or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › TH50PHD7UY and TH50PH9UK - Japanese HDs & Blu-Ray HD Movies PICS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TH50PHD7UY and TH50PH9UK - Japanese HDs & Blu-Ray HD Movies PICS - Page 3

post #61 of 981
It is like looking through a window. I am the biggest pioneer and panasonic fan I swear. I will never even consider getting anything but those.
post #62 of 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez View Post

hey thanks Rich. Yea the 9UK had blacker black desktop background color. Both TVs are on exact same setup due to Clone mode. I'm sure the 65" version of 9UK will rock in terms of black levels. I think Rich Harkness too said something about the increase in black levels on the 9UK 65" version didn't he.

He has a 4UY at home and I think he mentioned that the black levels were not as good but could not be certain since they are not side by side. Come to think of it, your the only one I have ever seen with them side by side

Those last pictures were very interesting. I see absolutely no false contouring in any of the light trails.

- Rich
post #63 of 981
Okay. Lemme first start by saying I'm humbled/flawed at your setup cheez.

I'm a complete nubie. I mean no clue whatsover. Other than I'm looking to buy a pair of plasma tv's -- 42" and a 50" for everyday use i.e. hd cable/dvd...not necessarily pc.

I had my mind set on a pair of Hitachi's, but, let's just say I'm confused again...thanks to this thread.

If you gurus don't mind a few nubie questions...I would be extremely greatuful.

1] what components would I need to complete the 9UK -- I already have a bose audio setup, so I probably need interface cards etc
2] can you recommend any reputable vendors (hopefully online)

Much thanks.

~Smithster.
post #64 of 981
Thread Starter 
yea Joon TV, I too always like Pio and Panny. Both are fantastic displays. I swear if I ever get my hands on the Pio and hook em up I'm sure I will get fantastic PQ out of it as well. Just like you, I like both brands very much.. Oh yeah and Fujitsu. It's an extremely prestigious TV. Gotta respect.

hey RichB, I'm always greatful reading your comments. Highly appreciated.

That 9UK is really easy on my eyes watching during bright day. That extra anti-glare really works well.


smithster, the commercial model 9UK comes with basic inputs like Component, Composite, S-Video, VGA, and Serial. You can use Component input to connect the cables from your video receiver(DVD player, STB, etc..) If you are going to use that, be sure to purchase a set of cables that have BNC plugs attached. I think when you buy 9UK from VisualApex.com it already comes with BNC Plugs, so you can use them on your exisiting component cables. I don't know about other stores that send you BNC plugs or not when you buy the 9UK. I don't know. If you want to use HDMI connection for HD receiver or DVD/HD-DVD player, just purchase a HDMI blade and HDMI cable. You don't need BNC plugs in this connection. The HDMI blade can be purchased from VisualApex or Newegg.com. The only bad is the lack of a stand and HDMI blade, but the TV itself is one solid monster performer.
post #65 of 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez View Post

Now you can go sit, you little prick..

well cool now that i know this goes unpunished ill try it more often!
post #66 of 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez View Post

yea Joon TV, I too always like Pio and Panny. Both are fantastic displays. I swear if I ever get my hands on the Pio and hook em up I'm sure I will get fantastic PQ out of it as well. Just like you, I like both brands very much.. Oh yeah and Fujitsu. It's an extremely prestigious TV. Gotta respect.

hey RichB, I'm always greatful reading your comments. Highly appreciated.

That 9UK is really easy on my eyes watching during bright day. That extra anti-glare really works well.


smithster, the commercial model 9UK comes with basic inputs like Component, Composite, S-Video, VGA, and Serial. You can use Component input to connect the cables from your video receiver(DVD player, STB, etc..) If you are going to use that, be sure to purchase a set of cables that have BNC plugs attached. I think when you buy 9UK from VisualApex.com it already comes with BNC Plugs, so you can use them on your exisiting component cables. I don't know about other stores that send you BNC plugs or not when you buy the 9UK. I don't know. If you want to use HDMI connection for HD receiver or DVD/HD-DVD player, just purchase a HDMI blade and HDMI cable. You don't need BNC plugs in this connection. The HDMI blade can be purchased from VisualApex or Newegg.com. The only bad is the lack of a stand and HDMI blade, but the TV itself is one solid monster performer.

Hey Cheez, great pics. I've been out of the loop lately on plasmas because i have been looking at the SXRD, DLP's, and LCD's because i plan on doing an HTPC. But is there a new Panny 50" 1080p industral model coming out? I have always preferred the UK's over the consumer models and have decided i want 1080p but i can't go over a certain size so i can't consider the 65". I've seen the new Pio 1080p but Pio seems more prone to IR than Panny. Seen it really bad today.
post #67 of 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithster View Post

can you recommend any reputable vendors (hopefully online)


chris from cleavland plasma has great prices and great service.
post #68 of 981
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

Hey Cheez, great pics. I've been out of the loop lately on plasmas because i have been looking at the SXRD, DLP's, and LCD's because i plan on doing an HTPC. But is there a new Panny 50" 1080p industral model coming out? I have always preferred the UK's over the consumer models and have decided i want 1080p but i can't go over a certain size so i can't consider the 65". I've seen the new Pio 1080p but Pio seems more prone to IR than Panny. Seen it really bad today.

hey lipcrkr, thanks. If I heard it right, the TH-50PF9UK is suppose to be a 1080p, and to be released sometime in December of this year? I'm not sure though. we'll have to check up on that.


EDIT: Holly....... Looks like they are out already! One of the sites called Complete-IT have them in stock. what a surprise.....
post #69 of 981
whats the pricing look like on the 1080p 50"?
post #70 of 981
[quote=whityfrd]whats the pricing look like on the 1080p 50"?[/QUOte

My guess..to begin, well into the $4000s..but dropping to $3900 into 07. Pricing always depends on a njumber of things that fall into place and very difficult (even for manufacturer) to look ahead very far.
post #71 of 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez View Post

hey lipcrkr, thanks. If I heard it right, the TH-50PF9UK is suppose to be a 1080p, and to be released sometime in December of this year? I'm not sure though. we'll have to check up on that.


EDIT: Holly....... Looks like they are out already! One of the sites called Complete-IT have them in stock. what a surprise.....

Thanx cheez. No wonder i couldn't find any info before, i was expecting 10UK. Didn't realize the 1080p would keep 9UK and change the letters. I found the thread.
post #72 of 981
I doubt if any dealer has the 1080p Panny in stock and ready to ship. Give them a call and see. A dealer may be able to quote you a price. Watch out for extended warranty that costs far to much.
post #73 of 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard korsgren View Post

I doubt if any dealer has the 1080p Panny in stock and ready to ship. Give them a call and see. A dealer may be able to quote you a price. Watch out for extended warranty that costs far to much.

Yeah, the link Cheez posted earlier says it's available for pre-order. Does anyone know when these will be available? Not that I want to buy one, I just want to see one!
post #74 of 981
Great thread Cheez! Don't worry about the haters; it's your money so you can do as you please.

Those hd pics are absolutely fantastic! Some of the best tv pics I've seen on this board period - nice work!

In your opinion, would the consumer panny's (50px60 or 600u) be able to match the picture quality of either of your commercial sets? Also, have you ever viewed SD on either; how does it look? Also, are you keeping your set-up that way, or is it just temporary for you to do side by side comparisons?

Keep the pics coming bro! Thanks!
post #75 of 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez View Post

yea Joon TV, I too always like Pio and Panny. Both are fantastic displays. I swear if I ever get my hands on the Pio and hook em up I'm sure I will get fantastic PQ out of it as well. Just like you, I like both brands very much.. Oh yeah and Fujitsu. It's an extremely prestigious TV. Gotta respect.

hey RichB, I'm always greatful reading your comments. Highly appreciated.

That 9UK is really easy on my eyes watching during bright day. That extra anti-glare really works well.


smithster, the commercial model 9UK comes with basic inputs like Component, Composite, S-Video, VGA, and Serial. You can use Component input to connect the cables from your video receiver(DVD player, STB, etc..) If you are going to use that, be sure to purchase a set of cables that have BNC plugs attached. I think when you buy 9UK from VisualApex it already comes with BNC Plugs, so you can use them on your exisiting component cables. I don't know about other stores that send you BNC plugs or not when you buy the 9UK. I don't know. If you want to use HDMI connection for HD receiver or DVD/HD-DVD player, just purchase a HDMI blade and HDMI cable. You don't need BNC plugs in this connection. The HDMI blade can be purchased from VisualApex or Newegg. The only bad is the lack of a stand and HDMI blade, but the TV itself is one solid monster performer.

Cheez,

Much thanks for taking the time to respond. I know noobs can be a pain the butt sometimes.

I checked out visual apex, it looks like the whole kit together will run < $3k. That's awesome value for the $. Why in the hell would anyone want to go the consumer line? I don't get it.

Also, I noticed your non-smackdown of the 9UK vs. 7UY. Got me thinking if there's any benefit to going 9UK i.e maybe I can go with an 8UK and save a few bucks?

And...someone in the Hitachi forum says the pannys lag behind others on the anti-burn-in technology e.g. pixel shfit, etc. True?

Thanks again.

Cheers,
-Smithster
post #76 of 981
Thread Starter 
hey cndavguy thanks for the compliments. I'm highly appreciated. Yes, the 60U and 600U are the same gen as the 9UK and share similar technology. The glass is the same as well. The 60/600U's have the ability to put out some blisteringly great PQ, like the 9UK's do. If you feed good video source via HDMI you'll get fantastic results.

Yes, as a matter of fact I have some SD-DVD movies screenshots on the 9UK, but from my laptop. The PQ on the SD is very impressive. Now that I'm using my HTPC it gets better. Ability to resolve details in the dark is superb.


smithster, no problem.. I'm glad to be your help. The Consumer models aren't bad at all. They also do have superb IQ and have great value. Nice thing about those is obviously not having to worry about purchasing a stand, speakers, and the tuner. They're all-in-one great product. But I personally like the look of the commercial models because they look so sexy, sharp, and professional.

Let's put it this way, you won't go wrong whether you have a 7UY, 8UK, or 9UK. All three are superb in overall PQ and performance. The 9UK does have improvements over the 7UY and 8UK but the difference in impression you will get is very small. If you pay attention to every single detail of the images wtih paused screen you'll start to see the improvments made on the 9UK i.e. slightly richer, and increased texture and deeper color depth. Also depends on the video contents as well. The 7UY and 8UK are neck-to-neck in PQ. In some of the HDs I do like the way my 7UY delivers in colors. It's just flat out beautiful, it really attracts me and draws attention while in other HD videos I like the 9UK better. The 7UY has slight red push while the 9UK seems to have a slight blue push. Different color tastes! It is really subjective. But the improvment is improvement, can't deny that. The 9UK still edges out in textures and slightly deeper color tone.


People at the hitachi section are just making excuses. All plasmas are prone to have Image Retention and possible Burn-in images if the user does not take care of the product and abusing it. It's not the burnin you worry about, it's the PQ what you ought to go after.

As for the "Pixel Shifting", or "Pixel Dancing", it is likely driven by the video source or connection, not the TV. I had Pixel Shifting problem on both 7UY and 9UK with my laptop. The ATi X800XT and ATi X1950XTX in my HTPC gives me no pixel shifting. It is possible that whatever the video receiver they were using, might have caused the issue with the pixel shifting.
post #77 of 981
I for one as well as other 7uy owners would love to know what your settings are?
post #78 of 981
Thanks
post #79 of 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez View Post

My lovely 7UY's setting:


.... and your spectacular 9UK's settings are....?
post #80 of 981
Thanks Cheez... I'm just wondering how far off yours are from default, hoping that I can play with my 60U to see what ballpark I need to be in to get something resembling your beautiful images!


EDIT: On the 9UK, does "picture" range from -30 -> +30? Seems quite high, if so, no?
post #81 of 981
Thread Starter 
no problem, jawatkin. The picture level on the 9UK starts from -30 to +30, and the default setting is at 25. It does seem high based on the range it has, but that default setting is very sufficient in terms of contrast level. It's not overlly too much, and it's not to little, just right to my needs.
post #82 of 981
this is the first i've heard of blades. would it be possible to later upgrade the 9UK to HDMI 1.3 with a new blade? what other lines offer blades?

thanks for those pics..
post #83 of 981
Here is the new Panasonic 50PF9UK 1080p owners manual. Looks good although it doesn't look like anything has changed as far as HD aspect ratio.
http://www.complete-it.ca/pdfs/plasm...TH-50PF9UK.pdf
post #84 of 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

Here is the new Panasonic 50PF9UK 1080p owners manual. Looks good although it doesn't look like anything has changed as far as HD aspect ratio.
http://www.complete-it.ca/pdfs/plasm...TH-50PF9UK.pdf

Nope, but it does have a new picture mode Super Cinema to display a "velvety" picture.
post #85 of 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez View Post

smithster, no problem.. I'm glad to be your help. The Consumer models aren't bad at all. They also do have superb IQ and have great value. Nice thing about those is obviously not having to worry about purchasing a stand, speakers, and the tuner. They're all-in-one great product. But I personally like the look of the commercial models because they look so sexy, sharp, and professional.

Let's put it this way, you won't go wrong whether you have a 7UY, 8UK, or 9UK. All three are superb in overall PQ and performance. The 9UK does have improvements over the 7UY and 8UK but the difference in impression you will get is very small. If you pay attention to every single detail of the images wtih paused screen you'll start to see the improvments made on the 9UK i.e. slightly richer, and increased texture and deeper color depth. Also depends on the video contents as well. The 7UY and 8UK are neck-to-neck in PQ. In some of the HDs I do like the way my 7UY delivers in colors. It's just flat out beautiful, it really attracts me and draws attention while in other HD videos I like the 9UK better. The 7UY has slight red push while the 9UK seems to have a slight blue push. Different color tastes! It is really subjective. But the improvment is improvement, can't deny that. The 9UK still edges out in textures and slightly deeper color tone.


People at the hitachi section are just making excuses. All plasmas are prone to have Image Retention and possible Burn-in images if the user does not take care of the product and abusing it. It's not the burnin you worry about, it's the PQ what you ought to go after.

As for the "Pixel Shifting", or "Pixel Dancing", it is likely driven by the video source or connection, not the TV. I had Pixel Shifting problem on both 7UY and 9UK with my laptop. The ATi X800XT and ATi X1950XTX in my HTPC gives me no pixel shifting. It is possible that whatever the video receiver they were using, might have caused the issue with the pixel shifting.


Much thanks for the info, Cheez. You've been EXTREMELY helpful.

I think I'm pretty-much set on a panasonic now. It's more than likely going to be a 9UK. I might miss the tuner, but, it's not a big deal.

Having said that, I did find some online vendors selling 50PX600U's in the mid-to-high $2k's...if true, this might just make me eat my words about not seeing the point in buying a consumer model. As you say, it'll save me the hassel of dealing with add-ons.

Cheers,
~~Smithster
post #86 of 981
does anyone have the HDMI settings for the 7UY ?
post #87 of 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekos View Post

does anyone have the HDMI settings for the 7UY ?


bump
post #88 of 981
I think we all have to agree, this is the sickest set-up ever. Good lord cheez, you've outdone yourself, bravo, i'm going to go cry now.
post #89 of 981
Thread Starter 
hey thanks longhorns. I appreciate it very much. I guess my hard work paid off. thanks again.
post #90 of 981
Hey Cheez,

I was wondering.... When you watch stuff, what do you do for audio?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › TH50PHD7UY and TH50PH9UK - Japanese HDs & Blu-Ray HD Movies PICS