Originally Posted by pwiss
I had Jeff come over last night to calibrate my 60XBR2. I thought the set looked very good, but I had a previous TV calibrated and know how great the benefit can be. I decided to have the CNET settings on the TV to see how much improvement could be obtained. Jeff's initial response was that the set looked good, but was way too dim. He measured it at 14ftl. He said that was killing contrast ratio ,which is one thing this set does very well. He proceeded to go into the service menu and made his adjustments. I could not believe how much better this TV is afterward! We turned to the Lakers/Bulls game on ESPN HD. I usually don't like ESPN HD's coverage of Football or Basketball but my jaw dropped when I saw the Staples Center. The picture looked tremendous. Night and day tremendous.We looked at some other programming and some DVD material like Toy Story ,which by the way, I have never seen look better.
Some things that Jeff did that drastically improved my set were:
- Fixed my blacks. They were way too blue and as a result not as dark as they should be. Huge improvement here.
- Increased contrast ratio. On his measurements, which are lower because of instrument limitations, we went from approx 1K to over 5K!. He did this AND kept it in the Min iris setting. Which I can change for daytime if needed.
- Decreased overall noise. The noise I see now is source related for the most part. As Jeff said: "The TV is not the limiting factor in the picture"
- Fine tuned the colors. Warm 2 is ballpark, but now they are accurate and have more pop without appearing oversaturated. Skin tones are much better.
- Increased shadow detail by optimizing gamma and black level.
I really enjoyed the conversation we had while he did his thing. He is very professional and also very knowledgable. I had a list of questions and he answered them all and then some. It is great having the forum to gather info, but Jeff is the one source I trust for accurate unbiased info.
Jeff also did a quick audio calibration which improved my setup. The lack of configurations in my HK recevier was a limiting factor, but I noticed some definite improvement here also.
I would highly recommend to get your set calibrated by Jeff. Personally, I factored in the cost of the calibration when I bought the set by getting a great deal on the set. The money spent was worth it. I have brought out the fullest potential in my already great set and couldn't be happier.