Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer
At the press conference Toshiba stressed the pq benefits of the 12 bit processor\\ exclusively in the new XA2. More bandwidth, more bits = better pq.
I would assume they put in the better Video DAC not just for specmanship.
What is your gut feeling about the announced upgrades?
1. HD-DVD has lost its price advantage compared to BR.
2. It is now saddled with a model that is not 1080p capable (the BBBs can continue their misinformation campaign)
3. Even at $999, the XA2 still "processes" the output to 1080p24/60 - [by any chance did this apply only to non-native-1080p sources, while the 1080p sources will be output as such natively without processing?]
4. HD-DVD has a slim advantage over BR at this point, if the new reviews of VC-1/AVC encoded releases are to be believed.
5. Still the same problems regarding the lack of widespread CE and studio support compared to BR. Niveus doesn't count.
Toshiba's key to survival and putting up a fight is not through parity with BR, but in being an all-round better proposition of bang-for-buck. I think Toshiba might have jumped the gun with these revisions.