Here are issues I have seen with my 8742 from BrightHouse, using 5.1.0_7 ODN. These issues were not seen in my old 8300HD on BrightHouse.
1) No way to filter the guide so that I can see only my favorite channels
2) The DVR doesn’t resolve its own recording conflicts, even when some shows are rebroadcast later in the week
3) While a recording is in progress, the info button in the guide list no longer shows the time the recording will end. It shows the current time, so you have no idea if you are in the middle of a 30 minute recording or a 2 hour recording.
4) The recording log is complete chaos. It seems to be in a random order. It doesn’t appear to be sorted alphabetically or chronologically (like the 8300HD).
5) The recording log doesn’t support the “info” button so there is no way to get any details (like episode title or description).
6) It wants to record things after I have told it NOT to record that episode. For example, the DVR insisted on recording the reruns of Americas Got Talent on Sunday evening (that I had cancelled Friday and Saturday) and it failed to record the NASCAR race (a higher priority) because of this "unresolved conflict"
The random recordings and broken conflict resolution is extremely annoying. I have to babysit the stupid DVR constantly. BrightHouse says that they are working on it
The new versions of the Black Guide ODN 5.2.09 and MDN 3.2.5 are pretty solid releases. You should inquire as in this Brighthouse Forum as to when the new guide is coming out, and report back in this forum:
I have heard that BHNTechXpert a poster there, is very helpful and knowledgable about issues specific to BHN's services. You might want to contact him for issues about your current guide problems, and when the new Black Guide is coming in your area of Florida. It is a BHN specific forum as well.
We like to hear about new releases and updates. I can answer a couple questions:
1.) The new Black Guide does have Guide Filtering where you hit the guide button twice, it will sort by your choice of:
All channels (default)
It will hold, but is for the Time Grid only, not for search screens at this time.
2.) There is improved Conflict Resolution in this release.
3.) The Info bar (at least on playback) shows where you are in the recording, the time elapsed, and the end time. It has more detail.
4.) I believe the Record Log is properly organized with the new Black Guide.
6.) Recording reliability has been improved, but still needs some work.
A ton of bugs were fixed with the new Black Guide. TWC wants all systems on it by the end of the year. I don't know what areas of TWC need to be updated. I would inquiry at the forum above for BHN on the new guide. There are a couple of tech guys who post there that would know. My box an SA-8300HDC is faster with the update, and keyboard search, which used to lag like crazy with ODN 5.2.07 has been fixed and is now very fast in ODN 5.2.09. There is occasional lag in the Time Grid when the top-left corner does not change, and you have to go back to the previous time slot cell to get it to change. "Please Waits" are very fast when bringing up the keyboard. Brining up letters on the keyboard is instantaneous. Loading Data messages are only about a five second maximum wait.
TWC wants all the bugs out of the guide before adding new features. Let us know by registering and posting at the Brighthouse Networks forum when the Black Guide is coming for you!
Edited by Satch Man - 9/3/12 at 3:28pm