or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › The official Toshiba 62MX196/72MX196 OWNER'S THREAD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official Toshiba 62MX196/72MX196 OWNER'S THREAD - Page 8

post #211 of 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post

I finally fot the 62H196 set...yeah for me

A couple of question to some tha have this set.

1) On some of my HD channels I see a white line at the top of the screen. If I change the screen size to different settings it moves on the screen to the top of the picture. depending on the screen format.

It looks like this (of course the pattern is wrong) ..__..._____.....__......___..._


Is this white line normal..


2) When I look at the settings it always says the viewing is at 480...how do I change this to 720 or 1080. I cant see that in the instruction booklet.

The white line is not normal. Is it on all sources, i.e. DVD's and SD as well? If so its a problem with the set. If not, its probably the source.
post #212 of 570
The source is a Pace cable box provided by my local cabel provider. I don't see the lines on all HD channels..I noticed it on one ,,,then a few minutes later it was on another. But the rest of the HD channels are fine...so far.

I have not yet hooked up the DVD...will try and see.
post #213 of 570
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post

When you use the color management system, can't you see the changes immediately if you pause a dvd frame having the color you want to adjust? Or does the screen go blank or dark and only after exiting the color management can you see the resuls?

My front projector has a color management system (although you can put a cursor on any color you want and then adjust the three parametters) but it shows immmediately, allowing you to change or save.

Thanks.

Shelly

Yes you can see the image on pause while adjusting colors.
post #214 of 570
Can anyone comment on whether there is a hum audible from your viewing position?

This would be different from fan noise, but can the fan noise be heard as well from your seat?

Shelly
post #215 of 570
I sit 13 feet from my TV and there is no hum nor can I hear the fan noise.

Of course, I forgot to mention that I'm deaf. (Just kidding. I can never pass up an obvious joke. It's an addiction of mine )
post #216 of 570
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseven View Post

I sit 13 feet from my TV and there is no hum nor can I hear the fan noise.

Of course, I forgot to mention that I'm deaf. (Just kidding. I can never pass up an obvious joke. It's an addiction of mine )

Same here.

Impossible to hear noise from the TV with all the noise coming out of my 360!
post #217 of 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post

Can anyone comment on whether there is a hum audible from your viewing position?

This would be different from fan noise, but can the fan noise be heard as well from your seat?

Shelly

I sit about 15' away and sometimes I can hear it in very quiet scenes.
post #218 of 570
Has anyone tried to reduce the overscan on their set? I took a look at the HDNet test pattern and it showed 6%-8% overscan on my 62MX916. My HLP Samsung only has 2%-4% on the same pattern.

bslep, do you know if this was something Eliab was able to adjust in the service menu?
post #219 of 570
I just found yet another great review of the HM/MX196 over at Sound and Vision. He really liked the high level of detail, and great black levels. Issues are the usual way to cool color out of the box, and of course rainbows. He also points out the set resolves all lines in a 1080i test pattern.

"Test patterns confirmed that the 62HM196 could resolve every detail of a 1080i signal, a feat few other 1080p DLP HDTVs can match."

Will folks who claim "wobulated 1080P isn't 1080P" ever get a clue?

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hdt...-dlp-hdtv.html
post #220 of 570
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by f300v10 View Post

Has anyone tried to reduce the overscan on their set? I took a look at the HDNet test pattern and it showed 6%-8% overscan on my 62MX916. My HLP Samsung only has 2%-4% on the same pattern.

bslep, do you know if this was something Eliab was able to adjust in the service menu?

I have about 5% overscan (with a DVE pattern) and would like to reduce to 2-3%. Nobody seems to have an answer on this one...
post #221 of 570
Does anyone now what the settings are called to adjust greyscale in the service menu?

And has anyone had any experience with using spyder and radar's or calman's spreadsheet.
post #222 of 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by f300v10 View Post

I just found yet another great review of the HM/MX196 over at Sound and Vision. He really liked the high level of detail, and great black levels. Issues are the usual way to cool color out of the box, and of course rainbows. He also points out the set resolves all lines in a 1080i test pattern.

"Test patterns confirmed that the 62HM196 could resolve every detail of a 1080i signal, a feat few other 1080p DLP HDTVs can match."

Will folks who claim "wobulated 1080P isn't 1080P" ever get a clue?

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hdt...-dlp-hdtv.html

I hooked up a Toshiba SD-6980 through HDMI and ran some 1920x1080 JPEG test patterns for HDTV's on my 62HM116 (62HM196) using the DVD player's HD JPEG output feature. The 1080 resolution chart does indeed fully resolve down to the single pixel level both horizontally and vertically. Mine has 2.5% overscan all the way around, which is what everyone else has reported on these sets.
post #223 of 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by f300v10 View Post

Has anyone tried to reduce the overscan on their set? I took a look at the HDNet test pattern and it showed 6%-8% overscan on my 62MX916. My HLP Samsung only has 2%-4% on the same pattern.

bslep, do you know if this was something Eliab was able to adjust in the service menu?

Last time I checked you can't trust HDNet's overscan pattern. And as far as I know in the service menu you can only shift HPOS and VPOS in the menu.
post #224 of 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaxer07 View Post

Last time I checked you can't trust HDNet's overscan pattern. And as far as I know in the service menu you can only shift HPOS and VPOS in the menu.

Thanks. I will check what I get with DVE as well.
post #225 of 570
For the record, I tried a 62HM196 with Smash Bros. and can confirm that there is a minute amount of lag, even with game mode. If I hadn't played Smash Bros on a standard TV before playing it on the Toshiba, I wouldn't have noticed the lag, but because I had that comparison, there was definitely some there.

Again, though, the lag was very, very minute, even more so with Game Mode turned ON. If you aren't the type to notice lag, or if you don't play timing-based games, you probably won't notice the lag at all. But if you're anal about HDTV lag times, you might want to head to your local Best Buy, or equivalent, and try out this TV before buying it.
post #226 of 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by masamunecyrus View Post

For the record, I tried a 62HM196 with Smash Bros. and can confirm that there is a minute amount of lag, even with game mode. If I hadn't played Smash Bros on a standard TV before playing it on the Toshiba, I wouldn't have noticed the lag, but because I had that comparison, there was definitely some there.

Again, though, the lag was very, very minute, even more so with Game Mode turned ON. If you aren't the type to notice lag, or if you don't play timing-based games, you probably won't notice the lag at all. But if you're anal about HDTV lag times, you might want to head to your local Best Buy, or equivalent, and try out this TV before buying it.

After playing Madden for a month w/ game mode turned off I kept yelling at David Carr for not getting rid of the ball quick enough after I could swear I got it off. So last night I decided to turn game mode on and could swear I was getting rid of the ball quicker, but its so minute that its hard to tell.

It couldn't be David Carr's fault.
post #227 of 570
How much of a price drop? When did they do that? Is it the $2499 price? Just curious. Went to Costco out here in Arizona and it is still $2499.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

I LOVED my Toshiba 62HM116 (same as 196) from Costco (which has had another price drop, and is now a steal including the stand). But I had to return it because Rainbow Effect was driving me crazy. I went with the Sony A-2000, and sure enough it has some color uniformity issues. I can deal with that better than the rainbow effect though. Both sets have great overall PQ, the Toshiba a bit sharper, and more 'processed' looking, and the Sony a bit more 'film like'. If you don't see rainbows, the Toshiba is a great set for the money, and I would heartily recommend it.
post #228 of 570
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by masamunecyrus View Post

For the record, I tried a 62HM196 with Smash Bros. and can confirm that there is a minute amount of lag, even with game mode. If I hadn't played Smash Bros on a standard TV before playing it on the Toshiba, I wouldn't have noticed the lag, but because I had that comparison, there was definitely some there.

Again, though, the lag was very, very minute, even more so with Game Mode turned ON. If you aren't the type to notice lag, or if you don't play timing-based games, you probably won't notice the lag at all. But if you're anal about HDTV lag times, you might want to head to your local Best Buy, or equivalent, and try out this TV before buying it.

Is this at 480i? or 480p?

I've never noticed any lag with my 360...
post #229 of 570
Finally got my 62hm196 few days ago. The HD PQ is great after very sample calibration. The DVD PQ is great by using a sony DVP75H DVD player. The DN SD PQ is nice far beyond my expectation. My view distance is about 9-10ft. My wife and I don't see any RBE,SSE and never feel dizzy at all. Only downside is that the original stand has a beam right in the middle so I can put my center speaker on the stand. I have to put it on top of my set, good luck, my sony speaker is not very big. Other than that the set is perfect. But I have two questions when I am doing the calibration.

1. Does anyone can tell me how to get into service menu to do some indeep calibration and check the bulb life?
2. I understand that better to calibrate every input indivadully because they have different types of input singnal. For DVD input, I have a THX DVD, so it's easy to play with. But for HDTV input and DN SD input, you're not able to use that type of DVD. I'm wondering how can I do the calibration?
3. I don't have a blue glassess for THX calibration. Does anyone know is there any work around to turn the set without this glassess?
post #230 of 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post

I sit about 15' away and sometimes I can hear it in very quiet scenes.

Mee too. I sit about 9-10ft and can hear hum in quiet scenes especially in late night.
post #231 of 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by f300v10 View Post

Has anyone tried to reduce the overscan on their set? I took a look at the HDNet test pattern and it showed 6%-8% overscan on my 62MX916. My HLP Samsung only has 2%-4% on the same pattern.

bslep, do you know if this was something Eliab was able to adjust in the service menu?

Yes, Eliab did adjust the overscan when he calibrated the TV. I didn't ask, though how much of an adjustment was made. Perhaps you can post in the Calibration Displays forum and someone can tell you how to do it.
post #232 of 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhan View Post

Is this at 480i? or 480p?

I've never noticed any lag with my 360...

There is a very minute amount of lag even on 360.
post #233 of 570
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaxer07 View Post

There is a very minute amount of lag even on 360.

Which game can i use to test this?
post #234 of 570
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post

Yes, Eliab did adjust the overscan when he calibrated the TV. I didn't ask, though how much of an adjustment was made. Perhaps you can post in the Calibration Displays forum and someone can tell you how to do it.

Can you tell us what overscan % you have now?
post #235 of 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post

Can anyone comment on whether there is a hum audible from your viewing position?

This would be different from fan noise, but can the fan noise be heard as well from your seat?

Shelly

I had the 46hm95 before the 62mx196 and i dont even hear this fan, while the hm95 would produce a hum.
post #236 of 570
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroblocker View Post

I had the 46hm95 before the 62mx196 and i dont even hear this fan, while the hm95 would produce a hum.

I'd have to ask my wife cause she hears better then I...
post #237 of 570
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by f300v10 View Post

I just found yet another great review of the HM/MX196 over at Sound and Vision. He really liked the high level of detail, and great black levels. Issues are the usual way to cool color out of the box, and of course rainbows. He also points out the set resolves all lines in a 1080i test pattern.

"Test patterns confirmed that the 62HM196 could resolve every detail of a 1080i signal, a feat few other 1080p DLP HDTVs can match."

Will folks who claim "wobulated 1080P isn't 1080P" ever get a clue?

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hdt...-dlp-hdtv.html

Just read the article and agree with the little red push in skin tone and yellowish grass... which is why I'm glad I choose MX with its individual color management menu.

Earlier this week, after looking at aaronwt's DLP and sample pics(calibration by ELIAB!) I realized that the grass in the Shrek II pic was much greener than what I remembered on my set. My grass was more yellowish. Skin tones where also a bit too bright orange/yellow when compared to aaronwt's pics.

A couple of weeks ago I toned down the red push with by entering a -7 for red saturation. Then I tried lowering my overall color setting level to 38 to even the "a bit too bright orange" skin tones but felt it made the other colors appear less saturated than they should have.

Two days ago while lowering the yellow saturation (-15) in the color management menu to bring the grass back to a much more normal greener look I realized that skin tones became just about perfect (for me) without loosing much saturation in other colors. Still I had to crank colors up a little in the 45-50 range but now overall picture looks muuuch better and that makes me happy!

Dhan out.
post #238 of 570
Thread Starter 
From another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

Sony SXRD and LCD RPTV's offer CRT like overscan settings in the service mode. I have not seen this flexibility on any DLP based display outside of physical adjustment of the DMD. All of these only allow the image to be shifted up/down and left/right in the service mode.

This comfirms what I saw in my service menu.
post #239 of 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhan View Post

JTwo days ago while lowering the yellow saturation (-15) in the color management menu to bring the grass back to a much more normal greener look I realized that skin tones became just about perfect (for me) without loosing much saturation in other colors. Still I had to crank colors up a little in the 45-50 range but now overall picture looks muuuch better and that makes me happy!

Dhan out.

I just came back from BB where I spent an hour playing with the 62HM196. If I buy Toshiba, it will be the MX model for sure.

The HM was sandwiched between the Sony 60A2000 and the Sony XDR1. Tey ran the sqame HD loop through all sets, and all sets were on Vivid or Sports mode for the highest contrast.

It was apparent to me that the Toshiba was pushing yellow, not only in the BB logo but in flesh tones. Without any color management, I reduced the tint by -10 to get the flesh tones to look the same as the Sony sets (which had too much red in them due to the Sony's red push, probably.

But aI would hate to have to compensate for inaccurate color tint by using the Tint control so dramatically. I am reassured by your post that lowering the yellow was able to corect the flesh tones as well without compromising the other colors.

My only concern with the Toshiba (again this was the HM with the BB loop feed) was that it had more noise in the picture than the Sony's. Not in every scene on the loop, but in some (and the Sonys also have video noise but as much.) I stood 10' from the screenwhich is my viewing distance at home.

I am hoping that this is just a reflection of the loop being fed and not of the Toshiba inherently or could it be the larger screen size (62 vs 60).

Feedback on the video noise, please?

Thanks.

Shelly
post #240 of 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhan View Post

Can you tell us what overscan % you have now?

How do you check it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › The official Toshiba 62MX196/72MX196 OWNER'S THREAD