or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › TiVo Series 3 - "Official" Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TiVo Series 3 - "Official" Thread - Page 209

post #6241 of 6251
You get a $100 discount on lifetime service (or a reduced monthly sub) for upgrading, so I wouldn't say it's nothing. Lifetime in the past 10 years has always been lifetime of the box, not the user. They make most of their money on the service and not the hardware.
post #6242 of 6251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post

Seems TiVo does everything in its power to dissuade TiVo 3 users from upgrading who have lifetime service.

There really is no discount worth mentioning for Tivo 3 users who buy a newer model.

TiVo needs to rethink its policies. The lifetime service is for the ability to use a TiVo and ability to have a TV guide to record from and that pretty much are the main features.

In a more clever world Tivo would either let one transfer their lifetime service to any new machine (since they are attached to a specific machine at any given time) and let the TiVo 3
or other lower models transfer the lifetime services. The reason is simple - the older model for the most part would most likely be given to another person who in turn would either do a subscription or they themselves, get a life time service subscription. The latter would now have TWO TiVos running and a profit from the purchase of the newer TiVo and the subscription from the older TiVo being used by another person. What TiVo forgets is that if a person is using a TiVo they are not using some other makers' box (even if its made by TiVo and used by a cable company).

In the meanwhile, I'll continue with my TiVo 3, and look for other options like the Windows Media computer or elsewhere (maybe a used Moxi).

Rant over.

+1!!!!!!!!!

Well said, and this is what has kept me from upgrading my 2 tivos, a series 3 and an hd tivo! (well, that plus having to give up the display on the front of the series 3 - I really find that nice to have, where it says what it's recording.)

One thing I've been meaning to verify but haven't yet...it's lifetime for the unit, right? So if I sell one of these, the buyer gets the lifetime service, and just has to change the zipcode to their area to get their program guide? I guess I need to call them to verify that.
post #6243 of 6251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

+1!!!!!!!!!

Well said, and this is what has kept me from upgrading my 2 tivos, a series 3 and an hd tivo! (well, that plus having to give up the display on the front of the series 3 - I really find that nice to have, where it says what it's recording.)

One thing I've been meaning to verify but haven't yet...it's lifetime for the unit, right? So if I sell one of these, the buyer gets the lifetime service, and just has to change the zipcode to their area to get their program guide? I guess I need to call them to verify that.

While I fully understood I was getting 'product lifetime service' when I upgraded from the 3-year service, I agree that they don't offer great incentive to upgrade. I wasn't a huge fan of my cable company, anyway, so I finally decided to go the DirecTV route and now have their Genie 5-tuner DVR. I still like the TiVo interface, etc., but I have been quite happy with the new DVR, and you absolutely cannot beat 5 tuners! Which reminds me, I have a TiVo S3 with lifetime service I need to eBay....

Randy
post #6244 of 6251
I have a question that I haven't seen addressed (search didn't turn up anything)...

do the IR codes for the new premium (and premium XL) run on a different frequency than the series 3 and hd tivo?

the series 3 and hd tivo are the same - and I know you can switch the second unit to a second set of codes, which I've done. However, as far as I know, there are only 2 sets of codes, and if I do get a premium XL, I don't want the series 3 picking up the IR signals from it.

hopefully my question is clear...does anyone know for sure?
post #6245 of 6251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

I have a question that I haven't seen addressed (search didn't turn up anything)...

do the IR codes for the new premium (and premium XL) run on a different frequency than the series 3 and hd tivo?

the series 3 and hd tivo are the same - and I know you can switch the second unit to a second set of codes, which I've done. However, as far as I know, there are only 2 sets of codes, and if I do get a premium XL, I don't want the series 3 picking up the IR signals from it.

hopefully my question is clear...does anyone know for sure?

There are 10 different code sets. They're not on different frequencies, but I believe they're separated by different coding prefixes in the IR codes. You can control them separately with separate remotes. See this article from TiVo's online knowledge base for info on how to set the codes - and remember that "9" is magic, it will control all TiVos.
post #6246 of 6251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

One thing I've been meaning to verify but haven't yet...it's lifetime for the unit, right? So if I sell one of these, the buyer gets the lifetime service...

Correct and it enhances their value greatly. I'm not sure that you could get $100 for an unmodified Series 3 OLED.
post #6247 of 6251
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Correct and it enhances their value greatly. I'm not sure that you could get $100 for an unmodified Series 3 OLED.

Thanks for the link! I had no idea that a Series3 with a lifetime subscription might be worth $400+. My S3 has a lifetime subscription and a 1TB external drive. Maybe I'll sell it.
post #6248 of 6251
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Correct and it enhances their value greatly. I'm not sure that you could get $100 for an unmodified Series 3 OLED.
With a 1-TB drive like mine has those are actually surprisingly very good prices, I really had no idea they were worth that much.
post #6249 of 6251
I have seen some dandy ads in eBay, this is surely one of them. eek.gif

Auction #281077280180;
LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01..LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01
post #6250 of 6251
What exactly is lifetime service? Why do they marry it to a machine and not a machine/user and let it be transferred. Offering 100 off for lifetime on a new machine is just plain stupid.

I can understand a nickel and dime me approach of a 25 dollar 'service fee' for transferring the lifetime service to another machine's MAC but this is just pure stupid greed.

When my TiVo 3 dies, I'll gladly go to Whinedoze media box or see what I can build with a Ceton card. TiVo has NO love for its long term base users.
post #6251 of 6251
It's just a way to piss you off, so move along.

Seriously, all you're doing is repeating the same tired argument and it's not worth further discussion - if you don't want to pay Tivo what they want how they want it, roll your own HTPC.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › TiVo Series 3 - "Official" Thread