or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Official Sony XBR2 (60" & 70") Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony XBR2 (60" & 70") Owner's Thread - Page 27

post #781 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by belvista View Post

For any Canadians in the Durham region I would HIGHLY recommend Hi-Fi Centre Dundas St. E. Whitby ask for Joun Lee (905)683-2135. Tell him Ray Ross referred you. I got an amazing deal on a KDS-R70XBR2 and stand, far far below anywhere else.

You have mail...Can you please get back to me when you have a moment...Thanks
post #782 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraLB View Post

I agree. I haven't seen many posts at all saying how wonderful or amazing the television is. Seems like most people are "ho hum" about it. For $7k I would have expected some draw dropping remarks.

I got my 60" delivered today (SonyStyle.com did a great job, no complaints there), and consider my jaw dropped and stuck open. I don't know if you were going from an older model if it would be as noticeable, but this is my first HDTV and it's amazing.

I don't know if it's just because the view situation in my home is better than a store, but it looks better than any of the DLP or LCD tv's I looked at. (Not sure how it compares to a plasma I didn't look at them).

I'm a picky consumer and I can say that I am very, very happy with my decision. So far I've only seen OTA HD, my new HD PLUS DVR shows up friday, in time to watch HD football this weekend. OMG, I think I'm gonna cry!
post #783 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFunBoater View Post

I'm very surprised that most/many of the posters on this board don't give much thought to the TV speakers. I also have a legitimate sound system, but I couldn't imagine having it on all day for my wife to watch Ellen or The Today Show. We rarely turn it on for TV at night, and pretty much only use it for movies. I don't even think my family knows how to turn the receiver on.

I struggled with that for a long time, until I got a universal remote (a Harmony 880 in my case). Once it was all setup, they have had no issues. It sets everything to the correct input/channel/etc
post #784 of 12039
A few questions.

Misconvergence
As KTTV noticed misconvergence on his XBR2, I'm curious if anyone else has seen the same -- or not. Experiences either way would be really helpful.

ISF Calibration
Several mentions of ISF calibration. Any ISF people want to comment on this thread. Can the XBR2 benefit from ISF calibration (okay, duh), but more importantly, what areas would the XBR2 specifically benefit from ISF?

Service Menu
Anyone succeed in hitting up service menu?

Gaming (XBox/XBox 360/PS2/etc.)
Anyone give gaming a shot? Howzit look? The first time I saw the XBox 1.0 on a Samsung DLP, I was absolutely blown away -- and I have one playing on my Mitsubishi CRT 73711! The difference was spectacular. I'm curious if this super-awesome gaming is inherent to other digital TVs, or DLPs in specific.

Thanks!

-Pie
post #785 of 12039
Anyone want to PM with recommendation on dealers in the Orange County area, looking to get a 70" XBR2 this weekend, and most dealers are selling at MSRP.
post #786 of 12039
Finally.....great, detailed, vibrant, dew dropping, like I am there grass on the baseball field tonight. This surpasses my Pioneer Elite plasma. Never thought I would say that.

This set is BEAUTIFUL!
post #787 of 12039
Myer Emco in DC still doesn't have the XBR2 in stock yet.
post #788 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanmedwards View Post

Just got the 70XBR2, but still setting up. Does anyone know if a cablecard will output digital audio on the optical output of the set? If so, I can avoid using a STB, which I think just complicates the system without any benefit (I don't use on-demand or HBO). Assuming that the HDMI inputs will also pass through digital audio to the optical output, I could then avoid switching through a receiver, another control simplification.

Thanks - Jonathan

I am using a cable card on my 60XBR2 with digital optical out to my receiver and it works fine.
post #789 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswaz View Post

I got my 60" delivered today (SonyStyle.com did a great job, no complaints there), and consider my jaw dropped and stuck open. I don't know if you were going from an older model if it would be as noticeable, but this is my first HDTV and it's amazing.

I don't know if it's just because the view situation in my home is better than a store, but it looks better than any of the DLP or LCD tv's I looked at. (Not sure how it compares to a plasma I didn't look at them).

I'm a picky consumer and I can say that I am very, very happy with my decision. So far I've only seen OTA HD, my new HD PLUS DVR shows up friday, in time to watch HD football this weekend. OMG, I think I'm gonna cry!

Howdy Chriswaz,
Glad to hear you got your set. I got mine yesterday. I watched "I Robot" last night. WOW
Saturday, Dishnetwork is coming out to install the sat. I got my DB4 OTA antenna today for Antennas Direct, which will be installed on Sat. Then I will see what South Mountain is transmitting.
post #790 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenGhoti View Post

Anyone know the service menu code for the XBR2s?

I bit the bullet and tried the A2000 code. It does work and navigation appears to work the same way. I didn't change anything, though. I'm pleased to say it doesn't reset all the user settings, at least not when you power back down without saving.

People clever enough to use a service menu should be clever enough to find the A2000 code without a URL. I don't want to be responsible if someone goes in without a clue and ruins their set.
post #791 of 12039
Just curious...wondering what stands are you lucky owners of the 70 using?

The one from Sony doesn't look like it gives much space once I put my Center Speaker in!!!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...8/amazoncom045
post #792 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBergan View Post

I'd say it's unlikely they'll say anything at CES this year. Unless they are seeing some competitive pressure on some feature, or its necessary to make the PS3/Blu-ray story hold together, I think like last year, they will wait for their "Sony Day" in March/April, which is when the announced the A2000 and XB2s this year.

eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero/One View Post

Originally Posted by thrasher8
Anybody with news/rumors regarding 70xbr3??

Hopefully - Sony will release some official news by CES 2007



Most likely they will show concept products at CES like last year. You will see more information in March/April for the mid line, then June for the XBR line.

That sounds about right Eric and Zero/One!

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions
post #793 of 12039
Hi All,

I am planning on purchasing the new 60" XBR2 SXRD as soon as I have made a decision on the stand and the location of the center channel speaker. This has proven to be a source of frustration because very few stands seem to have a centrally located shelf tall enough (8.5") for the center speaker. I have found one stand that seems to fit the bill but I am concerned that it may be too tall. The stand is from BDI and it is called the Icon 9429, available for your review via the following link:

BDI Icon 9429 TV Stand

The dimensions of the stand are: 23.5"H x 62"W x 20.5"D. The 60" XBR2 SXRD is 40.6" H so that the top of the TV on this stand would be at just about 64". Furthermore, the width of the TV is 67" so it would be overhanging the stand by about 5 inches.

1) Is this too tall? I'm confused about this because many of the floorstanding rear-projection 60" TVs wind up being about this high. Please explain.

2) Is this wide enough? Is it important for the stand to be at least as wide as the TV?

3) I've also been thinking about the Omnimount CCH-1 for use on top of the TV. Is this a good idea? I am concerned about damaging the TV with the weight of the stand and the speaker, or by the vibrations from the speaker. By the way, my center channel speaker is 34.5 pounds. If the speaker is too heavy, I might consider putting lighter-weight AV component up there.

4) Other than the height, what do you all think of this stand for the 60" XBR2 SXRD?

Thank you,

nv
post #794 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by netvizier View Post

The stand is from BDI and it is called the Icon 9429, available for your review via the following link:

BDI Icon 9429 TV Stand

I'm pretty sure that stand is only for plasma and LCD panel displays.

As for the height of a stand... if it's much higher than your butt when you're seated watching the SXRD, it's probably going to be too tall.
post #795 of 12039
Adapting old XBR1 Sony stand for XBR2:

Several Forum readers have asked for a description of how I adapted my XBR1 Sony stand for use with the XBR2 (the new base is wider than the base cutout in the SU GW12 stand)

Because I am dremel challenged I decided to mount my XBR2 on my SU GW12 using the fill-in board method described below.

The filler board was made from a 1 inch thick pressed particle board that is dropped into the cut out area in the top of the stand. The board sets back from the front of the stand so that the trim piece can be slid on in front of the board. Visualize that with the board in place and the trim piece installed, the surface of the stand is flat/flush across the entire top, except for clearance groves surrounding the filler board.

The XBR2 simply sits on top of this flat surface. It does not lock into anything and can be moved around so the back hangs over the stand about 1 inch, and the front of the base of the TV set will end up about 1/2 inch from the front of the stand.

The board:
I used a 2 foot by 4 foot 1 inch thick pressed particle board from the lumber company, and had them cut the board to the shape I needed. The cost was $15 for the board and $5 to make the cuts. Check that the thickness of the board is almost exactly 1 inch thick. Mine was about 4-8 thousandths of an inch thicker than the 2 side pieces of the stand (the base rests on both the filler and the 2 side pieces simultaneously, and I did not want to warp the base). Note: If you want, you can add about a 1 inch tab at the rear of the board 28 3/8 inch wide to support the rear base ovehang.

Here are the dimensions of my finished board:

Depth: 14 1/2 inch (total 15 1/2 inch if you add the 1 inch tab mentioned above)

Front width: 39 1/4 inch

Rear width: 28 3/8 inch

Diagonal cuts on each rear side of the board have to be made to match the recessed area in the stand: Measure back from the front 5 3/32 inches and draw a line across the board. This section is all 39 1/4 inch wide. Now draw 2 lines from the ends of this line to the rear -intersecting the 2 ends of the 28 3/8 wide board at the rear. Cut off the 2 slices so the board narrows toward the rear, matching the stand cutout. A cardboard template matching the bottom of the base is shown in photo 7255 and 7256. I have drawn the Board outline on the template so the relative size difference can be seen.

The front of the set will end up sitting on top of the trim piece. The trim piece has no support beneath it. As mentioned above, I recommend you provide base support at the front of the stand - to do this I plan to put some kind of filler blocks under the trim piece.

This is easy to do, works out well and looks natural -- the set simply sits on top of the stand. The board is covered by the wide base except for 2 small exposed wedges at the rear, as shown in 2 additional photos in an added post on the next page.



KT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTTV Images View Post

It worked well and was easy to do once I had the cutout made to drop into the opening in the stand. The downside is that the TV base overhangs the back 1 inch and overhangs the support given by the front of cutout board by about 3- 4 inches ( the front of the base rests on the trim piece in the front of the stand). I consider this acceptable but others may feel this isn't enough support for the front of the TV. I plan to put filler blocks betwen the table top and the trim piece to hold the weight of the TV in case it starts to tip foreward.

I do not have pictures of the cutout piece or the set on the stand, but the XBR2 simply sits on top of the entire stand with the cutout board completely covered by the new wider base. If anyone is interested I can list the dimensions of the board I cut to drop into the stand.


LL
LL
LL
post #796 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post

Do you have a link to the rankings?

At the end of the article it states Gary Merson's new website is at www.hdguru.com but the link does not work (yet).
post #797 of 12039
Do you know if the speakers can be removed on the 60" model?
post #798 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyKnight View Post

Do you know if the speakers can be removed on the 60" model?


How good are you with a "Dremil"??

The 70" side speakers are removable by design. The 60" isn't.

However, there is a forum member who removed the non removable side speakers from an XBR1 a few months ago. I wouldn't recommend it as who knows what wires you might be shorting out causing a system failure.
post #799 of 12039
Anyone consider the StudioTech U-22T stand? Looks like a beautiful stand if you can afford it
post #800 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher8 View Post

Just curious...wondering what stands are you lucky owners of the 70 using?

The one from Sony doesn't look like it gives much space once I put my Center Speaker in!!!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...8/amazoncom045

I chose this one from Bello. However, I am using it for the 60 in XBR2.

http://www.audio-video-furniture.com...2-TV-Stand.htm
post #801 of 12039
KTTV- thank you....if you get a moment, maybe you can post a shot of the tv on your stand. Thanks for your time!
post #802 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by netvizier View Post

Hi All,

I am planning on purchasing the new 60" XBR2 SXRD as soon as I have made a decision on the stand and the location of the center channel speaker. This has proven to be a source of frustration because very few stands seem to have a centrally located shelf tall enough (8.5") for the center speaker. I have found one stand that seems to fit the bill but I am concerned that it may be too tall. The stand is from BDI and it is called the Icon 9429, available for your review via the following link:

BDI Icon 9429 TV Stand

The dimensions of the stand are: 23.5"H x 62"W x 20.5"D. The 60" XBR2 SXRD is 40.6" H so that the top of the TV on this stand would be at just about 64". Furthermore, the width of the TV is 67" so it would be overhanging the stand by about 5 inches.

1) Is this too tall? I'm confused about this because many of the floorstanding rear-projection 60" TVs wind up being about this high. Please explain.

2) Is this wide enough? Is it important for the stand to be at least as wide as the TV?

3) I've also been thinking about the Omnimount CCH-1 for use on top of the TV. Is this a good idea? I am concerned about damaging the TV with the weight of the stand and the speaker, or by the vibrations from the speaker. By the way, my center channel speaker is 34.5 pounds. If the speaker is too heavy, I might consider putting lighter-weight AV component up there.

4) Other than the height, what do you all think of this stand for the 60" XBR2 SXRD?

Thank you,

nv

I got this stand. It was a bit of a compromise. I really wanted to DIY a stand. It is a bit less than optimal in that I think it is ever-so-slightly to tall at 21" (see previous posts for my seating config) and the center channel has to go on the lower shelf. My 7" SVS center has a nice base that allows me to tilt the speaker up a bit. To my ears, the lower position of center is not problematic at all. The distance between the shelves is 8.5" (actually 8 5/8") so I don't know if your center would work. It was inexpensive and fast shipping from racks and stands.
post #803 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post

Do you have a link to the rankings?


Here is a link to the article.

http://hometheatermag.com/hookmeup/1106hook/

Please note howerver. He did not do any calibration for these tests. Nor did he use the known LPF fix for the Sony A2000. He mentions it. After he does the tests. Cnet and Sound and Vision both did this before they reviewed the A2000. At least he said it passed the tests after the fix.
post #804 of 12039
Has anyone who is exchanging their defective XBR1 received their replacement XBR2, or at least received a firm ship date? Sony is giving me the run around saying they do not have the XBR2's in their warehouse, even though I was told by customer service that I would be one of the first to receive their new set. When I mentioned that customers who ordered from SonyStyle have received their sets, they told me they are a different "Entity"...uh....okay. So as it stands my TV is not in their warehouse and they have no estimated time for delivery.
post #805 of 12039
Is this a stand thread? I thought I saw a stand thread elsewhere (hint).
post #806 of 12039
I had an SXRB1 that died back in early August. After 6 weeks of trying to get an OB to fix it, Sony decided they would replace with SXRB2 which I did receive last week. I will say the picture was much improved right out of the box...no adjustments had been made.
post #807 of 12039
Just an FYI, 60in XBR2 is now on Circuit Citys Web Page. Also Cambridge Sound works is doing 10% of the 60in XBR2, check the webpage, they also have B&M locations.
post #808 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlpetrozelli View Post

I have found using the Silverstar that the picture will look clearer just by moving the antenna left or right a bit, especially on PBS, if I switch over to cable, it looks a little softer.


Sounds like your talking about analog NTSC video...not digital HDTV.
post #809 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post


Gaming (XBox/XBox 360/PS2/etc.)
Anyone give gaming a shot? Howzit look? The first time I saw the XBox 1.0 on a Samsung DLP, I was absolutely blown away -- and I have one playing on my Mitsubishi CRT 73711! The difference was spectacular. I'm curious if this super-awesome gaming is inherent to other digital TVs, or DLPs in specific.

Thanks!

-Pie


EP - Although I'm not an owner of an xbr2 I feel comfortably chiming in on your question based on other things I've read.

AVBill in another thread did extensive testing using the a2000 and seemed completely pleased with his results.

I hope this helps:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=684899
post #810 of 12039
Quote:


Sounds like your talking about analog NTSC video...not digital HDTV.

can't say, but it does come through in 16:9 HD 1080i per my Mits i.e. local HD versions of ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Official Sony XBR2 (60" & 70") Owner's Thread