or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Software › Anyone Seen The Adventures of Robin Hood Yet?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone Seen The Adventures of Robin Hood Yet? - Page 2

post #31 of 114
Picking mine up tomorrow along with Dirty Dozen and Grand Prix. I'm excited that we are getting high quality HD of these older films. This bodes well for years and years of enjoyment in the format for me.

Art
post #32 of 114
To quote my wife, "wow"
The colors were amazingly vibrant.
It does look like it was shot last week, not almost 60 years ago.
post #33 of 114
This is my favorite movie, I can't wait to watch it. I usually watch ROBIN HOOD around Thanksgiving(sort of a tradition), but I may break that precedent this year. Hell, I'll at least spot check it!
post #34 of 114
Well, neither Best Buy nor CC had many new releases. Best Buy only had Fear & Loathing, Dazed & Confused, and Land of the Dead. CC had no new releases whatsoever. I have all the discs I want pre-ordered on Amazon, but I just couldn't wait so I pick up Fear and Dazed. I am really pissed they didn't have Robin Hood, though. It's one of my favorite films and I also adore Looney Tunes, so this one was a no brainer for me.

Amazon said their delivery estimate for this disc was tomorrow, but it hasn't even shipped yet. Consider me ticked off.

How do the Looney Tunes look? Has anyone done an A/B test between the HD ones and the SD ones?
post #35 of 114
I did, and it's what you would expect: amazing. As I wrote somewhere above in this post, LT, if WB ever brings the Golden Collections over will be great.
post #36 of 114
So there's a noticeable difference between Looney Tunes in HD vs. SD? Good. Some people I talked to were saying animation would hardly look better in HD.
post #37 of 114
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Picking mine up tomorrow along with Dirty Dozen and Grand Prix. I'm excited that we are getting high quality HD of these older films. This bodes well for years and years of enjoyment in the format for me.

Art

Art,

Seems we have similar tastes. I am waiting on RH and DD from Amazon. Things are looking good for RH.
post #38 of 114
That's ridiculous. If it's shot on film, it can always benefit from a higher resolution. There is obviously limited depth as the beckgrounds sometimes consist of almost solid colors, but fine details and fine grain shine through as they should. LT in HD is a cleaner, clearer presentation that, like RH, take on renewed life if you have realistic expectations. Any Lt nut will treasure these but also hope to see every one get a release in HD!
post #39 of 114
Agreed. Now if only Amazon would frickin' SEND ME MY DISC!
post #40 of 114
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprmallet View Post

Agreed. Now if only Amazon would frickin' SEND ME MY DISC!

Just checked my Amazon account. RH and DD have not shipped yet. I ordered these over a month ago as a preorder.
post #41 of 114
What's weird, though, is that my copy of Robin Hood still has tomorrow as the estimated delivery date (I did next-day air with Amazon prime). I wonder if they sent it but it's taking time for their system to show it (and email me). At least that's what I hope. I may send Amazon an angry email and see if they'll refund my shipping charge.
post #42 of 114
WB needs to get their s*it together in respect to getting the product out there, and on time. BB is the ONLY place that seems to get all the WB discs by street date. Amazon, DVD Empire, and countless others are always behind, and it is just WB. I had my Uni stuff by the weekend and monday at the latest.

I don't know what the problem is, but it is very annoying to pre-order this stuff, to then need to cancel and run out to BB every tues. morning Wb puts discs out.
post #43 of 114
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprmallet View Post

What's weird, though, is that my copy of Robin Hood still has tomorrow as the estimated delivery date (I did next-day air with Amazon prime). I wonder if they sent it but it's taking time for their system to show it (and email me). At least that's what I hope. I may send Amazon an angry email and see if they'll refund my shipping charge.

Same here. 1 day shipping for me. I had the same thought about the lag factor. We should compare notes tomorrow.
post #44 of 114
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphc View Post

WB needs to get their s*it together in respect to getting the product out there, and on time. BB is the ONLY place that seems to get all the WB discs by street date. Amazon, DVD Empire, and countless others are always behind, and it is just WB. I had my Uni stuff by the weekend and monday at the latest.

I don't know what the problem is, but it is very annoying to pre-order this stuff, to then need to cancel and run out to BB every tues. morning Wb puts discs out.

But you do have to give WB credit where credit is due. They have been putting out "acceptable" HD DVDs.
post #45 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbinet View Post

Same here. 1 day shipping for me. I had the same thought about the lag factor. We should compare notes tomorrow.


Will do.
post #46 of 114
An AMAZING DISC with some tremendous extras - some in HD!

The WB cartoons looked FANTASTIC as well.
post #47 of 114
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post

An AMAZING DISC with some tremendous extras - some in HD!

The WB cartoons looked FANTASTIC as well.

Peter,

Just viewed your HT. Can I come over and watch The Adventures of Robin Hood?
post #48 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphc View Post

WB needs to get their s*it together in respect to getting the product out there, and on time. BB is the ONLY place that seems to get all the WB discs by street date.

Here, in Knocksville, BB is usually on time with Universal titles but not Warner, consistently. Accross the street at CC, they always have all the latest Warner titles. CC is occasionally late on Universal's....go figur... The two joints are only a few hundred yards apart. I had to hit 'em both today for the usual reason to get everything I wanted.

Hot dam, did Robin look this good in a theatre back in '37? I wonder! x = Sherwood Forest Squared! The toons were eye poppin' too.... Time for Terminator 3 before a late bedtime....
post #49 of 114
Yep I picked up Robin, Grand Prix, Dirty Dozen, Terminator 2 FF Tokyo today. I'm doing just what I told myself I wouldn't do. Buy a ton of HD-DVD's, it's addicting isn't it?

I figured to just buy premo and new movies, here I go again. Hell I almost bought Dukes of Hazard again. I'm over 20 now. With 1500 or more DVD's, hopeless

I really want Lord of the Rings and the Matrix.

Dirty Dozen looked nice and clean, haven't viewed the others yet.
post #50 of 114
I cancelled my Amazon order and picked up Robin Hood and T3 at Worst Buy. It was worth the extra cash.

I love Adventures of Robin Hood and I thought the SD-DVD transfer was impressive enough, but the HD-DVD is plain sick. There's a lot of grain and a few specs here and there, but I think that adds to the charm. It really does look like it was shot yesterday. And WB managed to port over all the extras(even the bonus Errol Flynn trailers) and they squeezed it all onto one disc.

Now bring on 2001 and Ben-Hur.
post #51 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_ME View Post

Now bring on 2001 and Ben-Hur.

Agreed! I was hugely impressed with The Searchers and RH was just as good if not better. I'm looking forward to more of these classics in HD!
post #52 of 114
I watched it tonight, absolutely incredible plus a flipin ton of extras.
post #53 of 114
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphc View Post

Of course the detail is better, I just didn't mention because it's a given that that's the case. Depth, color reproduction, blacks, and yes, detail is vastly superior to the DVD. Again though, i haven't had time to watch the whole thing, just flipped through.

trust me, fans of this film will have a milky cream running down their leg, it's that good.



Are you saying we should have an ample supply of tissues nearby?
post #54 of 114
That or have a spare condom ready!
post #55 of 114
You guys are funny regarding this premature ejaculation thing or is that even the proper expression.

This is an exciting time for folks who have looked for years to be able to rival good film presentations in our homes.

Art
post #56 of 114
I watched a few minutes of this last night, friggin' amazing! Olivia DeHaviland has never looked more beautiful. Also watched "Rabbit Hood". Looney Tunes in HD...
post #57 of 114
There are so many great movies I'd like to see released on HD DVD with such amazing qualities.
But the one title I am dying for is Scaramouche!
post #58 of 114
After reading the reviews here, I cancelled my Amazon "Robin Hood" order and picked it up at Best Buy. Wow! Fantastic presentation, Looney Tunes also in HD, and of course, the fantastic group of extras from the SD DVD edition. All for less than $22!

Anyone else here remember plunking down $100 for the Criterion laserdisc edition?

Great times to be a movie collector...
post #59 of 114
I did.

Sold it at E-Bay for $30.00
post #60 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ View Post

Anyone else here remember plunking down $100 for the Criterion laserdisc edition?

Yikes. Yes, sure do. Still have it too, since it has some exclusive extras.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HD DVD Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Software › Anyone Seen The Adventures of Robin Hood Yet?