The Director of Software development is posting at the TWC Untangled Blog. It might be a good time to leave some feedback.
Here's my two cents for them:
If you guys are serious about fixing this mess, here are the top ten things you need to do because I'm ready to switch providers solely based on the performance of this software (Yes, it's THAT bad!)
Top Ten ways to make the guide user friendly:
1) Auto HD for all channels. Yes, this is likely controlled from the headend on a division by division basis, but it's needed.
2) A "real' Guide Filter option. Allow for addition/subtraction of channels from the guide and scan. You wouldn't have all the confusion you mention in the blog if you opted for a true guide filter.
3) Change the orientation of the DVR List screen so you can read the show names. Right now they are almost all cutoff. Then add Folders for the DVR List
4) Have KEYWORD search that defaults to ALL and nothing else. Why the redundant options for Title, Name, etc. If it searches ALL, then no matter what the person types in, it should find it.
5) Remove kick to live after watching a recorded show and default back to list
6) Ability to set list display by title or by date as it currently always defaults to date (SARA did 4 & 5)
7) Move to a 16x9 GUI and utilize the extra screen real estate (on boxes that support it)
8) Have a dedicated setting/list for priority. You currently have to go through each and every show to shuffle it in the priority list where a simple click and move list would do.
9) For Whole Home: Show scheduled recordings among all devices to avoid duplicates
10) For Whole Home: Use other DVR's for conflict resolution. If a DVR has a conflict and nothing is scheduled on a connected device, send the recording there. This requires implementation of #8
Some of these are features that other guide have had for literally a DECADE! Some, like the last for multi-room may not be available yet or require very advanced programming - however, the units can see each others lists, so manipulating them should be possible.
Now, those arecompetitiveres to make it competative and user friendly. One of the other key issues is stability! Right now, many of of face near daily reboots just to make it function properly. It bogs down, has audio drop outs, and various other issues. You can find much more detailed and HONEST info/feedback over at the AVS Forum. Here is a link to the current postings:
I strongly suggest if you honestly want to do what you say and make this interface better that you really start paying attention to things that will actually make it better. Providing instructions for some convoluted implementation of what is supposed to be a guide filter isn't fixing the problem, it's explaining it away and writing it off.
Right now, I'm paying $215 a month for my "Signature Home" service to contend with this monstrosity. So, you've put it out via this blog that you care - that's great. Now, prove it!Edited by BenJF3 - 9/20/12 at 12:09pm