or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official SVS Owners/Support Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 407

post #12181 of 15826
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

Looking forward to the pics and once again congrats on the sub.

Yeah, really good things happen when you are patient and willing to wait until the right opportunity arrives..............but, man.......it is really hard in this hobby. rolleyes.gif

So, cheers for you and please don't forget to post your initial impressions on this bad body.
Amen brother
post #12182 of 15826
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

Looking forward to the pics and once again congrats on the sub.

Yeah, really good things happen when you are patient and willing to wait until the right opportunity arrives..............but, man.......it is really hard in this hobby. rolleyes.gif

So, cheers for you and please don't forget to post your initial impressions on this bad body.
[IMG]
post #12183 of 15826
post #12184 of 15826
^^^

Edward - the SVS looks fantastic with the rest of your gear. I had myself a pair of RTi A7's at my room, those speakers are really good. What are you using to drive them? Just the AVR or are you using an external amp? Is that a CSiA5 center channel speaker?

Finally, did you have the chance to run calibration for your system? If yes, what do you think so far?

C'mon, don't be shy tell us..........wink.gif
post #12185 of 15826
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

^^^

Edward - the SVS looks fantastic with the rest of your gear. I had myself a pair of RTi A7's at my room, those speakers are really good. What are you using to drive them? Just the AVR or are you using an external amp? Is that a CSiA5 center channel speaker?

Finally, did you have the chance to run calibration for your system? If yes, what do you think so far?

C'mon, don't be shy tell us..........wink.gif

Unfortunately its not the bigger center channel I had to buy a center channel that fit inside my entertainment (WAF) and the CSiA6 or CSi5 don't fit so i had to settle with the CSi3 (but its alright i got it at a steal for only 20 dollars from Craigslist). I was running them with a Rotel Stereo Amp but i went back to using my Onkyo (TX-NR 809) i honestly don't think the amp i was using ran them better than my receiver So until i purchase an Emotiva XPA 5 i will continue to use the receiver.

And Finaly, yes the first thing i did was run the Calibration, and i cant believe that such a small sub woofer would be so accurate and powerful. The reason i have been looking for a sealed sub is due to the size restriction (WAF) and it surprised me. I will be looking for a second SB12-NSD for the future hopefully i can find a second one in the same price range :-)
post #12186 of 15826
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardccm View Post

Unfortunately its not the bigger center channel I had to buy a center channel that fit inside my entertainment (WAF) and the CSiA6 or CSi5 don't fit so i had to settle with the CSi3 (but its alright i got it at a steal for only 20 dollars from Craigslist).

Yeah, that is the only thing on the A5 or A6, they are really big speakers. But heck, paying only $20.00 for a center speaker was another great score for you!

WAF - nothing to do about it......rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardccm View Post

I was running them with a Rotel Stereo Amp but i went back to using my Onkyo (TX-NR 809) i honestly don't think the amp i was using ran them better than my receiver So until i purchase an Emotiva XPA 5 i will continue to use the receiver.

I guess you don't listen at crazy loud levels! So, if you typically run your system at moderate to mid levels, then you will not hear much difference between an external amp and your AVR. It is when you start cranking the volume up when you will notice that an external amp will keep playing your material louder and louder without distortion (granted you must have high quality source material to enjoy it - garbage in .........) and more important, you will not clip your speakers).

So, keep enjoying your speakers without going crazy and just wait for a good deal on a decent amp. But, once again...........all depends on you listening habits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardccm View Post

And Finaly, yes the first thing i did was run the Calibration, and i cant believe that such a small sub woofer would be so accurate and powerful.

Really happy for you! Now grab/rent a movie from this list and have fun with your system:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1333462/the-new-master-list-of-bass-in-movies-with-frequency-charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardccm View Post

The reason i have been looking for a sealed sub is due to the size restriction (WAF) and it surprised me.

Yep, that is one of the big factors from several buyers on going with sealed subs, small footprint (space required) and still very capable subs. They do also enhance a bit more your music listening experience (IMHO).
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardccm View Post

I will be looking for a second SB12-NSD for the future hopefully i can find a second one in the same price range :-)

Now you are pushing your luck..........but, I like the way that you think!

wink.gif
post #12187 of 15826
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post


Now you are pushing your luck..........but, I like the way that you think!

wink.gif

Im a very patient person all my AV gear i have gotten at great prices you let me know what you think:

Main Room
Onkyo TX-NR 809 - $320 (9 Month old)
Polk RTiA7 (Pair) - $300 (3 Month old , downgraded from Polk RTi 12 towers way to big for my room and WAF :-( )
CSi 3 - $20 (5 Month old)
Panasonic P60GT50 - $1200 (1 Year old)
SVS SB 12 NSD - $400 (1 day old :-)
No surrounds at the moment might be looking for some small KEF Eggs because of small form factor just missed some selling in my area for 120 KEF 3001 when i called they were already sold

Computer Room
Denon 2312CI - $200 (1 week ago on craigslist)
Polk OWM 3's - $50
Using Friend's Infinity PS10 Subwoofer - $ Free
post #12188 of 15826
I want to get some opinions. I currently have a PB-1000 in my living room which is 18x12x7 There is 2 openings maybe 30" wide. I really like my PB-1000. It is my first real sub but I keep wondering what if?? The PB12 NSD went on sale for $699 today. I was wondering if it would be a very noticeable difference if I upgraded to PB12. I know a lot of people are going to say get another 1000 but I don't have the room for another one. It will cost me around $270 to upgrade. I appreciate any thoughts.
post #12189 of 15826
Quote:
Originally Posted by tang7969 View Post

I want to get some opinions. I currently have a PB-1000 in my living room which is 18x12x7 There is 2 openings maybe 30" wide. I really like my PB-1000. It is my first real sub but I keep wondering what if?? The PB12 NSD went on sale for $699 today. I was wondering if it would be a very noticeable difference if I upgraded to PB12. I know a lot of people are going to say get another 1000 but I don't have the room for another one. It will cost me around $270 to upgrade. I appreciate any thoughts.

The biggest question is, are you hitting your current sub's limits, and how often? I'm not sure if the PB-1000 has a limiter LED like the NSD series (I think not). A PB-1000 at its limits may produce a bit of port noise and perhaps audible distortion but otherwise will simply stop being louder even if the volume is turned up. If not, then in all likelihood, upgrading to a single PB12-NSD will have little impact.

The PB12-NSD has about the same frequency response as the PB-1000, only about 3 dB louder in the low bass part of the spectrum (and almost the same performances in mid- and upper bass). In comparison, adding a second PB-1000 would provide perhaps 4-5 dB more output across the board, as well as provide a better bass uniformity / coverage across the room, and a smoother frequency response in-room.

However, if you decide to keep your PB-1000, there is one thing that will nag you forever, and that's the what if wink.gif Typically envy drives us to upgrade until we have a setup that is *totally* overkill for our listening habits. If you're feeling the PB-1000 already is beyond what you can demand of it, there won't be any change in sound. If you sometimes push the PB-1000 to its limits, then the NSD might give you the oomph needed to be content 98% of the time instead of 85% for example.

If you're looking for excuses... perhaps you'd really like the look of that metal grille? biggrin.gif
post #12190 of 15826
Quote:
Originally Posted by tang7969 View Post

I want to get some opinions. I currently have a PB-1000 in my living room which is 18x12x7 There is 2 openings maybe 30" wide. I really like my PB-1000. It is my first real sub but I keep wondering what if?? The PB12 NSD went on sale for $699 today. I was wondering if it would be a very noticeable difference if I upgraded to PB12. I know a lot of people are going to say get another 1000 but I don't have the room for another one. It will cost me around $270 to upgrade. I appreciate any thoughts.

Contact SVS and see what they say. They definitely won't push you into buying something that you don't need.

Of course if you only have room for one sub, they have the PB12+ in the outlet for $1249 biggrin.gif
post #12191 of 15826
If only space (and not budget) is a problem, he should instead look at a PC12-Plus for even less.
post #12192 of 15826
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

If only space (and not budget) is a problem, he should instead look at a PC12-Plus for even less.

You have a good point neut, but in this case I think covering your base/bass might be called for?? What say you Tang rolleyes.gifsmile.gif
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
I know a lot of people are going to say get another 1000 but I don't have the room for another one.

Seriously though> Do you have room to stack another PB-1000? That might be a option worth considering which would give you gain in output and flexibility down the road. options, more $$ with no trade-in though.
Edited by steve nn - 11/28/13 at 6:49am
post #12193 of 15826
Hey guys,

I have a quick question (once again in an effort to diminish my bass ignorance). When I first got my twin cylinders, I ran them in the stock configuration of 20Hz, mainly because I was concerned about headroom (I can be overly cautious) . It was not until recently that I re-tuned them to 16Hz. My understanding was that I would lose a bit of headroom in exchange for the added extension. Not a big deal, according to my reasoning at the time, because I can simply bump the trim to compensate. Thing is, even when they are calibrated to the exact same level, I don't get the same mid-bass slam I used to. Obviously, there is something else going on, and it is not so "simple" as I had thought. I am not sure what to do here, as I like the added extension... but even my wife has commented about the relative lack of mid bass (and that is saying something). I am tempted to re-tune back to 20Hz, as the extension is really only utilized on specific titles, where the "slam" would be present in a lot more (especially given the rising trend of applying HPF to big releases...frown.gif) Could someone point out where I'm all wet? Thanks!
Edited by Vader424242 - 11/27/13 at 7:19pm
post #12194 of 15826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post

Hey guys,

I have a quick question (once again in an effort to diminish my bass ignorance). When I first got my twin cylinders, I ran them in the stock configuration of 20Hz, mainly because I was concerned about headroom (I can be overly cautious) . It was not until recently that I re-tuned them to 16Hz. My understanding was that I would lose a bit of headroom in exchange for the added extension. Not a big deal, according to my reasoning at the time, because I can simply bump the trim to compensate. Thing is, even when they are calibrated to the exact same level, I don't get the same mid-bass slam I used to. Obviously, there is something else going on, and it is not so "simple" as I had thought. I am not sure what to do here, as I like the added extension... but even my wife has commented about the relative lack of mid bass (and that is saying something). I am tempted to re-tune back to 20Hz, as the extension is really only utilized on specific titles, where the "slam" would be present in a lot more (especially given the rising trend of applying HPF to big releases...frown.gif) Could someone point out where I'm all wet? Thanks!


Vader... those are the compromises of the "variable frequency tunning". If you choose "max extension", then you'll lose "mid bass" output for the sake of that extra extension. Ultimately, is all about the room you are in. In my 2800^3 movie room, I run my dual PB13-Ultras in the native, 20Hz tune and I find that is the best of both worlds..... I get plenty of extension (thanks to room-gain smile.gif ) and ... I don't loose any of that kick-ass, mid-bass slam from the Ultra driver. smile.gif

In your case, you may have to prioritize what's more important to you.... "max output" or "max extension". Considering how the majority of the Blu-Ray releases these days are "filtered" heavily around 25hz-30hz, I would think you should leave the "twins" at their 20 hz native tunning.
post #12195 of 15826
With all due respect, I have to disagree with Luis on a few points. I think the loss of slam is but a simple EQ issue.

16 Hz tuning is indeed very popular since it trades output for extension. The overall frequency response shape in 16 Hz tuning is also a bit changed. If Vader has a sub EQing solution (e.g. Audyssey or an external equalizer), he should run it again to regain a flatter EQ.

There are two aspects of EQing that can cause a lack of slam. First is the absolute output in mid-bass: to feel slam, you got to have high SPL around 60-80 Hz. The exact numbers can be debated but if, for example, you include a broad peak several dB high in your EQ centered at 60 Hz, you'll gain lots of slam to the point of your setup sounding more like a club sound system. Likewise, if a change in frequency response causes a dip in mid-bass, the setup will seem to lack slam.

The second aspect is relative balance between low (and ultra-low) bass and mid-bass. If low bass is enhanced, it can overwhelm the mid-bass. Raising the volume can provide the slam but be hard to listen to because of the high level of low bass. Sometimes high levels of low bass can be confused with "muddy" bass because of how it drowns mid-bass.

With 16 Hz tuning, without EQing my Pluses now have max output at 17 Hz or so. It's indeed terrific in movies, but with many music styles, it indeed lacks punch / slam / mid-bass. EQing flat helps a lot in that respect, but people who really like slam might want to tweak the EQ to bump mid-bass even more. In the best of worlds, one could have an external sub EQ solution that can be quickly set to ramp up in the low bass for movies, or set to have large amounts of slam for music, etc.

But all that can be achieved with SVS subs as you can reach any EQ balance under the max output curve.

That being said, without any sub EQing in place, the quickest way to fix things may indeed be to revert to 20 Hz tuning, and that is perfectly all right!
post #12196 of 15826
Thanks for the replys!

I am currently using Audyssey MultiEQ (not XT, or XT32.... though I plan on upgrading to XT32 come tax refund time), and here are the post Audyssey results: The green trace is with 16Hz tuning (no DEQ), the blue is 20Hz (no DEQ), and the red is 16Hz (w/ DEQ). Herein lies my confusion. Given how close the blue and red traces are (excepting extension), I would have guessed that simply raising the trim would have sounded the same in the mid bass region... ?

post #12197 of 15826
Indeed Vader, the blue and green traces should sound almost the same, so perhaps there's something else to it. After all... I haven't even tried my Pluses in 20 Hz tuning yet!

That being said, there is still a 2-3 dB difference between the blue and green traces, i.e. the blue one will overall sound a bit louder and is flatter in general. Does 16 Hz tuning with DEQ (red curve) sounds better than without DEQ? The tuning resonance will enhance ultra-low frequencies a lot but during music listening for example, shouldn't be too involved.

By the way, do you *only* have MultEQ in your setup? Because your response are really, really flat smile.gif Is this with smoothing?

Maybe what you feel as slam is more the 20 Hz resonance in 20 Hz tuning but that would surprise me: 20 Hz is a very very low rumble and while it is quite tactile I wouldn't describe that as slam. I get slam in my car which has no subwoofer, just because I'm close to the speakers and they play mid-bass loud enough. So in my mind, slam is not even totally the responsibility of the subs. By the way, do you use a 80 Hz crossover?

I'm not sure I can add much but if you find something that fixes your problem in 16 Hz mode, I'd be really interested, as many here would too.
post #12198 of 15826
Yup... just plain ole' MultiEQ (no smoothing). I just upgraded my seating to a faux-leather, so I am hoping to upgrade to XT32 to address the additional reflections in the higher frequencies...
Edited by Vader424242 - 11/28/13 at 8:46am
post #12199 of 15826
SVS just lowered the price on their Dual Subs specials. Just picked up some dual PB12-NSDs

http://www.svsound.com/dual-subwoofers
post #12200 of 15826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post

Yup... just plain ole' MultiEQ (no smoothing). I just upgraded my seating to a faux-leather, so I am hoping to upgrade to XT32 to address the additional reflections in the higher frequencies...

We used to adjust our calibration up a couple dB’s as we moved from 25 to 20 and then to 16hz tune. Although admittedly not very sophisticated, it seemed to do the trick in most cases.
Edited by steve nn - 11/28/13 at 9:31am
post #12201 of 15826
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbells View Post

SVS just lowered the price on their Dual Subs specials. Just picked up some dual PB12-NSDs

http://www.svsound.com/dual-subwoofers

Sweet, I just got my "twins" ( as someone coined it here) a couple of months ago - You'll love 'em!
post #12202 of 15826
I just bought a Denon AVR-X4000. This replaces my Onkyo TX-NR809. I'm getting ready for a second PB12 + DSP and also squeeze new SubEQ TH system.

The Denon reach me on Tuesday of next week, I'm already impatient with the new toy. I'll post some measurements of XT vs XT32.
post #12203 of 15826
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbells View Post

SVS just lowered the price on their Dual Subs specials. Just picked up some dual PB12-NSDs

http://www.svsound.com/dual-subwoofers

Congrats on the duals and looking forward to hear on your initial impressions!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecter83 View Post

I just bought a Denon AVR-X4000. This replaces my Onkyo TX-NR809. I'm getting ready for a second PB12 + DSP and also squeeze new SubEQ TH system.

The Denon reach me on Tuesday of next week, I'm already impatient with the new toy. I'll post some measurements of XT vs XT32.


That is pretty cool Lecter!!!!!

Congrats!
post #12204 of 15826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecter83 View Post

I just bought a Denon AVR-X4000. This replaces my Onkyo TX-NR809. I'm getting ready for a second PB12 + DSP and also squeeze new SubEQ TH system.

The Denon reach me on Tuesday of next week, I'm already impatient with the new toy. I'll post some measurements of XT vs XT32.

Very nice! Congrats on your new toy.
post #12205 of 15826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecter83 View Post

I just bought a Denon AVR-X4000. This replaces my Onkyo TX-NR809. I'm getting ready for a second PB12 + DSP and also squeeze new SubEQ TH system.

The Denon reach me on Tuesday of next week, I'm already impatient with the new toy. I'll post some measurements of XT vs XT32.

I was going to ask you for a detailed review as I'm really interested by the X4000. SubEQ HT would be useful for my dual Pluses, but as I already have an XT32-equipped receiver, what I'm really looking forward to is the no-fuss aspect of routing and networking capabilities. Yes, you can send all sources (including digital ones) to zones 2 and 3. You can have video from any source with audio from any other source if you want. You have DLNA, and AirPlay. Etc. etc.

But seeing that the X4000 is $400 off for the first time in Canada for the next week, looks like I'll have to buy without your review biggrin.gif
post #12206 of 15826
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

I was going to ask you for a detailed review as I'm really interested by the X4000. SubEQ HT would be useful for my dual Pluses, but as I already have an XT32-equipped receiver, what I'm really looking forward to is the no-fuss aspect of routing and networking capabilities. Yes, you can send all sources (including digital ones) to zones 2 and 3. You can have video from any source with audio from any other source if you want. You have DLNA, and AirPlay. Etc. etc.

But seeing that the X4000 is $400 off for the first time in Canada for the next week, looks like I'll have to buy without your review biggrin.gif
Buy it! You wont be sorry!
post #12207 of 15826
I just joined the SVS family with a PB-1000 purchase minutes ago. Excited!

Brian in Fresno...
post #12208 of 15826
Congrats Brian smile.gif
post #12209 of 15826
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbells View Post

SVS just lowered the price on their Dual Subs specials. Just picked up some dual PB12-NSDs

http://www.svsound.com/dual-subwoofers


I've been waiting for a sale like this. I picked up 2 as well. So stoked...
post #12210 of 15826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrindor View Post

Anyone know about SVS's upgrade policy? I have 2x PC13 Ultras and have had them for about 90 days (maybe a little longer). I recently moved my home theater into a bigger room, which Auddyssey has me turn them to -10DB each or so. I get some pretty massive port chuffling, even with the grill off, and even in sealed mode the bottoms on each sub make thumping sounds during very intense scenes. Pulse for example, the chuffling is insane with and without the grill. This is pretty well documented on here and other forums, and my old $500 20-39PCi doesn't have the issue.

I really don't know what to do here but I really don't expect this type of chuffling from nearly $2000 subs. I've heard the PB13s don't suffer from it, so I wonder if they'd let me upgrade and pay the difference. I already had to exchange one of the PC13 Ultras because it was faulty, and I don't really want to end up exchanging 3 of these subs. =/

Just bumping up what I said here. Still having the issue, I called them and they recommend doing the DB test, saying I should get +6db with both subs playing over 1 sub when they are both at 75DB. He said if I get lower, than one is out of phase. However, I did this, and they stayed the same volume on the DB meter (though to my ears it did sound louder). The port chuffling is very very bad, even in 20hz mode with all 3 ports open. The pulse server scene I have them set to -16DB, with -4DB on the receiver (audyssey calibrated), and I can easily hear chuffing over the bass from 15 feet away. One sub seems to do it MUCH worse than the other, if I turn it off, I would consider it "somewhat" acceptable on the other sub. They are both outputting the same DB levels though.

Simply put, not happy. I think I might take the amp out and swap polarity just to see if it fixes the issue, but I get port massive chuffling even with a single sub turned on. I don't see how this would help me in this case. The subs seem faulty, and that would make 3x PC13 Ultras in a row faulty for me. My friend also has a 4th PC13 Ultra and it does not do this..Really questioning the quality control here, and going to call them to see if I can just exchange and upgrade to the PB13-Ultras at the same time... However it's been slightly over 90 days since I purchased these, so I don't know what they're going to say.

EDIT: It definitely isn't room rattle or anything like that, the sound is coming from the top of the subs and sounds like air moving through a tube, almost like a vacuum. This is with the top lid off, if I put the top lid on the vacuum sound becomes about 3x worse
Edited by Tyrindor - 11/29/13 at 8:33pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official SVS Owners/Support Thread.