or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Time Warner Cable Navigator
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Time Warner Cable Navigator - Page 567

post #16981 of 18536
well for the past week, my box has been cutting of the last minute or so of every program recorded....on half a dozen different channels so its not an individual channel problem

i'm really so very tired of calling and complaining to tw, they still have never called back from a manager supposedly reviewing my other recording and lost program issues from over a month ago...
post #16982 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikouka View Post

well for the past week, my box has been cutting of the last minute or so of every program recorded....on half a dozen different channels so its not an individual channel problem
i'm really so very tired of calling and complaining to tw, they still have never called back from a manager supposedly reviewing my other recording and lost program issues from over a month ago...

It's probably the SDV that is the culprit,

 

I  have instances where stations will start shows a minute or so early.  The guide data from Tribune Media Services, usually does the time blocks for shows on the hour or half hour.  So to prevent missing of shows I do this:

 

On a show going from 7:00-8:00PM

 

1.) Select Show

2.) Record Show With Options

3.) Start Time 1 Minute Early

4.) End Time 1-2 minutes later.

 

It's BS to have to do this, but it seems to work.  On back to back shows in the time grid, where I have two shows back to back on the same channel

 

Show A: Same Channel 7:00-7:30

Show B-Same Channel 7:30-8:00

 

1.) Select Show A

2.) Record Show With Options

3. Start Time 1 minute early

4.) End Time 1 hour later.

 

Also seems to work.

 

Jack

post #16983 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikouka View Post

well for the past week, my box has been cutting of the last minute or so of every program recorded....on half a dozen different channels so its not an individual channel problem
i'm really so very tired of calling and complaining to tw, they still have never called back from a manager supposedly reviewing my other recording and lost program issues from over a month ago...

Is the box's clock correct? I was having a problem back on 5.1 software where only my 8640 was gaining time... as much as 3+ minutes during a week I was away... while the other boxes in the house (mix of Samsung and SA/Cisco) kept accurate time, so it wasn't a headend master clock issue. It was only the 8640 not keeping clock sync. My temporary fix was to reboot every other day or so, which forced it to re-sync with the headend clock. Not sure if it was with the 5.2 update or some other background "stack" update, but the clock has been keeping accurate time for the past month or so.
post #16984 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post

It's probably the SDV that is the culprit,

I  have instances where stations will start shows a minute or so early.  The guide data from Tribune Media Services, usually does the time blocks for shows on the hour or half hour.  So to prevent missing of shows I do this:

On a show going from 7:00-8:00PM

1.) Select Show
2.) Record Show With Options
3.) Start Time 1 Minute Early
4.) End Time 1-2 minutes later.

It's BS to have to do this, but it seems to work.  On back to back shows in the time grid, where I have two shows back to back on the same channel

Show A: Same Channel 7:00-7:30
Show B-Same Channel 7:30-8:00

1.) Select Show A
2.) Record Show With Options
3. Start Time 1 minute early
4.) End Time 1 hour later.

Also seems to work.

Jack

yeah but it would be a pain to have to go and adjust every one of our recordings to add the extra minute at the end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

Is the box's clock correct? I was having a problem back on 5.1 software where only my 8640 was gaining time... as much as 3+ minutes during a week I was away... while the other boxes in the house (mix of Samsung and SA/Cisco) kept accurate time, so it wasn't a headend master clock issue. It was only the 8640 not keeping clock sync. My temporary fix was to reboot every other day or so, which forced it to re-sync with the headend clock. Not sure if it was with the 5.2 update or some other background "stack" update, but the clock has been keeping accurate time for the past month or so.

nope, the clock appears to be correct...
post #16985 of 18536
What Navigator needs is a fallback for recording padding. So if you set you recordings to start early and stop later by a minute or 2, it should do that when possible, but if there's timeslot conflicts, then recorded the initial recording time without the padding. This way you could get the extra padding when possible and not have to worry about missing a recording due to a 1 minute overlap.
post #16986 of 18536
^^^^^
There are LOTS of things that Navigator needs!
post #16987 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean View Post

What Navigator needs is a fallback for recording padding. So if you set you recordings to start early and stop later by a minute or 2, it should do that when possible, but if there's timeslot conflicts, then recorded the initial recording time without the padding. This way you could get the extra padding when possible and not have to worry about missing a recording due to a 1 minute overlap.

 

I don't know if this is fixed in the Black Guide Update,

 

But I recall always having recording issues with two back to back shows on the same channel in the time grid.  Now, I don't know if this has changed, but I always pad the first instance of the first show to end at the time the second show ends.  One thing I am not sure of is the stop time elements of shows in back to back recording sessions:  Example:

 

Show #1 on channel 139 from 8:00am-9:00am: Does that mean that the DVR is going to start at 8:00am and than stop at 8:59 am?  OR does that mean that the show is supposed to start at 8:00am and stop at 9:00am, OR does it mean that the show starts at 8:00am and stops at 9:01?  Stop time meaning when the little red REC light goes off?  Is this different for ODN/MDN?

 

Regardless of what Navigator is supposed to do, if I have a second show on channel 139 immediately following the first show at 9am using the example above, I always have this uncertainty with what it's going to do with show #2 at 9am on channel 139 when show #1 is going from 8am to 9am.  Padding the first instances of the show removes that uncertainly.  Navigator just thinks by doing a "Record Show With Options" and extending the end time an extra 30 minutes, or 1 hour, or however long the second show is that the first show runs overtime.

 

This is a perfect example why TWC needs a DVR with more than two tuners!  Sources have told me that a six tuner DVR is in the works!  But I don't know if that is going to be for Multi-Room/Signature Home Subs first or not.  That DVR is still in testing.  Or if not everyone can get a six-tuner DVR at least allow Navigator better management of recording back to back shows on the same channel!

 

Kevin, your profile says you are in Florida. Do you have Brighthouse Networks? (TWC's sister company.)  Do they have the new Black Guide down there?

 

Jack

post #16988 of 18536
Yes BHN here. No black guide yet. We only just got an update to 5.1.0_7 a week ago from 5.0.0_6 and a cable card firmware update.

Issues I see. I wonder if any have been already fixed in 5.2 yet?

I have an Cisco 8742 and still have problems with it not keeping track of the percentage used accurately. I thought 5.1 was doing better, but after a reboot the percentage dropped 5% indicating there's still a problem. Any sign of that being fixed yet with 5.2?

5.0 and 5.1 so far brings up the save and delete screen too early when fast forwarding near the end of the video and pressing play. It sometimes can appear as early as 5 minutes before the end if you're using 4x speed. I find you can't go higher than 2x speed to prevent this. If the screen does come up, you can at least press rewind then play real quick, but still annoying.

With 5.0 (not sure about 5.1 yet), I occasionally have seen the same show on the same channel get simultaneously recorded by both tuners. Weird. I think it happens when the guide timeslot slightly changes after the recordings are set causing it to see the same show as a new recording.

Series recordings really need to be reprocessed when the Guide data is updated, because too often shows that are no longer on the schedule are still set to record that timeslot when really they should be deleted. Also it would be nice if programs that only have generic data and not episode specific data weren't set to record even though they aren't flagged as new when you're recording is only set to record New programs. See Disney channels and Nickelodeon channels for often having shows in the guide without accurate data and then updated later, but too late because the recordings are already set. So, either reprocessing the guide should delete these or have a settings option to disable recording programs as new when they don't have data and are not marked as new.

The 8742 and my system seem to have issues with syncing to showing full resolution 1080i. I have the dvr set to only output 1080i (even if I output 720p the problem still occurs). Often when I turn on the DVR and it syncs through my AVR to the TV, the picture exhibits more aliasing than it should. Circles are jagged on channels logos and such and noticeable on text on screen. It's almost like it's a half resolution but not quite. I find that it doesn't really matter which order I turn my equipment on. The fix usually is to rapidly turn off and back on again the dvr until it displays correctly. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 times to get it right. Sometimes if the clock screen saver has been up for a while, coming out of it could have the same issue. Overlay interface graphics look fine, but that may be because they appear to be low resolution to begin with.

With a show has a conflict, the next available airing should always be already marked to record, but it doesn't always appear to be the case.

We recently had a head-end clock drift problem that was bad enough since reboots don't fix that, but yesterday I noticed the clock started drifting to about 4 seconds early. Rebooting brought it back in line with the correct time. So more consistent clock timing that maybe gets updated nightly would be a good idea.

5.1 has started kicking me out of watching a recording when 2 new programs begin recording. Didn't do that with 5.0 that I noticed.

Of course then there's the usual we all want a 16x9 HD graphics better laid out interface that doesn't truncate show titles or show to little time in the guide. multiple tuners, the return of group by favorites in the Guide, etc.

I'm sure there's probably a bunch more that I'm forgetting, but these are the big recent ones.
post #16989 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean View Post

Yes BHN here. No black guide yet. We only just got an update to 5.1.0_7 a week ago from 5.0.0_6 and a cable card firmware update.
Issues I see. I wonder if any have been already fixed in 5.2 yet?
I have an Cisco 8742 and still have problems with it not keeping track of the percentage used accurately. I thought 5.1 was doing better, but after a reboot the percentage dropped 5% indicating there's still a problem. Any sign of that being fixed yet with 5.2?
5.0 and 5.1 so far brings up the save and delete screen too early when fast forwarding near the end of the video and pressing play. It sometimes can appear as early as 5 minutes before the end if you're using 4x speed. I find you can't go higher than 2x speed to prevent this. If the screen does come up, you can at least press rewind then play real quick, but still annoying.
With 5.0 (not sure about 5.1 yet), I occasionally have seen the same show on the same channel get simultaneously recorded by both tuners. Weird. I think it happens when the guide timeslot slightly changes after the recordings are set causing it to see the same show as a new recording.
Series recordings really need to be reprocessed when the Guide data is updated, because too often shows that are no longer on the schedule are still set to record that timeslot when really they should be deleted. Also it would be nice if programs that only have generic data and not episode specific data weren't set to record even though they aren't flagged as new when you're recording is only set to record New programs. See Disney channels and Nickelodeon channels for often having shows in the guide without accurate data and then updated later, but too late because the recordings are already set. So, either reprocessing the guide should delete these or have a settings option to disable recording programs as new when they don't have data and are not marked as new.
The 8742 and my system seem to have issues with syncing to showing full resolution 1080i. I have the dvr set to only output 1080i (even if I output 720p the problem still occurs). Often when I turn on the DVR and it syncs through my AVR to the TV, the picture exhibits more aliasing than it should. Circles are jagged on channels logos and such and noticeable on text on screen. It's almost like it's a half resolution but not quite. I find that it doesn't really matter which order I turn my equipment on. The fix usually is to rapidly turn off and back on again the dvr until it displays correctly. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 times to get it right. Sometimes if the clock screen saver has been up for a while, coming out of it could have the same issue. Overlay interface graphics look fine, but that may be because they appear to be low resolution to begin with.
With a show has a conflict, the next available airing should always be already marked to record, but it doesn't always appear to be the case.
We recently had a head-end clock drift problem that was bad enough since reboots don't fix that, but yesterday I noticed the clock started drifting to about 4 seconds early. Rebooting brought it back in line with the correct time. So more consistent clock timing that maybe gets updated nightly would be a good idea.
5.1 has started kicking me out of watching a recording when 2 new programs begin recording. Didn't do that with 5.0 that I noticed.
Of course then there's the usual we all want a 16x9 HD graphics better laid out interface that doesn't truncate show titles or show to little time in the guide. multiple tuners, the return of group by favorites in the Guide, etc.
I'm sure there's probably a bunch more that I'm forgetting, but these are the big recent ones.

Good stuff!

 

I am gonna send to my source at TWC, and they can run some tests on the new black guide to see what still exisits and what has been fixed.  This is REALLY HELPFUL!  Thanks!

 

Jack

post #16990 of 18536
Unexpected change to remote control programming

Last night my 4250HDC was rebooted while I was out of the room - it came back up, same version of ODN.
What CHANGED was the bleeping remote control functions.

Once again, the a****** strategists at TWC have made Timers even more inaccessible for non-DVR customers.
The formerly convenient Settings Button NO LONGER goes to Settings - it's a clone of the Find Channels (A) button.
Earth to programming nincompoops - the big C and D buttons do Absolutely Nothing - how about reusing them?

It takes Eight key presses after 'A' to bring up the Reminder Timer list.
I am not amused.
---
Edited by DiveFan - 8/30/12 at 11:07pm
post #16991 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post

Good stuff!

I am gonna send to my source at TWC, and they can run some tests on the new black guide to see what still exisits and what has been fixed.  This is REALLY HELPFUL!  Thanks!

Jack
[/quote]

Wow! I hope this doesn't anger anybody, but I have had a 8742 (also on BHN) 8 months with none of those problems. All new cable(incl. drop line+inside) was run at install.
post #16992 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveFan View Post

Unexpected change to remote control programming
Last night my 4250HDC was rebooted while I was out of the room - it came back up, same version of ODN.
What CHANGED was the bleeping remote control functions.
Once again, the a****** strategists at TWC have made Timers even more inaccessible for non-DVR customers.
The formerly convenient Settings Button NO LONGER goes to Settings - it's a clone of the Find Channels (A) button.
Earth to programming nincompoops - the big C and D buttons do Absolutely Nothing - how about reusing them?
It takes Eight key presses after 'A' to bring up the Reminder Timer list.
I am not amused.
---

Sup Dive Fan?

 

Aussuming you have a remote from TWC, the A button brings up Find Channels.  The B button is the keyboard  Settings should go to Quick Settings.  The only duplicate that some divisions might get is the Menu button on the TWC remote, might go to Find Channels.  But the Settings button should control your box settings.

 

C should take you back to the previous screen.

 

Exit takes you out of all menus.

 

I'd call if this is not resolved by tomorrow.

 

Or do a cold reboot. Turn off box, unplug the box, wait 30 seconds, plug back in.  Wait till time shows on display for 30 seconds.  Settings (Quick Settings) should be there for all boxes.  The only thing as a non-DVR sub you don't get is the List (DVR List) menu for DVR recording Management.  Everything else should be the same.

 

Jack


Edited by Satch Man - 8/31/12 at 2:22pm
post #16993 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofast1 View Post

Wow! I hope this doesn't anger anybody, but I have had a 8742 (also on BHN) 8 months with none of those problems. All new cable(incl. drop line+inside) was run at install.

Considering most of those issues are very specifics usage issues, it's not surprising that you may not have come across them.

The one that should be pretty clear if you record a lot of shows is the percentage used one. If you haven't rebooted the DVR in a long time take a look at the percentage your dvr says it's using. Then reboot. (You can reboot by pressing down the select button until the indicator flashes on the front display, then press the up navigation arrow. On the resulting screen, switch to I think System Reboot or similar where you can then trigger a reboot).

After the dvr boots back up, wait at least 5 minutes (maybe more) and then look at your percentage used. If it's lower than before, you have the same issue.

5.1 may be more accurate than 5.0 was since for a little bit I thought 5.1 had fixed the issue, but a reboot for me proved that wrong. I've only had 5.1 for about a week so not much time for testing for changes.
post #16994 of 18536
Another recording conflict while trying to record F1 practice on SPEEDHD.
post #16995 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post

Assuming you have a remote from TWC, the A button brings up Find Channels.  The B button is the keyboard  Settings should go to Quick Settings.  The only duplicate that some divisions might get is the Menu button on the TWC remote, might go to Find Channels.  But the Settings button should control your box settings. C should take you back to the previous screen. Exit takes you out of all menus.

I'd call if this is not resolved by tomorrow.

Or do a cold reboot. Turn off box, unplug the box, wait 30 seconds, plug back in.  Wait till time shows on display for 30 seconds.  Settings (Quick Settings) should be there for all boxes.  The only thing as a non-DVR sub you don't get is the List (DVR List) menu for DVR recording Management.  Everything else should be the same.

Jack

Hi Jack,
- I have the usual TWC supplied UEI universal remote. Was a good design until they added another key in the 'exit' arc.
- As I said before, the C and D keys have NEVER done anything under Navigator on my non-DVR boxes.
- Cold reboot - first thing I tried - no change.
- Call TWC - HA HA HA HA HA. If it wasn't for your fine rep, I'd consider this an insult. Phone support is a joke. I have the local VP's name for a hard copy letter.
Thanks, Mike
post #16996 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveFan View Post


Hi Jack,
- I have the usual TWC supplied UEI universal remote. Was a good design until they added another key in the 'exit' arc.
- As I said before, the C and D keys have NEVER done anything under Navigator on my non-DVR boxes.
- Cold reboot - first thing I tried - no change.
- Call TWC - HA HA HA HA HA. If it wasn't for your fine rep, I'd consider this an insult. Phone support is a joke. I have the local VP's name for a hard copy letter.
Thanks, Mike

LOL!!!

 

CRAP!!!  Mike  I gotta open this up for some of the other TWC customers.  Maybe someone with the black guide on a non-DVR box can chime in here.  Yea, calling TWC is useless most of the time.  The reps in my area are OK for billing and stuff here in Wisconsin.  But as you know the answer to all of their world's problems is reboot the box and than role out a tech.

 

Mike, if you want, you can PM me your letter!  I have read several TWC letters over the years!  (Had cable for 25 years!)  So I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly.

 

The "D" button I know was added to newer remotes.  That does nothing yet.  Anyone else with the Black Guide, check out your non-DVR boxes.  Does the C button do nothing?  So Quick Settings Mike is going to Find Channels on your box?  So if you want to change Quick Settings like for Display, Output Resolution, Times, when you press Settings, it just brings up the A (Find Channels) menu?

 

I think the programmers are on crack in your node!  Good to see you are reporting this, Mike!

 

Jack

 

PS.  Two more questions.  Mike before TWC messed things up with the reboot today, did the Quick Settings Button go to Settings and not to Find Channels?  Did you have or I wonder if you could test another box that is non-DVR to see if the C button works and that the Quick Settings button goes to the proper menu?


Edited by Satch Man - 8/31/12 at 9:53pm
post #16997 of 18536
Actually the D button does have a function. If you have 3D enabled on the box and a 3DTV, the D button will force the box into 3D mode where you can select from Over/Under or Side By Side depending on how the 3D content is being transmitted from the source. It’s a poor solution though. DirecTV’s boxes can automatically detect a 3D signal and both the box and the TV will go into 3D mode with no additional actions having to be taken by the user.
post #16998 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mehs View Post

Actually the D button does have a function. If you have 3D enabled on the box and a 3DTV, the D button will force the box into 3D mode where you can select from Over/Under or Side By Side depending on how the 3D content is being transmitted from the source. It’s a poor solution though. DirecTV’s boxes can automatically detect a 3D signal and both the box and the TV will go into 3D mode with no additional actions having to be taken by the user.

When enabled under Settings--> Devices--> 3D Mode Enabled, the [green, diamond,] D button operates as a 4-way toggle - 2D, 3DSS, 3DOU, AUTO. The first press will display the current mode (on the front panel), and subsequent presses within a ~2 second window will change modes. (semi-automatic)

-nony
Edited by nony - 9/1/12 at 8:59am
post #16999 of 18536
Yep, I know all that stuff. Problem is when viewing 3D content, it’s not fully automatic like with DirecTV, watching a 3D blu ray or playing a 3D PS3 game.
post #17000 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mehs View Post

Actually the D button does have a function. If you have 3D enabled on the box and a 3DTV, the D button will force the box into 3D mode where you can select from Over/Under or Side By Side depending on how the 3D content is being transmitted from the source. It’s a poor solution though. DirecTV’s boxes can automatically detect a 3D signal and both the box and the TV will go into 3D mode with no additional actions having to be taken by the user.

 

Thanks!

 

I just remembered after reading this explanation that the "D" button is an option on newer remotes to enable 3D TV viewing.  I have never heard of DiveFan's (Mike's) issues with Quick Settings going to Find Channels on a non-DVR box.  Something is very wrong here.  Because if the Quick Settings duplicated the A button, non-DVR boxes would have no Quick Settings control!  Even the C button doing nothing.  Something is wrong in Dive Fan's node.

 

Once we are able to find out what Mike had before the reboot messed things up, it will tell us a lot! The above really is an interesting case, that if Mike wants, I can send to my TWC source.  Find out what's going on here.

 

Jack

post #17001 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Reed View Post


I have never been successful at leaving a conflict alone and having it record correctly.


Last night, I had selected America's Got Talent (A), and Dancing with the Stars (B) to record. AGT was from 8-10 and DWTS was from 8-9:30. I also had selected a PBS special on Johnny Carson (C) which was on from 9-11. All 3 programs were series recordings. The guide indicated the Johnny Carson show would not record; it was greyed out. The other two were in red.


At 8:10 I checked what was recording, and AGT was not recording. I selected it to record and had to cancel the Johnny Carson special to do so. I then had to manually select a later recording of Johnny Carson.


This is not the behavior I expect. From everyone's description, I should have to do nothing. AGT and DWTS should have automatically recorded, and the PBS show should have recorded on another day.


I have tried leaving the schedule alone before, and have had similar results. Am I doing something wrong, or do others have different software? I'm stumped.


Betty Reed

TWC San Diego

Cisco 8640

ODN 5.1.06


With the latest release of 5.2.09, I am pleased that schedule conflict resolution is at least partially working. I had 3 programs set to record at the same time (A, B, C) with their priorities set in that order. A and B did record properly, and C was rescheduled for a later time. Yay!

BUT, I tried another scenario that failed. I had programs A and B, both one hour shows, scheduled to record at 9:00, and program C, a half hour show, scheduled at 9:30. At 9:00 program A was recording properly but program B was not. Then at 9:30, program C (the lowest priority program) started recording. Program B, a higher priority program than C never recorded at all.

So it appears that if all your programs start at the same time, the scheduler will record with your priority list in mind. But if your programs are staggered, the scheduler become confused. It's disappointing to me because the scheduler still has to be monitored.

I have been unable to find any other bugs for 5.2.09, so that is good. Hopefully TW will see this and get another release out to us soon.

Betty Reed
TWC San Diego
Cisco 8640
ODN 5.2.09
post #17002 of 18536
Does anyone know why my Cisco 8642 flashes Ecut 15 minutes after it boots? It's only started this after the 5.0.2_9 update. Also does anyone know what Ecut means?
post #17003 of 18536
Charlotte's AutoHD lineup expanded by three channels:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

Looks like a few more channels were added to AutoHD... AMC, DIY and Outdoor:

TWC Charlotte AutoHD Lineup

Linear (OTA)
• CBS (WBTV)
• ABC (WSOC)
• NBC (WCNC)
• FOX (WCCB)
• MyTV (WMYT)
• IND (WAXN)
• PBS (WUNG)
• PBS (WTVI)

Linear
• A&E
• ABC Family
• Cartoon
• Disney
• ESPN
• ESPN2
• Fox News
• FX
• Lifetime
• News 14
• NICK
• TBS
• TNT
• USA

SDV
• BBCA
• AMC
• Bio
• DestAM
• DisneyXD
• DIY
• ESPNN
• ESPNU
• Fox Biz
• Fox Soccer
• Fuse
• G4
• Golf
• H2
• Hallmark Movies
• ID
• MLB
• NBC Sports
• NG Wild
• NHL
• Outdoor
• Ovation
• OWN
• Oxygen
• Science
• Style
• Travel
post #17004 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by its.mike View Post

Does anyone know why my Cisco 8642 flashes Ecut 15 minutes after it boots? It's only started this after the 5.0.2_9 update. Also does anyone know what Ecut means?

Hi Mike,

 

Not sure on the Ecut code.  I have heard of some boxes getting stuck on L-13.  I'll ask my TWC tech guy.  Is the box working well, otherwise?

 

Jack

post #17005 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by its.mike View Post

Does anyone know why my Cisco 8642 flashes Ecut 15 minutes after it boots? It's only started this after the 5.0.2_9 update. Also does anyone know what Ecut means?

I had a Samsung box that used to do that. After the upgrade to 5.0.2_7, it stopped being able to do whole-home streaming, so it got replaced by a Cisco box. I think the Samsung had a hardware problem of some sort.

-Ted
post #17006 of 18536
Everything else works fine except fast forwarding through remote recordings. I can start playback but if I try to fast forward it stops.

It was fine until the 5.0.2_9 upgrade. Which I believe is what cause the problem. Initially after receiving the "update" the search string displayed "!!! Missing !!!" instead of "Search".
post #17007 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by nony View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mehs View Post

Actually the D button does have a function. If you have 3D enabled on the box and a 3DTV, the D button will force the box into 3D mode where you can select from Over/Under or Side By Side depending on how the 3D content is being transmitted from the source. It’s a poor solution though. DirecTV’s boxes can automatically detect a 3D signal and both the box and the TV will go into 3D mode with no additional actions having to be taken by the user.

When enabled under Settings--> Devices--> 3D Mode Enabled, the [green, diamond,] D button operates as a 4-way toggle - 2D, 3DSS, 3DOU, AUTO. The first press will display the current mode (on the front panel), and subsequent presses within a ~2 second window will change modes. (semi-automatic)

-nony
Presumably, the "auto" setting (which persists across channel changes) is/was meant to provide said functionality, (although it has never worked for me).

Still, the green D button is required to force the STB's OSD menus to render in the correct 3D format while viewing 3D content. Otherwise, the STB OSD menus/overlays will not be viewable.

-nony
Edited by nony - 9/2/12 at 10:00pm
post #17008 of 18536
Quote:
Originally Posted by its.mike View Post

Everything else works fine except fast forwarding through remote recordings. I can start playback but if I try to fast forward it stops.
It was fine until the 5.0.2_9 upgrade. Which I believe is what cause the problem. Initially after receiving the "update" the search string displayed "!!! Missing !!!" instead of "Search".

Mike,

 

On that fast-forward issue.  When you talk about playing back recordings remotely, do you mean those recordings set through Remote DVR Manager, or are you a Whole House DVR/Signature Home sub?  Or is the FF issue on any remote recording playback situation?  If you have Whole House DVR, what is the make/model of each DVR and stand-alone STB in the home?  And what box(es) have this remote recording issue?

 

My source did not know about that error code Ecut.  However, I have some other TWC guys too, and we are going to investigate this code message.

 

Jack

post #17009 of 18536
Here are issues I have seen with my 8742 from BrightHouse, using 5.1.0_7 ODN. These issues were not seen in my old 8300HD on BrightHouse.

1) No way to filter the guide so that I can see only my favorite channels
2) The DVR doesn’t resolve its own recording conflicts, even when some shows are rebroadcast later in the week
3) While a recording is in progress, the info button in the guide list no longer shows the time the recording will end. It shows the current time, so you have no idea if you are in the middle of a 30 minute recording or a 2 hour recording.
4) The recording log is complete chaos. It seems to be in a random order. It doesn’t appear to be sorted alphabetically or chronologically (like the 8300HD).
5) The recording log doesn’t support the “info” button so there is no way to get any details (like episode title or description).
6) It wants to record things after I have told it NOT to record that episode. For example, the DVR insisted on recording the reruns of Americas Got Talent on Sunday evening (that I had cancelled Friday and Saturday) and it failed to record the NASCAR race (a higher priority) because of this "unresolved conflict"

The random recordings and broken conflict resolution is extremely annoying. I have to babysit the stupid DVR constantly. BrightHouse says that they are working on it frown.gif
post #17010 of 18536
Just caught up on the thread and wanted to know if anyone else is still getting audio drop outs? It's been a consistent issue for a long time and I'm getting reports from my customers as well that they experience it. The work around is to "jump back" then go live again which restores it. Confirmed on the 8742 and 8640. The other glitch I'm noticing is that the DVR end screen comes up before the program is actually over if you are fast forwarding.Also, many, many shows are still cutting off the ends.

I had to force a reboot again yesterday because the box was so unusable. 5 second button press delays, loss of the banner, DVR showing shows in the guide window, etc...

I'm getting to find ALOT more with this software because I've been laid up a bit so I'm actually watch more TV than usual.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Time Warner Cable Navigator