or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Official Sony XBR2 (60" & 70") Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony XBR2 (60" & 70") Owner's Thread - Page 234

post #6991 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelpie View Post

No, I didn't go to CEDIA. Did you read the links that I gave you? I have. All of them. And more.

I'm sure that you saw quite a few displays at the CEDIA show. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you saw a bewildering array of displays at a show like that. It must have been hard to keep them all straight.

Although, as you say, I wasn't a CEDIA like you, I have followed the XBR5's closely. Unfortunately it would appear that your presence at the show ~1½ months ago didn't prevent your memory from failing you. Virtually all of the information that you presented in this thread concernding the XBR5 was inaccurate, misleading, or incomplete- as I have shown with the verifiable evidence that I provided in my post (as opposed to your memories of what you saw and heard 1½ months ago). The XBR5 SXRD's are not available "now" or apparently even "soon", there is a standard "base" under the screen and there are no "legs" that the owner needs to install, there are not "2 supports" on the optional pedestal stand, and the display does not always interpolate frames as you described. Sorry.

Still feel your memory of the XBR5 at the show is correct? Below see photos of two of the XBR5's at the show. Care to tell us again about the "2 supports that hold the screen above the surface of the stand"?





Despite what you thought you saw or heard at CEDIA, looking at those photos from the Sony booth at that show it would appear that the information that I posted about the SU-RS52U stand is correct- even for the pre-production stands that you saw at CEDIA.

Instead of being "cracked up" by "internet smartboys", perhaps you should be appreciative of better informed people who help you improve your knowledge base.

OH, I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOO SOOOOORRRRRYYYYYYY, there's only ONE support that holds the TV above the stand and there's nothing but space below the screen. Just like I said. No visible "base" to the display... also as I said... nothing at all extending below the screen except the support. That's quite different than the XBR2 which DOES have a base that DOES contain much of the GUTS of the TV which was my point in the first place. So the XBR5 design has to have moved all the guts UP into the space behind the screen to get that appearance, which was also the point of the original post.
post #6992 of 12044
while at CEDA and you were looking at the new sets, did they have any side by side comparison tests to the existing xbr2? I was wondering if there were any visual PQ differences..
post #6993 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revere View Post

Hi Strutter,
oppo 981hd dvd player,

Does any one own one of these units? Or does anyone use a stand alone PAL to NTSC converter with this set?
Rev.

i use the oppo 981. i do not have any pal disc to check it out for you though. over in the oppo thread there are many people using the oppo to watch PAL converted to NTSC on various sets.
post #6994 of 12044
how do you find this unit? do you use it for music playback too?
post #6995 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revere View Post

how do you find this unit? do you use it for music playback too?

if by how i found it you mean where did i get it. it came from Oppo, the link at the top of the page. if by how did i find it means what do i think of it. i like it. it without fail has played every disc i've thrown at it. backups of movies, clips from youtube, youporn, divix, Mp3. several disc that would freeze or not load in other players of mine seem to have no problem in the oppo. the upscailing is great. i have used it for music, but mostly i use my Cd changer for that. i have recently purchased the samsung 1400bluray player and i was going to sell the oppo but after discovering that it wont play alot of the formats that the oppo will i decided to keep both.
post #6996 of 12044
I was reading a review of my HD dvd player and it says the player gives a better picture at 1080p/24 then conventional 1080p. Does the xbr2 properly display 1080p/24?


thanx
post #6997 of 12044
No, the XBR2 does not accept 1080p24fps, only 60.
post #6998 of 12044
UMR calibrated my set yesterday. He found the convergence to be off a little and after changing it said he didn't believe he had seen one yet as perfect as mine.
Initially i thought "well it's different, but not sure if it's better". Skin tones were better, grass and trees looked more natural but i just wasn't sure if i really liked it. I had experienced the same delay in gratification when i changed the settings from vivid to custom warm many months ago. so i knew that I'd have to give it a little time. I concluded it was just because my eyes were accustomed to the set being wrong. because after watching a few shows i began to notice how much more depth the picture had. how clear folds in black cloth were. how nice the colors looked. My wife came home and said the picture looked better too.
Jeff also did an audio calibration. he found that when i was moving things around i had hooked up one of my mains out of phase. he also told me that one of my surrounds wasn't quite right and after he pointed it out to me i noticed it too. almost like the timbre was different than the other speakers. not really noticeable when watching movies but definitely different with pink noise. (gotta check into getting that fixed). he also pointed out that i had neglected to run a digital audio cable from my cable box to the receiver and that i was only getting analogue pro logic when watching 5.1 TV. he offered to fix it but i knew i didn't have a cable and my receiver back is pretty hard to get to so i told him I'd do it myself. i haven't had a chance to listen to any of my own music or movies through my newly calibrated system but the samples he played were fantastic.
Jeff is a great guy, easy to talk to and very knowledgeable. he's more than willing to make recommendations on components and will discuss pretty much anything you throw at him.
i would definitely recommend his services.
post #6999 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by strutter View Post

UMR calibrated my set yesterday.

Thanks for PM'ing me about your calibration report. I'm not able to read enough threads to find them all.

Your report is now included in the RPTV owner's list.

Enjoy.
post #7000 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD AV View Post

So for any considering ISF calibration and THX certified sound system calibration, I highly recommend Jeff. ... I feel like I just bought a new A/V system.

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included it in the RPTV owner's list that is linked at the bottom of my post.

Enjoy!
post #7001 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdb View Post

Well isn't that interesting!!!! How do you suppose the XBR2s receive cable, satellite and broadcast TV then? Because all of those are 30fps. So are DVDs.


AFAIK it's 60 fields per second, usually interlaced on NTSC. 1080i/60, dvd 480i/60. Even when using a progressive scan player, it's 480p/60, at least as far as the inputs I've eve seen have indicated on my displays. I've never seen 480 or 1080i or p/30 ever.
post #7002 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

AFAIK it's 60 fields per second, usually interlaced on NTSC. 1080i/60, dvd 480i/60. Even when using a progressive scan player, it's 480p/60, at least as far as the inputs I've eve seen have indicated on my displays. I've never seen 480 or 1080i or p/30 ever.

It depends on your definition of fps. That can mean either fields per second or frames per second. Interlaced video (as in 480i and 1080i) is 60 fields / 30 frames per second. 480p is typically 30 (and sometimes 60) frames per second. 720p and 1080p can be either 24, 30 or 60 frames per second. That's, of course, in the U.S. and Japan. Other areas of the world have different resolutions and frame rates (ie. Europe, Australia, much of Asia, Africa, and parts of South America which use 576 at 25/50 for standard definition and 720p and 1080p at 25 or 50 frames per second). There are no fields used in progressive scan, so fps always means frames per second there.
post #7003 of 12044
I do know that, but it still shows the image at 60hz. which is really like 30fps twice, hence the 3/2 pulldown from 24 seperate fps on a disc.

I like my native PAL output from my oppo, I use 720/50, (PJ is 720P) as there is no 3/2 judder, BUT there is a 4% speedup.
post #7004 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

AFAIK it's 60 fields per second, usually interlaced on NTSC. 1080i/60, dvd 480i/60. Even when using a progressive scan player, it's 480p/60, at least as far as the inputs I've eve seen have indicated on my displays. I've never seen 480 or 1080i or p/30 ever.

It's 30 FRAMES per second and whenever "i" is the format, you get the odd-numbered lines in field 1 for 1/60th of second and the even lines in field 2 for 1/60th of a second. "i" has worked exactly like that from the day it was "born". All video programming is 30FRAMES per second and 24 FRAME per second movies have to be converted to 30 FRAMES per second for transmission and display on video displays... until just recently when video displays have been appearing (at less than stratospheric prices) that will handle native 24 FRAMES per second sources without conversion to 30 FRAMES per second.

480i DVD is still 30 FRAMES per second and the "i" automatically changes that to odd lines in the first 1/60th of a second and even lines in the second 1/60th of a second.

60 fps displays refer to 60 FRAMES per second, not fields. 60 FULL FRAMES every second. These displays combine the 2 fields from "i" inputs to a single 1/30th of a second frame, then display that frame for two 1/60th of a second frame intervals (display's native rate) to get the full 1/30th of a second frame. No "i" format so far has ever shown 60 full FRAMES per second. High-def disc players that have 1080p/60 output modes as standard... that's just a trick. The movie is recorded at 24 FRAMES per second on the disc. In 1080p/60 mode, the high-def player converes the 24 FRAMES per second to 30 FRAMES per second (using 3:2 pulldown), then it send that frame to the display 2 times, for 1/60th of a second each time to get the full 1/30th of a frame duration. New video displays that accept 24p inputs have to have multiple frame-rate modes. So the 24p input is displayed at 48 frames per second or 72 frames per second or at 120 frames per second in newer displays (each frame 2, 3, or 5 times depending on the display's native rate). Right now, there is no 1080p/60 programming for home systems when the 60 is referring to FRAMES per second as it always does unless otherwise noted. The only source components I can think of that would cause a video display to say it was receiving 1080p/60 would be a high def disc player or maybe a D-VHS player (not sure about those). But that's really inaccurate because what is being sent may be 1080p/60, but there are only 30 different FRAMES per second being sent... they just send each FRAME 2 times to get the 1/60th of a second interval the display operates at.
post #7005 of 12044
CCTVTECH, Thank you for validating my original post. I plainly stated the XBR2 only accepted 1080p 60 Frames per second as verified by Sony. I was not trying to be overly technical or get into the minute details. Someone always wants to argue or say you're wrong when you are just answering someone's question while trying to be helpful. If one checks the specs. on Samsungs new combo player they will find it outputs 24fps, 30fps and 60fps to be compatible with all US TVs that will accept 1080p.


Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdb View Post

Read the Owner's Manual. There is no mystery. No hidden information. It accepts 30fps and displays at 60p... period. Nothing else is supported. It accepts 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p and nothing else is specified.

You need a player that plays PAL but converts it to 30fps and one of the compatible input formats or you won't be able to use the XBR2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD AV View Post

Sorry, the US model of the XBR2 does NOT support 30fps, only 60! I had to return an LG combo player that output 30fps @ 1080p and my XBR2 would not support that. I had that confirmed by Sony and a Sony repair facility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDan View Post

I was reading a review of my HD dvd player and it says the player gives a better picture at 1080p/24 then conventional 1080p. Does the xbr2 properly display 1080p/24?


thanx


Quote:
Originally Posted by HD AV View Post

No, the XBR2 does not accept 1080p24fps, only 60.
post #7006 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD AV View Post

CCTVTECH, Thank you for validating my original post.

You're welcome. I'm always happy to be of assistance.
post #7007 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD AV View Post

CCTVTECH, Thank you for validating my original post. I plainly stated the XBR2 only accepted 1080p 60 Frames per second as verified by Sony. I was not trying to be overly technical or get into the minute details. Someone always wants to argue or say you're wrong when you are just answering someone's question while trying to be helpful. If one checks the specs. on Samsungs new combo player they will find it outputs 24fps, 30fps and 60fps to be compatible with all US TVs that will accept 1080p.

Except Sony's verification is completely incorrect. These sets only DISPLAY images at 1080p/60 and that's ALL they display.

You can RECEIVE NTSC video at 30fps and it displays fine because the set itself converts that to 1080p/60.

You can receive signals from DVDs at 30 frames per second JUST FINE and the set converts those to 1080p/60.

The ATSC standards for 720p broadcast HDTV allow for frame rates of 23.976, 24, 29.97, 30, 59.94, and 60 so all of these are valid and have to be supported by the display.

For 1080i its 25, 29.97, and 30 FRAMES per second. For 1080p it's 23.976, 24, 29.97, 30.

If the XBR2s could only accept 1080p/60 inputs they would not be able to display anything but the output of high-def disc players because those are the only sources available with 1080p/60 output.

I won't argue when the facts are correct. And the CORRECT fact is that the XBR2 displays will accept any NTSC or HDTV input PLUS 1080p/60 from high def disc players. But it is NOT limited to 1080p/60 inputs and that's a fact.
post #7008 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdb View Post

Except Sony's verification is completely incorrect. These sets only DISPLAY images at 1080p/60 and that's ALL they display.

You can RECEIVE NTSC video at 30fps and it displays fine because the set itself converts that to 1080p/60.

You can receive signals from DVDs at 30 frames per second JUST FINE and the set converts those to 1080p/60.

The ATSC standards for 720p broadcast HDTV allow for frame rates of 23.976, 24, 29.97, 30, 59.94, and 60 so all of these are valid and have to be supported by the display.

For 1080i its 25, 29.97, and 30 FRAMES per second. For 1080p it's 23.976, 24, 29.97, 30.

If the XBR2s could only accept 1080p/60 inputs they would not be able to display anything but the output of high-def disc players because those are the only sources available with 1080p/60 output.

I won't argue when the facts are correct. And the CORRECT fact is that the XBR2 displays will accept any NTSC or HDTV input PLUS 1080p/60 from high def disc players. But it is NOT limited to 1080p/60 inputs and that's a fact.


maxdb,
Would you recommend the player XA2, A35, A30, or A20 for the KDS-R60XBR2? Your input would be greatly appreciated.
post #7009 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbr2man View Post

maxdb,
Would you recommend the player XA2, A35, A30, or A20 for the KDS-R60XBR2? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

I recommend the new Samsung 5000 Duo player.
post #7010 of 12044
Ive just recently added a Yamaha rx-v3800 to my HT and have been having a problem with the HDMI connectivity to my XBR2.
When I change channels on my cable box I get a loss of picture for up to 10seconds. This problem goes away when I connect the amp to the TV with component.
I have spoken to Yamaha about this and they have asked me to check if there are any settings on the xbr2 to change the way the HDMI connection is working. On the yamaha amp I can turn off HDMI discovery.
Does anyone know if there are any hidden menus where you can adjust anything with the HDMI input on the XBR2.
Sorry if this has been covered in this thread, the thread is so damn big now.
Thanks
post #7011 of 12044
I would suspect the cable box as the culprit...
post #7012 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbr2man View Post

maxdb,
Would you recommend the player XA2, A35, A30, or A20 for the KDS-R60XBR2? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

If you are only considering image quality - all of them give the same image quality as far as I can tell. The biggest differences appear to be in how those various players handle the different audio formats. I think I'd probably go for the A30 if I was using HDMI for audio and video. If I had to rely on analog audio outputs, I would get the A35. The A20's 1080p is buggy and this has been well documented. The XA2 may or may not get a firmware update to give it more capabilities with HDMI audio - so if you want completel HDMI audio capabilities, the XA2 doesn't have that now, but the A35 and A30 (according to Toshiba's web site info... which is not always right!... says the A35 and A30 only decode the DTS "core" file from DTS-HD soundtracks. Personally, I think Gen 3 players should have gotten past that roadblock by now. If they really can't fully decode or sent those formats out the HDMI cable in-tact (bitstream), you have to decide if you really want one of those players now, or whether it's better to wait for the Gen 4 players. There's probably an A30/A35 forum here that will have more info about audio capabilities to help you decide.

But if you are concerned only about image quality, the XA2, A35, and A30 are all going to be the same, very good, image quality. The XA2 might upsample DVDs to 1080p better than the A35/A30 so if that's important to you, you should also check the XA2 forums to see what people are saying and to see if anybody has compared the DVD upsampling of the XA2, A35, and A30. But even GREAT DVD upsampling is going to look low resolution compared to high-def.
post #7013 of 12044
I started to notice a green haze to all the pictures, faces,whites etc. and it seems to have increased? I'm not sure. But I did see an xbr1 with the green blob and this is not what it is. I had someone out to adjust the set when I first bought it in Sept 06' and its been great! until now. I tried different settings and I even replaced the bulb, nothing has worked
So, I called sonystyle as its now under my extended warranty. They had someone out within days. Now I know nothing about TVs so does this sound right? He looks at the TV for a few minutes,checked some things with the remote and said it has no blue? so they have to send for the part and may do the work here or take the TV to the shop. I dont know what blue he's talking about, I do see blue,anyway I'm so confused.

Erika
post #7014 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetz34 View Post

I started to notice a green haze to all the pictures, faces,whites etc. and it seems to have increased? I'm not sure. But I did see an xbr1 with the green blob and this is not what it is. I had someone out to adjust the set when I first bought it in Sept 06' and its been great! until now. I tried different settings and I even replaced the bulb, nothing has worked
So, I called sonystyle as its now under my extended warranty. They had someone out within days. Now I know nothing about TVs so does this sound right? He looks at the TV for a few minutes,checked some things with the remote and said it has no blue? so they have to send for the part and may do the work here or take the TV to the shop. I dont know what blue he's talking about, I do see blue,anyway I'm so confused.

Erika

If the TV really had "no blue" everything would be shades of red, green, and yellow, orange, lime, and brown with no other colors. That would be pretty darn obvious and you would certainly never see sky that looked remotely blue. So if that's what he really said, he's not too bright. On the other hand, if the part he ordered is the "optical block"... he's on the right track to fixing your problem. My Oct 06 set was fine for 3-4 months, then it developed a green haze in the center of the screen, magenta haze on the bottom and a blue haze on the top... these were like very very light pastel colors, sometimes not visible depending on what images were on the screen, but very distracting with the right screen content, even thought he color/tint wasn't terribly obvious. At the time I had my problem, there weren't any trained people in my area so they replaced the entire product and it has been fine now for 9 months. I never did get a good explanaiton for how/why the color/tint problem appears on a display that had previously been fine... it's not alignment or anything physical like that, something happens to the LCDs (LCoS chips, aka SXRD in Sony-speak) themselves apparently.
post #7015 of 12044
I will find out what "the part" is when they call or come back hopefully next week and post what happens. I am so bummed,I love my TV.

Erika
post #7016 of 12044
has anyone experienced the menu system going in and out intermittently? Everything on the 60 xbr2 works from the remote, I just don't know which menu I am in because it comes up and then digitally scrambles and goes away for hours. The all of a sudden it's back? Techs are coming, it's brand new, but do you think it is a loose OSD board or connection or is this software? Very annoying, and the TVG system does not work either. I am running a cable card and could this be the problem messing with the OSD?
post #7017 of 12044
I think someone a while ago mentioned this in one of the post, but I can't seem to find it... As of last week, everytime I turn the on, it switches from the Tivo input to the cable/TV Guide input. Can anyone tell me how to stop it from doing this?

Thanks
Emmett
post #7018 of 12044
I have the Toshiba A20 HD-DVD player, and it works beautifully with my 60XBR2. The TV properly detects the 1080p signal via HDMI, and it looks as good as my PS3's BluRay output. (The PS3 and HD-DVD players are using the same HDMI input on the TV via an HDMI 1.3-compliant switchbox.)
post #7019 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecruet View Post

I think someone a while ago mentioned this in one of the post, but I can't seem to find it... As of last week, everytime I turn the on, it switches from the Tivo input to the cable/TV Guide input. Can anyone tell me how to stop it from doing this?

Thanks
Emmett

Here is your answer, ecruet


http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=730418
post #7020 of 12044
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdb View Post

Except Sony's verification is completely incorrect. These sets only DISPLAY images at 1080p/60 and that's ALL they display.

If the XBR2s could only accept 1080p/60 inputs they would not be able to display anything but the output of high-def disc players because those are the only sources available with 1080p/60 output.

I won't argue when the facts are correct. And the CORRECT fact is that the XBR2 displays will accept any NTSC or HDTV input PLUS 1080p/60 from high def disc players. But it is NOT limited to 1080p/60 inputs and that's a fact.

If you bothered to read what I posted in context, I plainly stated the XBR2 would only accept 1080p 60. That's a fact verified twice by Sony Technical Support. I was not speaking of cable, OTA, or any device other than a HD/BR player that outputs 1080p. Try and get the original LG combo player, which outputs 1080p 30fps to sync with the XBR2 @ 1080p. It will not. Even LG confirmed this. I had to return the player due to the 1080p output being an incompatible signal for the XBR2, Unsupported format. 1080i worked just fine. You can spout all the specs you want, but that doesn't change the fact that the player would not work @ 1080p 30fps with my XBR2, it HAS to be 1080p 60fps. Your remark concerning only displaying output from a 1080p HD source is laughable considering the questions I was answering with my statements were addressing only 1080p input. Like I said read and think, understand what is being answered and discussed before argueing. You are right, it will accept NTSC and ATSC input, I never said it didn't. I stated it only accepts 1080p 60fps in the context of the posters asking about input from a 1080p 24 and 30 output source. In these cases it MUST be 1080p 60fps or you will not get video! Argue with that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Official Sony XBR2 (60" & 70") Owner's Thread