I'm curious to see what's really happening....global thermonuclear war, domestic coup?
Yes, the 'cop' from St Louis (guy from Snatch) is an intriguing character...what the heck is he even doing there? Moved there recently, but why?
Things I liked:
1) The answering machine message was chilling
2) When told "I didn't know your parents were even IN Denver", he responds "They weren't....they were in Atlanta" That sent a jolt through me....very well done. Any thoughts of it being a hoax, or an isolated incident went away right there.
3) St Louis cop
4) Dead birds on the road...nasty
1) Skeet...don't know much about him...hard to root for him. He saved the busload of kids, but makes no mention of the 2 people who were killed in the head-on collision (not his fault, but still warrants mentioning).
2) Prioner bus....a bit of contrived drama that removes the Sheriff from the picture and puts some danger out there.
Like I said, I'll give it a few more episodes to see if they can deliver on the chills and information. I hope they learn from Invasion's mistake and gives some answers in a timely manner. Invasion waited WAY too long to hit their stride and it cost them.
Forgot to mention this, but anyone who compares this to the Day After is comparing apples to oranges. That movie was an EVENT...scared the bejeezus out of any kid (I was 12-13 at the time) and adult who watched it. The bleak nuclear winter, the lack of hope were difficult to watch. And at the time it seemed VERY plausible...4-5 nations all had loaded pistols pointed at one another, and any small misunderstanding/conflict had the potential to set it all off.
This series seems like a social experiment 'what if' of how regular americans would react to an emergency like this...