or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Time Warner Cable Navigator
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Time Warner Cable Navigator - Page 563

post #16861 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mehs View Post


Sure they do. Both DirecTV and Dish have the SD feeds for the majority of the HD channels they offer.

 

Steve,

 

So why is it that the new Auto HD for TWC is only on selected channels?  It can't be like Start Over or Look Back where TWC has to get authorization from the station for the service?

 

Jack

post #16862 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mehs View Post

. As usual you are being way too negative on Time Warner, I would expect more channels to be enabled with Auto HD over time until the whole line up is covered. There is ABSOUTLEY NO reason to jump on them when this feature just went live handful of days ago.

Except it's been in the works for a long while now. We just happen to get recent deployment. I don't wear the TWC blinders like you do, so of course any expectation I have of features that should be standard will never meet your perfect vision of TWC. I am and have been completely fair in my analysis of all the providers. I always give credit when TWC does something right (IE: their HD line up) and criticize when in the year 2012 they lack features that were literally standard in 2000 like a true Guide Filter.

Also, last I checked all the locals listed as well as the ESPN's were not SDV. TWC has removed the distinction from the channel list, but I'll try to get from my sources.
post #16863 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren193 View Post

Mike, I didn't get a msg from TWC, but woke up this morning to find that my box just got the update. We're part of the West Valley subdivision of SoCal TWC. I've got a SA 8300HD that's now running MDN version 3.2.0-05-ptv (April 20, 2012), IIRC.
I know that this is really just a cosmetic update for the guide, but I'm still hoping that the "unable to record" bug is fixed and/or gets fixed soon. It always feels a bit like Russian Roulette whether something will record or not. FWIW, empirical experience leads me to think that the problem is exacerbated by having the box on or recording after midnight; perhaps, some communication with the head end gets hung up with the box in use. Also, it happened more often when we had the same named program (on different channels) entered into the Series Manager (we were trying to catch up with all the syndicated reruns of "The Big Bang Theory"); there definitely was a priority bug with that in the UI (I can describe it if anyone wants the details). Anyway, it seems that one of the tuners is locked up when the box is in the "unable to record" state. Using the Swap button to switch tuners just gives me a black screen, as does the PIP, if I can get PIP to turn on at all when it's in that state! Only thing that reliably relieves the situation is to reboot.
I've tried changing boxes (both 8300HD and 8300HDC; my local office won't offer me anything else since I'm just a plain DVR sub). I'd push back for a newer box, but those seem to have their own issues. In the meantime, the TWC reps I've spoken with can't seem to fathom that there's a software problem. They say there are no known bugs with the software rolleyes.gif and they just want to replace the box (with another 8300HD) or try to convince me that I "have to make room" on the disc for new recordings (even though it's clearly not a space issue). Hopefully, the new dev team will be able to fix this and other problems that users have experienced.
Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Hi Satch - thanks so much for the reply. It's difficult to get answers to questions on this thread that involve MDN, as most people have moved to the ODN platform and they're different animals with different kernels of code. But I have an expansion drive taking my storage capacity up to about 1 terabyte and they'll have to pry that from my cold, dead fingers. So I stick with the 8300HD DVR and the MDN software that runs it. MDN is also faster to respond to commands, which is nice. To address your questions:
I do have the new Black Guide. If I new how to get to the diagnostic area that has the MDN version number, I'd give you that. The only diagnostics I can get to don't have that information, so there must be two different areas with a different pattern of button presses to access them. I need to know how to get to the diagnostic screen that has the current version of Navigator listed. Can you help me with that? It will likely be different from the procedure used for ODN.
There is no error message number code in the recording log (it would be nice if there were). It simply has the title of the show and above it, the channel name, it's guide number, and the time the recording was scheduled to begin. This information is all that is provided in the recording log screen regardless of the success of the recording, lack thereof, or its deletion by the user. Pressing *ENTER* or *INFO* when that selection is highlighted does nothing.
I notice most of the missed recordings are on Sunday nights/early Monday mornings. It seems to have a particular problem with 'Breaking Bad' and has failed to record it at other times during the week. It also misses some HBO shows. Don't see any particular pattern to it, though. I've wondered if they're putting the DVR to "sleep" during that Sunday/Monday time period for some kind of system-wide maintenance, and that's what's causing the missed recordings...? Doesn't seem likely.
All my equipment, including cables, are new and fully functional.
Haven't tried to de-select all resolutions except 1080i or 720p. I have 480p included for the few programs I watch that are SD.
Thanks again, and if anyone else is still familiar with the MDN world, feel free to chime in!

Warren193 and Archiguy, I have also had a lot of trouble with "Not recorded because channel not available (8)". Usually with recordings starting at midnight, usually when recording "For Example" USA 10:58-11:58, USA 11:57-1:02 (to "trick" Crappygator into allowing back-to-back recordings on USA) and NatGeo 11:58-1:02. The failures have been intermittent and could usually be resolved by cancelling the NatGeo recording, changing the channel away from then back to NatGeo ("Last", "swap" or entering USA's channel # wouldn't work) and then re-starting the NatGeo recording. At other times of the the day, the same scenario almost always blacks out USA at X:58 but keying NatGeo's channel, then USA's brings it back.

This problem first started for me in June 2011, with an SA8240HDC, ODN 4.0.2_4. It persisted through 4.1.0_6, 4.1.0_7, 5.0.0_6 and 5.1.0_7. When we had missing channels, a smart tech came out & replaced the line in July 2012. Later in July, we started having the "not available"/blackout problem at other times when recording 2 channels, but in situtations without my crazy overlaps. The problem channels were a mix of SDV and non-SDV and were from different Frequency blocks. The same tech came out, and said that no one at TWC has ever told anyone in this division (Cincinnati/Dayton) what any of the error codes mean, if anything. As signal strengths were good, all he could diagnose was a bad hard drive and swapped a Cisco 8742HDC on 7/24/12. Unfortunately, beginning that very same day and onward, the problem has repeatedly recurred.

On 8/14/12, we were "transparented" to ODN 5.2.0_9. Since it's still very recent, I don't yet know if the error will continue. I DO know that with my overlap scenario, the channel being overlapped still blacks out temporarily as before. I'm crossing my fingers about the "not available" problem.

My advice would be to make this problem Time Warner's, not yours. Call them every time you have a recording failure and insist on a credit. Also, when they offer, as they always do since they're not trained/authorized to do much else except force a reboot -- authorize a truck roll. If you end up calling them out five times a month, you can have the tech verify the "not available" error is in the log, lest TWC think you're scamming. (The log on my STB is such a disordered mess, you may have to find the entry yourself first and point it out to the tech).

In an unrelated topic, ever since 5.2.0_9, Select+Down Diagnostics has seemingly been disabled. Select+Up still works and I can find the ODN version # if I pore through it, but I can't find SDV vs non-SDV and Session ID(?) that tells me if I'm watching a re-mapped duplicate or a different channel.

We also don't have the "Auto HD" function or the new "A" function - our "A" just duplicates "Menu", as usual.
post #16864 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

Except it's been in the works for a long while now. We just happen to get recent deployment. I don't wear the TWC blinders like you do, so of course any expectation I have of features that should be standard will never meet your perfect vision of TWC. I am and have been completely fair in my analysis of all the providers. I always give credit when TWC does something right (IE: their HD line up) and criticize when in the year 2012 they lack features that were literally standard in 2000 like a true Guide Filter.

Having experience with lesser providers, DirecTV and Dish, I know how terrible they are, and any small fallacy with TW can be overlooked when you realize how lucky you are not to have to deal with those two dingbat operations.
Quote:
Also, last I checked all the locals listed as well as the ESPN's were not SDV. TWC has removed the distinction from the channel list, but I'll try to get from my sources.

But NHL Network HD, Outermax HD, MLB Network HD and a few others are SDV. Which is why I said, "I can assure you this is a mix of SDV and non-SDV channels". ESPN U HD should be SDV as well, not sure about ESPN 2 HD, but locals are definitely not, and neither should ESPN HD. On one of the diagnostic screens it will tell you what type of channel both tuners are tuned to, SDV or Non.
post #16865 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post

Steve,

So why is it that the new Auto HD for TWC is only on selected channels?  It can't be like Start Over or Look Back where TWC has to get authorization from the station for the service?

Jack

How am I supposed to know? You said DirecTV and Dish don't carry SD duplicates of the channels they have in HD and have a bunch of extra bandwidth as a result, which is not correct at all. Which is what I was responding to. I have no idea the reason behind only allowing a limited number of channels on TW being enabled for Auto HD, but I would imagine over time more will be enabled. It really doesn’t concern me, as I like the fact that the HD channels are separated from the SD line up. I hate the way DirecTV does it and I will not be taking advantage of this feature at all as I hardly ever venture out of the 1000s and 1100s, where the HD channels are in my area.
post #16866 of 18536
I just got a robo-call from Time Warner Desert Cities that the Navigator update will be rolling out here on August 23 in the early AM.
post #16867 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren193 View Post

Hi Archiguy, I also have an 8300HD (i.e., with MDN). Here in SoCal, TWC doesn't make the Diags channel available (or at least it's not listed and I haven't figured out which channel it is wink.gif ). To get diagnostics on the 8300HD, I hold the Select button on the front panel until the Mail icon comes on (after about 5-10 seconds), then I press the Channel Down button (i.e., the one in the "south" position of the four channel/volume buttons). After about another 5-10 seconds, page 1 of the diagnostics screens will display. You can then move between the diags pages, using the Vol Up/Vol Down buttons ("east" and "west" positions, respectively). The Exit button will end the diags display and the Mail icon will then disappear shortly after that.
Useful info:
Page 1 has boot time; I check that to see if TWC has rebooted during the night.
Page 5-6 has QAM tuner stats; these will list tuner fails (in red) for QAM 1 (p.5) and QAM 2 (p.6). FWIW, there might be a relationship between tuner fails and the "unable to record" problem.
Page 13 has the Software Versions info; look under Apps and you'll see that the resident version (for the Black Guide) should be 3.2.0-5-ptv (3.Dev) April 20, 2012.
... snip ... Warren
Hello Warren,
FYI down here in LA South Bay the DIAGS channel is 199. The other channel mentioned (1900) is not used here. I haven't tried the old front panel Ctrl-Shift-LeftElbow method yet.
HTH, Mike
post #16868 of 18536

Weaselboy,

 

San Diego is in the Desert Cities cluster, so that is likely the date for ODN v5.2.

post #16869 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mehs View Post

I have no idea the reason behind only allowing a limited number of channels on TW being enabled for Auto HD, but I would imagine over time more will be enabled. It really doesn’t concern me, as I like the fact that the HD channels are separated from the SD line up. I hate the way DirecTV does it and I will not be taking advantage of this feature at all as I hardly ever venture out of the 1000s and 1100s, where the HD channels are in my area.

I have an idea why they are limiting it and it is bandwidth. TWC banks on a majority of customers not venturing or even finding the HD equivalent, but if all of a sudden the nodes got flooded with requests they couldn't handle for a particular SDV channel you'd be stuck with "Channel Not Available" errors. The lack of bandwidth was basically confirmed and the intention would be to roll out more as TWC recovers space by eliminating the analogs.

DirecTV allows all the SD's to be hidden in logical order. What's the problem with that? They also allow you to add/remove and customize the guide which is another plus. You likely have a more logical channel alidnment in your division if the HD's are in the 1000/1100 range. Our division has the most absurd channel alignment I've ever seen with HD's scattered about the 700/800/900&1000 range. I wish TWC would speed along the national channel lineups and ditch the analog.
post #16870 of 18536
If the time comes and that's a big if, I doubt TWC will ever provide it's subscribers the ability to personalize the program guide. I'm sure the marketing geniuses believe that they have many a customer while scrolling through the redundant channel listings suddenly come across a must see program that they currently do not get and on the spur of the moment race to the phone to upgrade their programming level.

Like Ben, the layout of our guide is the most haphazard jumble of crap ever devised. It's akin to taking every channel, numbering it on a bingo chip, dumping the chips into a cement mixer, rolling them around for 20 minutes, picking a chip out one at a time and then tossing the chip onto a painted numerical grid on the floor.
Eureka ! We have a program guide. Cow Chip Bingo is more like it. "TWC Programming Guide - Looks Like S**T As It Was Made From S**T"
post #16871 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

I have an idea why they are limiting it and it is bandwidth. TWC banks on a majority of customers not venturing or even finding the HD equivalent, but if all of a sudden the nodes got flooded with requests they couldn't handle for a particular SDV channel you'd be stuck with "Channel Not Available" errors. The lack of bandwidth was basically confirmed and the intention would be to roll out more as TWC recovers space by eliminating the analogs.
DirecTV allows all the SD's to be hidden in logical order. What's the problem with that? They also allow you to add/remove and customize the guide which is another plus. You likely have a more logical channel alidnment in your division if the HD's are in the 1000/1100 range. Our division has the most absurd channel alignment I've ever seen with HD's scattered about the 700/800/900&1000 range. I wish TWC would speed along the national channel lineups and ditch the analog.

I really wish we could customize the guide, I don't let my kids go to the guide just their favorites reason being: Mommy and Daddy what does Teen Sluts mean on Adult PPV.....TWC please allow parents to block Adult titles so we don't have to explain to young children about porn...mad.gif
post #16872 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 View Post

Weaselboy,

San Diego is in the Desert Cities cluster, so that is likely the date for ODN v5.2.

Yep... the call mentioned new menus etc.
post #16873 of 18536
[quote name="Steve Mehs" -[/quote]

Having experience with lesser providers, DirecTV and Dish, I know how terrible they are, and any small fallacy with TW can be overlooked when you realize how lucky you are not to have to deal with those two dingbat operations.[/quote]

Sorry dude, but that's a load of crap. Dish is hardly a "lesser provider" or "terrible". The Dish guide, remote and dvr(722k) blow away Brighthouse. My house is wired for both so I can switch whenever my provider decides I'm not paying enough. I'm currently a satisfied Brighthouse customer, but if they try to put the bump on me the dish is on the roof and the cables are already run. Brighthouse installed all new cable from the pole to the dvr and the picture quality is comparable. At the moment I'm a happy Brighthouse customer and as long as it's less expensive than dish I'll stay. But.................wink.gif
post #16874 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post


I have an idea why they are limiting it and it is bandwidth. TWC banks on a majority of customers not venturing or even finding the HD equivalent, but if all of a sudden the nodes got flooded with requests they couldn't handle for a particular SDV channel you'd be stuck with "Channel Not Available" errors. The lack of bandwidth was basically confirmed and the intention would be to roll out more as TWC recovers space by eliminating the analogs.
DirecTV allows all the SD's to be hidden in logical order. What's the problem with that? They also allow you to add/remove and customize the guide which is another plus. You likely have a more logical channel alidnment in your division if the HD's are in the 1000/1100 range. Our division has the most absurd channel alignment I've ever seen with HD's scattered about the 700/800/900&1000 range. I wish TWC would speed along the national channel lineups and ditch the analog.

I agree 100%, Ben,

 

It is bandwidth and crappy SDV "channel not available errors" that are the issue.  But SDV's issues aren't the fault of TWC, they are the fault of SDV itself.  What I heard Ben, and I am sure you know more about this than me, is that the bandwidth of 1 quality HD signal channel is equal to about 3 SD stations.  As I understand it, analog takes up three times as much space and channel capacity than HD.  Once TWC can get customers used to the HD environment they can start reducing those 2-99 standard service stations, where only those required by local city and government municipalities would remain on the system.  In Wisconsin's HD world, we have around 300 total channels, but 80 are taking up space when there are already instances of two (and sometimes THREE-FOUR) duplicates of an SD version of the channel on Standard Service, a Digital version of that channel on Digital Variety Package, sometimes the same version of that Digital Channel on an optional package called "Family Choice."  And finally the HD version.  Why do we need three  to four instances of the same channel?

 

I guess the question is we know that SDV sucks and remains unpredictable.  However, the overload of bandwidth especially on some systems out in the boonies that don't have the head-end technology or nodes ready to handle thousands of HD requests at the same time.  If SDV was replaced with a better more reliable solution, and more SD stations came off the system, TWC could do more with the new Auto HD feature without system overload.

 

As for the Guide Filtering currently being Time Grid only, my theory is that the original Navigator development team was too incompetent to do a guide search filtering system.  Hopefully next year, the new team will expand on the search options with new features:

 

1.) Guide Filtering for Search Screens.

 

2.) Expanded Keyboard Search options for the legacy boxes.

 

3.) Setting all keyboard search options to "Search by Keywords as the default for all box keyboard's NOT Titles."  Title Searches are too restrictive for program information. (This has been my biggest feature request for the guide for the last six years.)

 

4.) A theme based line-up like we have in Wisconsin across all TWC systems

.

5.) Auto HD options (on/off) for all channels.  However, that can't start happening, until the bandwidth and SDV issues above are resolved.

 

6.) A true six tuner DVR box with 1TB of storage that would be available to all users to reduce Tuner Conflicts and Programing issues.

 

7.) Expanded Remote DVR Communications with back-up server options for programs and settings.

 

8.) Better knowledge and communication between CSR's techs, and customers with a better quality intra-structure for cable TV service, that gets TWC up to the excellence of their Internet and Phone services.  TWC's cable TV intra-structure with their DVR's and STB's outdated hardware and nodes along with SDV's issues are the crux of the problem.

 

Jack


Edited by Satch Man - 8/19/12 at 1:54pm
post #16875 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post


I really wish we could customize the guide, I don't let my kids go to the guide just their favorites reason being: Mommy and Daddy what does Teen Sluts mean on Adult PPV.....TWC please allow parents to block Adult titles so we don't have to explain to young children about porn...mad.gif

+1!

 

I don't have kids and don't have Parental Control activated, but for those that use it, what are its advantages and disadvantages?  Does parental control blocking on the TWC guide currently apply to the Time Grid only?  I know you can set up a Pin and block by Channel, Rating, Title, or Time.  However, a simple block of "All Adult Titles" in the time grid AND searches would be a great asset to parents with young children who don't want them to see porn titles.

 

Jack

post #16876 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post

+1!

I don't have kids and don't have Parental Control activated, but for those that use it, what are its advantages and disadvantages?  Does parental control blocking on the TWC guide currently apply to the Time Grid only?  I know you can set up a Pin and block by Channel, Rating, Title, or Time.  However, a simple block of "All Adult Titles" in the time grid AND searches would be a great asset to parents with young children who don't want them to see porn titles.

Jack

I've tried. Some adult channels I can block from seeing in the guide, most of the others not. Why ?? Don't know. I've tried a 100 different times to do it. It's a great thing for the kids to be able to see the latest listing for "Mommy does the teen girl next door" and other such kid friendly programming. You would think there would be some FCC rule or something that would force the signal providers to block that stuff from those of us that don't want to subject our kids to that. The parent control from TWC is an utter flop.
post #16877 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post

If the time comes and that's a big if, I doubt TWC will ever provide it's subscribers the ability to personalize the program guide. I'm sure the marketing geniuses believe that they have many a customer while scrolling through the redundant channel listings suddenly come across a must see program that they currently do not get and on the spur of the moment race to the phone to upgrade their programming level.
Like Ben, the layout of our guide is the most haphazard jumble of crap ever devised. It's akin to taking every channel, numbering it on a bingo chip, dumping the chips into a cement mixer, rolling them around for 20 minutes, picking a chip out one at a time and then tossing the chip onto a painted numerical grid on the floor.
Eureka ! We have a program guide. Cow Chip Bingo is more like it. "TWC Programming Guide - Looks Like S**T As It Was Made From S**T"

Great post Minnow!

 

One of my favorite quotes EVER came when TWC was touting the new black guide and making a big deal about the color scheme.  A customer replied to that wishing that TWC would focuss on creating a guide with modern features instead of making a big deal about a color change.

 

He said:

 

"TWC changing the color scheme on the guide is like TWC being on the Titanic and making a big deal about arranging the deck chairs, while ignoring the holes in the ship!"  I still crack up at that analogy! LOL!

 

Jack

post #16878 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofast1 View Post

Sorry dude, but that's a load of crap. Dish is hardly a "lesser provider" or "terrible". The Dish guide, remote and dvr(722k) blow away Brighthouse. My house is wired for both so I can switch whenever my provider decides I'm not paying enough. I'm currently a satisfied Brighthouse customer, but if they try to put the bump on me the dish is on the roof and the cables are already run. Brighthouse installed all new cable from the pole to the dvr and the picture quality is comparable. At the moment I'm a happy Brighthouse customer and as long as it's less expensive than dish I'll stay. But.................wink.gif

No YES, no SNY, No MSG, No MSG +. Yes Dish is a lesser provider and a joke. Dish used to be the dominate satellite provider around here, since Chuckie gave the finger to NY sports fans, I personally know of a grand total of one household who still subscribes to Dish. Taking a drive around in rural areas around here where cable isn’t available, you can see all the houses with Dish 500s on them with a DirecTV Slimline mounted nearby. Practically no one in this area has or wants Dish Network.

Plus, if you love having channels being removed, Dish is your provider. The Rainbow channels, the Disney HD feeds, Smithsonian, CNBC World and I’m sure there’s others that have been removed that I’m forgetting that haven’t made their way back and likely never will.

You can have the greatest hardware in the world, but if the content is not there to back it up, no one will subscribe. The one person I know with Dish, is my very own uncle. He’s got two 722s and has had each of them replaced numerous times for one reason or another. I’ve used them many times, and I’m not impressed. The ad at the bottom of the guide is not needed and they remind me too much of my own bad experiences when I had Dish and had to put up with their POS DVRs.

Dish is not just a lesser provider, but a second rate one.
post #16879 of 18536
A digital channel number never refers to an actual physical channel. It can't because digital channels are multi-plexed, meaning they carry multible logical channels. A channel number you tune to simply knows what physical channel and sub channel to actually tune to, example 700 might really be 77.5.

There is only 1 SD analog, 1 SD digital, & 1 HD digital. A SD digital channel may show up 10 times, but will always point to the same physical location. There are only a maximum of 135 physical channels, quite often less. This is left over from the days of analog, they had jury-rig digital to pass thru an analog system & we are still stuck with it today.
post #16880 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post

I agree 100%, Ben,

It is bandwidth and crappy SDV "channel not available errors" that are the issue.  But SDV's issues aren't the fault of TWC, they are the fault of SDV itself.  What I heard Ben, and I am sure you know more about this than me, is that the bandwidth of 1 quality HD signal channel is equal to about 3 SD stations.  As I understand it, analog takes up three times as much space and channel capacity than HD.  Once TWC can get customers used to the HD environment they can start reducing those 2-99 standard service stations, where only those required by local city and government municipalities would remain on the system.  In Wisconsin's HD world, we have around 300 total channels, but 80 are taking up space when there are already instances of two (and sometimes THREE-FOUR) duplicates of an SD version of the channel on Standard Service, a Digital version of that channel on Digital Variety Package, sometimes the same version of that Digital Channel on an optional package called "Family Choice."  And finally the HD version.  Why do we need three  to four instances of the same channel?

I guess the question is we know that SDV sucks and remains unpredictable.  However, the overload of bandwidth especially on some systems out in the boonies that don't have the head-end technology or nodes ready to handle thousands of HD requests at the same time.  If SDV was replaced with a better more reliable solution, and more SD stations came off the system, TWC could do more with the new Auto HD feature without system overload.

As for the Guide Filtering currently being Time Grid only, my theory is that the original Navigator development team was too incompetent to do a guide search filtering system.  Hopefully next year, the new team will expand on the search options with new features:

1.) Guide Filtering for Search Screens.

2.) Expanded Keyboard Search options for the legacy boxes.

3.) Setting all keyboard search options to "Search by Keywords as the default for all box keyboard's NOT Titles."  Title Searches are too restrictive for program information. (This has been my biggest feature request for the guide for the last six years.)

4.) A theme based line-up like we have in Wisconsin across all TWC systems
.
5.) Auto HD options (on/off) for all channels.  However, that can't start happening, until the bandwidth and SDV issues above are resolved.

6.) A true six tuner DVR box with 1TB of storage that would be available to all users to reduce Tuner Conflicts and Programing issues.

7.) Expanded Remote DVR Communications with back-up server options for programs and settings.

8.) Better knowledge and communication between CSR's techs, and customers with a better quality intra-structure for cable TV service, that gets TWC up to the excellence of their Internet and Phone services.  TWC's cable TV intra-structure with their DVR's and STB's outdated hardware and nodes along with SDV's issues are the crux of the problem.

Jack



SDV was a solution for the lack of bandwidth. You are correct that you can fit about 3 HD into one QAM (Cramming depends on how bad they want to compress the signal). The sad thing is that Arris has a 6 tuner Whole Home Gateway (I believe TWC has it in the labs per a source) that runs the Moxi software. Blows Navigator away. I was hoping as a Signature Home sub we could get cutting edge stuff like that and not the same crap we currently have. The only benefit Sig Home subs get is the "Advanced Search" which you still have to manipulte to get results. It defaults to Title and as you mentioned above is assnine and a waste. Just make the dame thing seach by word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mehs View Post

No YES, no SNY, No MSG, No MSG +. Yes Dish is a lesser provider and a joke. Dish used to be the dominate satellite provider around here, since Chuckie gave the finger to NY sports fans, I personally know of a grand total of one household who still subscribes to Dish. Taking a drive around in rural areas around here where cable isn’t available, you can see all the houses with Dish 500s on them with a DirecTV Slimline mounted nearby. Practically no one in this area has or wants Dish Network.
Plus, if you love having channels being removed, Dish is your provider. The Rainbow channels, the Disney HD feeds, Smithsonian, CNBC World and I’m sure there’s others that have been removed that I’m forgetting that haven’t made their way back and likely never will.
You can have the greatest hardware in the world, but if the content is not there to back it up, no one will subscribe. The one person I know with Dish, is my very own uncle. He’s got two 722s and has had each of them replaced numerous times for one reason or another. I’ve used them many times, and I’m not impressed. The ad at the bottom of the guide is not needed and they remind me too much of my own bad experiences when I had Dish and had to put up with their POS DVRs.
Dish is not just a lesser provider, but a second rate one.

Steve, we get it. You have a bias in favor of Time Warner. It's well documented here and on other forums. This isn't the right thread if you want to debate HD Channel Count, etc. so I'm not going to get into the appeal of why some subs would choose Dish for them NOT carrying channels in order to pay a lower price.. This thread is for Guide and guide related issues (hardware included) which Time Warner has plenty of and are discussed/debated.
post #16881 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mehs View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofast1 View Post

Sorry dude, but that's a load of crap. Dish is hardly a "lesser provider" or "terrible". The Dish guide, remote and dvr(722k) blow away Brighthouse. My house is wired for both so I can switch whenever my provider decides I'm not paying enough. I'm currently a satisfied Brighthouse customer, but if they try to put the bump on me the dish is on the roof and the cables are already run. Brighthouse installed all new cable from the pole to the dvr and the picture quality is comparable. At the moment I'm a happy Brighthouse customer and as long as it's less expensive than dish I'll stay. But.................wink.gif

No YES, no SNY, No MSG, No MSG +. Yes Dish is a lesser provider and a joke. Dish used to be the dominate satellite provider around here, since Chuckie gave the finger to NY sports fans, I personally know of a grand total of one household who still subscribes to Dish. Taking a drive around in rural areas around here where cable isn’t available, you can see all the houses with Dish 500s on them with a DirecTV Slimline mounted nearby. Practically no one in this area has or wants Dish Network.

Plus, if you love having channels being removed, Dish is your provider. The Rainbow channels, the Disney HD feeds, Smithsonian, CNBC World and I’m sure there’s others that have been removed that I’m forgetting that haven’t made their way back and likely never will.

You can have the greatest hardware in the world, but if the content is not there to back it up, no one will subscribe. The one person I know with Dish, is my very own uncle. He’s got two 722s and has had each of them replaced numerous times for one reason or another. I’ve used them many times, and I’m not impressed. The ad at the bottom of the guide is not needed and they remind me too much of my own bad experiences when I had Dish and had to put up with their POS DVRs.

Dish is not just a lesser provider, but a second rate one.

Those are all channels I don't watch(not into stick 'n ball sports or those where they beat each other up-but that's just me). You can nit pick all day about channel content back and forth. Each has channels the other doesn't.. Dish's free sirius/xm blows away music choice for example. But that wouldn't matter to everybody, just like the channels you mentioned. You should always chose the provider that has the most channels that match your tastes. The Key word there is "your". The channels I watch (probably like most people) are available on Brighthouse, Dish and Direct TV, so it's not always a content choice. It is though, sometimes a content per dollar choice. The only difference I found was the occasional (2 or 3 times a year) rainstorm outage-about 15 minutes each time. The Dish 722 dvr has been the #1 rated dvr for years, mine never missed a beat. It's had the features for years that Brighthouse & DT are adding now. I am satisfied with my 8742, but hardware-wise Dish still has the edge(it's getting closer). We don't even have to talk about the guides. For me,as content is not an issue(like most folks), it's about price. Because Brighthouse has the content you want makes it the best choice for YOU. That doesn't make the other two "a lesser provider' , "a joke" or "second rate". Chill out Dude, it's all not black and white. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's a p.o.s. Be glad we have these providers to chose from to suit our individual needs.
Edited by sofast1 - 8/19/12 at 8:53pm
post #16882 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveFan View Post

FYI down here in LA South Bay the DIAGS channel is 199. The other channel mentioned (1900) is not used here.
Mike, thanks for the info. I tried Channel 199; the channel title says "diags" but the diagnostics don't come up, I just get the msg "To order this channel, call CustomerCare at ..." FWIW, Channel 1900 isn't in use here either.
post #16883 of 18536
They could be removing the Diag channel on systems.

NYC lost ch 996 this month
post #16884 of 18536
The diag. channel is 1999
post #16885 of 18536

Confirmed that San Diego is getting the black guide on Thursday. 

post #16886 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by wewillie View Post

The diag. channel is 1999

It's different for every region
post #16887 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

SDV was a solution for the lack of bandwidth. You are correct that you can fit about 3 HD into one QAM (Cramming depends on how bad they want to compress the signal). The sad thing is that Arris has a 6 tuner Whole Home Gateway (I believe TWC has it in the labs per a source) that runs the Moxi software. Blows Navigator away. I was hoping as a Signature Home sub we could get cutting edge stuff like that and not the same crap we currently have. The only benefit Sig Home subs get is the "Advanced Search" which you still have to manipulte to get results. It defaults to Title and as you mentioned above is assnine and a waste. Just make the dame thing seach by word.
Steve, we get it. You have a bias in favor of Time Warner. It's well documented here and on other forums. This isn't the right thread if you want to debate HD Channel Count, etc. so I'm not going to get into the appeal of why some subs would choose Dish for them NOT carrying channels in order to pay a lower price.. This thread is for Guide and guide related issues (hardware included) which Time Warner has plenty of and are discussed/debated.
Yes, I am extremely biased toward Time Warner, thank you for noticing. You do know there is a reason for that bias, right? The reason is that I have personal extensive hands on experience with the two satellite providers and Time Warner, and while Time Warner may not be 100% perfect, they are certainly better than the other two. As a gadget geek, someone who’s purpose of living is to be consumed by digital media, and an anti-social couch potato, it doesn’t take a lot for me to come to this conclusion. I’ve never had any issue whatsoever with Navigator or TW provided hardware, TW provides a wide variety of programming, has an occasional dispute but rarely pulls programming. My 5+ years with Dish was a total nightmare, when I had DirecTV the first go around with those awful DirecTiVos, I had a countdown going for the end of my contract so I could dump those things. Now I have what is supposed to be the most advanced DVR around and it along with the HR24 are more problematic then they’re worth and I can’t even watch all of my shows in HD.

You may think it’s two separate topics, but it really isn’t. Again I repeat, Dish is an utter joke and their lack of sports programming is disgusting. That 722, which I don’t think much of, can spit out a $100 bill every hour on the hour but, it doesn’t even exist in my world, since I eat, sleep, live and breathe Sabres hockey and a 722 can’t provide me with that. As someone with a tremendous amount of interest in this stuff, I wouldn’t mind actually trying out Dish's latest attempt at a DVR, the Hopper/Joey set up, in reading about it, I think it sounds very awkward, but I would mind playing with it to more accurately compare the newest DVR technology and latest user interfaces between the three providers, but I just can’t give Charlie so much as a dime, I cannot support someone who is so anti sports, especially when it’s my teams that are the main ones affected.

So do you actually have any proof of what you say about Time Warner supposedly being out of bandwidth and having more people tune into the HD feed will bring nodes crashing down, or is it just a conspiracy theory? You made the accusation, as ridiculous as it is, so let’s see some proof.
post #16888 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

I really wish we could customize the guide, I don't let my kids go to the guide just their favorites reason being: Mommy and Daddy what does Teen Sluts mean on Adult PPV.....TWC please allow parents to block Adult titles so we don't have to explain to young children about porn...mad.gif

You should be able to configure your parental controls, then turn title blocking on to do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post

I've tried. Some adult channels I can block from seeing in the guide, most of the others not. Why ?? Don't know. I've tried a 100 different times to do it. It's a great thing for the kids to be able to see the latest listing for "Mommy does the teen girl next door" and other such kid friendly programming. You would think there would be some FCC rule or something that would force the signal providers to block that stuff from those of us that don't want to subject our kids to that. The parent control from TWC is an utter flop.

If configuring your parental controls and then turning title blocking on doesn't work, then it sounds like a data issue in your division. These things don't fly, let them know.
post #16889 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mehs View Post

So do you actually have any proof of what you say about Time Warner supposedly being out of bandwidth and having more people tune into the HD feed will bring nodes crashing down, or is it just a conspiracy theory? You made the accusation, as ridiculous as it is, so let’s see some proof.
It is not ridiculous at all. In any TW system there are only so many QAMs allocated to SDV in a node. It has been widely reported here (by knowledgeable sources) that in trial systems where AutoHD was implemented on all channels that many customers were getting the "Channel Not Available" message. As a result, TW pulled "AutoHD" for a short time. When they re-introduced "AutoHD" on a wider basis, they limited it to non-SDV channels to avoid over-loading the SDV nodes.

Perhaps you are so much of a TWC Fan Boy that you can't "handle the truth".rolleyes.gif
post #16890 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemoth88 View Post


You should be able to configure your parental controls, then turn title blocking on to do that.
If configuring your parental controls and then turning title blocking on doesn't work, then it sounds like a data issue in your division. These things don't fly, let them know.

 

I will defend TWC on this point,

 

TWC does a good job with protecting children and families from undesired content.  Or at the very least, shows concern about that.  From time to time I used to get literature over the years about the parental control features.  I am still not sure why some people are seeing adult titles in the guide.  I did find out the following:

 

1.) You must have a pin# to activate and deactivate parental control.

2.) You must set up blocking preferences. (Block by Title, Rating, Channel, Time) Use one or more combinations.

3.) If you block by rating, all ratings at that level AND above will be blocked and will require a pin# to view.  (Example-If you block by rating of PG-13, pin # will be required for PG-13 movies and everything above.)

4.) You MUST turn on Parental Control in Settings or NONE of your blocks will work!

 

I'd call or email TWC about any Parental Control issues with the boxes.  This is an area where the filters have worked well.  I think there might be something with the data in the division or node where the blocks aren't working.  Make sure you have done steps 1-4 of the above before calling/ reporting.  If you report this, make a note of the specific element of parental controls that are not working.

 

Jack


Edited by Satch Man - 8/20/12 at 9:39pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Time Warner Cable Navigator