or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Official Sony XBR2 (60" & 70") Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony XBR2 (60" & 70") Owner's Thread

post #1 of 12044
Thread Starter 
Ok I started this before without having the set, but I now have a 70XBR2.

Initial impressions, brighter than XBR1 sets (I own a 50XBR1) very clean picture, low noise. The most adjustments on a TV I have ever seen.

Here are the pics :

Set with speakers and extra bulb





Set without speakers and end caps

post #2 of 12044
Thread Starter 
Set with without speakers with endcaps.





Here is something you might have not seen, the fact that there is clear plastic that has the power, lamp and timer lights.......ala.......Sony XBR plasmas.

post #3 of 12044
Thread Starter 
Here is my final setup......before wire cleanup.....of course !


post #4 of 12044
are you using some kind of clip on stand for you center channel?
post #5 of 12044
Thread Starter 
I am using the Omnimount CCH1 and what ever hardware comes with it.


As I am dialing my settings in......and believe me ther are tons, I see there is a 3 D effect with this set that doesn't exist with any other, except the Qualia 006. I have not seen the Mitsu 831 sets but, I have the 73732 and imho it can't compete in the dimensionality.
post #6 of 12044
how does the SSE (Silk screen effect) compare to the XBR1?
post #7 of 12044
WooHoo!

Congratulations and best wishes for a glob, blob and haze-free experience. Looks great without those side speakers, too.

Your willingness to keep us posted as you become more familiar with the set is very much appreciated.
post #8 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post

I am using the Omnimount CCH1 and what ever hardware comes with it.


As I am dialing my settings in......and believe me ther are tons, I see there is a 3 D effect with this set that doesn't exist with any other, except the Qualia 006. I have not seen the Mitsu 831 sets but, I have the 73732 and imho it can't compete in the dimensionality.

That is exactly what I need..Thanx!
post #9 of 12044
I am mostly interested in seeing how this set compares to the A2000's. Right now I am contemplating getting a 60" A2000 or XBR2.
post #10 of 12044
Thread Starter 
Let me list the settings that are on the XBR2:

Picture Mode
Advanced Iris
Picture
Brightness
Color
Hue
Color Temp
Sharpness
Noise Reduction
DRC Mode
DRC Palette


Advanced Settings:

Reset(all settings)
Black Corrector
Gamma
Clear White
Live Color
White Balance
Detail Enhancer
Edge Enhancer


Whew.... quite a lot to go through !
post #11 of 12044
Mix,

First, congratulations, and thanks for posting all this! Hopefully I'll have mine in this week.

If you get a chance, could you please measure from the set's base to the bottom of the screen? I need to figure how how tall a stand/platform I need under the set to line up with my cabinet. Thanks again!

eric
post #12 of 12044
Nice setup! Looks good with the black stand and speakers.
post #13 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post

Set with without speakers with endcaps.





Here is something you might have not seen, the fact that there is clear plastic that has the power, lamp and timer lights.......ala.......Sony XBR plasmas.


what are those 4 input looking things to the left of the floating lights?
post #14 of 12044
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV5.1 View Post

what are those 4 input looking things to the left of the floating lights?


Control buttons.
post #15 of 12044
Congrats MixDoctor! Thanks for the pics and keep them coming!
post #16 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvac View Post

how does the SSE (Silk screen effect) compare to the XBR1?

That's my question as well.

The other thing I'd like to know about is how the black level compares to the XBR1 and A2000.
post #17 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post

Let me list the settings that are on the XBR2:

Picture Mode
Advanced Iris
Picture
Brightness
Color
Hue
Color Temp
Sharpness
Noise Reduction
DRC Mode
DRC Palette


Advanced Settings:

Reset(all settings)
Black Corrector
Gamma
Clear White
Live Color
White Balance
Detail Enhancer
Edge Enhancer


Whew.... quite a lot to go through !


Mixdoctor (or any other new XBR2 owner who can take some of the pressure off MD):


A near-universal complaint with big screen microdisplay technology has been the relatively inferior quality of SD signals.

Your new 70XBR2 now has a dedicated mode for enhancing SD: "DRC Mode 2." Would you please experiment with this and give us your opinion? The function is described on or about P:50 in your manual.

Additionally, your new 70XBR2 now allows "DRC Palette" functionality for 480p and 720p signal sources, another thing the XBR1's couldn't do. Again, on or about P:50 in the manual. Would appreciate your checking this out too when possible.

Actually, any commentary you can provide relating to the new DRC2.5 processing would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
post #18 of 12044
Mixdoctor,

Great Inputs on your new XBR2.
Could you look again at the base and see if it is not actually floating a bit above your table's glass surface. To do this slide a piece of 8x10 paper under the front and sweep it across the entire front. When I did this to the a2000 and my XBR1 I found the base is actually sitting on recessed and hidden feet.

Thanks
KT
post #19 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuTal63 View Post

Mixdoctor (or any other new XBR2 owner who can take some of the pressure off MD):


A near-universal complaint with big screen microdisplay technology has been the relatively inferior quality of SD signals.

Your new 70XBR2 now has a dedicated mode for enhancing SD: "DRC Mode 2." Would you please experiment with this and give us your opinion? The function is described on or about P:50 in your manual.

Additionally, your new 70XBR2 now allows "DRC Palette" functionality for 480p and 720p signal sources, another thing the XBR1's couldn't do. Again, on or about P:50 in the manual. Would appreciate your checking this out too when possible.

Actually, any commentary you can provide relating to the new DRC2.5 processing would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

I too feel the new v2.5 DRC should be of significant help with Standard Definition TV and 480i DVD sources.

So. .Mixdoctor.. Mr Foo ..and any other new owners. Here is my take on how the new DRC is intended to work.
I hope this additional explanation of the new DRC may be of some help.


DRC: The XBR2 is different from the earlier XBR1 and a2000. There are 2 modes available with their own Matrix adjustments. The trick here is to use these controls the way Sony intended when they designed V2.5 DRC. Based on limited tests on a new XBR2 LCD set quipped with the V2.5 chip I suggest the following:

For HD shows from Component or HDMI inputs (including for the first time 720P as well as 1080i) use Mode 1. Do not use Mode 2--it has filters that will degrade the high frequency response to something more suitable for DVDs (about 5-6 mHz).
DRC Palette: For high Quality HD shows like Conan O'brion or SNL or for HD DVD disks I suggest using about 50/1, or 75/1 (50 Reality and 1 Clarity). If the show is noisy or poorer in quality to those mentioned try setting the DRC palette to 1/1 (off)

For DVD 480i sources scaled within the player to 1080i and fed into the set via the HDMI connection use Mode 2. Note that this mode is only available when the input format is 1080i. This new -specially designed mode should reduce the presence of spurious noise and the sharpness behavior of the DRC matrix should be more suited to DVDs. DRC Palette: You will have to experiment with this- and it will be program or DVD movie dependent

For Standard Definition shows scaled from 480i to 1080i and fed to the set via HDMI at 1080i (or for SD programs with the internal tuner) -set the DRC to mode 2. DRC palette; Again, experiment with each source.

If you must use a DVD player with only component 480i or 480p output -use Mode 1. Mode 2 is apparently not available.

Hope this helps a little. As with others, I am looking foreword to your tryout comments on the new DRC with DVDs and SD sources.

KT
post #20 of 12044
DaYam, MD... I love that TV.
Are you worried about the mount causing preasure on the rear cabinet and causing warping? Just curious. And this post will allow me to subscribe to the thread......
post #21 of 12044
Thanks Mixdoctor. Your stand is not the designated Sony unit I see. Can you tell us the location of the TV inputs i.e. distance from the left or right edge of the cabinet and distance from the bottom of the TV. Some of us need to calculate what cable lengths are needed. My 70 XBR2 arrives next week. Appreciate your help and pics.
post #22 of 12044
BTW: Where in the hell are you MR. Foo...... I wanna see that TV... Did ya get it? Alabama is losing to FL right now so you getting this TV and me seein' more pics is all I got to look forward to this afternoon.....
post #23 of 12044
Thanks Mixdoctor for the photos. Looks really nice with the speakers off (darn I wish I had room for a 70" set instead of a 60"!)
post #24 of 12044
Thread Starter 
OK DRC lots of adjustmests besided the two modes.

DRC mode 1 is the smoother of the two

DRC mode 2 seems to add edge enhancement qualities, not feeling it yet.

I am using Mode 1 for both SD and HD.

HD was easier to dial in. SD is prooving a bit more difficult. Right now I am using my Pioneer VSX-82 as the video switcher. Later tonight I will take it out of the loop and hook up each component into a different input. I have my cable box (SA8300HD) and Toshiba HD DVD. That way I can put each into a different input and have different settings for each.
post #25 of 12044
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTTV Images View Post

Mixdoctor,

Great Inputs on your new XBR2.
Could you look again at the base and see if it is not actually floating a bit above your table's glass surface. To do this slide a piece of 8x10 paper under the front and sweep it across the entire front. When I did this to the a2000 and my XBR1 I found the base is actually sitting on recessed and hidden feet.

Thanks
KT


The TV base is dead flush with the stand.........I looked under the glass.
post #26 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximum360 View Post

That's my question as well. (SILK-SCREEN EFFECT )

The other thing I'd like to know about is how the black level compares to the XBR1 and A2000.

Yes, these are the two biggest concerns out there for most potential-purchasers.
Comments, please.
post #27 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post

OK DRC lots of adjustmests besided the two modes.

DRC mode 1 is the smoother of the two

DRC mode 2 seems to add edge enhancement qualities, not feeling it yet.

I am using Mode 1 for both SD and HD.

HD was easier to dial in. SD is prooving a bit more difficult. Right now I am using my Pioneer VSX-82 as the video switcher. Later tonight I will take it out of the loop and hook up each component into a different input. I have my cable box (SA8300HD) and Toshiba HD DVD. That way I can put each into a different input and have different settings for each.

Suggestion:
Use Toshiba HD DVD player for playing standard DVDs.
Connect player to XBR2 with HDMI.
Set the player to output 1080i.
Select the Toshiba input -the set will display briefly 1080i. Select DRC mode 2 and then go to the DRC Palette and try adjusting the the ball to 50/1. This mode may add some edge enhancement because it is designed for SD signals. Don't overdo it (bring it down closer to 1/1). You can further change the edge enhancement with the Sharpness control. Hopefully you will see high quality DVC playback if your disk is good to begin with.

KT
post #28 of 12044
Thread Starter 
Thanks KTTV.

As far as SSE goes. Very little SSE, for rear projection, but I have to admit not being that SSE sensitive. SDE on the other hand.........

I'll do more tweaking and give more evaluations later.


One more thing for people who are on the fence as to whether this set is for them or not..........This is an SXRD set if you couldn't stand this type of set before the XBR2 will probably not change your mind. If you just wanted a little more refinement and flexability then this might be what you've been waiting for. Since I already own an SXRD 1, this set is exactly what I was looking for. Only two things I have to work on .....1)the black levels. I am trying to dial in a low black level while keeping a high contrast ratio and decent bright levels for daytime viewing and no, the wife isn't going to want to switch video modes according to daytime or nighttime. 2)When off axis (The off axis viewing is great by the way) I see a little misconvergence. I'll use Avia and get it set up and see if this continues.
post #29 of 12044
Mixdoctor, if I understand you correctly, sounds like so far the XBR2 is really not much of a step up in overall picture quality from the XBR1? Any impression in how it compares in picture (sd and hd) to an A2000 (60")?
post #30 of 12044
Mixdoctor--

What set(s) have you had previously, other than the XBR1? It'd be nice to hear comparisons to other display technologies like RP CRT.

I'm moving from a Pioneer Elite 510HD, so I might be a bit spoiled when it comes to PQ and convergence. I hope the XBR2 comes close. (At least its deinterlacer won't have the annoying bug in the red channel.)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Official Sony XBR2 (60" & 70") Owner's Thread