or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Dexter on SHO
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dexter on SHO - Page 9

post #241 of 6855
So for ppl who read the books, is the identity of the ITK the same?

Or is it more complex than a yes/no answer?

Without spoiling any future developments.
post #242 of 6855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phod View Post

So for ppl who read the books, is the identity of the ITK the same?

Or is it more complex than a yes/no answer?

Without spoiling any future developments.

Not enough info to say just yet. They've already detoured from the character quite a lot...but his 'identity' could still be the same. I will say no more.
post #243 of 6855
I agree that we don't yet know enough about the ITK killer's background to say how similar the series character is to the character in the first Dexter book, Darkly Dreaming Dexter.
post #244 of 6855
Did anyone else notice the similarities with Dexter and the ITK? Take the sex scenes for example. What was Dexter's sister saying while she and the ITK were getting it on? She was asking him not to leave her. Now fast forward to Dexter and Rita getting it on. What was she saying to Dexter? She was asking him not to leave her. I think the writers used the sex scenes to help tell a story rather than just gratuitous t&a. I'm guessing Dex and the ITK have more in common besides being serial killers. But WTF, I guess I was wrong about the lozenges. I guess he just had a cold.
post #245 of 6855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteki View Post

Not enough info to say just yet. They've already detoured from the character quite a lot...but his 'identity' could still be the same. I will say no more.

Yes, they have, but the door is still open for a great reveal at season's end. I can't wait for next season.
post #246 of 6855
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

He was "playing" with Dexter before he started dating the sister.

I think the ITK courted the sister because of Dexter. I believe this is an effort to get closer to Dexter to toy with him more.

There has to be some kind of twist regarding the ITK. Likely something in the past that happened between the ITK and Dexter and/or his family; probably something with Harry.
post #247 of 6855
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesflames View Post

Did anyone else notice the similarities with Dexter and the ITK? Take the sex scenes for example.

Yes and no. While the basic similarity between Dexter and the ITK is an uncontrollable urge to kill, they're almost like different sides of the same coin, which the parallel sex scenes seemed to show (you're right, not gratuitous -- there's nothing gratuitous about this show).

Sex is normally a threat to Dexter, as it interferes with his need for control, to keep his partner from seeing that he is emotionally empty. But his session with the shrink left him feeling out of control, which led to his sexual encounter. The next morning he was back to the old Dexter, in control, and expressed surprise that there would be interest in a "next time."

I definitely get the sense that sex for the ITK is all about being in control. And I agree he's after the sister in order to further his play with Dexter. Not to say that's the only reason , but the whole way he objectifies her body (which leads to sex) just adds to the creepiness of it all, given what we already know about him and especially how the sis is so completely into him, oblivious to the reality of the situation. Man, I can't wait to see what happens.
post #248 of 6855
I see what you're saying about them being the same yet different, like opposite sides of a coin. I agree with that. When I say they may have more in common than we think, I'm thinking along the lines of the ITK being Dexter's blood brother or Harry's son. The bond is too personal. Let's keep with the same yet different angle. Both have day jobs that people respect but are serial killers on their off time. Dexter works with blood during the day. When he kills he collects a sample of his victims' blood. Both scenarios with Dexter involve blood. The ITK is a prosthetics surgeon during the day. When he kills he removes his victims' limbs. His kills result in the absence of blood. This could be a coincidence but somehow I doubt it.
post #249 of 6855
Last night's episode was wonderful again. I can hardly wait to learn what the show's creative people have done with the ITK character. The interplay last night among Dexter, his girlfriend, her estranged husband, Dexter's sister and the ITK, who is now the sister's boyfriend, was fascinating.
post #250 of 6855
I can't wait to see how Harry found Dexter...and how the father gave up custody. Poor little old lady across the street.

The one thing I have trouble with in this show is that with Dexters instincts, wouldn't he have searched a little harder to see who killed his real father? He would have def been suspicious of the "cable guy" and certainly would have questioned the little old lady across the street a bit more. And as a serial killer, knowing the ITK is playing with him, wouldn't he be a bit more suspicious of anyone new coming into his or Debs life?
post #251 of 6855
Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrade-itis View Post

I think the ITK courted the sister because of Dexter. I believe this is an effort to get closer to Dexter to toy with him more.

There has to be some kind of twist regarding the ITK. Likely something in the past that happened between the ITK and Dexter and/or his family; probably something with Harry.

Hey perhaps the ITK is Dexters biological brother? And if so, the ITK just killed his own father (not a surprise for a serial killer).
post #252 of 6855
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Last night’s episode was wonderful again.

I agree. Very well done. The series Dexter is very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klouseau View Post

Poor little old lady across the street.
He would have def been suspicious of the "cable guy" and certainly would have questioned the little old lady across the street a bit more.

I wondered why he did not question the old ladies comment about the cable guy aswell. At the ending where he drove off and the old ladie was trying to speak to him.
post #253 of 6855
The little old lady was describing the cable repairman when they moved to another scene. I think Dexter is very aware that his sister's bf is the ITK, or at least responsible for his father's death.
post #254 of 6855
I found this episode a little far-fetched. Why would the ITK kill Dexter's biological father? Both Dexter and his sister thought he died long ago, and there was no way to know that Dexter would be notified of the death.

Also, I have to say that I absolutely despise Dexter's girlfriend's ex-husband. What a despicable character. Is there a point to him being in the show? I assume that there must be, and I'm guessing that Dexter will eventually kill him.
post #255 of 6855
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayest View Post

Also, I have to say that I absolutely despise Dexter's girlfriend's ex-husband. What a despicable character. Is there a point to him being in the show?

The show would be very boring if there were only lovable characters like Dexter.
post #256 of 6855
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayest View Post

I found this episode a little far-fetched. Why would the ITK kill Dexter's biological father? Both Dexter and his sister thought he died long ago, and there was no way to know that Dexter would be notified of the death.

We're not sure why Dexter's father does not have, or did not have Dex, anymore, or put another way, why did Dex end up with Harry and not still be with his biological father. There's a huge clue in there somewhere as to what transpired in Dex's early years, and maybe why the ITK killed bio-dad.

As for the sister, she's Harry's biological daughter, so her lack of knowledge about Dex's bio-dad would be in keeping with the family dynamic, why would she know anything about him?
post #257 of 6855
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

The little old lady was describing the cable repairman when they moved to another scene. I think Dexter is very aware that his sister's bf is the ITK, or at least responsible for his father's death.

As of last night's episode, I don't think he aware. What makes you say that? Because he showed up at the morgue when Dex was breaking in, and/or because Dex didn't seem to notice the old lady?
post #258 of 6855
This is one of the best shows to come along in a long time. I can't wait for each new show. However, one thing bothers me about Dexter. He keeps saying that he doesn't feel anything, but I'm not so sure that they are consistent with that. When he thought he was going to be found out, he panicked and tried to hide everything. That's fear. That's an emotion. He isn't emotionally empty, but like most serial killers, he lacks empathy. He doesn't feel the pain of his victims.
post #259 of 6855
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

As of last night's episode, I don't think he aware. What makes you say that? Because he showed up at the morgue when Dex was breaking in, and/or because Dex didn't seem to notice the old lady?


Dex noticed the old lady as he drove away. He waved at her. I think she gave him a description close enough to tell him who it was. Just a supposition, of course.
post #260 of 6855
Gotta admit, I was a little disappointed with this episode. But I know time is limited and there's probably more need for a little more plot advancement than character development. It did raise more questions than were answered, which is always fun, but it seemed to lack the wry assessments that the voice-overs usually provide.

Anyone else getting a little tired of sis? Her eager-beaver-yet-slightly-dim-witted personality that was so cute at the beginning is starting to get a little cloying. I'm trying to understand her histrionics at Dexter's getting the DNA/toxicology reports done as being something other than selfish. I guess she's also struggling with the knowledge her adored father was less than perfect and this was the only way she could express it. But still...

I also wondered why Dexter wasn't responding to the neighbor lady yelling about the cable guy, not realizing, of course, that it was a setup for the last scene which was wonderfully chilling. And I'm still curious as hell as to the nature of the crime scene from which Dexter was rescued. Foster-dad clearly had the goods over bio-dad in order to take his son and make bio-dad stay away. Who's responsible for bio-mom's death? What was bio-dad in prison for? Hmmm...guess I enjoyed this episode more than I thought.
post #261 of 6855
Gee:
I thought Hollyweird was mostly bad pics.
Now Dexter shows how high the bar can go with choice for the future.
post #262 of 6855
So judging from the scenes from next week, do you think Angel is in trouble?
post #263 of 6855
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post


Anyone else getting a little tired of sis? Her eager-beaver-yet-slightly-dim-witted personality that was so cute at the beginning is starting to get a little cloying. I'm trying to understand her histrionics at Dexter's getting the DNA/toxicology reports done as being something other than selfish. I guess she's also struggling with the knowledge her adored father was less than perfect and this was the only way she could express it. But still...


She is becoming increasingly difficult to watch. She just seems on screen to curse and throw hissy fits. I will be glad when the ITK finally kills her.

I think the ITK killed Dexter's Bio dad to help separate Dex from Harry's moral teachings. If he can get him to question Harry's decisions he might be able to force Dex to kill the innocent.
post #264 of 6855
Quote:
Originally Posted by klouseau View Post

So judging from the scenes from next week, do you think Angel is in trouble?

I thought the same thing. I wonder if it is him who gets hacked up and Dexter has to leave the scene.
post #265 of 6855
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

She is becoming increasingly difficult to watch. She just seems on screen to curse and throw hissy fits. I will be glad when the ITK finally kills her.

I was going to say that but thought it was a little too cold.

Quote:


I think the ITK killed Dexter's Bio dad to help separate Dex from Harry's moral teachings. If he can get him to question Harry's decisions he might be able to force Dex to kill the innocent.

Interesting. Have Dex come over to his side. I definitely get the impression he regards Dex as a soul-buddy.
post #266 of 6855
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter65 View Post

I thought the same thing. I wonder if it is him who gets hacked up and Dexter has to leave the scene.

Then again, Det Doakes hates his guts. Wouldn't it be interesting if Dexter has to save the detective that hates him most?
post #267 of 6855
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Dex noticed the old lady as he drove away. He waved at her. I think she gave him a description close enough to tell him who it was. Just a supposition, of course.

Could be, we'll find out soon.
post #268 of 6855
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayest View Post

I found this episode a little far-fetched. Why would the ITK kill Dexter's biological father? Both Dexter and his sister thought he died long ago, and there was no way to know that Dexter would be notified of the death.

Also, I have to say that I absolutely despise Dexter's girlfriend's ex-husband. What a despicable character. Is there a point to him being in the show? I assume that there must be, and I'm guessing that Dexter will eventually kill him.

He is supposed to be despicable....he used to beat and rape his wife on a constant basis. I think the show has done a fantastic job with him. He's done his time, and he is trying to walk the clean path. You can tell he loves his kids, but his low life ways he still has trouble shaking off. I love how Rita bashed him on the head with the bat, but in real life, he would not have gone down that fast and would have def come after her before she got out of the house.

I think in the long run, the ITK is going to do away with Rita's husband as a gift to Dexter.
post #269 of 6855
The Dexter series' version of the characters often differs markedly from the books' version. But the sister is virtually unchanged: profane, often hysterical and over the top, but curiously competent, too. Indeed, next only to Dexter himself, the sister is the most faithful to the books. Speaking of loveable characters, the lieutenant and Sergeant Doakes, prickly and complex though they are, are far more appealing in the series than they were in the books. That's faint praise, I know, but there it is.
post #270 of 6855
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

The Dexter series' version of the characters often differs markedly from the books' version. But the sister is virtually unchanged: profane, often hysterical and over the top, but curiously competent, too. Indeed, next only to Dexter himself, the sister is the most faithful to the books. Speaking of loveable characters, the lieutenant and Sergeant Doakes, prickly and complex though they are, are far more appealing in the series than they were in the books. That's faint praise, I know, but there it is.

Yes, their book characters made you not care about them at all...these two are flawed but still somewhat likeable.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Dexter on SHO