or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official SVS Owners/Support Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 361

post #10801 of 15713
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

If it truly is a room null that's causing the issue there's really no way to correct it through any electronic means (distance, phase, EQ, etc). The only cure is a placement change, either the seating position or the sub itself, because room nulls can't be adjusted out unfortunately.

Something like REW -- or any decent measuring software -- is definitely an essential tool in order to determine precisely what the issue is, and at this point it might be the best way for him to proceed.

^^ +1.

If the LP is in a true null (which often occur in the mid-bass regions), the only way to eliminate it is to move the LP or move the subwoofer, or possibly add additional subs at other locations. A mid-bass null would certainly explain a lack of subjective slam/impact.
post #10802 of 15713
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

I have had nulls become present by changing the distance setting in my avr, i verified it with rew. however that was most likely the sub and mains canceling each other out...not room related.

If the sub and mains are cancelling each other out, then it's a crossover problem.
post #10803 of 15713
It could be a crossover issue but it could also be an acoustic polarity issue. There are tests for this, but if they aren't in the same acoustic polarity, they are working against each other. Since he is changing distance with his AVR, he is affecting phase.
post #10804 of 15713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

If the sub and mains are cancelling each other out, then it's a crossover problem.

not necessarily.
post #10805 of 15713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

It could be a crossover issue but it could also be an acoustic polarity issue. There are tests for this, but if they aren't in the same acoustic polarity, they are working against each other. Since he is changing distance with his AVR, he is affecting phase.

Exactly...which is why its important to get the sub distance setting correct so the subs are phase aligned with the rest of the speakers.
post #10806 of 15713
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

not necessarily.

With the sub and AVR crossovers setup wrong, the sub and speakers can cancel each other out.
post #10807 of 15713
My wife just came across my original sales reciept for our 20 - 39PCI cylinder sub - 12 / 19 / 2006 !! eek.gif This sub is going on 7 years old, and it's still going strong!! smile.gifsmile.gif Gotta love good long lasting gear !!
post #10808 of 15713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

My wife just came across my original sales reciept for our 20 - 39PCI cylinder sub - 12 / 19 / 2006 !! eek.gif This sub is going on 7 years old, and it's still going strong!! smile.gifsmile.gif Gotta love good long lasting gear !!

That's the perfect excuse to get another one - you've gotten your moneys worth! Get the wife to see the light. tongue.gif
post #10809 of 15713
Sure, if I wasn't busy buying new electric screens........!eek.gif
post #10810 of 15713
Quote:
Originally Posted by CV580DRVR View Post

I have a couple ideas on Mic Stands:

1) Radio Shack. They offer a flexible metal, "Gooseneck" style stand that works dandy. Just add enough 12" sections to it to allow sufficient height.

2) "Slik" Camera Tripod. Probably buy one of these at Wal^Mart. VERY aadjustable! Great for Photography...AND Attaching Microphones. The same threaded 1/4-20 adapter that threads into the body of an SLR camera also threads neatly into the body of a RS SPL meter. Cool!


I've also "Gone Rogue" in a jam...and used a Broomhandle with the Mic rubber banded to it. A Man's gotta do what a Man's gotta do! smile.gif

Piece O' Cake!

CV
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

That should be alright. The sub cables don't need to be anything exotic as they're carrying very little bandwidth. The only thing that you must get is coaxial cables, in order to be immune to induction effect (EM interference). This is simply because the signal is pre amp level, and any interference a long cable will pick up will then be greatly amplified by your sub's amplifier. You don't want that. So as long as you stick with coax cable, you're ok, as long as the cable is not damaged. Curiously, there are lots of cables that are indeed damaged out there. I frequently encountered coax cables that would induce hums or crackles used with a sub, and swapping the cable fixed the problem.
I'm not as knowledgeable about HDMI cables but I thought 40 ft was pushing what was possible for HDMI connections without repeaters. Then again, if BJC sells 40' cables, I guess they would work smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

For a run that long, I would get the Monoprice Redmere cables. They are an active cable with a chip in one end. They are directional, so follow the arrows. They have worked great for me. And VERY reasonably priced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

I'm saving this as reference, thx for sharing.
+1 on Redmere, I don't need them myself since all my runs are under 12ft, but I keep hearing about this cable from those who require long hdmi runs to their projector..

Thanks, Guys!
post #10811 of 15713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post

Finally, I am looking to get a boom stand for the calibration mic, but am unsure which to get. Also, I understand an adapter will be needed to fit the mic to the boom, correct? Any suggestions would be great!

http://www.amazon.com/Samson-SAMB1-Mini-Boom-Stand/dp/B0002D0KOG/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

The stand comes with a microphone holder and our calibration microphone came with a holder that threaded right on.
post #10812 of 15713
HSU VTF-15H and SVS PB13-ULTRA getting along?

I’m having a wonderful 7.1 system using one HSU VTF-15H subwoofer. I’m thinking of getting a second one since I have the space available and I like the reviews and quality of the SVS PB13-ULTRA. I know it would be best to match the HSU with the same one but wondering if the PB13-ULTRA would be a good match too to the VTF-15H. Any ideas or comments?
post #10813 of 15713
I have a PB12-NSD in a 21x12.5x9 room. It rumbles pretty good, but how do I get the same rumble you get in a movie theater. Do I add another sub, a bigger sub, do I need a sub that goes lower, what?

Thanks
post #10814 of 15713
^you need another sub imo.
post #10815 of 15713
Quote:
I have a PB12-NSD in a 21x12.5x9 room. It rumbles pretty good, but how do I get the same rumble you get in a movie theater. Do I add another sub, a bigger sub, do I need a sub that goes lower, what?

Thanks
Quote:
you need another sub imo.

I agree. My theater is 24' x 12' high x 18', and you can feel the LFE from my one SVS 20 - 39PCI. Guests look over at me slack jawed during action / war movies. If you can't feel it in your theater, you need a bigger or 2nd sub, and perhaps re-position it. My cylinder is in a back corner. It was the only place I could put it. Works kick a$$ good there too !!

*
post #10816 of 15713
Quote:
I’m having a wonderful 7.1 system using one HSU VTF-15H subwoofer. I’m thinking of getting a second one since I have the space available and I like the reviews and quality of the SVS PB13-ULTRA. I know it would be best to match the HSU with the same one but wondering if the PB13-ULTRA would be a good match too to the VTF-15H. Any ideas or comments?

Add that PB 13 Ultra ( call me for a price ), watch Das Boot or any good action / war movie, and prepare to have some awesome sub action. I don't think subs need to be matched like L C R speakers.
post #10817 of 15713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Add that PB 13 Ultra ( call me for a price ), watch Das Boot or any good action / war movie, and prepare to have some awesome sub action. I don't think subs need to be matched like L C R speakers.

Will adding a PB 13 Ultra be better than a second PB 12 NSD? I just cranked up the db a little and changed my LFE crossover to pass through and that helped a little, but it didn't give me the same effect as Bjorn's AV HT I was in. However, his is a $250K theater with 6, MK350s. That felt like a commercial theater.
post #10818 of 15713
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

Will adding a PB 13 Ultra be better than a second PB 12 NSD? I just cranked up the db a little and changed my LFE crossover to pass through and that helped a little, but it didn't give me the same effect as Bjorn's AV HT I was in. However, his is a $250K theater with 6, MK350s. That felt like a commercial theater.



"Will adding a PB 13 Ultra be better than a second PB 12 NSD?"


Lowell,


Pose this question to Ed Mullen over at SVS! wink.gif


I think that it MIGHT be better to have the matching PB12-NSD! If pushed hard, the lesser of the two subs (the PB12-NSD) might run out of steam, give up and be possibly overdriven before the PB13 Ultra ever breaks a sweat as the PB12-NSD would now be the weakest link in the chain! mad.gif

Ideally of course and being that you only live once, it would really be best to sell the PB12-NSD and treat yourself to TWO PB13 Ultra's! tongue.gif


...Glenn smile.gif
Edited by Glenn Baumann - 6/15/13 at 5:32pm
post #10819 of 15713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baumann View Post

"Will adding a PB 13 Ultra be better than a second PB 12 NSD?"


Lowell,


Pose this question to Ed Mullen over at SVS! wink.gif


I think that it MIGHT be better to have the matching PB12-NSD, as the lesser of the two subs (the PB12-NSD) might run out of steam and give up before the PB13 Ultra as it would be the weakest link in the chain! mad.gif

Ideally of course and being that you only live once, it would really be best to sell the PB12-NSD and get TWO PB13 Ultra's! tongue.gif


...Glenn smile.gif

You CAN add a PB13-Ultra. 1st thing to do is to level-match the subs. But, like Glenn said, the PB12-NSD will putter out before the Ultra even breaks a sweat.

I recommend getting identical subs, either the Ultra's or the NSD's. That way setting them up will be a lot easier.
post #10820 of 15713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baumann View Post


Ideally of course and being that you only live once, it would really be best to sell the PB12-NSD and treat yourself to TWO PB13 Ultra's! tongue.gif

...Glenn smile.gif

Now that would be one hell of a setup for a normal size room biggrin.gif, would last forever though if you take care of them.
post #10821 of 15713
I love the thought of 2 Ultra's, but would 2, PB12s be better than 1, Ultra?
post #10822 of 15713
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

I love the thought of 2 Ultra's, but would 2, PB12s be better than 1, Ultra?
According to SVS, dual PB13Ultra > dual PB12+ > single PB13Ultra > single PB12+. cool.gif
post #10823 of 15713
I was actually talking about adding a SVS PB13-Ultra to my existing HSU VTF-15H. Does anybody have a setup with two woofers like this or can comment on?
post #10824 of 15713
2 PB12-NSD (stacked, if they are located in different areas of the room, including two not reach out to the plus) = 1 PB12-Plus

Even easier:

  NSD = 0 db (Baseline)
1 Plus = +6 dB
1 Ultra = +9 db

rolleyes.gif
post #10825 of 15713
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

I love the thought of 2 Ultra's, but would 2, PB12s be better than 1, Ultra?

Again, contact Ed Mullen at SVS and see what he has to say! wink.gif


...Glenn smile.gif
post #10826 of 15713
By ALL means, allow Ed Mullen to guide your decision making!

Ed has ALWAYS put me on the right path...even when it meant NOT selling another Subwoofer.

This guy knows his stuff....you won't go wrong! cool.gif

CV

Edit: This is a "Music" house. Movies aren't a big deal. At 0630 in the morning today....My Wife and I were listening (with my 18mo old SVSs).....listening to the finest articulation of an instrument I've ever heard farther than 10ft from that very instrument in the recording.

We Both Agreed...My Wife and I.....

MULLEN RULES.

smile.gif
Edited by CV580DRVR - 6/16/13 at 9:33am
post #10827 of 15713
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Park View Post

I was actually talking about adding a SVS PB13-Ultra to my existing HSU VTF-15H. Does anybody have a setup with two woofers like this or can comment on?

a better path to take would be another vtf15h or a psa xv15. the xv15 has the same average output of the pb12+.

16-80hz average output.

PB13U 113

XV15 110.7

PB12+ 110.7

PB12NSD 104.7

also the XV15 now has a multitude of finish choices for a extra 150.00



That being said, The PB13U is a sweet sub, I would sell the VTF15 and get a pair if your heart is set on that sub.

Oh and before anybody wants to put my numbers on blast I added 6db(from lectre83's post) to the pb12nsd numbers on data-bass.com/systems when doing the averages. In all honesty I would still expect the pb12+ to have a higher average...according to audioholics its average from 20-63hz is 112db, but that puts it right there with the pb13u.
Edited by basshead81 - 6/16/13 at 11:11am
post #10828 of 15713
The XV15 has a high performance, compared with PB12 + 16Hz mode, perform a similar numbers. 20hz mode takes advantage of the PB12 +.

In any case, the XV15 is a great subwoofer for the price, at the cost of losing a pretty picture.

The boy had a VTF15H right?
The way forward is, put another subwoofer of the same characteristics. So, put another VTF15H, this will save headaches when integrating two subwoofers.

Put another Subwoofer and involves a minimum, work with delays and greater equalization algorithm, according to my experiences.
post #10829 of 15713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecter83 View Post

The XV15 has a high performance, compared with PB12 + 16Hz mode, perform a similar numbers. 20hz mode takes advantage of the PB12 +.

In any case, the XV15 is a great subwoofer for the price, at the cost of losing a pretty picture.

The boy had a VTF15H right?
The way forward is, put another subwoofer of the same characteristics. So, put another VTF15H, this will save headaches when integrating two subwoofers.

Put another Subwoofer and involves a minimum, work with delays and greater equalization algorithm, according to my experiences.

Have you looked at any of the new finishes offered for the XV15? 20hz is not some magical frequency to rate a sub...Taking averages gives a better idea of overall performance over the FR. The real kicker is the Rythmik LV12R performs close to both from 20hz on up for 589.00 shipped.

In any case I agree, I would add another of the same sub or sell the one and get 2 of the other. If the money alows dual PB13's would be insane!
post #10830 of 15713
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Have you looked at any of the new finishes offered for the XV15? 20hz is not some magical frequency to rate a sub...Taking averages gives a better idea of overall performance over the FR. The real kicker is the Rythmik LV12R performs close to both from 20hz on up for 589.00 shipped.

In any case I agree, I would add another of the same sub or sell the one and get 2 of the other. If the money alows dual PB13's would be insane!

Now that you mention it, I had not noticed the new PSA group finishes ... That is great news, appreciates his reputation even more. PSA is the new SVS lol.

I meant that the 16Hz mode + XV15 and have the same or similar performance in terms of SPL max. What a despicable advantage tubiera possibly the + in 20hz mode. Still I'm sure that has a lower THD + (although this at lower frequencies are not audible).

Then already the term in the tastes of each, although the XV15 is attractive, has no configuration options of a PB12 + (tuning variable making even the subwoofer can be sealed) 1-PEQ and finish and look more awesome ...
Although the issue of EQ, Audyssey today having, YPAO or other solutions, it is safer not to use it to its integrated PEQ. As I say, is a matter of taste and needs.
Quer PSA model attracts me most is the XS30 and new finishes, would give great value in performance and visualization in classrooms with attractive furniture.

Personally for you kid, I decanted for another VTF15H (would be the best investment)
Another good investment would be to sell your HSU and get a FV15HP and eventually one seconds FV15HP.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official SVS Owners/Support Thread.