or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official SVS Owners/Support Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 444

post #13291 of 15598
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

I don't get the need for a light so you can know the sub is on. Seems pointless to me.

I like things that are active to be lighted, personally.
post #13292 of 15598
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

Congrats!

Just one question:
Where are the pics????

Thanks! And here are some pics of my newly installed SB-2000, including an iPad and a blu-ray cover for size comparizon: smile.gifCLICK HERE FOR (SEVERAL BIG SIZE) PHOTOS (Click to show)





post #13293 of 15598
Thanks, looks great!
post #13294 of 15598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

In Italy that's a calzone. wink.gif

Lol biggrin.gif

I think I misdescribed the composition of "cachopo".
It is breaded meat. Inside will filled with jerky, goat cheese, Cabrales cheese, manchego, asparagus asparagus or anything you can imagine or want.

Hahaha the calzone is a paste or dough stuffed with condiments.

Put the word "cachopo" in the search google and making it appear.
post #13295 of 15598
Damn, you people! Based on posts here and in the Definitive threads, I pulled the trigger on a SB2000 sight unseen to finish off the upgrade of my little theater room. Last week I added upgraded the main five to Definitive PM 65s, a CS8040 and SR8040s. Now my Pro Sub 1000 ported doesn't fit the bill anymore. I'm going to get divorced, end up homeless, and have nothing to my name but a bunch of kick-ass speakers.
post #13296 of 15598
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStockholm View Post

Thanks! And here are some pics of my newly installed SB-2000, including an iPad and a blu-ray cover for size comparizon: smile.gifCLICK HERE FOR (SEVERAL BIG SIZE) PHOTOS (Click to show)






Nice pictures, looks very elegant.

Thank you.

What are your impressions so far on the subwoofer?

We have been able to record in a room of 20 m2 96dB @ 16Hz to little more than 4 meters away with the SB2000.

A greeting.
post #13297 of 15598
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post

Thanks, looks great!

 

Nice avatar. 

post #13298 of 15598
I correct:

95dB @ 16Hz at the scene of the servers (Pulse). But since he can not.
And almost 100dB @ 20hz ...

Not bad for a subwoofer 12 "sealed.
post #13299 of 15598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecter83 View Post

What are your impressions so far on the subwoofer? We have been able to record in a room of 20 m2 96dB @ 16Hz to little more than 4 meters away with the SB2000.

Thank you Lecter83! So far only positive!! I am surprised how low it can go -- I can confirm that I get reasonable output even down to 15-16 Hz. OK, placed in the corner so I get some room gain, but impressive anyway!! And the build quality and looks are excellent. Only minor drawback is the grill which is just (too) massive. wink.gif
post #13300 of 15598
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStockholm View Post

Thanks! And here are some pics of my newly installed SB-2000, including an iPad and a blu-ray cover for size comparizon: smile.gifCLICK HERE FOR (SEVERAL BIG SIZE) PHOTOS (Click to show)







Thanks a lot for taking the time and sharing this pics with us. There was a lot of talking (in a bad way) regarding the vinyl finish on this unit. But, from the pictures actually looks pretty nice. The metal grill gives this SVS a high end look for a subwoofer at this price.

So, it seems I'll be adding an extra SVS subwoofer to my collection............wink.gif

Thanks again and please keep us posted with your impression on how this sub performs.
post #13301 of 15598
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStockholm View Post

Thank you Lecter83! So far only positive!! I am surprised how low it can go -- I can confirm that I get reasonable output even down to 15-16 Hz. OK, placed in the corner so I get some room gain, but impressive anyway!! And the build quality and looks are excellent. Only minor drawback is the grill which is just (too) massive. wink.gif

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Blasphemy!!!!!

tongue.gif
post #13302 of 15598
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post

I like things that are active to be lighted, personally.
I agree I think the lights on the front are pretty cool.
post #13303 of 15598
Hello,

I am writing this on behalf of a friend of mine that it trying to get the most out of a SVSPC-13 Ultra (older amp). He enjoys the low end, and the LFE enhancement is particularly noticeable for HT. However, he is also very much into his music collection. The complaint right now is that it does not do much for him on the higher end of the frequency spectrum. The PEQ is only in the lower end, and he is interested in the higher end at this point.

Other than plugging ports, what are things I should have him try? He is pairing with Maggies and Dual XPA-1 Monoblocks.
post #13304 of 15598
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post

I agree I think the lights on the front are pretty cool.

I don't mind it either. I put some semi-transparent duct tape over it dim it a bit, but I didn't cover it with electrical tape. A low-tech brightness control.
post #13305 of 15598
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post

A low-tech brightness control.

I went the low tech method. tongue.gif Works a treat.
post #13306 of 15598
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland6465 View Post

Damn, you people! Based on posts here and in the Definitive threads, I pulled the trigger on a SB2000 sight unseen to finish off the upgrade of my little theater room. Last week I added upgraded the main five to Definitive PM 65s, a CS8040 and SR8040s. Now my Pro Sub 1000 ported doesn't fit the bill anymore. I'm going to get divorced, end up homeless, and have nothing to my name but a bunch of kick-ass speakers.

You'll still have us.
post #13307 of 15598
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiger View Post

Hello,

I am writing this on behalf of a friend of mine that it trying to get the most out of a SVSPC-13 Ultra (older amp). He enjoys the low end, and the LFE enhancement is particularly noticeable for HT. However, he is also very much into his music collection. The complaint right now is that it does not do much for him on the higher end of the frequency spectrum. The PEQ is only in the lower end, and he is interested in the higher end at this point.

Other than plugging ports, what are things I should have him try? He is pairing with Maggies and Dual XPA-1 Monoblocks.

Your friend is lost. A subwoofer plays ONLY in the low end of the spectrum. If he wants more high frequencies, he needs to either EQ the system or buy better speakers. Plugging ports on the sub will tune it for lower freqs.
post #13308 of 15598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecter83 View Post

Lol biggrin.gif

I think I misdescribed the composition of "cachopo".
It is breaded meat. Inside will filled with jerky, goat cheese, Cabrales cheese, manchego, asparagus asparagus or anything you can imagine or want.

Hahaha the calzone is a paste or dough stuffed with condiments.

Put the word "cachopo" in the search google and making it appear.





Nashou
post #13309 of 15598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

You'll still have us.

I'm not sure you're selling it brother, lol.
post #13310 of 15598
Well, I figured out why I'm not hearing any chuffing from my cylinders... I watched Pulse again at a MV setting of -9dB below reference (on a relative scale), which had stuff vibrating all over the room, and rearranged several pictures on the walls upstairs. The sub amps are set at -11 (the max Audyssey would allow before minimizing the trim at -12dB on my AVR), the subs are run 3dB above what Audyssey set the trims at, my HT is approx 3200 ft^3, and I am about 12 feet from the subs. During the server room scene, I placed my hand over the ports... and could barely discern a breeze. In practice I set the volume for each movie at the maximum before my ears feel fatigued (usually, that means between 75-80dB for music, and movies see peaks between 90 and 95dB). Based on the fact that those experiencing chuffing (either PC or PB) is when pushing the subs to reference, I think I have quite a bit of headroom before I hear any problems...biggrin.gif

Now for my question... what is the best (most accurate) way to calibrate the sub level relative to the mains for stereo (2.1) listening? I have found that if I use the same L/R and sub levels as HT, the subs might as well not be there. I goosed the sub trim another 2dB, and that sounded better, but I would prefer it be correct rather than just "sound better." Any suggestions? Thanks!
Edited by Vader424242 - 1/22/14 at 8:42pm
post #13311 of 15598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

wink.gif


I'm pretty sure the B4+ was actually a production model. smile.gif

Edit: found this
http://www.avsforum.com/t/206188/svs-b4-plus-subwoofer-is-this-real-or-theoretical

Nice job Scoop Sat!. Yeah neut! those were a specialty order Item if I remember correctly? pretty sure..
post #13312 of 15598
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Nice job Scoop Sat!. Yeah neut! those were a specialty order Item if I remember correctly? pretty sure..

Thanks. I have fond memories of SVS in the earlier days. I really enjoyed my 16-46PC+ for over 10 years. I recently sold it and was a little sad to see it go. frown.gif
post #13313 of 15598
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post




Nashou

+1

Right, here we have a real "Cachopo" (ñammm, which is good!) biggrin.gif
post #13314 of 15598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post

Well, I figured out why I'm not hearing any chuffing from my cylinders... I watched Pulse again at a MV setting of -9dB below reference (on a relative scale), which had stuff vibrating all over the room, and rearranged several pictures on the walls upstairs. The sub amps are set at -11 (the max Audyssey would allow before minimizing the trim at -12dB on my AVR), the subs are run 3dB above what Audyssey set the trims at, my HT is approx 3200 ft^3, and I am about 12 feet from the subs. During the server room scene, I placed my hand over the ports... and could barely discern a breeze. In practice I set the volume for each movie at the maximum before my ears feel fatigued (usually, that means between 75-80dB for music, and movies see peaks between 90 and 95dB). Based on the fact that those experiencing chuffing (either PC or PB) is when pushing the subs to reference, I think I have quite a bit of headroom before I hear any problems...biggrin.gif

Now for my question... what is the best (most accurate) way to calibrate the sub level relative to the mains for stereo (2.1) listening? I have found that if I use the same L/R and sub levels as HT, the subs might as well not be there. I goosed the sub trim another 2dB, and that sounded better, but I would prefer it be correct rather than just "sound better." Any suggestions? Thanks!

I set my sub uo with my trusty Radio Shack SPL meter. I calibrate all the speakers to be 75db at MLP. I haven't measured with REW, yet, so I'm probably running the sub muy caliente. I set my center channel to 0db trim to 75db on the meter and go from there. My sub is at +5.0db trim for 75db. Mains are -db.
post #13315 of 15598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

I set my sub uo with my trusty Radio Shack SPL meter. I calibrate all the speakers to be 75db at MLP. I haven't measured with REW, yet, so I'm probably running the sub muy caliente. I set my center channel to 0db trim to 75db on the meter and go from there. My sub is at +5.0db trim for 75db. Mains are -db.

Sorry if this question is a little basic but when you say you set all your speakers at 75 db how exactly do you do that?

and what is DB trim?
post #13316 of 15598
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post

Sorry if this question is a little basic but when you say you set all your speakers at 75 db how exactly do you do that?

and what is DB trim?

No question is too basic. And there is no such thing as a stupid question.

I don't have a preamp/processor. I have an OPPO BDP-105, which has adjustments for speaker distance to Main Listening Position (MLP) and Trim Level for each speaker. Trim Level is an adjustment specifically for each speaker to increase or decrease the level for that speaker. All of my speakers are at different distances from my Main Listening Position. Therefore, each speaker has its own trim level to make the speakers sound equidistant from my MLP.

I get my SPL meter, select C-Weighted and Slow Response. I sit down in my MLP (since that's the only seating position that matters to me!).

I select my Center Channel Speaker. I make sure the Trim Level is set to 0db (I calibrate around my Center because it's the most important to me for dialog). I turn up the volume until the meter reads 75db. Now my volume is set at the calibrated level.

Then, I select my Main Front Speakers. With the volume set at the calibrated level, I adjust the trim level for the Front Main Speakers to read 75db on the meter. I don't care what the trim level is at, because the volume hasn't changed.

Then, I select the Sub and adjust its trim level to 75db. I think it's supposed to be 85db. But, the way my system is setup and the limits of the SPL meter, I set it to 75db. Once I get REW running, I'm sure I will be readjusting my sub trim level.

With this calibration, I can hear my center clearly, my mains don't drown out my center and my sub lets me know it's there. Oh, yeah...I only run 3.1 for now. Don't have surrounds, yet. But, they will be calibrated using the same method that my main speakers were.
Edited by Mongo171 - 1/23/14 at 4:48am
post #13317 of 15598
Quote:
And there is no such thing as a stupid question.
Not in this case, but sure there is. smile.gif
post #13318 of 15598
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Not in this case, but sure there is. smile.gif

When I was going to school, one of my instructors told us that. I mean, there are lame question, smart a$$ questions, questions that don't really need to be asked. However, we all were in the same boat, once upon a time. I know I wasn't born with the knowledge or the formulas to find out that the decibel works on a logarithmic scale. Doubling the power is a 3db gain. 10 times the power is a 10db gain.

Then we learn from others before us and we then pass it on to new people.
post #13319 of 15598
Quote:
I mean, there are lame question, smart a$$ questions, questions that don't really need to be asked.
IMO, those are perfect examples of stupid questions. smile.gif
Quote:
I know I wasn't born with the knowledge or the formulas to find out that the decibel works on a logarithmic scale. Doubling the power is a 3db gain. 10 times the power is a 10db gain.

Then we learn from others before us and we then pass it on to new people.
Learning and sharing are wonderful processes, and sites such as this one play useful roles in both of them.
Edited by eljaycanuck - 1/23/14 at 5:12am
post #13320 of 15598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

No question is too basic. And there is no such thing as a stupid question.

I don't have a preamp/processor. I have an OPPO BDP-105, which has adjustments for speaker distance to Main Listening Position (MLP) and Trim Level for each speaker. Trim Level is an adjustment specifically for each speaker to increase or decrease the level for that speaker. All of my speakers are at different distances from my Main Listening Position. Therefore, each speaker has its own trim level to make the speakers sound equidistant from my MLP.

I get my SPL meter, select C-Weighted and Slow Response. I sit down in my MLP (since that's the only seating position that matters to me!).

I select my Center Channel Speaker. I make sure the Trim Level is set to 0db (I calibrate around my Center because it's the most important to me for dialog). I turn up the volume until the meter reads 75db. Now my volume is set at the calibrated level.

Then, I select my Main Front Speakers. With the volume set at the calibrated level, I adjust the trim level for the Front Main Speakers to read 75db on the meter. I don't care what the trim level is at, because the volume hasn't changed.

Then, I select the Sub and adjust its trim level to 75db. I think it's supposed to be 85db. But, the way my system is setup and the limits of the SPL meter, I set it to 75db. Once I get REW running, I'm sure I will be readjusting my sub trim level.

With this calibration, I can hear my center clearly, my mains don't drown out my center and my sub lets me know it's there. Oh, yeah...I only run 3.1 for now. Don't have surrounds, yet. But, they will be calibrated using the same method that my main speakers were.

Awesome, thanks.

I checked out the 105 and saw no trim knobs for the individual channels. Is this remote only access?

Does the 103 offer the same feature?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official SVS Owners/Support Thread.