or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › Samsung DTB-H260F ATSC tuner
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung DTB-H260F ATSC tuner - Page 117

post #3481 of 3649
Hello,

I have a few questions, if y'all don't mind.

1) Will this box pass the audio over HDMI as well, or just video?
2) Will this box output over HDMI and component at the same time, so I can watch the same channel on two different displays simultaneously?
3) Is it possible to control this box in any fashion without the remote? From pictures it appears that changing channels and such must be done by the remote. Just wanted to make sure.
4) I assume I can program a universal remote to control this tuner

Thanks for any help!
post #3482 of 3649
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker View Post

Hello,

I have a few questions, if y'all don't mind.

1) Will this box pass the audio over HDMI as well, or just video?
2) Will this box output over HDMI and component at the same time, so I can watch the same channel on two different displays simultaneously?
3) Is it possible to control this box in any fashion without the remote? From pictures it appears that changing channels and such must be done by the remote. Just wanted to make sure.
4) I assume I can program a universal remote to control this tuner

Thanks for any help!

1. yes - in DD or PCM
2. no - one or the other. However, the SD outputs are active with either set of HD outputs. On the flip side - you MUST use the HD outputs to see the menues, etc.
3. no. no remote = no way to control it. All you have is an on/off button on the front.
4. Haven't tried - I would assume it's probably possible.
post #3483 of 3649
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker View Post

4) I assume I can program a universal remote to control this tuner

Thanks for any help!

Depends on the remote, but any good one should work with it. If you're using some Dollar Tree remote, I don't know....but if you've got a Harmony or something, it should be pretty easy to set up.
post #3484 of 3649
Any learning capable Universal IR remote should work fine with it, but I'd bet very few have the codes for this box.
I use a Yamaha AVR remote to control the H260f and it works flawlessly.
But I did have to use the "learn" function where each button must be programmed separately, but I actually prefer this method anyway.
post #3485 of 3649
Thread Starter 
The DTB-H260F is in the Harmony database. I've used my Harmony with it for a few years. I don't remember whether I had to "teach" the Harmony a few of the buttons, which I often have to do because many devices in the Harmony database have a few missing or incorrect buttons.
post #3486 of 3649
I'm using a Sony programmable universal remote RM-VL600 to control the DTB-H260F as well as my older Sony TV. It's been a really great remote, much better than what Samsung included with the STB. The buttons are big and easy to press.
post #3487 of 3649
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWhiskers View Post

I'm using a Sony programmable universal remote RM-VL600 to control the DTB-H260F as well as my older Sony TV. It's been a really great remote, much better than what Samsung included with the STB. The buttons are big and easy to press.

I use the same remote. The only drawback, and it might just be mine, is that when I press the "guide" button, it seems I have to be pointing directly at the unit, and even the sometimes it doesn't work. I usually just avoid the battle and access the guide through the menu. The good feature with this remote is the macros - you can set it up to access the signal strength with a single keystroke.
post #3488 of 3649
I have owner the DTB-H260F for almost 3 years now and it works like a charm. Not the most senstive or quickest boxes out there, but the picture and durability has impressed me. Wish I hadn't splurged on the $35 5-year Circuit City extended warranty. Anyway, this box is still the best picture qualtiy of any digital converter box currently, especially considering 3 years has passed. Remember 3 years ago a plasma HDTVs was in the $3k price range and some didn't even have tuners in them. HDTVs have come a long way.
post #3489 of 3649
Sounds good armand1. I've had my DTB-H260F for 11 months now and I feel the same way you do. It saves me a lot of money from not paying a cable bill.
post #3490 of 3649
What's the model number of Samsung Terrestrial NIM Tuner, used in DTB-H260F? Is there a link to this device and current line-up of Samsung NIMs on Samsung Electro-Mechanics site?
post #3491 of 3649
My Samsung DTB-H260F died. The blue power light stays on for about 10 seconds then goes out. Any idea how much it will cost to repair? Looks like replacement price is under $100 used, $191 new.
post #3492 of 3649
Does anyone know how to add a QAM channel if the auto-scan isn't finding any of them on the main number?

I'm trying to add 82-3, which works with my USB tuner in Windows 7, but the box isn't seeing it in auto-scan. Once I punch the 8, 2, and - keys on the remote, the box instantly goes back to the closest channel (80.something). Am I completely screwed out of receiving this channel?
post #3493 of 3649
Does anyone know how to add a QAM channel if the auto-scan isn't finding any of them on the main number?

I'm trying to add 82-3, which works with my USB tuner in Windows 7, but the box isn't seeing it in auto-scan. Once I punch the 8, 2, and - keys on the remote, the box instantly goes back to the closest channel (80.something). Am I completely screwed out of receiving this channel?
post #3494 of 3649
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitweasel View Post

Does anyone know how to add a QAM channel if the auto-scan isn't finding any of them on the main number?

I'm trying to add 82-3, which works with my USB tuner in Windows 7, but the box isn't seeing it in auto-scan. Once I punch the 8, 2, and - keys on the remote, the box instantly goes back to the closest channel (80.something). Am I completely screwed out of receiving this channel?

I know this trick works for OTA, not sure about QAM.
Do you know what the "physical channel" is that you are trying to tune in? 82.3 may be just the virtual channel. When you choose 82.3, the tuner will first check for a signal, if nothing there, it will default back to the nearest as you described. The only way I've found to note the physical channel with this box was to be quick and note the channels that turned orange while a scan was being made.
Hope this helps.
post #3495 of 3649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post

I know this trick works for OTA, not sure about QAM.
Do you know what the "physical channel" is that you are trying to tune in? 82.3 may be just the virtual channel. When you choose 82.3, the tuner will first check for a signal, if nothing there, it will default back to the nearest as you described. The only way I've found to note the physical channel with this box was to be quick and note the channels that turned orange while a scan was being made.
Hope this helps.

82-3 is the physical channel. On OTA, or properly displayed QAM, it would be 21-1, but it isn't being broadcast with that mask. Like I said, it comes right in over a QAM USB tuner in Windows 7, but this box just will not pick it up. I've tried all three different kinds of cable scans, and none of them pick up a single channel in the 82 range - even though it does blink orange when it hits the number. After scanning, my main channel manager list still doesn't show a single 82 channel.
post #3496 of 3649
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitweasel View Post

82-3 is the physical channel. On OTA, or properly displayed QAM, it would be 21-1, but it isn't being broadcast with that mask. Like I said, it comes right in over a QAM USB tuner in Windows 7, but this box just will not pick it up. I've tried all three different kinds of cable scans, and none of them pick up a single channel in the 82 range - even though it does blink orange when it hits the number. After scanning, my main channel manager list still doesn't show a single 82 channel.

Have you eliminated location as a cause? Have you tried the Samsung using the same cable as the USB and vice-versa? If not, it's possible you have a bad cable somewhere.
post #3497 of 3649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post

Have you eliminated location as a cause? Have you tried the Samsung using the same cable as the USB and vice-versa? If not, it's possible you have a bad cable somewhere.

...or too many splits
post #3498 of 3649
Yes - location and too many splits have both been eliminated. Tried the cable and connection I was using for Media Center - no luck. Bypassed the splitter altogether and went direct - no luck.

When scanning channels, 82 (as well as 83) both blink orange. However, not a single channel from either one of those numbers appears in the channel manager after scanning.

Is there a way to reset this box and completely wipe out the list of found/memorized channels? I know you can add/erase from favorites, but I want to wipe the list out altogether. Is that possible?
post #3499 of 3649
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitweasel View Post

Is there a way to reset this box and completely wipe out the list of found/memorized channels?

Disconnect the antenna or cable from the RF input and do a channel scan. Then re-connect and do another scan to get the new list.
post #3500 of 3649
Quote:
Originally Posted by pschrube View Post

My Samsung DTB-H260F died. The blue power light stays on for about 10 seconds then goes out. Any idea how much it will cost to repair? Looks like replacement price is under $100 used, $191 new.

woow.same thing happen to my tuner tonight.discounted the tuner from the back ,and reconnected it few hours later .I hope some one have a solution for this
post #3501 of 3649
Mine just died. Looks like the power supply, but its not the fuse. Switcher circuit seems to have stopped switching.

For the most part it did it's job. Picture was always good. But it always had issues where it would forget channels especially if changing channels quickly. It's like the channel memory would get corrupt and it would then randomly jump around channels (like 8-10-45-15), or add/delete channels that weren't previously.. It was really weird. Not to mention the fact that you had to scan both cable and air in order for it to find any air stations. Never understood that.

So mine is dead. Reading on Amazon, I'm not the only one with this exact problem so I'm very inclined not to replace it with the same model.

Any other recommendations for an OTA tuner?

[edit] Nevermind, I searched and fond the HDTV STB Synopsis
post #3502 of 3649
turbo2ltr,

do u recommend any tuner ?
post #3503 of 3649
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2ltr View Post

Mine just died. Looks like the power supply, but its not the fuse. Switcher circuit seems to have stopped switching.


Check the capacitors on the power supply to see if any are bulged. If you find one or more bulged caps, refer to this link for the fix:

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7804
post #3504 of 3649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike`L View Post

Check the capacitors on the power supply to see if any are bulged. If you find one or more bulged caps, refer to this link for the fix:

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7804

dude thanx for the link.I bought the extended warranty with the tuner,if that doesn't work/they don't honer the warranty i will give it a try
post #3505 of 3649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike`L View Post

Check the capacitors on the power supply to see if any are bulged. If you find one or more bulged caps, refer to this link for the fix:

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7804



UPDATE,


Thanks mike for the link again.I replaced 2 caps and the tuner is back to life. that saved me a lot of money.I'm sure this will be helpful for a lot of members with the same issue
post #3506 of 3649
I have the Samsung DTB-H260F and it is working good. I was thnking of getting another ota tuner that was 1080i. I am deep deep fringe so sensitivity i need. Has anyone tried the sensitivity of the h260f vs Centronics(Digiwave 5000HD) or the Dtvpal dvr? I have no dvr at this time.

I know it isn't that many 1080 tuners to choose from but it would be good to have one very sensitive with more than one antenna input. I wish they made some with two inputs, sensitive and while wishing, a nice menu and guide in one box.
post #3507 of 3649
I will keep using my Samsung but i am going to have another antenna or two up on the tower and wanted to get another tuner for that antenna.
post #3508 of 3649
anyone here in South Jersey [near Voorhees, Cherry Hill]? i'm looking to unload my Samsung H260F. It's listed on craigslist right now. i don't want to ebay itdue to fees and shipping and would just like to deal personally. PM me if interested.

thanks.
post #3509 of 3649
Hi,

Finally got one of these the other day. I've needed one of these for a long time as I have been using projectors without tuners.

My local Best Buy had one on the shelf and it was open box so it was marked down from $179 to $169 but it never went lower.

A few days ago I asked them if they had the remote, box or manual and they couldn't find anything. So, I asked what the current price was and after a quick check with the manager they offered it for $50!!

Anyways... I'm loving it. I wish there was more stuff on TV that interests me but this gizmo gets a nice ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, and 2 different PBS stations.

-Brian
post #3510 of 3649
Quote:


Anyways... I'm loving it. I wish there was more stuff on TV that interests me but this gizmo gets a nice ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, and 2 different PBS stations.

I feel the same way. Mine lets me watch some sports and a few things on TV in nice HD. I spend my money on DVDs that interest me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Technical
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › Samsung DTB-H260F ATSC tuner