or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Infocus IN72 Specific Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Infocus IN72 Specific Thread - Page 68

post #2011 of 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvereyes View Post

did anyone get 24fps on this projector with an hd-dvd player?

Do you mean 1080p? I get it all the time with my PS3.
post #2012 of 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post

Has anyone noticed the CA problem with their 72? I looked at the test patterns last night and my 72 has some severe chromatic aberation. Just wondered if anyone else had noticed this.

Yes. My second IN72 had significant CR (this first one had very little). I just chalked it up to the quality of the lens (and unit-to-unit production differences) one can expect at this price point.
post #2013 of 2274
Just wondering if anyone here has Repair Service Manual for Infocus IN72.
One of the capacitor in the IN72 just burned and need to be replaced.
Customer service wants me to send it in and fix it for $400 but I know I can fix it myself for less than $5.
All I need is the capacitance and voltage of the capacitor.
So...does any one has the Service Manual or has opened the projector before and knows the information for the capacitor?
If you know, please let me know.

Thanks,
Dale
post #2014 of 2274
My IN72: purchased on Feb 7, 2007; exploded on Jan 19, 2008 at 12:23am, RIP.

Only had about 800 hours on the bulb, power led doesn't even light now. There was a flash, I heard flame for a bit, saw some light coming out the sides and my smoke alarms went off.

I really hope the 1 year warranty covers the bulb too in this case, otherwise this is ********.
post #2015 of 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowman View Post

My IN72: purchased on Feb 7, 2007; exploded on Jan 19, 2008 at 12:23am, RIP.

Only had about 800 hours on the bulb, power led doesn't even light now. There was a flash, I heard flame for a bit, saw some light coming out the sides and my smoke alarms went off.

I really hope the 1 year warranty covers the bulb too in this case, otherwise this is ********.

Mellowman,

I feel your pain, check this out:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post10354471

First cool down (you know...mellow-out ) and call Infocus main office next week 1-800-799-9911 (Monday is fed holiday, may be closed) tell them you have a very real safety concern. I spoke with Infocus and got a quick response that was resolved to my satisfaction.

Good Luck,
sgibson
post #2016 of 2274
I want to get a HD DVD player but I'm not sure if I should go with a 1080i or 1080p player. Is there a difference in PQ between 1080i and 1080p when viewed on the IN72?
post #2017 of 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by 951 View Post

I want to get a HD DVD player but I'm not sure if I should go with a 1080i or 1080p player. Is there a difference in PQ between 1080i and 1080p when viewed on the IN72?

No difference in 6-12 months for certain, as there will be no HD-DVD discs to buy with everything Blu.

The real answer is that you won't see the difference at all with the IN72.
post #2018 of 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibson View Post

Mellowman,

I feel your pain, check this out:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post10354471

First cool down (you know...mellow-out ) and call Infocus main office next week 1-800-799-9911 (Monday is fed holiday, may be closed) tell them you have a very real safety concern. I spoke with Infocus and got a quick response that was resolved to my satisfaction.

Good Luck,
sgibson

Thanks for the post, not sure if knowing my experience isn't an isolated one is good or not. guess both.

Called Infocus today despite this being a holiday (another perk in offshoring the call center to India).

Not that helpful really. After explaining twice that my in72 had some how shorted itself and caught on fire, they seemed only to listen to the part that it doesn't work anymore.

Anyway, initially they wanted $375 to fix it and when I mentioned it was under warranty they said it was registered as having been purchased in Aug. '06. Apparently they have no record of me sending in for my rebate (which required a receipt, S/N on form) or when I registered it online just after I purchase.

So, now I have to fax in a copy (no email, fax for my convenience) and the number is quite busy. I have to call back in a day or 2 (so 2) and go through this again to get an RMA #. Even after sending it in, I won't hear anything for 2 weeks.

Stay tuned...
post #2019 of 2274
I recently got PS3 for my theater room which has IN72. I must say, the picture was not really much better than my 480p dvd player. I expected this since IN72 is native 480p.

What was also disappointing was that PS3 will only output Dolby Digital over Toslink. My current receiver (rxv-2500) is capable of driving 7 channels but does not have HDMI which means I have to upgrade my receiver. At that point I might as well as upgrade my projector as well and do HDMI connection (I have component now) Has anyone ran 50ft HDMI succesfully?

So I moved PS3 to upstairs family room where I have 720p TV... I guess that will do for now since I can't afford (my wife won't let me) to upgrade both receiver and PJ.
post #2020 of 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowman View Post

Thanks for the post, not sure if knowing my experience isn't an isolated one is good or not. guess both.

Called Infocus today despite this being a holiday (another perk in offshoring the call center to India).

Not that helpful really. After explaining twice that my in72 had some how shorted itself and caught on fire, they seemed only to listen to the part that it doesn't work anymore.

Anyway, initially they wanted $375 to fix it and when I mentioned it was under warranty they said it was registered as having been purchased in Aug. '06. Apparently they have no record of me sending in for my rebate (which required a receipt, S/N on form) or when I registered it online just after I purchase.

So, now I have to fax in a copy (no email, fax for my convenience) and the number is quite busy. I have to call back in a day or 2 (so 2) and go through this again to get an RMA #. Even after sending it in, I won't hear anything for 2 weeks.

Stay tuned...

Last Friday I returned my IN72 for M1-DA port problem. I used Infocus E-mail Tech Support: http://www.infocus.com/Support/Contact.aspx and got the same

response about my pj being out of warranty. Then I e-mailed a *screen capture (jpeg) of my Registration info (April '07) and all was okay with Infocus.

They e-mailed RMA with shipping instructions the same day. I carried the pj to FedEx and it was packed/sent out very same day. Received e-mail

confirmation that it was rec'd by Infocus-Louisville Repair Center today( As I noted via FedEx Tracking). Hope to have it back sometime next week.

* I learned to do a screen capture and save it as jpeg for any product registration..bailed me out more than once.

Hope this helps, good luck again.
post #2021 of 2274
Actually does help, thanks. I was wondering why I couldn't just email it in but I guess if you contact them through a phone then that is how everything gets handled.

Sent in a warranty repair request via their website. Maybe this is better method in dealing with them as there will be at least some written trail of what happens.
post #2022 of 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowman View Post

Actually does help, thanks. I was wondering why I couldn't just email it in but I guess if you contact them through a phone then that is how everything gets handled.

Sent in a warranty repair request via their website. Maybe this is better method in dealing with them as there will be at least some written trail of what happens.

For the reasons you mentioned, e-mail can be the way to go. BTW, "hats off " to Infocus Repair Service-2 day turnaround for my IN72 with M1-DA problem.
The IN72's only 15 miles away, but it shipped ground and it's the weekend, so it'll be here Monday (in plenty time to see "Superbowl").
post #2023 of 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibson View Post

Last Friday I returned my IN72 for M1-DA port problem. I used Infocus E-mail Tech Support: http://www.infocus.com/Support/Contact.aspx and got the same

response about my pj being out of warranty. Then I e-mailed a *screen capture (jpeg) of my Registration info (April '07) and all was okay with Infocus.

They e-mailed RMA with shipping instructions the same day. I carried the pj to FedEx and it was packed/sent out very same day. Received e-mail

confirmation that it was rec'd by Infocus-Louisville Repair Center today( As I noted via FedEx Tracking). Hope to have it back sometime next week.

* I learned to do a screen capture and save it as jpeg for any product registration..bailed me out more than once.

Hope this helps, good luck again.

Yup, I do this EVERY time I register something - I also like to have CNN running in the background with the time/date on it Not that you couldn't just "create" that but it's saved my bacon once.
post #2024 of 2274
Hello

I got the DVI to M1-DA cable from monoprice last week.

I have connected the comcast HD box to IN72. Sending 720p

I had earlier connected the HD box to IN72 via DVI-HDMI cable.

I notice the following problem with the M1-DA


When I go to the channel guide (4:3 image) the image starts
shaking. if I quit channel guide the image from any channel, whether
HD or SD is just fine.

I have not make any changes to setting. Just disconnected HDMI and
put M1-DA because I need the HDMI port for my DVD player (OPPO 980H)

I dont get this image shaking issue with component video either.

Since it happens only with channel but doesnt happen with
HDMI or component I cant pin point where the problem is.

I searched this forum but I didnt get any posts but I remember seeing
some posts late last year regarding M1-DA issues.


I dont like to switch to 1080i on the box because the image is lot
better with 720p and I just dont want to go back to 1080i

Any one has any issues with the M1-DA connection and comcast HD box.

Thanks
post #2025 of 2274
MY IN72 won't display 720p properly out of an SA 8300HD (Time Warner). The image is always overblown and too big to fit the screen for some reason. Plus the IN72 doesn't like the ridiculous HDCP copy protection when set to passthrough. unfortunately, I've found the only way to get this to work without issue is to use the fixed 1080i output. I just got a long enough component cable and am going to try that because it will eliminate the HDCP, but I don't know how that will affect the PQ. I'll report back once I try some different hookups.
post #2026 of 2274
Ben,
Check the aspect ratio on the projector. It may be set to native and the PJ is showing the only the middle pixels. Set it 16:9 and see if that corrects the problem.

A. Dude.
post #2027 of 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

No difference in 6-12 months for certain, as there will be no HD-DVD discs to buy with everything Blu.

The real answer is that you won't see the difference at all with the IN72.

I see a difference when viewing an HD DVD over a SD DVD. I've watched the same movie on both formats and their is a significant improvement in color and sharpness when watching most HD DVD's. It all depends on the HD transfer though.
post #2028 of 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by adude View Post

Ben,
Check the aspect ratio on the projector. It may be set to native and the PJ is showing the only the middle pixels. Set it 16:9 and see if that corrects the problem.

A. Dude.

Thanks, I'll check it out. However, I don't know if that will correct the "setting up image" issue where the IN72 loses the picture when switching formats. The general consensus was other people were having this problem and chalked it up to the HDCP. I'll experiment with aspect ratios as well as component hookup and see what the results are.
post #2029 of 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunction26 View Post

I see a difference when viewing an HD DVD over a SD DVD. I've watched the same movie on both formats and their is a significant improvement in color and sharpness when watching most HD DVD's. It all depends on the HD transfer though.


Same here...when comparing the HD-DVD vs SD-DVD of "The Searchers" (Fine old western with great outdoor scenes filmed in Monument Valey, Utah) the difference is anything but subtle-in terms of color, details (sharpness) and sound, when viewed on 96" screen from 12'. I might add, the same applys to Blu-Ray. Of course, the original film master and it's transfer play a significant role in the comparison/enjoyment.
post #2030 of 2274
I can now confirm that the HDCP is causing the problem. I went through component and the IN72 handles the resolution changes just fine. My next step would be a firmware upgrade, but I doubt that will make a difference. HDCP is a joke! If Time Warner would disable it I wouldn't be having these issues. Thing is I can see a PQ difference between the HDMI and Component (slight as it may be) yet I may be forced to use the Component to avoid the switching issues. Is anyone else having problems with the resolution changes? When I go through HDMI, I end up (sometimes) with a blank screen.

Also, Thanks adude, I don't know how I missed that with the aspect ratio. Probably because I had it set to Native for my Bravo to pixelmap. Doh! Isn't the native setting supposed to be 16x9 anyhow? I have to see if the Bravo still run right with pixel mapping at that aspect ratio.

Thanks for the input!
post #2031 of 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunction26 View Post

I see a difference when viewing an HD DVD over a SD DVD. I've watched the same movie on both formats and their is a significant improvement in color and sharpness when watching most HD DVD's. It all depends on the HD transfer though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibson View Post

Same here...when comparing the HD-DVD vs SD-DVD of "The Searchers" (Fine old western with great outdoor scenes filmed in Monument Valey, Utah) the difference is anything but subtle-in terms of color, details (sharpness) and sound, when viewed on 96" screen from 12'. I might add, the same applys to Blu-Ray. Of course, the original film master and it's transfer play a significant role in the comparison/enjoyment.

The OP asks:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 951 View Post

I want to get a HD DVD player but I'm not sure if I should go with a 1080i or 1080p player. Is there a difference in PQ between 1080i and 1080p when viewed on the IN72?

To which, I answered:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

The real answer is that you won't see the difference at all with the IN72.

In regard to SD versus Blu/HD, while the colors are slightly more punchy with my PS3 and HD units, the D1 at custom res and 48Hz destroys Blu and HD in every other aspect when paired with the IN72.
post #2032 of 2274
So how hard is it to find a D1 player, and how much do they typically go for?
post #2033 of 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbgl View Post

So how hard is it to find a D1 player, and how much do they typically go for?

Check the last few pages of this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...60701&page=133

Lots of AVS members are willing to let their spares (I own 4) go for the paltry sum of $35 - $50. A pittance for such a quality player, perfectly matched for the SP4805/In72.

P.S. You can't have mine.
post #2034 of 2274
Why do you need four?
post #2035 of 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbgl View Post

Why do you need four?

One each, for; home theatre, 9 year-old son's mini-theatre, media room, backup.

At one time, I had 8.
post #2036 of 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

Hello

I got the DVI to M1-DA cable from monoprice last week.

I have connected the comcast HD box to IN72. Sending 720p

I had earlier connected the HD box to IN72 via DVI-HDMI cable.

I notice the following problem with the M1-DA


When I go to the channel guide (4:3 image) the image starts
shaking. if I quit channel guide the image from any channel, whether
HD or SD is just fine.

I have not make any changes to setting. Just disconnected HDMI and
put M1-DA because I need the HDMI port for my DVD player (OPPO 980H)

I dont get this image shaking issue with component video either.

Since it happens only with channel but doesnt happen with
HDMI or component I cant pin point where the problem is.

I searched this forum but I didnt get any posts but I remember seeing
some posts late last year regarding M1-DA issues.


I dont like to switch to 1080i on the box because the image is lot
better with 720p and I just dont want to go back to 1080i

Any one has any issues with the M1-DA connection and comcast HD box.

Thanks


anybody?
post #2037 of 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

anybody?

Mupi,

Why not just use component then? The M1 and component at 720p are identical PQ-wise with pretty much anything other than a Bravo D1. Any perceived differences are purely an illusion with the Comcast boxes. Let me guess...you've got a 6412/6416? (Not that it matters.)
post #2038 of 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

Mupi,

Why not just use component then? The M1 and component at 720p are identical PQ-wise with pretty much anything other than a Bravo D1. Any perceived differences are purely an illusion with the Comcast boxes. Let me guess...you've got a 6412/6416? (Not that it matters.)

I have to go with Spyder here. I posted above about the issues with HDMI via my SA8300HD. Since the cable company will not disable the HDCP on the box, I am pretty much forced to go with component if I want to use passthrough and have the IN72 scale everything. It seemed that the HDMI "looks" cleaner to me, but truth is I can't specifically pick out any differences. I double checked each picture and tend to agree that it's the perception of the digital (HDMI) vs. analog (component). So, unless the firmware upgrade to 3.0 fixes the HDCP handshake issue, I will be running the component cables. I really only went with HDMI for the one wire solution and because it could be switched via my A/V receiver between my Bravo. I chose to NOT use the M1-DA port because I want to have my cable run future ready and the M1-DA port isn't standard on all projectors. Even though I most likely will replace my IN72 with another Infocus model, I didn't want to have to rip all my wiring out in the event that I find some other brand I want (specifically, a 1080p with LED light engine).

PS: If anybody does have a solution or workaround for the 8300HD and the IN72 to make it work with HDMI, PLEASE let me know.
post #2039 of 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

The OP asks:


To which, I answered:

In regard to SD versus Blu/HD, while the colors are slightly more punchy with my PS3 and HD units, the D1 at custom res and 48Hz destroys Blu and HD in every other aspect when paired with the IN72.

I am now running a toshiba A2 and runs just flawless along with the in72.
Video quality was great with the D1 but I had many problems with the loader when it comes to playing dvd-r's as it experienced constant skipping even after the cap mod and it times wouldn't eject discs.

Hopefully I can get the D1 up and running again to see if the custom rez really destroys or not.
post #2040 of 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

Mupi,

Why not just use component then? The M1 and component at 720p are identical PQ-wise with pretty much anything other than a Bravo D1. Any perceived differences are purely an illusion with the Comcast boxes. Let me guess...you've got a 6412/6416? (Not that it matters.)

I have the 6200. I am afraid I will have to disagree that PQ via component and M1-DA is the same. I find that PQ via HDMI and M1-DA are pretty much identical. Component is noticably softer. This is all for the comcast HD box.

Like I said before only the channel guide shakes, the actual channel image is just fine. So I cant say where the problem is. I can try to exchange the DVI - M1/DA cable. The cable is only some 9 bucks but I will end up paying more in return S&H and S&H again for the replacement.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Infocus IN72 Specific Thread