or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official SVS Owners/Support Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 373

post #11161 of 15621
Quote:
Originally Posted by tang7969 View Post

Well I haven't had to much time with the sub yet. I have hooked it up and the crossover in my Pioneer to 80,phase is at 0 and am using the auto on. I have not run the MCAAC yet but will tomorrow. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong besides not running the MCAAC yet but there isn't very much power coming from this thing. The bass is very quiet.mad.gif Kind of disappointed so far. If anybody has any advice I would appreciate it.
Well after all the great suggestions in setting up my PB-1000 I am now very happy with the output biggrin.gif I turned the gain on the sub to about 2-3 o'clock and reran MCAAC. After running I of course changed from large to small and the crossover was already set to 80.I also went in and adjusted each channel (up of course).I put in some bass heavy scenes Skyfall,Finding Nemo (glass tapping) and Iron Man. All is good. Thanks again for everyone's input especially Basshead81 and neutro cool.gif

EDIT: Just wanted to mention that I raised the sub level in my avr 2db's
post #11162 of 15621
Your welcome! Glad you got it dialed in smile.gif
post #11163 of 15621
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmanyon View Post


I also don't have any problems with the auto-on I suspect that may only happen when listening at low volumes when the sub is not needed. As for the wind sound, I never heard it. I hate when people mention stuff like that, then that's all that other owners listen for and as a result, allow their ears to play tricks on them. Anyway, I am very happy with the accurate bass from this sub.

I have to turn turn the volume past -10db, above my normal listening volume and the sub still doesn't not come on unless there is a very loud bass signal. I'm running +3db above what Audyssey recommends. I'm pretty certain that can't be right. The noise that I have on mine is audible to the point where it distracts me when I'm watching a movie, so I think it is worth mentioning, to see if other have the same experiences, or maybe give advices and tips, in which some have and I'm grateful for. I made a longer post in the pb1000 thread sharing my experience, which included the sub not working on arrival where I had to spend quite a while to figure out why, only to find out after opening up the box that a driver wire was not connected. Reason I purchased the sub was based on the many good reviews of quality and sound, so I was surprised to experience this. Perhaps I may be the only case, or perhaps others have similar experience, but do not share, but I don't think owners should be discourage to report their experiences, good or bad. I'm not trying to knock the sub or the company as they have been very helpful so far and they are sending out a new amp for me to replace. I just hope that it will fix the problems so I can finally enjoy listening to the sub-woofer.
post #11164 of 15621
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionboy View Post

I have to turn turn the volume past -10db, above my normal listening volume and the sub still doesn't not come on unless there is a very loud bass signal. I'm running +3db above what Audyssey recommends. I'm pretty certain that can't be right. The noise that I have on mine is audible to the point where it distracts me when I'm watching a movie, so I think it is worth mentioning, to see if other have the same experiences, or maybe give advices and tips, in which some have and I'm grateful for. I made a longer post in the pb1000 thread sharing my experience, which included the sub not working on arrival where I had to spend quite a while to figure out why, only to find out after opening up the box that a driver wire was not connected. Reason I purchased the sub was based on the many good reviews of quality and sound, so I was surprised to experience this. Perhaps I may be the only case, or perhaps others have similar experience, but do not share, but I don't think owners should be discourage to report their experiences, good or bad. I'm not trying to knock the sub or the company as they have been very helpful so far and they are sending out a new amp for me to replace. I just hope that it will fix the problems so I can finally enjoy listening to the sub-woofer.
First of all and most importantly have you contacted SVS ? They have the best CS second to none ! They will ask you questions and walk you threw all possibilities to correct the issues you mentioned and to see if it is a faulty sub . As far as the wire on the driver coming loose its highly possible that happen during shipping . I would start with trying a different sub cable that could be part of the problem and would be a good starting point . But like I said contact SVS . Good luck and keep us posted .
post #11165 of 15621
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post

First of all and most importantly have you contacted SVS ? They have the best CS second to none ! They will ask you questions and walk you threw all possibilities to correct the issues you mentioned and to see if it is a faulty sub . As far as the wire on the driver coming loose its highly possible that happen during shipping . I would start with trying a different sub cable that could be part of the problem and would be a good starting point . But like I said contact SVS . Good luck and keep us posted .

The sub was tested prior to shipping, so the lead came off during shipping. But we're double checking all leads now to make sure they're nice and snug. Unless the noise is coming from an upstream source, the replacement amp will hopefully take care of it.
post #11166 of 15621
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionboy View Post

I have to turn turn the volume past -10db, above my normal listening volume and the sub still doesn't not come on unless there is a very loud bass signal. I'm running +3db above what Audyssey recommends. I'm pretty certain that can't be right. The noise that I have on mine is audible to the point where it distracts me when I'm watching a movie, so I think it is worth mentioning

If the sub won't turn on even at loud volumes and there is audible noise, the first thing I'd try is change the sub cable and try a couple others. It looks like the input signal is low and noisy. It could also be the receiver's output, so another thing to try would be to use a known good source (any line-level audio source will do).

If different sub cables and different sources all produce the same symptoms, then the sub may have a problem. The amp can be easily swapped. But it's worth mentioning that I once got a PB12-Plus with what I'd describe as a stuck driver. Even at max gain and -10 dB, the driver would only produce feeble, grainy output lacking bass. After a trouble-shooting session with steps suggested by SVS it was determined that the driver itself was faulty and not the amp, so the whole sub was promptly replaced. The driver was incapable of producing any visible excursion even with a 9V battery connected to the driver's leads.
post #11167 of 15621
I have some questions regarding the 3 ports for the PB-12 Plus with the Sledge 800 watts amp.

I am using the dual PB-12 pluses in my HT. I have both subs at the 2 front corners with the 3 ports open and the subs sound quite good. When I tried to plug 1 port on Both subs, the subs made the flapping sounds. My experience with 1 port plug did not sound very good. I have not try the seal mode yet.

How do you determine how many port to plug or leave all 3 ports open? Does it matter in the size of your room. I mean, if you have a large room, leave all ports open? If you have smaller room, plug 1 port? And if you have a very small size room, plug all 3 ports?

My theater room size is 22ft x 15ft x 9ft (height). The theater room is open next to another room so it is not a close room. The total room size is more like 40ft x 15ft x 9ft (height).


Right now, I am a little confuse about the 3 ports.
post #11168 of 15621
did you change the setting on the amp whe you plugged one port?
post #11169 of 15621
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

did you change the setting on the amp whe you plugged one port?


Yes, I changed the setting on the amp for both subs. I changed to 16Hz. In order for me to get rid of the flapping sounds from both drivers, I had to turn the Master Volume on the Pioneer receiver way down to low listening level at -25. I usually listen to loud level between -5 to 0 on the Master Volume. Another thing I did was went back into the MCACC auto calibration setup and turn down the Trim Level way down. It did make the flapping sounds from the 2 drivers go away but now I don't get very much bass while watching movies. I use the PB-12 Pluses for movies only.

Maybe I will try to do the Sealed Mode next to see if the two drivers sound any better. But so far, leaving all 3 ports seems a better choice for my room.


But plugging in 1 port seems to lose a lot of bass because you either have to turn down the Master Volume way the heck down or turn the MCACC Trim Level way the heck down. I guess I am confused why there are so many PB-12 Pluse or PB-13 Ultra owners have the 1 port plug at 16Hz.
Edited by mantaraydesign - 8/2/13 at 8:36am
post #11170 of 15621
After playing injustice on the Wii u with the subwoofer level at +3.5db (crazy?) and the gain knotch just a click over 12oclock.. wow. That is all. I want another one.. just cause.
post #11171 of 15621
Mantaray, you can find the port tuning settings in the manual. Here they are, in a nutshell:

  • No ports blocked: choose the 20Hz tune setting on the amp
  • One port blocked: choose the 16Hz tune setting on the amp
  • Two ports blocked: this is *not* supported.
  • All ports blocked: choose the Sealed tune setting on the amp

Using the correct tune setting on the amp is very important as it adjusts the high-pass filter frequency for protecting the driver.

I'm not sure what's wrong with your setup (I have two PC12-Pluses in 16 Hz tune and I get plenty of bass). However if I remember correctly, you use your subs close to their limits, and 20 Hz tuning provide the most output. By going with the 16 Hz tuning, you lower the sub's max output, so if the tune setting on the amps is set correctly, perhaps you simply hit the sub's limits sooner.
post #11172 of 15621
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionboy View Post

I have to turn turn the volume past -10db, above my normal listening volume and the sub still doesn't not come on unless there is a very loud bass signal. I'm running +3db above what Audyssey recommends. I'm pretty certain that can't be right. The noise that I have on mine is audible to the point where it distracts me when I'm watching a movie, so I think it is worth mentioning, to see if other have the same experiences, or maybe give advices and tips, in which some have and I'm grateful for. I made a longer post in the pb1000 thread sharing my experience, which included the sub not working on arrival where I had to spend quite a while to figure out why, only to find out after opening up the box that a driver wire was not connected. Reason I purchased the sub was based on the many good reviews of quality and sound, so I was surprised to experience this. Perhaps I may be the only case, or perhaps others have similar experience, but do not share, but I don't think owners should be discourage to report their experiences, good or bad. I'm not trying to knock the sub or the company as they have been very helpful so far and they are sending out a new amp for me to replace. I just hope that it will fix the problems so I can finally enjoy listening to the sub-woofer.

Have you tried a "Y" cable at the sub?
post #11173 of 15621
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

Mantaray, you can find the port tuning settings in the manual. Here they are, in a nutshell:

  • No ports blocked: choose the 20Hz tune setting on the amp
  • One port blocked: choose the 16Hz tune setting on the amp
  • Two ports blocked: this is *not* supported.
  • All ports blocked: choose the Sealed tune setting on the amp

Using the correct tune setting on the amp is very important as it adjusts the high-pass filter frequency for protecting the driver.

I'm not sure what's wrong with your setup (I have two PC12-Pluses in 16 Hz tune and I get plenty of bass). However if I remember correctly, you use your subs close to their limits, and 20 Hz tuning provide the most output. By going with the 16 Hz tuning, you lower the sub's max output, so if the tune setting on the amps is set correctly, perhaps you simply hit the sub's limits sooner.


Maybe the 1 port plug is not for me since I listen to at reference volume. Probably is not a good idea to try out the sealed mode. The sealed mode at reference volume will probably pop out both drivers. LOL!!

But at 1 port plug at 16 Hz, I was expecting more air movement from both subs but all I can got was the flapping sounds from both subs. Tell me again why most of you prefer the 1 port plug???
post #11174 of 15621
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post

First of all and most importantly have you contacted SVS ? They have the best CS second to none ! They will ask you questions and walk you threw all possibilities to correct the issues you mentioned and to see if it is a faulty sub . As far as the wire on the driver coming loose its highly possible that happen during shipping . I would start with trying a different sub cable that could be part of the problem and would be a good starting point . But like I said contact SVS . Good luck and keep us posted .

Yes Ive talked to SVS and a new amp is on the way. Hopefully it will take care of the problems as I would like to purchase an additional pb1000 for dual setup, but not if the issues remains. Thanks, and I will update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

If the sub won't turn on even at loud volumes and there is audible noise, the first thing I'd try is change the sub cable and try a couple others. It looks like the input signal is low and noisy. It could also be the receiver's output, so another thing to try would be to use a known good source (any line-level audio source will do).

If different sub cables and different sources all produce the same symptoms, then the sub may have a problem. The amp can be easily swapped. But it's worth mentioning that I once got a PB12-Plus with what I'd describe as a stuck driver. Even at max gain and -10 dB, the driver would only produce feeble, grainy output lacking bass. After a trouble-shooting session with steps suggested by SVS it was determined that the driver itself was faulty and not the amp, so the whole sub was promptly replaced. The driver was incapable of producing any visible excursion even with a 9V battery connected to the driver's leads.

Im certain it's not the cable for 2 reasons. 1. The cable worked fine with the old sub that I was upgrading from. No noise nor wake up issues. 2. The noise remain even after I unplug the sub woofer cable. The only way to stop the noise is to restart, or wait until it goes in standby again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

Have you tried a "Y" cable at the sub?

Yes I've tried the Y cable, and it did not help. I've pretty much exhausted all my options before calling up SVS.
post #11175 of 15621
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydesign View Post

Maybe the 1 port plug is not for me since I listen to at reference volume. Probably is not a good idea to try out the sealed mode. The sealed mode at reference volume will probably pop out both drivers. LOL!!

But at 1 port plug at 16 Hz, I was expecting more air movement from both subs but all I can got was the flapping sounds from both subs. Tell me again why most of you prefer the 1 port plug???

Simply, the sub runs out to 16Hz , instead of only 20Hz in the all open configuration.

The air output will be dependent upon output of the sub. At the 20Hz tune, there is max output. Hence, more air movement. At 16Hx mode, there is less SPL output. Hence, less air movement.
post #11176 of 15621
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydesign View Post

Maybe the 1 port plug is not for me since I listen to at reference volume. Probably is not a good idea to try out the sealed mode. The sealed mode at reference volume will probably pop out both drivers. LOL!!

In fact, sealed mode offer back-pressure / resistance at all frequencies for the drivers, so you're actually less at risk of damaging the drivers. The problem in ported mode is that below the tuning frequency, the driver sees no resistance (the technical term is unloading of the driver), and thus is more susceptible to reaching its mechanical limits. This is why high-pass filters with cutoffs just below the tuning are used to protect the driver. If you mismatch the cabinet tuning and the protection filter, the driver is unprotected from large voltage swings that may bring it close to its mechanical limits in the absence of any resistance from back-pressure. So, say you set the amp to sealed or 16 Hz tuning. In 16 Hz tuning, I think the high-pass filter cutoff is around 13 Hz. You can thus have strong signal from 13 Hz onward. If you leave all ports open (20 Hz cabinet tuning), the driver unloads below about 18 Hz. Thus, a strong 15 Hz signal could really trash the cabinet as it offers no resistance at that frequency and the HPF let the signal go through.
Quote:
But at 1 port plug at 16 Hz, I was expecting more air movement from both subs but all I can got was the flapping sounds from both subs. Tell me again why most of you prefer the 1 port plug???

With 16 Hz tuning, you'll get less output at 20 Hz than with the 20 Hz tuning, but you'll get more output at 16 Hz than the 20 Hz tuning. In total, there is less output, but a greater extension towards very low frequencies. In my case I have ample headroom and excess power, so I tune the subs at 16 Hz. Maybe I should try them sealed biggrin.gif
Quote:
I've pretty much exhausted all my options before calling up SVS.

Looks like you did your homework. Swapping an amp is really easy... I really hope it will solve any remaining issue.
post #11177 of 15621
Neutro -

Let me know how the sealed mode sound. If the sound is good in sealed mode, I will give it a try. Also, when you switch to sealed mode, do I need to re-run the MCACC auto calibration on the receiver? I hope not because I am getting sick of doing the MCACC calibration. I have done at least 100 MCACC auto calibrations. LOL!!


NO MORE AUTO CALIBRATION PLEASE!!!!

LOL!!
post #11178 of 15621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post

The sub was tested prior to shipping, so the lead came off during shipping. But we're double checking all leads now to make sure they're nice and snug. Unless the noise is coming from an upstream source, the replacement amp will hopefully take care of it.
That's what I thought as far as the lead wire goes . Ive had the PB 13 ultra and PB 12 plus for almost 4 years with no issues . What great performing subs ! Thanks Ed for providing such outstanding subs with CS to match smile.gif
post #11179 of 15621
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydesign View Post

Let me know how the sealed mode sound. If the sound is good in sealed mode, I will give it a try.

Sealed mode also ensures that you'll get less max output. If I remember (again), you have a huge room, so probably little room gain. Sealed mode is typically great if the slow roll-off produced by this alignment is amplified by large room gain. In your case, I'm not sure you'd benefit from that. You may be better with all the output you can muster at 20 Hz.

In any case, don't hold your breath --- I'm on the verge of becoming a father, again. I don't see how I'll manage to find the time to take a frequency measurement for the next few years biggrin.gif.
Quote:
Also, when you switch to sealed mode, do I need to re-run the MCACC auto calibration on the receiver? I hope not because I am getting sick of doing the MCACC calibration. I have done at least 100 MCACC auto calibrations. LOL!!

Lol smile.gif MCACC is indeed a bit tedious. I was surprised that Audyssey is a bit faster actually. Anyway, as MCACC doesn't EQ the sub, changing the sub tuning will only superficially affect the overall sub level. You could readjust sub level manually if you have an SPL meter, but the difference should be a few dBs at most.
post #11180 of 15621
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

Sealed mode also ensures that you'll get less max output. If I remember (again), you have a huge room, so probably little room gain. Sealed mode is typically great if the slow roll-off produced by this alignment is amplified by large room gain. In your case, I'm not sure you'd benefit from that. You may be better with all the output you can muster at 20 Hz.

In any case, don't hold your breath --- I'm on the verge of becoming a father, again. I don't see how I'll manage to find the time to take a frequency measurement for the next few years biggrin.gif.
Lol smile.gif MCACC is indeed a bit tedious. I was surprised that Audyssey is a bit faster actually. Anyway, as MCACC doesn't EQ the sub, changing the sub tuning will only superficially affect the overall sub level. You could readjust sub level manually if you have an SPL meter, but the difference should be a few dBs at most.


Congrats on becoming a father again!


I am glad that you have convinced me to leave all ports open. Because I was going to throw my receiver right out the window if I had to do another auto calibration. LOL!
post #11181 of 15621
Neutro!

Congrats on adding another Component to the Family!!

Best Wishes!

CV's Family to Yours.
post #11182 of 15621
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionboy View Post

Yes Ive talked to SVS and a new amp is on the way. Hopefully it will take care of the problems as I would like to purchase an additional pb1000 for dual setup, but not if the issues remains. Thanks, and I will update.
Im certain it's not the cable for 2 reasons. 1. The cable worked fine with the old sub that I was upgrading from. No noise nor wake up issues. 2. The noise remain even after I unplug the sub woofer cable. The only way to stop the noise is to restart, or wait until it goes in standby again.
Yes I've tried the Y cable, and it did not help. I've pretty much exhausted all my options before calling up SVS.
Glad to hear SVS is hooking you up with a new amp . I'm sure that should take care of your issues .
post #11183 of 15621
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydesign View Post

Yes, I changed the setting on the amp for both subs. I changed to 16Hz. In order for me to get rid of the flapping sounds from both drivers, I had to turn the Master Volume on the Pioneer receiver way down to low listening level at -25. I usually listen to loud level between -5 to 0 on the Master Volume. Another thing I did was went back into the MCACC auto calibration setup and turn down the Trim Level way down. It did make the flapping sounds from the 2 drivers go away but now I don't get very much bass while watching movies. I use the PB-12 Pluses for movies only.

Maybe I will try to do the Sealed Mode next to see if the two drivers sound any better. But so far, leaving all 3 ports seems a better choice for my room.


But plugging in 1 port seems to lose a lot of bass because you either have to turn down the Master Volume way the heck down or turn the MCACC Trim Level way the heck down. I guess I am confused why there are so many PB-12 Pluse or PB-13 Ultra owners have the 1 port plug at 16Hz.
I'm not exactly sure what that flapping noise sounds like you described but you maybe pushing the drivers past there limits . You can damage them if you are but what's strange is you shouldn't be bottoming them out at the listening levels you've described . Also I can't beleive you have two faulty drivers that doesn't make much sense . Have you described the issue to SVS ? There pretty good at problem solving . What could take you days or weeks to find out the problem online SVS could probably solve with one call .
post #11184 of 15621
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post


I'm on the verge of becoming a father, again.

Congrats Neutro!!!

So, how did she break the news to you? You, can just the same speech and tell her a 3rd sub is on the way.............I mean, that seems fair to me, she is expecting a baby and you are expecting a subwoofer.........tongue.gif
post #11185 of 15621
Congratulations Neutro! smile.gif
post #11186 of 15621
Wait Neutro. We are talking about another sub right?

Haha

Congrats!!!
post #11187 of 15621
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydesign View Post

Congrats on becoming a father again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CV580DRVR View Post

Congrats on adding another Component to the Family!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

Congrats Neutro!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecter83 View Post

Congratulations Neutro! smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

Congrats!!!

Thanks guys smile.gif
Quote:
So, how did she break the news to you? You, can just the same speech and tell her a 3rd sub is on the way.............I mean, that seems fair to me, she is expecting a baby and you are expecting a subwoofer.........tongue.gif

Lol -- it's not exactly news, she's 36 weeks pregnant. I already broke the news in this thread like six months ago. And it was a very deliberate joint enterprise biggrin.gif

As for more subs... not in years smile.gif Also I was just getting back to more regular movie watching and game playing now that my first daughter approaches 3 yo, sleeps really tight, and sometimes spends the night with her aunt or grandparents. Now with another newborn in the house, I just think my setup will sit there unused most of the time... Having the house to myself to really bump the level up will be something very very rare from now on.

BTW my son-to-be really notice the bass. He wiggles a lot when we watch movies now tongue.gif
post #11188 of 15621
You people keep claiming that dual subs are so wonderful and give more balanced bass with fewer peaks and nulls, greater output, more accurate response over a wider range of signal, makes life better, cures scurvy, rickets and irritable bowel syndrome. You say this even though one sub works just fine, can play louder than necessary, sounds good when you sit in the sweet spot once you've got it positioned and calibrated. You think people should spend their hard-earned money on two, when one would suffice. For example, my bedroom theater's SVS SB-1000 provides all the bass I need and would ever need.

So I just bought another like new SB-1000 for the bedroom theater from the same Audiogon seller as I bought the first, and for the same price - $325.

Curse you all.
post #11189 of 15621
tongue.gif Congrats biggrin.gif
post #11190 of 15621
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

BTW my son-to-be really notice the bass. He wiggles a lot when we watch movies now tongue.gif
I understand that children learn their mother's and father's voices while in the womb, and regular sounds that they hear, so that they provide comfort when they are born. In which case, hopefully baby will sleep soundly while the bass is cranking wink.gifbiggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official SVS Owners/Support Thread.