or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Bose Companion 5's
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bose Companion 5's

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
Hey all - not sure that this is the right place - if not - I'm sorry. . . .

I had seen an article by David Pogue (of the New York Times) last week that had a blurb about the speakers. I live near a Bose store - figured I would go in for a demo.

I'm not an audiophile - but to me, they sounded AWESOME.

Anyone out there with a better ear than I have any comments?

THANKS!

faceoiff
post #2 of 27
In my opinion... Bose systems are great for people who ARE NOT audiophiles... they are not speakers to listen to criticaly but work AMAZINGLY well for people who watch movies with them. The nice thing is that they are amazingly easy to use. Pair up the lifestyle system with PMC II remote and you have one of the easiest to use systems on the market... better yet you can make it multi-room with just another remote and amp...

Go for it... Bose has a place in this world, not the audiophile world, but a world for people that want a nice, easy to use system.
post #3 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by faceoff View Post

Hey all - not sure that this is the right place - if not - I'm sorry. . . .

I had seen an article by David Pogue (of the New York Times) last week that had a blurb about the speakers. I live near a Bose store - figured I would go in for a demo.

I'm not an audiophile - but to me, they sounded AWESOME.

Anyone out there with a better ear than I have any comments?

THANKS!

faceoiff

If you do a search on "Bose" on this forum you will very quickly discover that Bose catches the wrath of pretty much everyone for being crappy in quality, poor in performance, and terrible in value (overpriced).

I recommend you listen thoroughly and carefully to a variety of speakers and pick what sounds best to you.

As for what you desire, what are you adding a sound system to and what is your budget?

There are many possibilities out there, and at least from my personal perspective, many that will easily best the Bose system for listening to actual music or anything in any kind of critical way.

My favorite recommendation for media speakers are the Swan m200s found here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836136102

Which are superb speakers and almost impossible to beat with any commonly available media speakers, not counting self-powered studio monitors which would be the next logical step.
post #4 of 27
It has nothing to do with being an audiophile. If you are that crazy about the Bose, then go for it. But I would be willing to bet that if you just take a little more time and visit an audio shop, you'll find better quality gear for less money.
post #5 of 27
I bet you any money that this sounds better than the Bose system....or, for another thirty bucks, you could have THIS!
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

I bet you any money that this sounds better than the Bose system....or, for another thirty bucks, you could have THIS!

Sure, probably would be, but I wouldn't put Cambridge at the top of my list or anything. They make ok stuff though.
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

Sure, probably would be, but I wouldn't put Cambridge at the top of my list or anything. They make ok stuff though.

I guarantee you their little $79 computer speakers and subwoofer beats that bose companion 5 thing. I don't really care all that much about computer/multi-media speakers...but I've compared a couple Bose products with the Cambridge stuff and it's no comparison. I used to have one of the Cambridge clock radios, and the sound quality was clearly better than the $1000 Bose wave radio thing.
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

I guarantee you their little $79 computer speakers and subwoofer beats that bose companion 5 thing. I don't really care all that much about computer/multi-media speakers...but I've compared a couple Bose products with the Cambridge stuff and it's no comparison. I used to have one of the Cambridge clock radios, and the sound quality was clearly better than the $1000 Bose wave radio thing.

I don't disagree with you, but there isn't any need to consider Bose and Cambridge soundworks in isolation. Just because Cambridge is of higher performance quality and higher value than Bose (I certainly agree on both counts) does not mean that there is not also something that is better yet than Cambridge. As such, I suggested the Swans, which I feel are superb for a starter media system.

Beyod that, there are a number of possibilities, I'd look towards speakers from Onix, Paradigm etc, but would be towards a more-fully featured hifi system rather than self-powered media speakers. If you want to stay with the self-powered speakers, one can also look towards studio monitors which can be superb, from Genelec, Dynaudio etc. Of course, there you'd be looking there towards a much higher pricepoint, like $1K and up.
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

I don't disagree with you, but there isn't any need to consider Bose and Cambridge soundworks in isolation. Just because Cambridge is of higher performance quality and higher value than Bose (I certainly agree on both counts) does not mean that there is not also something that is better yet than Cambridge. As such, I suggested the Swans, which I feel are superb for a starter media system.

Beyod that, there are a number of possibilities, I'd look towards speakers from Onix, Paradigm etc, but would be towards a more-fully featured hifi system rather than self-powered media speakers. If you want to stay with the self-powered speakers, one can also look towards studio monitors which can be superb, from Genelec, Dynaudio etc. Of course, there you'd be looking there towards a much higher pricepoint, like $1K and up.

Dude, I'm just making a suggestion, lol. It wasn't meant to speak to your suggestion at all, and it also wasn't meant to speak to any suggestions that others may have. I don't really understand where you're coming from here....It's simply one alternative that I feel is superior to the Bose system he mentioned.
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

Dude, I'm just making a suggestion, lol. It wasn't meant to speak to your suggestion at all, and it also wasn't meant to speak to any suggestions that others may have. I don't really understand where you're coming from here....It's simply one alternative that I feel is superior to the Bose system he mentioned.

I have yet to hear anything (however cheap) that is not superior to everything by Bose.
post #11 of 27
Thread Starter 
OK guys - I REALLY appreciate you bashing Bose - rather than bashing ME! LOL

The speakers are for my computer - right now - I have the Sony speakers and sup that came with the computer. I don't really have a lot of space - no real ability for rear speakers.

I understand that comments about Bose - I have never really been impressed with anything of theirs - this is the first thing that says "maybe". . . .

The "impressive" part of the demo was the sense of surround sound - with the speakers being so close together.

THANKS!

faceoff
post #12 of 27
For 400 you could get some real studio monitors http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?fo...at=2864&ob=p19
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

I have yet to hear anything (however cheap) that is not superior to everything by Bose.

Only thing I can think of would be a pile of bricks
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by faceoff View Post

OK guys - I REALLY appreciate you bashing Bose - rather than bashing ME! LOL

The speakers are for my computer - right now - I have the Sony speakers and sup that came with the computer. I don't really have a lot of space - no real ability for rear speakers.

I understand that comments about Bose - I have never really been impressed with anything of theirs - this is the first thing that says "maybe". . . .

The "impressive" part of the demo was the sense of surround sound - with the speakers being so close together.

THANKS!

faceoff

I won't speak for anyone else, but dropping three or four bills on Bose isn't going to kill ya. That's not an endorsement of this system at all....it's just that most of the time that I tend to really get a sick feeling in my stomach is when someone is going to drop like four LARGE on Bose. I have yet to see anything from them that would warrant a price tag in the thousands of dollars. You have to keep in mind that their marketing budget is absolutely massive, so when you buy their stuff you are paying a little for the product and a lot for the marketing.

I don't think buying this companion thing is all that big of a deal, but honestly I think you'll find better products for less money. And you don't have to worry about people crapping on YOU when you come here for some advice....probably at some point in their lives, most people on here could think back to a time when they thought bose was the best.
post #15 of 27
Thread Starter 
I'm usually NOT a big Bose fan - I just like these. I agree with your comment about their marketing.

Can someone else actually try the demo - and tell me how "bad" they really are? LOL

faceoff
post #16 of 27
The Klipsch Pro Media computer speakers are surprisingly good (for computer speakers).
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by faceoff View Post

I'm usually NOT a big Bose fan - I just like these. I agree with your comment about their marketing.

Can someone else actually try the demo - and tell me how "bad" they really are? LOL

faceoff

Did you take your own music, music that you are familiar with? Or did you listen to what they provided.
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clepto View Post

The Klipsch Pro Media computer speakers are surprisingly good (for computer speakers).

They are marginally acceptable. Really, I can't recommend those Swans m200s I linked above enough. I have had a couple friends I've recommended those to, including one that had klipsch promedia speakers, and they were pretty amazed. I actually was quite impressed with them myself when I sat down for a good listen.
post #19 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

Did you take your own music, music that you are familiar with? Or did you listen to what they provided.

it was their demo
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by faceoff View Post

it was their demo

That's what I thought.

So you learned nothing, basically.
post #21 of 27
Thread Starter 
OK - considering other options - I'm looking at 2.1 - (or maybe the Swans w/o a sub).

The ine thing that I did like about the Bose, and is a factor for me, is that they delivered good (faux)seperation, considering that the speakers are sitting beside the monitor - because I don't have A LOT of room to spread them out.

How are the Swans, sitting fluse against a 17" LDC monitor? What about Altec Lansing FX6021?

TIA

faceoff
post #22 of 27
Swan M200s are good and certainly worth considering. You may like to add a small sub later.

One thing which might have impressed you in Bose companion 5 that with its bass module and tailor made demo material, it might have given you a feeling of surround and loudness. Take some of the music you like and see how they sound in bose companion 5.

I have not listened to companion 5, but had brought home companion 2 (it is without bass module) and they were not much better than the $25 computer speakers I had before, so they went back to bose after a week or so.
post #23 of 27
I was in a Bose store killing some time while my wife shopped in another store. I noticed the companion 5 display.

A salesman comes over and runs some of the pre-programmed store demos. I must admit, I was actually fairly impressed by how three-dimensional the sound was.

The salesman let me hook up my iPod and play some Pink Floyd, Dark Side Of The Moon and considering the fact that the speakers were only two feet apart, the soundstage was amazingly wide.

Of course, not everything about the sound impressed me. Because the sats are so small, the sub module crosses over at to high a frequency, which makes the sub call attention to itself.

Also, the sub is too small to go really deep. On the other hand, the little satellites produced pretty clear highs.

By the time I walked away, I was thinking that this was the first Bose product I'd heard in a long time that might actually be worth the asking price of $399. I'm not saying it was perfect by any means, but for computer or iPod speakers it is competitive with other products in it's price range. If I was someone who watched DVDs on my computer, I would consider buying the Companion 5. As it is, I have a set-up I'm pretty happy with (Cambridge Soundworks sub/amp with Energy RC minis).

Color me surprised.
post #24 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootstew View Post

I was in a Bose store killing some time while my wife shopped in another store. I noticed the companion 5 display.

A salesman comes over and runs some of the pre-programmed store demos. I must admit, I was actually fairly impressed by how three-dimensional the sound was.

The salesman let me hook up my iPod and play some Pink Floyd, Dark Side Of The Moon and considering the fact that the speakers were only two feet apart, the soundstage was amazingly wide.

Of course, not everything about the sound impressed me. Because the sats are so small, the sub module crosses over at to high a frequency, which makes the sub call attention to itself.

Also, the sub is too small to go really deep. On the other hand, the little satellites produced pretty clear highs.

By the time I walked away, I was thinking that this was the first Bose product I'd heard in a long time that might actually be worth the asking price of $399. I'm not saying it was perfect by any means, but for computer or iPod speakers it is competitive with other products in it's price range. If I was someone who watched DVDs on my computer, I would consider buying the Companion 5. As it is, I have a set-up I'm pretty happy with (Cambridge Soundworks sub/amp with Energy RC minis).

Color me surprised.

Thank you!!

I trust YOUR review better than MY ears! LOL

Bottom line - I had never been overly impressed with anything Bose to actually consider a purchase - until this.

faceoff
post #25 of 27
Thread Starter 
Has anyone other than bootstew actually heard these?
post #26 of 27
Thread Starter 
Well - I decided - for the "faux sound effects" I got SRS Audio Sandbox - makes my current (Sony - which came with the computer) sound better.

For the speakers - I decided against Bose. I realized that their EFFECTS and demo are good (at least to me). I will be using it primarily for music - so I want good sounds - I just ordered : Cambridge SoundWorks - MicroWorks II Amplified Multimedia/Computer Speaker System. And I have $200 more left in my pocket. Will post a review (as much as I can) after they arrive.

faceoff
post #27 of 27
faceoff, I know this is an older thread but I was curious as to how you like the Cambridge Soundworks Microworks II computer speakers as I am considering getting them also. Would welcome all opinions, especially from those who have them.

Also, was the SRS Audio Sandbox easy to install & use?

Thanks.

roark
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Bose Companion 5's