Originally Posted by toofargone
THUDPP--the gratifying solid snap of the last piece of puzzle put into place. My first HT is finally assembled. Much gratitude to all the AVSers out there!!! Couldn't have done it with you.
KDS-R60XBR2, TWC SA 8300HD, Denon 4306, Toshibia HD-A1 DV-DVD, PS2, SVS SBS-01 5.0, SVS Plus 12.3. Room is 14*15*8, two openings, recliners at 5' from screen (yikes), couch at ~11.' Upgrading from 27" Sony xbr crt circa 1997.
Impressions in somewhat random order (sorry no great insights), settings pretty much custom defaults:
1. ESPN HD: I am blown away. Even at 5' it is perfect. Obligatory, unabashed jaw dropping WOW.
2. SD--varies alot, from "hey that's really good" to yick. I suspect I am very insensitive to the pq problems of crt and the pq problems with bad sources now are so different (and magnified by size) that I am acutely aware of them. I anticipate that I will acclimate to them with a bit of time.
3. She is quite huge. Overwhelms the room, makes the subwoofer seem petite. My stand at 21" is slightly too tall as I suspected it would be (had to compromise on this one). I LOVE the viewing experience of the bigger set. The build quality seems solid. The fan is quiet.
4. I am extremely pleased with the UA and documentation. Very clear, intuitive, and slick--visually pleasing menus, etc.
5. 2 set up problems: 1. Auto-program only found 7 channels (cable from wall to "cable in" on STB, "cable out" on STB to "cable in" on SONY. 2. HDCP error going STB HDMI out to Denon to Monitor out to HDMI in on SONY (supposedly a software issue on the STB).
I've got nearly all day today to play if anyone needs pics, measurements etc.