or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › JL Audio Fathom 13" Sub
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JL Audio Fathom 13" Sub - Page 111

post #3301 of 6759
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb540 View Post

I am sure you have probably already thought of this but when you put on your door-stop, install a hinge stop. fully adjustable so you can get the door to open as close to the JL's as possible while not touching them and they are also removable if you dont need them. No drilling holes required. Just thought I would mention it. Great looking room, I'd like to see the whole thing.

Good idea on the hinge stop

More room pics here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=905600
post #3302 of 6759
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

I'm saving the bean bag seat for you considering your preference for near field bass.

I have a door stop to install (I have one on the other side to protect the Revel Studio) but I'm not sure how long they will be there. I'm adding some more speakers for a 7.1 and might move the Fathoms back to the front.

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure if the door was closed the whole time. We are getting old, aren't we.



Hmm I though you had discover some acoustic secret with the bean bag

I was going to run out and get me one to see the affects

So are you going with The Voice, EmBrace all around?

I love Revel, luckyyy

:Edit I just finish seeing the pictures of your amazing room, I see you have the whole shebang <---Is that how you spell that??

Djoel
post #3303 of 6759
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post

Just keep trying with the wife and you never know, a little brother may be on the way.



I am in the dog house as I write, I am doing the sofa mambo, and the only loving I am getting lately is from our dog

So no real chance at the moment she holds a grunge for some time

Djoel
post #3304 of 6759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

:Edit I just finish seeing the pictures of your amazing room, I see you have the whole shebang <---Is that how you spell that??Djoel

That's how I'd spell it but in light of your current situation, shedon'tbang might be more appropriate, no?
post #3305 of 6759
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

That's how I'd spell it but in light of your current situation, shedon'tbang might be more appropriate, no?



AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
LMARO!!!!!

I can't let her hear me laugh, then she'll think I am having a good time in these trying times


Ah, that's was a great pick me upper. So funny, but so true

DJoel
post #3306 of 6759
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

That's how I'd spell it but in light of your current situation, shedon'tbang might be more appropriate, no?

lol, very clever!
post #3307 of 6759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse S View Post

You should bring a pair of Fathoms and see how they compare to my IB. I know you have 4 but that's hefty cargo.

fugeddaboutit...I'm not crazy enough to lug those things around! Looking forward to wotw on the IB though.
post #3308 of 6759
Someone asked me if the high pass on the F112 is for the mains at line
level or speaker level. What should be the answer?
post #3309 of 6759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

Someone asked me if the high pass on the F112 is for the mains at line
level or speaker level. What should be the answer?

Neither. There is no high-pass output. You need to use the pre-pro/receiver's bass management or apply an outboard active crossover.
post #3310 of 6759
msmith

We have now gotten a loaner JL F113 in our cinema, since there have been a slight delay in the shipment but hopefully our twins are already on their way from you to the Norwegian distributor :-)

The single F113 does a great job so far, a marked step up from the single SVS PB 12 plus/2 in our rom. The bass is so much, tauter and cleaner and deaper than before so all things well.

Tested the HD-DVD version of Pulse on the single F113 and yes it make strange noises in Norway to….

I can turn my Denon up to – 15 db (on other soundtracks usually listen quite a bit higher than that, and we have so far not heard any strain on other soundtracks than the one in Pulse)

Have you investigated further into what’s happening? Is it he amp clipping or are the woofer reaching its limits, is it the amp limiter kicking in? The exertion on the woofer is quite large, but from your promo video it looks like it can go further...

Any light on this would be appreciated!

Even if Pulse takes it to the limit, we are still very happy with our decision (don’t like the film…) , and as you know the competitions do not do much better on this track either.
post #3311 of 6759
We have done some testing with the Pulse "server room" scene and are pretty sure that the odd noises are related to the limiting circuitry in the Fathoms (and the Gotham). The driver is not in distress, but the specific nature of that particular low frequency pulse creates a sonic artifact. This is the first material that has ever created audible artifacts like that so we are studying it further to see exactly what is happening.

I will share more information once the engineers have absolutely figured out the issue.

Best regards,

Manville Smith
JL Audio, Inc.
post #3312 of 6759
Quote:
Originally Posted by heja View Post

msmith

We have now gotten a loaner JL F113 in our cinema, since there have been a slight delay in the shipment but hopefully our twins are already on their way from you to the Norwegian distributor :-)

The single F113 does a great job so far, a marked step up from the single SVS PB 12 plus/2 in our rom. The bass is so much, tauter and cleaner and deaper than before so all things well.

Tested the HD-DVD version of Pulse on the single F113 and yes it make strange noises in Norway to.

I can turn my Denon up to - 15 db (on other soundtracks usually listen quite a bit higher than that, and we have so far not heard any strain on other soundtracks than the one in Pulse)

Have you investigated further into what's happening? Is it he amp clipping or are the woofer reaching its limits, is it the amp limiter kicking in? The exertion on the woofer is quite large, but from your promo video it looks like it can go further...

Any light on this would be appreciated!

Even if Pulse takes it to the limit, we are still very happy with our decision (don't like the film) , and as you know the competitions do not do much better on this track either.

Have you seen the results from testing that exact scene with a SVS PB13 Ultra?
post #3313 of 6759
Yeah, it made worse noises at lower volume.
post #3314 of 6759
Quote:
Originally Posted by getech View Post

Have you seen the results from testing that exact scene with a SVS PB13 Ultra?

Ahem < I have nothing at all against SVS,they pushed the sub world forward BIG TIME. And the Ultra13 is a fantastic product.

However you keep showing here, in this JL Audio Fathom thread and for reasons known to your angry self ,try to force people to prefer another product.

Sorry little one, I know my subs better than you will ever know yours and will not part with any JL subs I have...and add !

Now take your medication and chill.
post #3315 of 6759
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post

Yeah, it made worse noises at lower volume.

I concur.
post #3316 of 6759
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith_JL View Post

We have done some testing with the Pulse "server room" scene and are pretty sure that the odd noises are related to the limiting circuitry in the Fathoms (and the Gotham). The driver is not in distress, but the specific nature of that particular low frequency pulse creates a sonic artifact. This is the first material that has ever created audible artifacts like that so we are studying it further to see exactly what is happening.

I will share more information once the engineers have absolutely figured out the issue.

Best regards,

Manville Smith
JL Audio, Inc.

Thanks! Interested to hear your findings. If you find a solution, It will be nice if the limiter can be field upgraded (at least by the distrubutor) to be "Pulse safe" also for your overseas customers :-)
post #3317 of 6759
Quote:
Originally Posted by getech View Post

Have you seen the results from testing that exact scene with a SVS PB13 Ultra?


Not in person, but have seen the youtube clip and the sound artifact is pretty much the same on the JL as the SVS. Fortunally the fuse or amp don't blow on the JL.
post #3318 of 6759
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post

Yeah, it made worse noises at lower volume.

.........
post #3319 of 6759
hee hee, awesome smiley character.
post #3320 of 6759
Quote:
Originally Posted by heja View Post

Thanks! Interested to hear your findings. If you find a solution, It will be nice if the limiter can be field upgraded (at least by the distrubutor) to be "Pulse safe" also for your overseas customers :-)

How about if we all agree to throw that creepy, stupid movie in the trash and get on with our lives???
post #3321 of 6759
That is also a solution :-)))
post #3322 of 6759
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith_JL View Post

How about if we all agree to throw that creepy, stupid movie in the trash and get on with our lives???

Best advice EVER !

Finally someone speaks the truth.
post #3323 of 6759
Well, I made the move and added an additional F113 to my main system. I am actually suprised (amazed?) at the difference in the bass. Duals seem to have elevated the entire system to another level. I have heard the Gotham and while they probably aren't its equal, the dual F113's are AWESOME (as I am sure most of you know)
post #3324 of 6759
Here is the waterfall from our HD-DVD of Pulse... from the part where she enters the computer room until the ghost guy grabs her.



Dual Fathom-113's ... Damn, do I miss those. The only good part about selling them was the proceeds went to 2nd Harvest Food Bank.
post #3325 of 6759
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb540 View Post

Well, I made the move and added an additional F113 to my main system. I am actually suprised (amazed?) at the difference in the bass. Duals seem to have elevated the entire system to another level. I have heard the Gotham and while they probably aren't its equal, the dual F113's are AWESOME (as I am sure most of you know)

Now imagine how good Quad f113's are!!!

Just kidding... congrats and thanks!
post #3326 of 6759
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub View Post

Dual Fathom-113's ... Damn, do I miss those. The only good part about selling them was the proceeds went to 2nd Harvest Food Bank.

. I feel fortunate that the expense wasnt the hardest part for me, it was moving these mini-monsters around the room!!Craig, did you have enough time with your 113's to experiment with both master/slave and stereo subs? I havent decided yet which will work best for me. I am very tempted to run each next to its Aerial partner since this system is used 80/20 music vs. theater. Any thoughts/opinion?
post #3327 of 6759
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb540 View Post

. I feel fortunate that the expense wasnt the hardest part for me, it was moving these mini-monsters around the room!!Craig, did you have enough time with your 113's to experiment with both master/slave and stereo subs? I havent decided yet which will work best for me. I am very tempted to run each next to its Aerial partner since this system is used 80/20 music vs. theater. Any thoughts/opinion?

Yes, we ran them both ways ... and stereo subs with the Aerials ... You would now have SOTA from 16 Hz and up ... nice !! For what you are looking at doing, definitely.
post #3328 of 6759
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb540 View Post

Well, I made the move and added an additional F113 to my main system. I am actually suprised (amazed?) at the difference in the bass. Duals seem to have elevated the entire system to another level. I have heard the Gotham and while they probably aren't its equal, the dual F113's are AWESOME (as I am sure most of you know)

Ah they are mighty close,mighty close IMO. The Gotham adds stunning looks to the great looking Fathom. And the cabinet...oh the cabinet...

Congrats, you are now free from sub limitations. Duals can sure pump some air.
post #3329 of 6759
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb540 View Post

. I feel fortunate that the expense wasnt the hardest part for me, it was moving these mini-monsters around the room!!Craig, did you have enough time with your 113's to experiment with both master/slave and stereo subs? I havent decided yet which will work best for me. I am very tempted to run each next to its Aerial partner since this system is used 80/20 music vs. theater. Any thoughts/opinion?

My setup will also be 80/20 music/theatre. I would suggest trying to put the subs at the same distance from the primary listening position as the main speakers. Then adjust from there. It will work in my room based on the way it was designed (Rives Audio), and hopefully I'll know very soon. (Has anyone ever had a contractor finish by the estimated date and under budget???? Not me!)
post #3330 of 6759
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post

My setup will also be 80/20 music/theatre. I would suggest trying to put the subs at the same distance from the primary listening position as the main speakers. Then adjust from there. It will work in my room based on the way it was designed (Rives Audio), and hopefully I'll know very soon. (Has anyone ever had a contractor finish by the estimated date and under budget???? Not me!)

Excellent suggestion. I will give it a try this weekend.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › JL Audio Fathom 13" Sub