or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Official Sony XBR2 (60" & 70") Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony XBR2 (60" & 70") Owner's Thread - Page 231

post #6901 of 12044
Hello people.

I am helping my brother find a nice, enormous tv. Though he himself says he is not a videophile, we both preferred sxrd PQ to some dlp's. However, his first priority is enormous size, and is just about to pull the trigger on a 67" Sammy from Costco. After searching the internet for a little bit, I do not see places that sell the 70" XBR-2.

Does anyone have recommendations on a good place to find one? I know that the XBR-5 is on its way a bit down the road, but that will have a prohibitive price tag. Thanks for any inputs or links. (I'll go search a little more...)

and to any of you own the 70" XBR-2 ....
post #6902 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat View Post

Hello people.

I am helping my brother find a nice, enormous tv. Though he himself says he is not a videophile, we both preferred sxrd PQ to some dlp's. However, his first priority is enormous size, and is just about to pull the trigger on a 67" Sammy from Costco. After searching the internet for a little bit, I do not see places that sell the 70" XBR-2.

Does anyone have recommendations on a good place to find one? I know that the XBR-5 is on its way a bit down the road, but that will have a prohibitive price tag. Thanks for any inputs or links. (I'll go search a little more...)

and to any of you own the 70" XBR-2 ....


I got my 70" XBR2 from Crutchfield, I believe they are $1000.00 off right now with free White Glove shipping.
post #6903 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin44 View Post

...my 70" XBR2 from Crutchfield



Quote:


I believe they are $1000.00 off right now with free White Glove shipping.

Thanks very much for the information. Still a bit too much for his budget, but was worth looking into. Anyways, he's at Costco as of this moment....

welp, I enjoyed my cameo appearance at this thread, I hope you enjoy your puny little tv.
post #6904 of 12044
I just saw the 60 xbr2 at frys for 2499 and the 70 for 4200. I would also reccomend the bhuying the stand because it just dropped 50 percent in price. I bought my stand on friday and I feel like im watching a new tv.
post #6905 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat View Post

Hello people.

After searching the internet for a little bit, I do not see places that sell the 70" XBR-2.

Does anyone have recommendations on a good place to find one?

i got my 60" from tweeter they also had the 70". though at the time (nov.'06)it wasnt on their website. they had it in store.

i saw a 70" at bestbuy magnolia last week.
post #6906 of 12044
I have searched the forums and have not been able to find a single thread that sums up ta good understanding of how the 70XBR2 performs as a 1920x1080 PC display using DVI to HDMI.

I am thinking of building an HTPC using either the Zalman HD160XT Plus or the Moncaso 932P chasis. I am extemely picky about noise and isolation in my audio and video equipment so I am going to nick pick components from the ground up.

I want to use the unit to manage my digital video and audio library as well as browse and use the internet as if I were on a regular PC display.

The big question I have is what to expect from the display. I will need a dual output video card because one leg will be used for the internal 7" display.

With all of that being said I respectfully submit these questions:

1) Can the 70XBR2 be used as a 1920x1080 PC display?
2) Will text on internet pages be sharp and easy to read?
3) What video card and driver works the best?
4) What tuning or settings on either the TV or the video card need to be set?

I would think if my HDTiVo can display a great full screen HD picture over HDMI why wouldnt a high end PC card?

Thanks
post #6907 of 12044
Sure, the XBR2 works fine at 1920x1080 connected to a PC. I've had such a setup for ~6 months and building my second HTPC for this PC. There's been plenty of discussion on this forum regarding HTPC - mostly regarding overscan.

The text is very clear, but unless you're very close to the TV you have to use a large font. I use the HTPC to mostly display video and pictures and to stream music, so I haven't really paid attention to how crisp the text is.

I've used an old, cheap ATI video card that supported 1920x1080, and now I'm switching to a new machine with an ATI HD2600XT. So far so good, even though I admit I haven't worked out the overscan yet.

With my old machine I used PowerStrip to reduce the resolution to 1816x1008 (or something similar - I don't remember the exact resolution). I think my new video card has overscan correction built-in so I don't plan to use PowerStrip.

Note that the HTPC connection typically requires more extensive calibration to get brightness and contrast correct. The color is fairly close to the input from a DVD or DVR, but it does require correction.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliderhss View Post

I have searched the forums and have not been able to find a single thread that sums up ta good understanding of how the 70XBR2 performs as a 1920x1080 PC display using DVI to HDMI.

I am thinking of building an HTPC using either the Zalman HD160XT Plus or the Moncaso 932P chasis. I am extemely picky about noise and isolation in my audio and video equipment so I am going to nick pick components from the ground up.

I want to use the unit to manage my digital video and audio library as well as browse and use the internet as if I were on a regular PC display.

The big question I have is what to expect from the display. I will need a dual output video card because one leg will be used for the internal 7" display.

With all of that being said I respectfully submit these questions:

1) Can the 70XBR2 be used as a 1920x1080 PC display?
2) Will text on internet pages be sharp and easy to read?
3) What video card and driver works the best?
4) What tuning or settings on either the TV or the video card need to be set?

I would think if my HDTiVo can display a great full screen HD picture over HDMI why wouldnt a high end PC card?

Thanks
post #6908 of 12044
Recent versions of ATI catalyst have overscan compensation.


Fred
post #6909 of 12044
KingwoodClark & strutter, thank you very much.

It looks like one would have to physically walk into some stores. I just checked fry's website, and only the 60" listed. I don't recall exactly, but I thought I had already checked BB. Anyways, thanks again.
post #6910 of 12044
I've searched this thread for the last 30 minutes, and while i think someone has already answered these questions, I can't find the posts:
1) can this tv be transported on it's side?
2) has anyone fit one of these in an SUV?
post #6911 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post

I've searched this thread for the last 30 minutes, and while i think someone has already answered these questions, I can't find the posts:
1) can this tv be transported on it's side?
2) has anyone fit one of these in an SUV?

1) Not recommended on the packaging. Strong advisory against it IIRC.
2) It wouldn't fit in my '99 Chevy Suburban even if I'd removed all the seats. The rear door clearance was insufficient.

The R70XBR2 is one huge beast! But I sure am loving it!

Aloha
post #6912 of 12044
Oh...I meant to say the 60".
post #6913 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post

Oh...I meant to say the 60".

Oh, in that case, I think 1) is still the same answer. As for 2) you might have a chance then, though it's still pretty big and very well packed with generous amounts of molded foam blocks.

I thought the delivery service offered by the dealer was worth it though. I got mine with the matching stand, so they had two guys come out and unpack everything, set up the stand, mount the TV on the stand, and haul away all the rubbish.

Whichever way you go, good luck!
post #6914 of 12044
I've been searching this Sony XBR2 thread for awhile, but haven't seen anything exactly about this annoying issue.
Issue: screen width settings for standard & hd signals
Equipment: DISH 622 DVR signals sent via HDMI to Onkyo 674 Receiver, then via HCMI to Sony 60XBR2.
Until recently, the Sony switched image width automatically according to whether the signal was standard or hi-def. Now (reason yet to be determined) the Wide Mode setting (in "Screen Settings") seems to be over-riding the Auto Wide On setting, so I have to use the Wide button on the remote to cycle through the wide screen modes. I have tried every possible combination of settings in the Screen Settings menu (Wide Mode, Auto Wide, 4:3 Default), but cannot get the Auto Wide to change the screen mode automatically according to the current program signal.
Only changes to system recently: DISH tech changed roof antenna, I added an Oppo dvd and used hdmi instead of component cables to connect it to the Sony tv.
Help, please. Thank you.
post #6915 of 12044
The tech may not have set your dvr back to the settings you had for your "tv". Check the settings menue.
post #6916 of 12044
My 70" XBR2 has started doing something strange, when I turn it on it goes to a test pattern & I have to turn it off & on again to get rid of it.
What could be causing this?
post #6917 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbucar@comcast.n View Post

I've been searching this Sony XBR2 thread for awhile, but haven't seen anything exactly about this annoying issue.
Issue: screen width settings for standard & hd signals
Equipment: DISH 622 DVR signals sent via HDMI to Onkyo 674 Receiver, then via HCMI to Sony 60XBR2.
Until recently, the Sony switched image width automatically according to whether the signal was standard or hi-def. Now (reason yet to be determined) the Wide Mode setting (in "Screen Settings") seems to be over-riding the Auto Wide On setting, so I have to use the Wide button on the remote to cycle through the wide screen modes. I have tried every possible combination of settings in the Screen Settings menu (Wide Mode, Auto Wide, 4:3 Default), but cannot get the Auto Wide to change the screen mode automatically according to the current program signal.
Only changes to system recently: DISH tech changed roof antenna, I added an Oppo dvd and used hdmi instead of component cables to connect it to the Sony tv.
Help, please. Thank you.

More than likely, the AVR is messing you up. Try a direct connection from DISH box to XBR2 and see if the aspect ratios work properly. My guess is that you won't have any problems.

If the problem is the AVR and there are no adjustments for what the AVR does with the HDMI video, your stuck with using the direct connection to the XBR2.

That said... DIRECT CONNECTIONS TO VIDEO DISPLAYS RULE! Why? When you run everything through an AVR, you only have ONE group of settings on the videod display to make all of your inputs look good. That means NONE of the inputs will ever look really good because you have to pick a compromise for each source. If you use the video display (like the XBR2 that remembers a whole different group of settings for each input), you can optimize each input for the source. I even use a component connection for Standard Def from my DISH box and HDMI connection for high-def so I can switch video inputs and have 2 completely different setups for standard def and high-def programming. Makes it easier to get reasonable SD and HD image quality. You might want to do the same for a high-def disc player also... component for DVDs, HDMI for high-def discs.

It's convenient to use an AVR for switching HDMI and other interfaces, but you lose all your adjustments. Only when AVRs allow calibration for each input will using an AVR for switching be worth anyhing... other than convenience. I HATE having to give up image quality for convenience.
post #6918 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post

My 70" XBR2 has started doing something strange, when I turn it on it goes to a test pattern & I have to turn it off & on again to get rid of it.
What could be causing this?

The only way this can happen is if you have been messing around in the Service Menu. There were several other posts on this topic in this thread way back... 3, 4, maybe 5 months ago... maybe more. There is a way to get this to stop. I don't remember the details, unfortunately. But if you search the thread for "test patterns" or something like that, you should probably find the posts.
post #6919 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdb View Post

The only way this can happen is if you have been messing around in the Service Menu. There were several other posts on this topic in this thread way back... 3, 4, maybe 5 months ago... maybe more. There is a way to get this to stop. I don't remember the details, unfortunately. But if you search the thread for "test patterns" or something like that, you should probably find the posts.

Thanks, it wasn't me messing around in there though, it was the service guy!
post #6920 of 12044
Here is a link to the XBR1 Service Menu test pattern settings:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...rn#post7310050.

I believe you have to turn off the enable function(s), then save the settings with . I bet the service man forgot that step. I'm pretty sure the XBR2 SM is basically the same as the XBR1 SM. I used it for convergence on mine and had the same issue until I went back and disabled the test patterns.
post #6921 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post

Thanks, it wasn't me messing around in there though, it was the service guy!

ya didn't think that was worth mentioning in your original post
post #6922 of 12044
I had service out on my TV again, after he heard they had already replaced the optical block twice, he said there was nothing else that could be done, and told Sony it was not repairable.

So Sony is going to let me know in 48 hours, what they are going to do for me.

Michael
post #6923 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bull View Post

ya didn't think that was worth mentioning in your original post

No since it'd been 2 months since the service guy was out here & this was a problem that started a week ago!
post #6924 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post

Thanks, it wasn't me messing around in there though, it was the service guy!

When you find the posts and the instructions for getting into the service menu, if you don't feel 100% confident correcting the problem yourself, you should maybe get the service person back, show them what they did, and if they don't know how to fix it, show them the fix from this thread and have him do it. There are things in the service menu that can disable your XBR2 and require a board replacement to get it going again, so you don't want to be rooting around in there unless you have some confidence in yourself being in there. It's not HARD, you just need to be methodical and not make a mistake.
post #6925 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdb View Post

When you find the posts and the instructions for getting into the service menu, if you don't feel 100% confident correcting the problem yourself, you should maybe get the service person back, show them what they did, and if they don't know how to fix it, show them the fix from this thread and have him do it. There are things in the service menu that can disable your XBR2 and require a board replacement to get it going again, so you don't want to be rooting around in there unless you have some confidence in yourself being in there. It's not HARD, you just need to be methodical and not make a mistake.

Yea I'll get the service guy back to fix it, I don't need to be rooting around in there myself!
post #6926 of 12044
Well thanx to everyone on this thread I purchased a 70" this week and boy what a TV. Also grabbed a HD dvd player to really enjoy the set.


needless to say I am very happy and got a great deal.
post #6927 of 12044
Well my palette is wet right now for a Sony KDS-60A3000 to replace my Mitsubishi WS-55413 CRT RPTV however I've heard of a new model coming soon that is even better. The Sony KDS-Z60XBR5. I'm beginning to wonder whether or not to wait for it. I've seen some initial comments about it from CEDIA 2007 but nothing in depth. There is a product discripiton on Sony's web site.
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665156111
It seems fascinating. The thinness of this RPTV is remarkable, its the thinnest one I've ever seen, almost has thin as early LCD's were. Supposedly the video processing is better using the BRAVIA Engine PRO featuring DRC-MFv2.5 as opposed to the KDS-60A3000 BRAVIA Engine EX, 12-bit SXRD chip. i'm no expert, I just want the best display that I can afford. Take a look at the product discripiton on sonystyle's web site as compared with the KDS-60A3000 and tell me what you think.
post #6928 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by airman23 View Post

Well my palette is wet right now for a Sony KDS-60A3000 to replace my Mitsubishi WS-55413 CRT RPTV however I've heard of a new model coming soon that is even better. The Sony KDS-Z60XBR5. I'm beginning to wonder whether or not to wait for it. I've seen some initial comments about it from CEDIA 2007 but nothing in depth. There is a product discripiton on Sony's web site.

Take a look at the product discripiton on sonystyle's web site as compared with the KDS-60A3000 and tell me what you think.

Welcome to the forum. What do I think? I think that you're in the XBR2 thread and I think that you'll get a better response by reading and then posting in the threads more specific for the displays that you're interested in.

The XBR5 SXRD anticipation thread can by found by clicking here. In that thread you'll find over 750 posts by folks more than happy to discuss what they think about the XBR5. The XBR5 has only been seen at a couple of shows. There are a couple of first or second hand eyewitness reports, but no real reviews by the few people that have seen it.

A thread about how the 70" XBR5 SXRD has been delayed and the 60" possibly cancelled can be found by clicking here.

The owner's thread for the A3000's can be found by clicking here.

Most displays have threads specifically dedictated to their specific model. The search function on the board can help you find threads, and can also help you find information in those threads. Happy reading!

HTH
post #6929 of 12044
Like airman23, I was waiting for the xbr5 to become available (to replace our 2001 model 65" mitsu). Fortunately, I went to the closing of a Magnolia store last month and saw the 70" xbr2. We picked it up and I am still amazed at the picture quality of this set, especially on high def channels or with blu-ray and an HDMI connection. Although I haven't seen the xbr5, the only meaningful advantages (IMO) would be the 120 Hz refresh rate and 24 fps capability compared to 60 Hz and 30 fps of the xbr2. I have since compared TV's side by side to assess the 120/60 Hz difference - I can't see any (maybe the "eagle-eyed" can). The 24 fps issue is still to be resolved, but I wonder if it is that big of a deal. Also, the xbr2 would seem to have some advantages over the xbr5, including brighter lamp (180 vs 120 watt), 100 lbs lighter, possibly less-reflective display, and a highly discounted close-out price. So I would advise those awaiting the xbr5 to seriously consider taking a look at the xbr2, before they are all gone. I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with this set, and the money they have left over to put a down payment on a car will no doubt be a welcome bonus.
post #6930 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

I had service out on my TV again, after he heard they had already replaced the optical block twice, he said there was nothing else that could be done, and told Sony it was not repairable.

So Sony is going to let me know in 48 hours, what they are going to do for me.

Michael


Sony is telling me they want to put a third optical engine in my 70". They are refusing to replace the TV. Anyone have a good phone number to get to some people that can help me?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Official Sony XBR2 (60" & 70") Owner's Thread