or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz SR4001/5001/7001/8001
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Marantz SR4001/5001/7001/8001 - Page 92

post #2731 of 2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by djos View Post

The only differences between the 7/8001 and 7/8002 afaik know is the HDMI chips are v1.3 and the audio decoders have been upgraded to decode DTS-MA & Dolby True-HD.

The limitation is caused by a lack of DSP power preventing Audyssey being applied to high bit-rate codecs.

So for anyone who listens mostly to either mch SACD/DVD-A and watches Blu-ray they would have to consider the sr8002 and having no room correction...that sucks
post #2732 of 2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

So for anyone who listens mostly to either mch SACD/DVD-A and watches Blu-ray they would have to consider the sr8002 and having no room correction...that sucks

You still get the benefit of the auto speaker setup, just no Audyssey.
post #2733 of 2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by djos View Post

Actually I do but iirc you cant use Audyssey on 7.1ch LPCM with an 8001 either as it's disabled in that mode.


It works with 5.1 LPCM.
How much 7.1 material is out there ?
post #2734 of 2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomo View Post

It works with 5.1 LPCM.
How much 7.1 material is out there ?


There is quite a bit on bluray.

Btw, afaik audyssey is applied to sacd and DVD-A as they are only 5.1
post #2735 of 2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomo View Post

It works with 5.1 LPCM.
How much 7.1 material is out there ?

That's encouraging. Is this true of both the sr8001 and sr8002 (and 7001/7002)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djos View Post

There is quite a bit on bluray.

Btw, afaik audyssey is applied to sacd and DVD-A as they are only 5.1

I didn't think there was that much 7.1 out there either. But i'm pretty sure the Oppo can be configured to only provide 5.1.

I'm definitely more enthusiastic about these again than a few posts ago
post #2736 of 2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrman View Post

Got my 7001 back from the shop today. The problem was a defective heat sensor was triggering protect mode. Hopefully, the replacement corrects the problem. I was happy to see all my settings, etc... still stored in the setup menu. I'm even happier hearing it.

Well, upon power-up this am, I got the rapid blinking red light. Marantz wants me to send the unit to United Radio in East Syracuse, NY on their dime, as "it's their top service center". They're already saying if the thermistor has been replaced already, then it's got to be my system. I'm going to give the shop that did the initial repair a call once they open and see what they have to say about it.
post #2737 of 2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrman View Post

Well, upon power-up this am, I got the rapid blinking red light. Marantz wants me to send the unit to United Radio in East Syracuse, NY on their dime, as "it's their top service center". They're already saying if the thermistor has been replaced already, then it's got to be my system. I'm going to give the shop that did the initial repair a call once they open and see what they have to say about it.


You should search this thread. I thought this could happen if they left the unit in maintenance mode by mistake.
post #2738 of 2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansangb View Post

You should search this thread. I thought this could happen if they left the unit in maintenance mode by mistake.

Well it had been flawless in the month I've had it back from its first service. I ended up taking it back to the guys who did the initial repair. The tech said he had another 001 series with the same behavior some time back that ended up being replaced. If this becomes an issue of trying to get a replacement from Marantz, it'll be good to have someone local on my side.
post #2739 of 2839
Woot! Ive got a used SR8001 on its way to my doorstep.. (already updated to h55 firmware I'm told.) This finally replaces my Marantz SR780 receiver that has treated me well for 12+ years. Hopefully the SR8001 will provide similar multi-year performance. I'm looking forward to finally listening to a DTS track, and upgrading to Bluray w/ LPCM!

just had to share!
..dane
post #2740 of 2839
Hey guys. I have an SR4001 and just bought an Oppo BDP-83 (not the SE version). Any ideas as to which D/A converter I should use? I have two 0.5m Black Rhodium Rhythm cables at my disposal, so there shouldn't be anything standing in the way of using analogue (for CD, DVD, Blu-ray, etc.), if the 83 has better D/A conversion. I've tried listening of course, but the attenuation thing that causes the volume levels to be vastly different only confuses me.
post #2741 of 2839
Have you tried the BDP-83 thread? The player is supposed to have one of the best D/As in its class. Also, I and at least a couple others with Marantz/Denon have had trouble with an Oppo DVD player (DV-980H) and HDCD over HDMI, and I'm not sure they fixed it in the BDP-80/83s. I have the SR8001.

To clarify, I don't have an Oppo BDP.
post #2742 of 2839
I certainly dont have any issues with my SR8001 + BDP-83 via HDMI, Im not sure about the 4001 but the 8001 does a better job being fed via HDMI. DSD over HDMI is particularly impressive!
post #2743 of 2839
Thanks for the replies so far.

It should be noted that I have only a stereo setup. I'd be using the higher quality stereo output from the Oppo, and not the 7.1 analogue outputs. I'd be using optical for digital sound. I have no use for sound through HDMI, as I need only the two channels, and I have two consoles taking up the HDMI inputs in the SR4001 anyway.
post #2744 of 2839
I picked up a used SR7001 (without remote) yesterday and it's fantastic. It cost me £125 ($180) and the sound quality is far better than I expected - I have it connected to a PS3 (original 60GB), Toshiba HD-DVD, cable tv and an I-Star Mini HD and compared to the Sony STR-DB790 that I owned before it's a world away. Watched Wall-E on Blu Ray last night - 5.1 PCM - wow! CD's on the PS3 also sounded very good. I'm going to spend more time adjusting the settings over the next few days
post #2745 of 2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by djos View Post

I certainly dont have any issues with my SR8001 + BDP-83 via HDMI, Im not sure about the 4001 but the 8001 does a better job being fed via HDMI. DSD over HDMI is particularly impressive!

Have you tried HDCD discs over HDMI? I have had no problems with DSD or LPCM sent by the DV-980H, just HDCD. Optical digital works fine, though.
post #2746 of 2839
No I haven't as I don't own any that I'm aware of.
post #2747 of 2839
I wanted to revisit this HDMI 192kHz issue for a moment.. my first bluray player (oppo bdp-80) should arrive on Friday. I just received my first HDMI receiver last thursday (marantz sr8001)... To say I'm excited is an understatement... But I wanted to know if anyone ever definitively answers the LPCM bit-rate question?

On 03-06-09, djos said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by djos View Post

Yes, v.h52 allows lpcm 7.1 up to 192khz per channel.

However on 12-22-09 (9 months LATER), hotneutron posted this response from Marantz:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marantz (via hotneutron) View Post

This is correct, no Marantz receiver supports 192khz/7.1/LPCM at this time.

So which is it?

Can the Marantz SRx001 (I'm using sr8001 w/ h55 firmware) actually support 5.1ch LPCM 192kHz 24bit? Can it also support 7.1ch LPCM 192kHz 24bit?

I have heard the Akira BD has an english 5.1ch, 192kHz, 24bit audio track (link here). Has anyone tested this BD with the Marantz SRx001 family?

There seems to be conflicting information, so I've also fired off an email to Marantz. But their first reply was extremely vague and did not go into sample rates of bit widths at all. They just said it would accept 8ch PCM data over HDMI... I have updated the question with greater detail and hope to get a more detailed response back. To their credit, I've never had to wait more than a day or so for an answer. Maybe it's all in the quality of the question asked though.

And a follow-up question--- Can the SR8001 apply Audyssey to a 192kHz stream, or only the lower bitrate LPCM streams? (If only lower ones, then which ones?)

thanks all,
..dane
post #2748 of 2839
Update from Marantz just adds to the confusion:

Quote:
The answer from our engineering department is:

According to the manual, surround mode chart says "Multi Ch-PCM 96kHz" input -> "Multi Ch-PCM 96kHz" decode.
So it's up to 96kHz/24bit.

Does anyone have any empirical testing data they can share?

thanks,
..dane
post #2749 of 2839
I have the SR-8001 but my BD player is a PS3 and I don't think it can output audio at that sampling rate. Is there something I can try? I could try my PC sound card (HTOmega Claro), but the signal would be over TOSLINK or coaxial digital, and I'm not sure that's what you're looking for. If you want me to try that, I might be able to if you could point me to a 5.1 or 7.1 192 kHz audio source file.
post #2750 of 2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirac View Post

I have the SR-8001 but my BD player is a PS3 and I don't think it can output audio at that sampling rate. Is there something I can try? I could try my PC sound card (HTOmega Claro), but the signal would be over TOSLINK or coaxial digital, and I'm not sure that's what you're looking for. If you want me to try that, I might be able to if you could point me to a 5.1 or 7.1 192 kHz audio source file.

thanks dirac. unfortunately I've never used a ps3 before so I don't know its capabilities. I know the Akira BD is recorded in 8ch/192khz/24bit. But I don't know how to have the ps3 output at that rate (if it's supported)..

optical/coax wouldn't support 8ch/192khz/24bit ..

thanks for trying though!
..dane


EDIT: I found this page (on a playstation forum) that gives the following instructions to manually force 7.1ch LPCM 192kHz 24bit via HDMI:
Quote:


1) Turn on Console
2) Settings
3) Sound Settings
4) Audio Output Settings
5) HDMI
6) Automatic (Will automatically detect what your A/V Receiver can decode but LPCM 5.1 192khz or 7.1 192khz must be selected within it.)

Manual (Which you must select LPCM 5.1 192khz or 7.1 192khz)

7) Ok
8) Finish

You probably also have to have Akira BD or something similar to actually output the 5.1ch 192khz 24bit audio stream...

thanks!!
..dane
post #2751 of 2839
Sup guys. Does anyone know if all Marantz surround receivers do 'true' analogue sound, IE without converting to digital first? I've heard that (some?) Onkyo receivers do this, and I wanted to make sure that Marantz wasn't the same in this regard.

Also, if you want 'pure analogue', is there a specific input I must use? Or a specific setting?
post #2752 of 2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post

Sup guys. Does anyone know if all Marantz surround receivers do 'true' analogue sound, IE without converting to digital first? I've heard that (some?) Onkyo receivers do this, and I wanted to make sure that Marantz wasn't the same in this regard.

Also, if you want 'pure analogue', is there a specific input I must use? Or a specific setting?

yes, It's called "Pure Direct".
post #2753 of 2839
Great we have this thread. Recently got myself a new old stock (NOS) SR8001 and very happy with it. It's my first mid-level receiver with OSD and Auto-calibration (Audyssey) coming from SR4400.

I'm in the process of setting it up, just finished calibrating using audyssey but would like to improve it further by asking about the ideal settings. So here's my question's, would appreciate all your inputs. I already backread this thread and other marantz thread but i could'nt find any setup guide or has remember seeing any mention of this:

- Under, 2. Speaker Setup/Manual Setup - LPF/HPF, what's the recommended crossover setting, Is it 120hz? When I ran the Audyssey it set my Front as large and LPF/HPF at 100hz. Changed it manually to small and 120hz...as Audyssey recommended.
- Under, 3. Surround Setup my current setting RE-EQ = off, LFE = ***. Do i have to change it to RE-EQ=on and LFE=O?
- Under, 5. Preference, Bilingual = Main+Sub. What's the recommended setting for this?
- What's the ideal EQ. Mode?

Does 8001 have the same 9db bug as 8002 in the LFE, as I read in 7002/8002 thread?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions / recommendations.
post #2754 of 2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by djos View Post

yes, It's called "Pure Direct".

Odd that it doesn't just let analogue stay analogue...
post #2755 of 2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post

Odd that it doesn't just let analogue stay analogue...

They must assume you want Audyssey processing/EQ on your analog source unless you explicitly disable it by going Pure Direct.
post #2756 of 2839
This kinda sucks. In my setup it's important that the left speaker is a lot louder than the right one, because I'm not at the center of my two speakers, but as far as I see these settings are ignored in the receiver when using Source or Pure Direct. I guess I can forget about using the analogue outputs on my Oppo BDP-83, as it has to be converted to digital anyway.
post #2757 of 2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post

This kinda sucks. In my setup it's important that the left speaker is a lot louder than the right one, because I'm not at the center of my two speakers, but as far as I see these settings are ignored in the receiver when using Source or Pure Direct. I guess I can forget about using the analogue outputs on my Oppo BDP-83, as it has to be converted to digital anyway.

I thought post-processing was disabled in source/pure direct but I thought speaker level trims were still maintained?

If no one else chimes in I might be able to run some tests for you in a few days...

..dane
post #2758 of 2839
This is what I hoped too. It might be the case; I'll have to listen again. Maybe the higher volume in Source Direct mode threw me off.
post #2759 of 2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post

I thought post-processing was disabled in source/pure direct but I thought speaker level trims were still maintained?
..dane

They are, it's only EQ etc that is disabled. (Trims etc is just is just independent volume control and delay's which is very easy when you have 7 discrete amps at your disposal).
post #2760 of 2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwenael Roldan View Post

Great we have this thread. Recently got myself a new old stock (NOS) SR8001 and very happy with it. It's my first mid-level receiver with OSD and Auto-calibration (Audyssey) coming from SR4400.

I'm in the process of setting it up, just finished calibrating using audyssey but would like to improve it further by asking about the ideal settings. So here's my question's, would appreciate all your inputs. I already backread this thread and other marantz thread but i could'nt find any setup guide or has remember seeing any mention of this:

- Under, 2. Speaker Setup/Manual Setup - LPF/HPF, what's the recommended crossover setting, Is it 120hz? When I ran the Audyssey it set my Front as large and LPF/HPF at 100hz. Changed it manually to small and 120hz...as Audyssey recommended.
- Under, 3. Surround Setup my current setting RE-EQ = off, LFE = ***. Do i have to change it to RE-EQ=on and LFE=O?
- Under, 5. Preference, Bilingual = Main+Sub. What's the recommended setting for this?
- What's the ideal EQ. Mode?

Does 8001 have the same 9db bug as 8002 in the LFE, as I read in 7002/8002 thread?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions / recommendations.

That was an x002 series LFE bug and has never been an issue with the x001 series AFAIK.

My advice to you is to use all the settings that the auto setup provides except the speaker size - set speaker size to SMALL regardless of how big your speakers are, otherwise the crossovers are not enabled and you will wonder why you dont have much Bass.

I follwed the Audyssey setup guide HERE and the results where outstanding!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Marantz SR4001/5001/7001/8001