or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Official Sony XBR2 (60" & 70") Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony XBR2 (60" & 70") Owner's Thread - Page 29

post #841 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclfoxtrot View Post

Has anyone who is exchanging their defective XBR1 received their replacement XBR2, or at least received a firm ship date? Sony is giving me the run around saying they do not have the XBR2's in their warehouse, even though I was told by customer service that I would be one of the first to receive their new set. When I mentioned that customers who ordered from SonyStyle have received their sets, they told me they are a different "Entity"...uh....okay. So as it stands my TV is not in their warehouse and they have no estimated time for delivery.


Well i have been talking to the sony exchange department and my replacement tv has shipped wensday at 10am from pittsburg by a shipping company called NVC i have the tracking number and called and confirmend it will arrive in flordia next week wensday the 18th and they will call me to set up a time to deliver the set. So i should be getting it by thursday or friday the same week.

I can not wait..... I would call sony and tell them there full of it cuz they replacement deparment has shipped my tv already
post #842 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenGhoti View Post

Is there much of a break-in period on the bulbs in these sets? I'm pretty certain my set has gotten noticeably darker, all on its own, over the past two days or so. I've not changed any setting more than one or two ticks in the past 48 hours, so I'm pretty sure I didn't do it.

I ask because, while looking at the screen carefully for the previous post, I'm finding that I have a lot of stuff lost in dark areas that I didn't have when I first worked out my settings. Either my external source was bad when I worked them out, or something has changed internally.

(I've checked iris, power saving, biases, gains, brightness and contrast, black enhance, color temp, color matrix, gamma, live color... missing anything?)

I don't know AikenGhoti. Maybe? But I have noted black crush since day 1 and I still haven't worked it out. It is definitely worse with some sources but I have noticed it enough to want to tweak it in HD cable, some SD, and SD DVD (batman begins worse than fargo) through the Tosh HD A1.

I am also trying to live with my settings for a few days to get a good sense of things. I have them pretty much where l liked them on Sunday evening except I did change the DRC palette as per KTTVs earlier post. I still want to try adjusting the color matrix but haven't yet. So still with that at default and white balance at default, for me, it is no-way-Jose on bumping the hue up to G +2 or even +1. Also, I am keeping the brightness pretty level at 52ish. Much higher more turns the blacks gray than helps with the crush and washes out everything else. I still have my color turned down about 42.

So my wish list for tweaking right now is to:

1. decrease black crush
2. tone down the reds a little so that I can bump up the rest of the colors a bit
3. maximize pq on sd (if that is even possible, if not I am OK using twin view)

I think we do need a settings thread, but since there is so interdependent settings I wonder if we should hold off for another week or so while some more owners (esp novices like me) get a better sense of things.

I had to move a bunch of things around to accomodate this big girl and am awaiting a longer HDMI cable for the DVD player which got moved to the back corner of the room. When that comes I hope to do more testing using the HD net file. I also hear that DVE is coming out in a HD format--I am tempted to pony up for that since Avia seems a bit out dated.
post #843 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBergan View Post

I'll have to double check, but since its a 1080p input, is that what is selected by the XBR2 by default?

The default will be 709. But you can modify this from the menu on the left side of the main user menu-near the bottom--Color matrix . Check under cutom settings for 1080p.


Quote:


I just used the CNET settings from their A2000 test. Again, this is one of the settings that I think you need instrumentation to get right. I can think of all kinds of reasons why these settings probably aren't correct for the XBR2 - probably a different light engine, settings should be sensitive to all the other settings of contrast/brightness/color temp/etc. But they do seem to tame the colors a little bit. I did set them first, and then go back and adjust the other settings.

The seting for white balance will be entirely different for each XBR2 set. There is virtually no point in copying CNets values for these settings. You really have to do this ..by experience.. for your specific set. And the choice yiou make should have nothing to do with red push behavior, Choices must be rmade to achieve the closest to 6500K white balance for white levels over the whole brightnes range. The red puh will then fall out from that choice. Lastly, Red push then needs to be corrected by entering into the sevice menu. in lew of that, adjusting the color level downward is the next best compromise we have.

KT
post #844 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post

I'm having mine done by David Abrams of Avical (http://www.avical.com). I asked specifically if they have done any Sony SXRDs and was assured they had done 2006 models but by the way he wrote it I have a feeling he meant the A series sets and not an XBR2. It'll be done next month and my 60" XBR2 will be delivered on Saturday so I need to test it all out to make sure there aren't any abnormalities and I'm willing to proceed with the one I get. I'm sure it will be great though!

The key to wheather he can set up you XBR2 is if he has the experience with the XBR2 to adjust the red push after setting up the white balance over the full 100IRE gay scale range. And if you have misconvergence , does he have the experence to know if he can adjust the H and V misconvergence from the service menu. If the set has been arround for say 6 months he woulf be expected to know how to do these ..assuuming sony provoded the necessarry SM controls.

KT
post #845 of 12039
Burn In;

For the new owners of the XBR2 I recommend you turn on the set and burn it in for 100 hours--essentially leave it on for 4 days -day and night. This is a type of procedure taken by many manufacturers to weed out embryonic parts failures and will help stabilize the light engine and XBR2 panels.

The value of this test, really, is to help you assess if the set is likely to fail after some time period that may come after your 30 day trial period. The procedure is essentially an accelerated aging test. In the manufacturing environment, such tests are usually run under harsh environmental conditions, but that is unrealistic to do in the home.

Opinion.. based on some years experience in the Engineering and Manufacturing real world.

KT
post #846 of 12039
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTTV Images View Post

Burn In;

For the new owners of the XBR2 I recommend you turn on the set and burn it in for 100 hours--essentially leave it on for 4 days -day and night. This is a type of procedure taken by many manufacturers to weed out embryonic parts failures and will help stabilize the light engine and XBR2 panels.

The value of this test, really, is to help you assess if the set is likely to fail after some time period that may come after your 30 day trial period. The procedure is essentially an accelerated aging test. In the manufacturing environment, such tests are usually run under harsh environmental conditions, but that is unrealistic to do in the home.

Opinion.. based on some years experience in the Engineering and Manufacturing real world.

KT

Burning in has definetely made my picture smoother. There is less noise and less artifacts in the pq, even without making any adjustments.
post #847 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post

Burning in has definetely made my picture smoother. There is less noise and less artifacts in the pq, even without making any adjustments.

Sounds like an unexpected result. But I am happy to here it went in a positive direction.

KT
post #848 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofargone View Post

So still with that at default and white balance at default, for me, it is no-way-Jose on bumping the hue up to G +2 or even +1.

Actually, the G 2 setting is only if you have Live Color enabled. Unfortunately, I've found that Live Color changes far more than just fleshtones, which was my initial impression of its purpose. I've turned it off and put my Hue back to 0. Although Live Color did help with some fleshtones, it was actually making a lot of them worse.

Time will tell if the out-of-whack fleshtones we sometimes see will be enough of a problem to make me go back.
post #849 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTTV Images View Post

The key to wheather he can set up you XBR2 is if he has the experience with the XBR2 to adjust the red push after setting up the white balance over the full 100IRE gay scale range. And if you have misconvergence , does he have the experence to know if he can adjust the H and V misconvergence from the service menu. If the set has been arround for say 6 months he woulf be expected to know how to do these ..assuuming sony provoded the necessarry SM controls.

KT

Earlier posts have shown that the A series and XBR2 SM aren't that different. Abrams has a good reputation around the forum so I trust him and his expensive equipment to ISF my set.
post #850 of 12039
I just put in an order for the 60" KDS60XBR2 and a 42" Panny Plasma 42PX600U. Hopefully, it will ship soon and I can tell you guys how my experience was. I was just going to only order the XBR2, but the wifey wanted a plasma for the bedroom too. Keeping my fingers crossed!
post #851 of 12039
I got to check out the 60" xbr2 at the SonyStyle store in Berlin a few days ago. I thought the picture quality was very good but I think those dumbo ears are pretty much ridiculous (unfortunately). If I want something that is going to take up that much real estate, I might as well just get a 70" with no ears. I was really planning on buying a 60" xbr2 until I saw one in the store and am now a bit undecided what to do.
post #852 of 12039
Possible differences in Lens Quality -- Lens focus:

I just today formed the distinct impression that there may be a difference in Focus of the XBR panels on the A2000, XBR1 and XBR2 60 inch sets.

When I look closely (for my reading glasses this means about 8-10 inches away) at the screen of my XBR2 it seems as if I see the pixels more clearly than I remember when I looked at my XBR1 screen.

Today I had the same impression at Fry's when looking at a new XBR2. So I decided to look at their XBR1 and two a2000's sets down the isle. What I saw seemed to confirm my impression. Clearly I found the pixels on the a2000 no where near as well in focus..very hard to see them in fact -on 2 sets.

Statistics would show I need to make at least 6-7 similar observations to spot a trend, and I have only a sample size off 2 , so these observations are not very scientific and could be totaly incorrect if i looked carefully at more set samples.

So, The question is this: Has anyone else seen this difference?

If so it may indeed indicate there are better lenses in the XBR1 and XBR2 --possibly even better on the XBR2. And the observation on the a2000 may help explain why --to my eye --the Hawaii loop images have appeared softer.

KT
post #853 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydust View Post

I got to check out the 60" xbr2 at the SonyStyle store in Berlin a few days ago. I thought the picture quality was very good but I think those dumbo ears are pretty much ridiculous (unfortunately). If I want something that is going to take up that much real estate, I might as well just get a 70" with no ears. I was really planning on buying a 60" xbr2 until I saw one in the store and am now a bit undecided what to do.


I think you just answered your own question there. The 70" is the ultimate TV in my opinion. You won't find a better picture anywhere.
post #854 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan14 View Post

Center channel speaker supports have been discussed a couple of times in this thread. You might try looking back in the thread a couple of days -- someone suggested using a wall mount stand for a CRT TV that had an adjustable tilt whose length was adjustable to fit speaker width. The post included a link to the stand manufacturer's website. This is probably what I will use .. after I decide on a new TV.

I posted a couple times about the CC mounting for XBR2s, in posts 326:
http://=http://www.avsforum.com/avs-...90#post8583590

and 602:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...09#post8615510

Someone posted here that they really liked their Sanus CRT TV wall mount they used for this purpose:
http://www.sanus.com/cgi-bin/web_sto...d=2300494_2817

But whatever you do, do not use a "TV Top Shelf" like the ones Sanus offers, or the Omnimount, on an SXRD XBR2 (or XBR1, for that matter) - you just don't want to risk any distortion of the back of the set over time from the pressure of those stubby legs that are used to support the back of those shelves.

A CRT TV wall-mount, or a shelf hung off the wall is probably the way to go in most situations. Hanging the speaker by wires or building a bridge are usually secondary choices but are something to keep in your back pocket in just in case the first two won't work for your particular logistics.

Cheers,
-3Gun
post #855 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydust View Post

If I want something that is going to take up that much real estate, I might as well just get a 70" with no ears.

So cost is no object? Good for you. I bet you can find an even more expensive TV that fits in that same space. Unfortunately I will probably get the 60" because it's $3K cheaper than the 70".
post #856 of 12039
[size=2]Last February (2006) after a 15 year wait for HDTV to be good enough to bring into my home, and extensive research in stores and on the internet, I finally decided to buy the 60 inch SXRD XBR1. I went so far as to give the store a $1,500.00 deposit (CDN). But three things made me not go through with the deal:

1. The idea that despite the advertised 1080p capability, the TV could not take a 1080p signal through any of its inputs;

2. To my eye, the TV display still was not as razor sharp as a $5,000.00 TV should be.

3. Despite the salespersons' contentions, in the end I could not convince myself that I was getting the best TV on the market for the money I was planning to spend (about $5,000.00 CDN).

So I decided to wait for the XBR2's, especially since all the obsessive techophiles on the internet were suggesting that the next version of the SXRD XBR RPTV would have 1080p input capability through HDMI at least.

Now that the new beast has been released, and after reviewing this thread, I have some remaining questions before I actually pull the trigger on this thing:

1. There has been a lot of discussion on this thread about the right settings for this TV. Subscribers have provided elaborate configurations schemes for getting the most out of the TV. Look, I have three kids between 7 and 10 years old, who I hope would be able to enjoy this TV without fiddling with it too much (actually they would not have a clue how to fiddle with the settings to make them optimal).

Question: is there a way to enjoy this TV without fiddling with the settings- in other words, can the TV simply be turned on and enjoyed, or do you have to be a rocket scientist to get the best out of it?

2. While I always liked the Sony Trinitron picture tube, I never liked the overscan issues with sets having that tube. Whenever I watched a Sony TV, at least in the early 90's, I got the impression that I was never seeing 100% of the image as broadcast or inputted into the TV. I always had the impression that a thin band maybe 1/4 inch wide along the border of the screen was taken from the image. I HATED THIS TENDENCY IN SONY SETS since I did not like being shortchanged with my display immage.

I looked for this problem in the XBR1 and after many side by side comparisons between it and other sets, it appeared to me that it was minimal or non-existant and that Sony had finally cured its TVs' of overscan and produced one of the fullest images on the market. A review of this thread suggests that there is a genuine issue of overscan with the XBR2s.

Question; Is the overscan issue there in the XBR SXRD sets. Is it there in XBR1's and is it any worse with XBR2's? If it is there, can it be defeated? Should this be a deal-breaker for me?


3. Some subscribers have suggested that the XBR2's display is not as sharp and/or detailed as the XBR1's display, this despite Sony's contention that the XBR2 has a better display and more advanced technology than the XBR1 and the improved 1080p abilities of the XBR2.

Question. I have not seen these sets side by side. Is there a difference in what the eye can see in terms of sharpness and detail between the XBR1 and XBR2 and is the XBR2 and improvement over the XBR1, speaking solely on the basis of what the viewer will see?

4. Question. The XBR1 had a marvellous 3D effect with HDTV (Detroit Public Television for example). Is the same 3D effect found in the XBR2s?


5. Final Question: The same dealer also carries Panasonics. I thought about getting the Panasonic 58 inch 600 series new plasma that Panasonic just put out instead of the SXRD. To my eye, the display is sharper but not as 3D as the Sony SXRD XBR. Can any of you tell me why I should not get the Panny instead of the Sony?

Even though I did not go through with the deal. i decided to leave my deposit with the dealer and simply wait until the new SXRD XBR2s arrived before making my decision. The dealer is happy. He has had my deposit for 8 months without me having received anything in return, while I make up my mind about which TV to buy.

Please help me with these issues. I have been agonizing more than 10 years about buying the best TV that money can buy (within reason...I won't spend $10,000.00 on technology that is constantly changing and going down in price) and its time my family stopped watching that 20 inch trinitron postage stamp in our 20' by 14' family room. What has been stopping me from buying has always been the thought that despite the advances made in these technologies, nothing has ever ben able to match the CRT's for sharpness and durability and overall image quality. In short, these new technologies, Plasma, LCD, DLP, RPTV LCOS and SXRD are still quite flawed and far from perfect. So maybe it is better to wait than buy something flawed.

But I'm tired of watching a postage stamp....IT'S TIME FOR A BIG SCREEN IN MY HOUSE. My youngest is now wearing glasses. I think its in part because he has been watching the 20 inch postage stamp for most of his seven years.

Please help me make my decision on a big screen TV and rescue my children's eyesight!

Undecided Lawyer
post #857 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFunBoater View Post

So cost is no object? Good for you. I bet you can find an even more expensive TV that fits in that same space. Unfortunately I will probably get the 60" because it's $3K cheaper than the 70".

F.Y.I. The cost difference between the 60" and 70" can be half that amount if you go to the right place (and I'm talking about a B&M Store, not an online site or Ebay auction). See my post #649
post #858 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTTV Images View Post

Burn In;

For the new owners of the XBR2 I recommend you turn on the set and burn it in for 100 hours--essentially leave it on for 4 days -day and night. This is a type of procedure taken by many manufacturers to weed out embryonic parts failures and will help stabilize the light engine and XBR2 panels.

The value of this test, really, is to help you assess if the set is likely to fail after some time period that may come after your 30 day trial period. The procedure is essentially an accelerated aging test. In the manufacturing environment, such tests are usually run under harsh environmental conditions, but that is unrealistic to do in the home.

Opinion.. based on some years experience in the Engineering and Manufacturing real world.

Cool!...I'm in the same city..dude. Anyho...should one burn in the TV immediately once its turn on or make picture adjustments first then burn in?
post #859 of 12039
I saw the 60" and 70" side by side yesterday and I must agree the 60" has a sharper/better picture than the 70". In fact until I got a hold of the remote the 70" looked dreadful. It certainly leaves a lot to be desired "out of the box". It's like they've pushed the 70" screen beyond its technical capabilities. The 60" seem to be the best overall balance in my opinion. I do feel there has been improvements with motion artifacts in the 70". I did see the red push Sony is so known for too. The other thing that was disturbing was the 70" would loose lock about every 30 seconds and go black. It was the only one in the bunch that was doing it.

I may still go for the 70" but I wasn't as impressed a I thought I'd be. I love the 006 and I figured they would get a bit closer in PQ with the XBR2. On the other hand the 70" is pretty nice especially at dealer net. At least its down in the, "doesn't hurt as bad", territory when he comes time to replace it in a couple of years. I think Sony might have been in a bit of a rush to get this particular T.V. to market.

Ted.
post #860 of 12039
Interesting article about HD resolution testing.

Are You Getting All of the HDTV Resolution You Were Expecting?

The only Sony LCoS set tested was the A2000. It passed the 1080i deinterlacing test, but failed the HD 3:2 film cadence test (as did 80% of the tested sets).

"A good internal processor should use a method called HD inverse telecine to recognize like frames and reconstruct them for a 60-frame-per-second display using a 3:2 cadence. If the processor reconstructs the image properly, you'll see all 2-million-plus pixels of information in the original source material (on a 1080p display) ... Without HD inverse telecine, the television's processor may discard up to half of the image resolution...during horizontal pans." For standard def 3:2 pull down is a given, but I guess not so for HD.

It also failed the bandwidth test but according to the article, "since I measured the sets, Sony claims to have made a production change in their latest 1080p rear projector (KDS-50A2000) to correct its failure in the test."

I wonder if the SXRD XBR2 has proper HD inverse telecine? The 46XBR2 LCD apparently doesn't, as it also failed the cadence test. But the cheaper Sony LCD's did pass (huh?).

Maybe a good HD video processor, such as the VP50 like Eric has, is needed for optimal HD PQ.
post #861 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted C View Post

I saw the 60" and 70" side by side yesterday and I must agree the 60" has a sharper/better picture than the 70". In fact until I got a hold of the remote the 70" looked dreadful. It certainly leaves a lot to be desired "out of the box". It's like they've pushed the 70" screen beyond its technical capabilities. The 60" seem to be the best overall balance in my opinion. I do feel there has been improvements with motion artifacts in the 70". I did see the red push Sony is so known for too. The other thing that was disturbing was the 70" would loose lock about every 30 seconds and go black. It was the only one in the bunch that was doing it.

I may still go for the 70" but I wasn't as impressed a I thought I'd be. I love the 006 and I figured they would get a bit closer in PQ with the XBR2. On the other hand the 70" is pretty nice especially at dealer net. At least its down in the, "doesn't hurt as bad", territory when he comes time to replace it in a couple of years. I think Sony might have been in a bit of a rush to get this particular T.V. to market.

Ted.

Hi Ted...it doesn't seem like anyone here has sent their 70" back! My take is that most posting here are "technogeeks" (like myself), and enjoy going through and tweaking and peaking their set's settings. I would like to hear from anyone who has a 70" that feels the picture is "dreadful", as I just ordered one myself!
post #862 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue 911 View Post

I wonder if the SXRD XBR2 has proper HD inverse telecine? The 46XBR2 LCD apparently doesn't, as it also failed the cadence test. But the cheaper Sony LCD's did pass (huh?).

Given that Cinemotion seems to be the 3:2 pulldown, and that Cinemotion is only available for 480i, I'm personally leaning towards thinking there's no 1080i 3:2 pulldown.
post #863 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBergan View Post

I'll have to double check, but since its a 1080p input, is (ITU709) what is selected by the XBR2 by default?

Ah, yes. Good point.

Quote:


I have iris on auto 2, and power saving on auto which is the same as on for me. But now that I think about it this morning, I should probably go back with a fixed iris setting and look at black levels again - maybe the test screen is kicking in the dynamic iris...

I think that's very possible. Does it have bright areas, or is it largely dark?
post #864 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOlawyer View Post

...three things made me not go through with the deal:

1. ... the TV could not take a 1080p signal through any of its inputs;

2. ...not as razor sharp as a $5,000.00 TV should be.

3. ...getting the best TV on the market for the money I was planning to spend (about $5,000.00 CDN).

Question: is there a way to enjoy this TV without fiddling with the settings- in other words, can the TV simply be turned on and enjoyed, or do you have to be a rocket scientist to get the best out of it?

Question; Is the overscan issue there in the XBR SXRD sets. Is it there in XBR1's and is it any worse with XBR2's? If it is there, can it be defeated? Should this be a deal-breaker for me?

Question. I have not seen these sets side by side. Is there a difference in what the eye can see in terms of sharpness and detail between the XBR1 and XBR2 and is the XBR2 and improvement over the XBR1, speaking solely on the basis of what the viewer will see?

Question. ...Is the same 3D effect found in the XBR2s?

Final Question: ...To my eye, the display is sharper but not as 3D as the Sony SXRD XBR. Can any of you tell me why I should not get the Panny instead of the Sony?

Whoa, I counted a lot more questions in there than you did!

It sounds like you are seeking a TV that...

- can take 1080p through at least one input
- has a sharp picture
- is the 'best' $5000 TV on the market
- does not require a lot of tuning to have a great picture
- does not suffer from overscan
- provdes a good 3D effect

Condensed like that, I have to say it looks to me like a RPTV is not for you.

Since you did not specify a specific size (execpt that it be a 'big screen') you aren't going to meet these criteria with any of the SXRD RPTVs. SOOooooo,...

IMO your best bet is to go with a FP direct-view set, and at that price-limit in the current market it will probably be an LCD, in a 52" size. Say what you will about the relative merits of LCD vs Plasma vs LCoS, but in that price range only a flat-panel LCD will give you 1080p, per-pixel-no-overscan, and a geometry distortion-free image (to enhance the 3D effect). Don't worry about constant adlustment; most all the HD sets these days will give you a generally great picture after fiddling with the settings for a while (how long that is is up to you!) but a lot of folks here are tweak-happy perfectionists some of the time at least, so don't let the constant barrage of adjustment-talk here make you think you HAVE to constantly fiddle!

Since the price of 1080p plasma in +50 sizes is still over your budget and will remain so for a while yet, I'd say that for right now. the new 52" Sharp LC-52D62u will, after a period of fiddling, adjustment, etc. work well for you. It has 1080P input, per-pixel zero-overscan, is in your price range, and is a true FP. No, it's not perfect (and no display is, but you are budget-limited, after all), it's not a Sony or an XBR, and from the posts I've seen it DOES take a lot of fiddling to get the picture optimal (hint: get it ISF'd by a Pro!)- but it's bigger than 50" and I think you'll be happier with that than an SXRD, based on your priorities as I see 'em in your post. And no, I'm not particularly a Sharp fan nor have I seen one of these specifically, but I've liked some of their 1080p sets and I'm hearing good things about them here on the forums so it's a good bet.

Hope that helps you and that your retailer carries them!
-3Gun
post #865 of 12039
I probably need to restate my "out of the box" comment to "the way this one was set up or I guess, not set up." After tweaking it was much better. Before this it was truly dreadful, in fact, embarrasing. I still felt the 60" was an all around great T.V. for the money. I just know they will improve the 70" dramatically in the next year and drop the price a grand. That's the mode Sony is in.

My biggest complaint really has nothing to do with the display device. It's the networks/cable companies that drive me crazy with their inconsistent broadcasts. A lot of the time the T.V.'s are getting blamed unjustly. One of the adjustments I had to make was to completely kill the sharpness on the 70" because of Cox Cable's over processing.

I'm a techno geek too and have had, and installed, many high end display devices. I'm going to another store that has one tomorrow. Maybe the one I saw was in less than stellar condition.

Ted.
www.upstairsproductions.com
post #866 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Gun View Post

Whoa, I counted a lot more questions in there than you did!

It sounds like you are seeking a TV that...

- can take 1080p through at least one input
- has a sharp picture
- is the 'best' $5000 TV on the market
- does not require a lot of tuning to have a great picture
- does not suffer from overscan
- provdes a good 3D effect

Condensed like that, I have to say it looks to me like a RPTV is not for you.

Since you did not specify a specific size (execpt that it be a 'big screen') you aren't going to meet these criteria with any of the SXRD RPTVs. SOOooooo,...

IMO your best bet is to go with a FP direct-view set, and at that price-limit in the current market it will probably be an LCD, in a 52" size. Say what you will about the relative merits of LCD vs Plasma vs LCoS, but in that price range only a flat-panel LCD will give you 1080p, per-pixel-no-overscan, and a geometry distortion-free image (to enhance the 3D effect). Don't worry about constant adlustment; most all the HD sets these days will give you a generally great picture after fiddling with the settings for a while (how long that is is up to you!) but a lot of folks here are tweak-happy perfectionists some of the time at least, so don't let the constant barrage of adjustment-talk here make you think you HAVE to constantly fiddle!

Since the price of 1080p plasma in +50 sizes is still over your budget and will remain so for a while yet, I'd say that for right now. the new 52" Sharp LC-52D62u will, after a period of fiddling, adjustment, etc. work well for you. It has 1080P input, per-pixel zero-overscan, is in your price range, and is a true FP. No, it's not perfect (and no display is, but you are budget-limited, after all), it's not a Sony or an XBR, and from the posts I've seen it DOES take a lot of fiddling to get the picture optimal (hint: get it ISF'd by a Pro!)- but it's bigger than 50" and I think you'll be happier with that than an SXRD, based on your priorities as I see 'em in your post. And no, I'm not particularly a Sharp fan nor have I seen one of these specifically, but I've liked some of their 1080p sets and I'm hearing good things about them here on the forums so it's a good bet.

Hope that helps you and that your retailer carries them!
-3Gun

You are amazing!

You summarized my concerns beautifully.

Well you did with one exception...I WOULD BE WILLING TO PAY MORE THAN $5,000.00 CDN FOR THE SAKE OF GETTING THE BEST PICTURE WITHIN REASON FROM A TV, even $6,000.00 or $7,000.00.

I hear Sony is coming out next month with a 52 inch 1080p LCD (Bravia) of its own. How about that one....also what about the Panasonic 58 or 50 inch plasmas?

Thanks for your prompt response.

ToLawyer
post #867 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOlawyer View Post

You are amazing!

You summarized my concerns beautifully.

Well you did with one exception...I WOULD BE WILLING TO PAY MORE THAN $5,000.00 CDN FOR THE SAKE OF GETTING THE BEST PICTURE WITHIN REASON FROM A TV, even $6,000.00 or $7,000.00.

I hear Sony is coming out next month with a 52 inch 1080p LCD (Bravia) of its own. How about that one....also what about the Panasonic 58 or 50 inch plasmas?

Thanks for your prompt response.

ToLawyer

Heh, well I myself am teetering between SXRD and LCD, and what's nagging at me lately are overscan issues with SXRDs (and RPTVs in general).

I did qualify my recommendation with a 'right now'; the Sony 52" isn't out yet and when they are their price will be well over your previous (and the Sharp's !) range. So while I can't know or predict how that's going to compare, precisely, it will no doubt share at least some of the attibutes of the 46" XBR2 panels. If this is so, it will do some things better and some things worse that the Sharp D62u. But that debate is theoretical at this time, and actually belongs over in the KDL-XXXBR2 or LC-XXD62u threads in these AVS forums, and not here in the SXRD XBR2 owners thread...as does discussion of the merits and cons of the Pannys (and they're not 1080p anyway).

But for ultimate picture the SXRD XBR2s are right there, drawbacks and all.

Salut,
-3Gun

"Welcome to The Dilemma"
post #868 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOlawyer View Post

[size=2]Please help me make my decision on a big screen TV and rescue my children's eyesight!

Undecided Lawyer

Dude you sound just like me. I am waiting to see the KDS-R**XBR2 in person at the local store. If the SOB's allow me to bring in my xbox 360 to play hockey & view a SD&HD hockey broadcast on it odd's are I will walk out owing one of these set's. Keep in mind it is your kid's eye's. I mean you aint going to live forever. If I was a lier, err I mean a lawyer sorry I coudlnt resist. heheh just shrug charge one of your customer's a few extra billable hour's to help pay for your shiny new set.


heh a fellow fence sitter trying to give you a push of the fence.


Dresden
post #869 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeZombiez View Post

Cool!...I'm in the same city..dude. Anyho...should one burn in the TV immediately once its turn on or make picture adjustments first then burn in?

It doesn't matter. The idea is to get the 100 hours over well before your 30 day trial is ended, or before you pay for any possible ISF tech. visit. Four days continuously heats things up and gets it over with. Adjust and use as usual during the 4 days.


KT
post #870 of 12039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted C View Post

I saw the 60" and 70" side by side yesterday and I must agree the 60" has a sharper/better picture than the 70". In fact until I got a hold of the remote the 70" looked dreadful. It certainly leaves a lot to be desired "out of the box". It's like they've pushed the 70" screen beyond its technical capabilities. The 60" seem to be the best overall balance in my opinion. I do feel there has been improvements with motion artifacts in the 70". I did see the red push Sony is so known for too. The other thing that was disturbing was the 70" would loose lock about every 30 seconds and go black. It was the only one in the bunch that was doing it.

I may still go for the 70" but I wasn't as impressed a I thought I'd be. I love the 006 and I figured they would get a bit closer in PQ with the XBR2. On the other hand the 70" is pretty nice especially at dealer net. At least its down in the, "doesn't hurt as bad", territory when he comes time to replace it in a couple of years. I think Sony might have been in a bit of a rush to get this particular T.V. to market.

Ted.

I would expect the 60 and 70 inch sets to have identical picture quality --they seem to have the same insides - including I expect, the same 180 watt light engine--but a different lens/lens focal distance.

Try the idea I mentioned a few posts above--and look at the focus sharpness of individual pixels on the these 2 screen sizes. -And look for chromatic abberation differences . That should put to bed part of the lens differences if any. If the lense are the same quality I think the picture quality should be equal.

KT
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Official Sony XBR2 (60" & 70") Owner's Thread