or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › Wanna fix the Pioneer DVR-640H-S Timer Event Title Name Issue?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wanna fix the Pioneer DVR-640H-S Timer Event Title Name Issue? - Page 2

post #31 of 514
Has Pioneer ever released firmware upgrades for its set top DVD recorders?
There must have been half a dozen for my old Philips DVDR-75.
post #32 of 514
Philips and Yamaha are notorious for firmware updates (it can be a good or a bad thing... mostly bad), Pioneer... well, I've never witnessed it... not even once.
post #33 of 514
Thread Starter 
Here's a link to Pioneer Canada's main support page at the bottom of which are a few links regarding firmware updates. One for a 310 upgrade, and one which outlines the firmware warranty policy for their optical drives. Maybe this is a good sign.

I believe the only way to get it to happen is to keep on them, but it doesn't seem like enough people are willing to take the time.
post #34 of 514
Thread Starter 
Still no sign of a fix. I guess there aren't enough requests being received by Pioneer.

I'm curious, are all you new 640 users out there just content to live with it, or just can't find the time? (Or perhaps have some of you contacted Pioneer but didn't post here about it?)
post #35 of 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACPewty View Post

Still no sign of a fix. I guess there aren't enough requests being received by Pioneer.

I'm curious, are all you new 640 users out there just content to live with it, or just can't find the time? (Or perhaps have some of you contacted Pioneer but didn't post here about it?)

Good guilt trip! You've done this before. :-) Anyway, I phoned them today also regarding this issue. The rep reiterated that they were aware of it and that the problem hasn't been fixed. He was *pretty* unfriendly, probably due to the fact that he was sick of people phoning about it. So maybe if enough Pioneer reps complain to their bosses that they're tired of getting the same complaint over and over again, Pioneer might do something about it.

The Hans
post #36 of 514
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHans View Post

Good guilt trip! You've done this before. :-)

Yup, I believe persistence is the key, and I can be a pretty squeaky wheel when I wanna be.

Thanks for calling! That's the idea, I hope they get as sick of hearing about it as I am of the unnecessary tedium of entering titles for my timer recordings. If that happens, I think we'll get a fix.
post #37 of 514
I've called... three times so far. Suffice to say that they don't like me anymore.
post #38 of 514
i also called pioneer canada and she took my name and numberand said she will call if there is a update...she said japan is working on it? maybe?
post #39 of 514
Thread Starter 
Thanks for calling guys.

Does anyone else think David should protest by camping out on Pioneer's lawn? I believe he only lives a few blocks away and could go home at night and Pioneer would be none the wiser. Think of how fast we would get a fix with the media coverage that would ensue. Come on David...how about it?
post #40 of 514
please go for it david..............
post #41 of 514
okay fine, I'll start picketing tomorrow! I can just walk home during lunch and I'll come back right after
post #42 of 514
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

okay fine, I'll start picketing tomorrow! I can just walk home during lunch and I'll come back right after

Do you think if you make up picketing signs that just say the date, time and speed you're walking the picket line, they'll get the message? (Sure would get the commuters on the 404 wondering.)

Go David Go...Go David Go...
post #43 of 514
Okay, for sure tomorrow I'll go there in person and ask for an update. I promise. No joke.
post #44 of 514
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Okay, for sure tomorrow I'll go there in person and ask for an update. I promise. No joke.

Wow, that's great. I was kidding around but in fact there's nothing as effective as being there in the flesh so they have to deal with the customer face-to-face. If you're really going, maybe we should try to synchronize an attack...you're there and we're calling about the same issue at the same time...hard to ignore. I'm going to call again tomorrow.
post #45 of 514
anybody reading this thread, kindly call them today. I'm going to go to their service department this morning.
post #46 of 514
Thread Starter 
I just got off the phone with a busy (and maybe frustrated sounding) CSR at Pioneer Canada. He said they have no new info at this time. They have "sent an email to Japan but but there has not been a response back with a solution yet."
post #47 of 514
I went there and greeted with frustrated looking service technician. I got the same response as ACPewty. I can understand his frustration, however, I saw literally a skidful for 640 to be repaired. He won't divulge what the problems are with those machines, however.
post #48 of 514
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

I can understand his frustration, however, I saw literally a skidful for 640 to be repaired. He won't divulge what the problems are with those machines, however.

Are you sure they were to be repaired? Could be stock for exchanges...If they were for repair, I guess a skidful is not unreasonable considering the thousands of units that are out there, and that often complicated equipment like DVDRs get returned with nothing wrong with them other that the buyer wasn't up to the task.

Thanks for going David! Same time tomorrow?
post #49 of 514
definitely not stock exchange because I see RMA stickers from A/V 2001. Makes me a tad worried.
post #50 of 514
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

definitely not stock exchange because I see RMA stickers from A/V 2001. Makes me a tad worried.

All of them from A/V 2001?
post #51 of 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACPewty View Post

All of them from A/V 2001?

yup
post #52 of 514
I've been waiting from a response from engineering in Japan for over a year on how to fix the EPG in my 531 recorder.

Based on my experience, if you plan to camp out in front of Pioneer, you might consider buying an RV. You're going to be there awhile.

If you check Pioneer's track record on making updates, you'll find that they have lost several class action law suits due to their dvd related equipment not reading all standard formats.

They have decided that paying a judgement is preferable to either fixing the problem with the affected units or exchanging them for redesigned ones that work.

Not a good sign of a company that stands behind their products.
post #53 of 514
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

yup

That actually makes me feel better. It could be a bad batch that was shipped to them, but it could also be any number of administrative issues, overshipments, erroneous orders etc and not necessarily problems with the units themselves. Since we don't really know why they are there and I have 2 640s that work very reliably now, I prefer to remain positive and hope someone screwed up an order or something.
post #54 of 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

I've been waiting from a response from engineering in Japan for over a year on how to fix the EPG in my 531 recorder...

Are you referring to problems with the loading of the TVGuide?

Have you telephoned Pioneer technical support and gotten a case number? If, "Yes," keep calling when the problem restarts and insist the call be logged.

The TVGuide was driving me nuts. A few times I had to reset things via the entry of a series of numbers given to me by someone at Pioneer (while I was with them on the phone). Now, I am awaiting the arrival of a 640, being sent to me by Pioneer after their receipt of my (aggravating) 531.

I did not ask Pioneer to do this. They offered. Right or wrong, I think they must have gotten sick and tired of my calls about the TVGuide problems I experienced.
post #55 of 514
I called customer service yesterday and was told they are just keeping track of the number of complaints and was assured it doesn't affect the operation of the unit.

It didn't sound like they were exactly pursuing this aggressively.
post #56 of 514
I wouldn't hold my breath for a fix for that problem, not from a company that wouldn't even fix the serious TV Guide problems in the DVR-633H. They took the cowards way out on that one by turning into surrender monkeys and abandoning the TVG-OS system with the newer models instead of showing some initiative and actually fixing the problem. It seems to me Pioneer doesn't know the meaning of "customer service" and probably doesn't even know HOW to ship a firmware update for their own products. Probably because they just don't care.
post #57 of 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil400 View Post

I wouldn't hold my breath for a fix for that problem, not from a company that wouldn't even fix the serious TV Guide problems in the DVR-633H. They took the cowards way out on that one by turning into surrender monkeys and abandoning the TVG-OS system with the newer models instead of showing some initiative and actually fixing the problem. It seems to me Pioneer doesn't know the meaning of "customer service" and probably doesn't even know HOW to ship a firmware update for their own products. Probably because they just don't care.

The TVGOS problem was/is a hardware incompatibility issue, not a software one.

Offering 640s showed superior customer service to me. Heck, Pioneer even exchanged 531s, 80GB units, for 640s. I was one of the 531 people, and they didn't even ask for me to send in the receipt for the exchange.

If there is a company that deserves to be beaten up over their customer service concerning a problem, it's JVC for their loading bug problem. You haven't been here very long, but there are MANY people here that will probably never buy a JVC product after experiencing or following the sagas of others with that problem--which was never really fixed and for which JVC never offered replacement machines.
post #58 of 514
replacing my 14 months old 633 with a 640, on the spot without question, is pretty good customer service in my book. That's why I've been a Pioneer lover for the past 10+ years.
post #59 of 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngohit View Post

The TVGOS problem was/is a hardware incompatibility issue, not a software one.


HUH??? That's news to me. How could there be a hardware problem -- all it has to do is grab bits from a broadcast signal. Either the bits are there or they're not.

It's a moot point since I no longer have a 633, but could you say more about this hardware problem?
post #60 of 514
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreStan View Post

HUH??? That's news to me. How could there be a hardware problem -- all it has to do is grab bits from a broadcast signal. Either the bits are there or they're not.

It's a moot point since I no longer have a 633, but could you say more about this hardware problem?

Apparently Gemstar licensed manufacturers with a chip that has to be incorporated into the circuit of DVDRs, TVs etc. For the 2005 models, there is supposed to have been an incompatibility between Pioneer's circuitry and the Gemstar chip that made a fix via firmware update impossible, which is why Pioneer could only offer to replace those models and not offer a fix. (Couldn't be fixed with software.)

As someone who got a free exchange of a 633 for a 640 model, I agree that it is pretty good customer service on Pioneer's part, even if it were possible to fix the TVGOS problems via a firmware update.

BTW, on Pioneer' Canada's main support page there are references (at the bottom) to firmware "upgrades" for other models, so apparently it can happen.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD Recorders (Standard Def)
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › Wanna fix the Pioneer DVR-640H-S Timer Event Title Name Issue?