or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Velo SPL1200R Or SVS SB12-Plus Price aside
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Velo SPL1200R Or SVS SB12-Plus Price aside

post #1 of 46
Thread Starter 
Hello all PRICE aside
what sub is the better choice the
SVS SB12-Plus OR the Velo SPL-1200R ?
Thanks ~
post #2 of 46
Svs looks good. lighter than I expected. The velo has a remote if that is a factor.
post #3 of 46
Thread Starter 
yea the EQ on the velo looks nice
They are booth about 14x14 x16
the vello is 53 lbs and the svs 40 lbs
post #4 of 46
What are you using it for and how big is your room?

-Eli
post #5 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferres View Post

Svs looks good. lighter than I expected. The velo has a remote if that is a factor.

The weigth difference is down to that the SB12's weigth is its net weight, and the SPL1200 it's shipping weight.

I think most of us by now know that SVS have a different approach to specs
post #6 of 46
Thread Starter 
Well my room is 13 x 25 it is divided half with a diningroom
My sub now is a paradigm PDr8 and is is OK for HT But I want a better sub for music
The EQ on the velo looks nice
What approach does SVS spec have ??
LL
post #7 of 46
They are dead honest when it comes to specs. Like I already said the specced weight is the net weight, not the shipping weight. The frequency response is the subs anechoic response, not how deep it goes with optimal room gain.
post #8 of 46
Thread Starter 
So nobody realy is leaning either way ??
post #9 of 46
In most setups the remote would not be a selling point. Once your system is properly calibrated, the subs volume should be controlled by the AVR's master volume. I haven't heard of many people using the preprogrammed curves in the Velo. I have heard several say they like the Jazz setting and that is where they leave it.

Without any real listening pro reviews of the SB12, it is hard to say how it will compare to the SPL in sound quality or output. Those that have heard it say it sounds very good, but that is from a consumer's perspective. The real advantage to the SB12 is the price vs the Velo. With the Velo you are paying more for electronics you may or may not use. The SB12 could have external EQing added, but at additional cost. If you were to add the SMS-1 it would make the price comparable to the SPL. For less, you could add the BFD. Or, you may like it as is and save the cost of the electronics.

I hate paying shipping costs, but the price difference is enough that I might take a chance on the SB12. If it performs well, you just saved several hundred dollars. If it doesn't, send it back and go with the SPL.
post #10 of 46
Thread Starter 
Thanks ransac
Its not the remote that got me undecided its the EQ & all of the features of the spl R
I could also look at a used spl V II and save a bunch of $$
post #11 of 46
I personally like more bang with movies so I tend to dial up the subwoofer volume during showtimes and dial it backdown for music.
post #12 of 46
Thread Starter 
see for me my PDR8 is OK for movies But Lacks for music
post #13 of 46
Thread Starter 
OK So I ordered a SVS SB12-PLUS this weekend Cant wait to get it and crank up some tunez
I Hope it is a major improvement over my PDR8
post #14 of 46
I have a 11x20 room with a cathedral ceiling, and I'm happy with my SVS SB12 Plus.
Excellent for music, as well as home theater. I think your going to like it.
post #15 of 46
Thread Starter 
So I have been using my sb12+ for a while now and I still find a lack of lows for music
I do like alot of bass for music so I am wondering if the velo would have been a beter choise
I may look into getting 2 sb12+to even out the lows
I think since my room is open and I like alot of bass when I turn up the sub I can tell it is comming from the front right of the room and does not blend -that is why I may try 2
post #16 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicMiner View Post

They are dead honest when it comes to specs. Like I already said the specced weight is the net weight, not the shipping weight. The frequency response is the subs anechoic response, not how deep it goes with optimal room gain.


Specs for the PB10-NSD state 60lbs. Shipping weight according to UPS is 75lbs.
post #17 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by antman27 View Post

So I have been using my sb12+ for a while now and I still find a lack of lows for music
I do like alot of bass for music so I am wondering if the velo would have been a beter choise
I may look into getting 2 sb12+to even out the lows
I think since my room is open and I like alot of bass when I turn up the sub I can tell it is comming from the front right of the room and does not blend -that is why I may try 2

if you like more bass then you might have to go with two SVSs. I found Velo to be very musical and descent for movies. And I like it that way.
post #18 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post

In most setups the remote would not be a selling point. Once your system is properly calibrated, the subs volume should be controlled by the AVR's master volume. I haven't heard of many people using the preprogrammed curves in the Velo. I have heard several say they like the Jazz setting and that is where they leave it.

Without any real listening pro reviews of the SB12, it is hard to say how it will compare to the SPL in sound quality or output. Those that have heard it say it sounds very good, but that is from a consumer's perspective. The real advantage to the SB12 is the price vs the Velo. With the Velo you are paying more for electronics you may or may not use. The SB12 could have external EQing added, but at additional cost. If you were to add the SMS-1 it would make the price comparable to the SPL. For less, you could add the BFD. Or, you may like it as is and save the cost of the electronics.

I hate paying shipping costs, but the price difference is enough that I might take a chance on the SB12. If it performs well, you just saved several hundred dollars. If it doesn't, send it back and go with the SPL.

You are definitely "confused" on this.
It has a 6 Band Auto EQ with mic. This accounts for the room and the user can tailor the bass the way he wants.
The remote can be programmed into a universal in case he wants to make changes on the fly.

SVS SB12 was reviewed in S&V.
Here are some Velodyne Reviews:
http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/new...x?sid=584u130h
I would extrapolate from the Velodyne in the S&V comparison using the specs on their website.


Since, he decided to throw the MSRP price out the window you have to assume he can get them for similar prices.

Ransac, IMO that was not good advice . You got the major advantage of the Eq wrong and you focused on price which the poster said to ignore.
post #19 of 46
I use to own the spl1200R and currently have the spl1500R. I loved the 1200 because of the amount of bass you get out of the small enclosure. The eq on this sub is what sets it apart because it allows you dial it in without much fuss.Once the auto eq did its thing the only setting I changed was the level, I tend to run my subs a little on the hot side. The 1200 is also great for music. I like my sub to pick up where my nearly full range speakers leave off. I switched to the 1500 because it has the same qualities as the 1200 with way more output.
I can't comment on the SVS because I've never owned one.
post #20 of 46
Is floor space at a premium or is there some other reason you're looking at the SB12 rather than one of the larger PB subs from SVS? If you like SVS and you're after a lot of bass, it would seem that the best bet would be to go with one of the larger SVS subs - like a PB12Plus, a PB12Plus/2 or PB12NSD/2. On their own site, SVS recommends going for one of the larger enclosure subs unless you absolutely must have the smallest possible enclosure.
post #21 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeTJ View Post

Is floor space at a premium or is there some other reason you're looking at the SB12 rather than one of the larger PB subs from SVS? If you like SVS and you're after a lot of bass, it would seem that the best bet would be to go with one of the larger SVS subs - like a PB12Plus, a PB12Plus/2 or PB12NSD/2. On their own site, SVS recommends going for one of the larger enclosure subs unless you absolutely must have the smallest possible enclosure.

I do like alot of bass and room lay out does not alow me to have a corner placement so when I turn up the sub to the level I like it becomes directional
I can tell the lows are coming from the right front of the room
So I just think 2 subs would give much more lows evenly through the room
Dont get me wrong for HT the SB12+ sounds great but its music I am having a problem with
post #22 of 46
Thread Starter 
Some Pix
LL
LL
post #23 of 46
How about the corner between the couches?

There are options to decouple the sub from the floor, but many people like the vibrations from the floor.

It's a fine point, but I doubt you are localizing the sub. You are probably localizing the indirect movement of things around the sub.

Nice thing about the Velodyne is that it would have remained relatively flat despite where you put it. You can always add the Velodyne SMS-1 to the SVS you have.
post #24 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdilM View Post

How about the corner between the couches?

There are options to decouple the sub from the floor, but many people like the vibrations from the floor.

It's a fine point, but I doubt you are localizing the sub. You are probably localizing the indirect movement of things around the sub.

Nice thing about the Velodyne is that it would have remained relatively flat despite where you put it. You can always add the Velodyne SMS-1 to the SVS you have.

Problem with between the couches is there is a doorway in the way to run the cable
My floor is a carpet on a slab so not sure how a room on a concrete slap comes into play
I do have a sms-1 and it has helped with the curves but I can still tell the sub is coming from that front right.
post #25 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by antman27 View Post

Hello all PRICE aside
what sub is the better choice the
SVS SB12-Plus OR the Velo SPL-1200R ?
Thanks ~

I am trying to decide between the same two subs...svs costs $750; Velo costs $1050...don't really care about the money just want best sounding sub...like to listen to rock...U2, Bruce, Clash...room is 2200 cubic ft, but there is an opening in the back of room to another 4000 cu. ft. will also be placing sub in front right corner of 2200 cu ft room...caddy corner from the small opening in rear left...

Antman any regrets??
post #26 of 46
SVS SB12 Plus
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...sb12-plus.html

Velo SPL1200 II (not R)
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...0-mk2-new.html

this is honestly a tough choice.

velo pros:
auto EQ
remote
goes lower
DSP settings that let you set higher subsonic filters and boost certain frequencies

sb12 pros:
more input and output options (speaker level outs with high pass, balanced, etc.)
cheaper by almost 50%, just a little more you can buy a second one
magnetic grill holder on the premium models
post #27 of 46
sounds like if it's too close to call, I should get the SVS and use the $300 difference for a Music Hall turntable!

Will they both be fine for music? Is one of them more suited for HT than music?
post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCJack View Post

Is one of them more suited for HT than music?

Not really, they are both high output sealed compact subs. They both achieve similar performance with the Velo being a bit better. Both have very high quality drivers, and stiff heavy cabinets. Both are overbuilt to achieve satisfying home theater demands, but work well for good "musical" performance.

The real advantage of the Velo is the definitely the EQ which means you will likely get better sound out of it without a lot of fuss, and it has more options (presets) to tailor the sound to your liking.

But I agree that saving the $300 and putting it toward other stuff may be a good route. You can always get a second SVS for the price saved
post #29 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

Not really, they are both high output sealed compact subs. They both achieve similar performance with the Velo being a bit better. Both have very high quality drivers, and stiff heavy cabinets. Both are overbuilt to achieve satisfying home theater demands, but work well for good "musical" performance.

The real advantage of the Velo is the definitely the EQ which means you will likely get better sound out of it without a lot of fuss, and it has more options (presets) to tailor the sound to your liking.

But I agree that saving the $300 and putting it toward other stuff may be a good route. You can always get a second SVS for the price saved

Warpdrive,

Thanks. You have been absolutely quite helpful. If the Velo is slightly better, why did you buy the SVS? Just curious? Is it solely the $300.00 difference? To where shall I send your consultant fee?
post #30 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicMiner View Post


I think most of us by now know that SVS have a different approach to specs They are dead honest when it comes to specs.

Like I already said the specced weight is the net weight, not the shipping weight. The frequency response is the subs anechoic response, not how deep it goes with optimal room gain.



In defense of my friends at Velodyne, they do not measure their subs like that. However, as I've noted many times on this forum, there is no set industry standards for measurement. If you want to know what a sub can really do, audition it or read a professional review. Velodyne has faired just a well as SVS, when their ratings were compared to actual ground plain measurements taken out doors, or in large or acoustically neutral environments, by Tom Nousaine (S&V), Ed Mullen and John Johnson (Secrets).

http://home.comcast.net/~frank_carter/Nousaine.htm

Ian
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Velo SPL1200R Or SVS SB12-Plus Price aside