Originally Posted by Satch Man
What are your current circumstances of Guide Lag? Now on my ODN 4.0.24, the scroll seems to be OK. Not as fast as ODN but tolerable. The Time Grid's Program Description stays in the show in the left-hand corner as you move through the grid and does not change until you release the button?
I have the above instance, which I think is by design. (Needs a speed bump like you said.) OR-
Do you mean that when you move through the guide, the little indicator lags behind and it takes about 1-2 seconds to catch up? I don't have that problem too much. Sometimes it might hiccup for a second or two in scrolling, but my speed is not too bad.
But you're right. MDN always changed the right-hand description right away as you scrolled and Power Speed Mode just flew by! (Holding down the right-arrow or Page+/- Key would really go fast on MDN.)
If the FCC had not mandated those Integrated Cable Cards, I'll bet that ODN would be just as fast, if not faster than MDN!
4.0 used to be both. It would skip as you scrolled as well as not catch up in the description box. 4.1 seems to scroll a little smoother (still blanks out completely if you hold a button down, but not that big a deal). My issue is that the Info box on the top left doesn't keep with what channel is selected in the grid. MDN always had the channel as I scrolled the guide, but ODN holds the current channel and about two seconds after I stop scrolling catches up and displays the right channel info. Sometimes during scrolling it will populate with a channel I passed, so I don't think it's intentional.
I'm happy to see continued improvement with this and the more I research other guides, the more I see issues with the hardware integration as well (other cable ops using their own or partnered software). I agree the the CableCard mandate was a totally useless mandate which had only negative impact on the industry. It was meant to open the door to third party manufacturers and all it did was cripple the current hardware. Great Government Intervention!
So, now that we have 4.1 and it's slightly improved - here is my wish list for the next release in desired order.
1) Guide Filter (a MUST HAVE
2) Fix the Dump To Live in the DVR - SARA used to fall back to the DVR List when you exercised the end options (Save, Delete, etc.). Navigator still drops you out of the list upon delete and you then have to go back into list and hunt for the next episode.
3) Allow setting to lock the DVR List - kind of a spinoff of the above. The should add a setting like SARA had to allow the DVR List to be sorted by either date or title and locked as such so I don't have to go through 3 steps to get back to where I was. Make the DVR List default to the next show in the list after I finish the current one.
4) Speed Boost - I can live with the current speed that 4.1 gives me, but it could be better. However, I'd rather see convenience features over a minuscule speed bump.
5) Keyword Search - again, not super important, but a viable and usable feature I'd personally like to have.
6) Is just a bonus feature that would be nice, but I have zero expectation of ever getting. A 16x9 hi-Res guide for set top boxes that support it. Basically all the Cisco (for our division) 4600/8600 Series are capable of displaying a 16x9 Guide. However, with the Guide Stretch bug now fixed I can do without it.
I'd still like to see a way to back up Series Recordings and set top options to transfer to new hardware. All the above said, I'm glad to at least see that Navigator is being worked on.
PS: They need a Remote DVR App for SmartphonesUPDATE:
It appears the update to 4.1 has disabled Remote DVR service. On our local thread, a sub was asking if anyone else was having issues with it. He contacted TWC and they told him his "signal levels were low" (big suprise there!) and set up a service call. However, I checked it out this morning and both via my Smartphone and My Services account, I cannot access Remote DVR.