due to the fact many/most MSO's have now provided OTA virtual channel numbers to their local stations. The few that don't, a simple ability to edit that physical to the OTA virtual number would solve that problem.
post #6232 of 6251
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

No real reason for every end user to have individual spinning discs or flash memory devices to store recordings instead of giant regional servers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

I'm sure most here would disagree. What, store my media on some server? I don't think so.

The simple solution is to include a equivalent list of virtual channel numbers for non CC use. No rocket science, nor is unreasonable to have done. The tuner will find the physical channel and renumber it to the virtual number. The fact systems may move OTA stations from time to time physically, has no real bearing on the tuner finding the new location. The end result is the same.
That original argument for channel mapping doesn't hold water due to the fact many/most MSO's have now provided OTA virtual channel numbers to their local stations. The few that don't, a simple ability to edit that physical to the OTA virtual number would solve that problem.

I don't know what 'most here' would agree on.

Any individual media user can store media anyway they choose. That's not the issue. (I have hundreds of LP's, more than a hundred audio cassettes, probably a couple hundred video cassettes, thousands of DVDs and a few (40-50?) BDs as well. There probably still are a few hardy entrepreneurs selling $20,000 turtables and $100,000 speaker systems.)

The issue is what the market ultimately decides regarding the delivery of media to a mass audience. Reliability and cost/price set mass-market standards.

IMHO Forum fans don't have as much influence as they wish they did for their (sometimes) bright ideas. You and I ultimately disagree, much as we do on including the source of quoted material. Doesn't matter much.
post #6233 of 6251
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post


TiVo is hanging in there, but eventually will be a transitional product. No real reason for every end user to have individual spinning discs or flash memory devices to store recordings instead of giant regional servers!

Boy, I sure hope this isn't the case...count me as one that doesn't agree.

a) not everyone has high speed internet access.
b) I don't want to depend on my internet connection, and all the possible extra points of failure, to watch tv shows.
c) I like having a list of recordings that I can pick and choose from, and it's only things that I'm going to watch eventually, not a list of everything ever shown.
d) I question the practicality - I have hundreds of channels, 24 hours/day...and to have every show saved, for how long?...I guess it's feasible though.

one upside, admittedly, is not having to worry about a local hard drive failure. but I'd rather tivo offer a mirror/raid 1 option to account for that instead. and - another profit stream for them, that I'd happily pay for (if it's reasonably priced).
post #6234 of 6251
It won't happen for another generation (20 yrs.?) or so and not before streaming from the 'cloud' is as reliable as an electric utility. Long before then HDDs will be replaced with flashdrives which should eliminate the greatest current point of failure.

Once the appropriate bookkeeping s/w for such a service is created, the product an individual user experiences can mimic (but doesn't have to) what a user of a current DVR experiences. But the presentation device in the home using solid state storage will need to contain only a few hours of video (at, say, 2160p) as a buffer, instead of hundreds of hours (at 1080p) as required now.

Again, no one will be forced to use such a service, but, IMHO, when it's available, most people will choose to. Even now, a minority of users choose to get media primarily from online streaming.
post #6235 of 6251
Netflix video quality.

I wonder if anyway gets good video quality using the TIVO Netlix app.

I have 20-30 mbps internet service and my Netflix video often looks data starved, as it often degrades to a low quality mode. The problem doesn't seem to be internet related, YouTube video is fine, and using the same ethernet setup, I get superb Netflix video from my Samsung Bluray player and a Mac Mini connected to the same ethernet switch..

Ideas?
post #6236 of 6251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Graffman View Post

I wonder if anyway gets good video quality using the TIVO Netlix app.

I have 20-30 mbps internet service and my Netflix video often looks data starved, as it often degrades to a low quality mode. The problem doesn't seem to be internet related, YouTube video is fine, and using the same ethernet setup, I get superb Netflix video from my Samsung Bluray player and a Mac Mini connected to the same ethernet switch.

That app almost always starts up in the unusable low bit rate encodes (that 235 Kbps one looks like impressionist watercolor and the couple above it aren't much better); sometimes it dwells on those low bit rate encodes for an unreasonable amount of time, but it always ramps up to the highest quality encodes for me and stays there. I have several other Netflix playing devices so I don't use it much.

EDIT: Sorry--I just remembered that this is the Series3 thread. I was talking about the Premiere's Netflix player above.
Edited by michaeltscott - 2/6/13 at 12:46pm
post #6237 of 6251
Well, it seems my old (nearing 6 and a half years) Series3 is no longer happy. I've replaced it with a refurbed Premiere XL (which I'd had sitting around unused in a box since last fall), and just got the new M-Card sorted out with my provider.

Has anyone seen a failure mode related to the CableCARD controller chip? My Series3 had two S-Cards installed in it, and they'd been fine until just yesterday. When I had two digital channels tuned, I got massive, obvious digital video breakup and audio problems - my receiver would keep flipping between PCM Stereo and Dolby Digital audio. But when I tuned one of the tuners to an analog channel, the video breakup went away - I could use the LiveTV button to switch between the tuners, and both were fine. I replaced the hard drive about 16 months ago with a brand new WD Caviar Black 1TB, and it had been fine since - the drive doesn't sound like it's failing, and I can watch existing recordings with no trouble, no breakup, nothing. Hence my suspicion about a failing CableCARD controller. Unless there was a recent code push that somehow subtly broke two S-Cards in one host? Thoughts? The unit has been treated well, and I'll pop the drive tomorrow or Saturday, but I'm pretty sure it's not the drive.

Edit: Well, after setting up the new Premiere XL, I also hooked up my Series3 to a Mohu Leaf antenna and flipped its two tuners to two local channels. Guess what? No breakup. None. With two HD channels, one 720p and the other 1080i. So, it would seem it's definitely CableCARD related somehow. Very odd, because otherwise it's perfectly functional.
Edited by demonfoo - 3/7/13 at 10:37pm
post #6238 of 6251
There have been some reports of tuner failures on the S3s over at TCF with massive pixelation etc. It could also be the power supply because of the bad caps issue (check for any bulging or doming there), but with your symptoms I think you have it nailed.
post #6239 of 6251
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

There have been some reports of tuner failures on the S3s over at TCF with massive pixelation etc. It could also be the power supply because of the bad caps issue (check for any bulging or doming there), but with your symptoms I think you have it nailed.

I actually pulled the cover on mine (after I got my Season Passes moved) and took a look. The capacitor labeled C701 on the power supply board (silkscreening indicates it's a 3Y model CP-1104 rev 1) is bulging, so I'm guessing the CableCARDs running together were drawing enough power to throw things out of whack. Fortunately some posts over on TiVoCommunity have part lists for the caps to replace, so I may well end up trying my hand at that...
post #6240 of 6251
Seems TiVo does everything in its power to dissuade TiVo 3 users from upgrading who have lifetime service.

There really is no discount worth mentioning for Tivo 3 users who buy a newer model.

TiVo needs to rethink its policies. The lifetime service is for the ability to use a TiVo and ability to have a TV guide to record from and that pretty much are the main features.

In a more clever world Tivo would either let one transfer their lifetime service to any new machine (since they are attached to a specific machine at any given time) and let the TiVo 3
or other lower models transfer the lifetime services. The reason is simple - the older model for the most part would most likely be given to another person who in turn would either do a subscription or they themselves, get a life time service subscription. The latter would now have TWO TiVos running and a profit from the purchase of the newer TiVo and the subscription from the older TiVo being used by another person. What TiVo forgets is that if a person is using a TiVo they are not using some other makers' box (even if its made by TiVo and used by a cable company).

In the meanwhile, I'll continue with my TiVo 3, and look for other options like the Windows Media computer or elsewhere (maybe a used Moxi).

Rant over.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › TiVo Series 3 - "Official" Thread