Sony KDL 40R450A
2. What convinced you to purchase this particular model.
Published reviews and prior Sony ownership '
3. What you like best about your LCD.
It has decent speakers good 5000:1 static contrast ratio
decent accurate color .
4. What you don't like about your LCD.
viewing angle is very narrow the panel could be a little brighter at max back light. .
5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your LCD had.
A panel calibration adjustment options in serv menu.
brighter back light
6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your LCD.
Brighter back light, color management options
7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your LCD.
Use of 6bit + high FRC Samsung SPVA panel rather than an 8 bit panel
no color management control /calibration other than basic settings .
8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your LCD.
Picture quality required some adjustment back light while adequate could be brighter.
9. Do you really think that today's "Prices" are worth it.
prices are generally good historically speaking.
10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged.
good picture at it's price point after adjustment.
No picture or color management adjustments in serv .menu .
Sony KDL 40R450A Best Settings ,
Cinema mode + Cinema Scene select
All Eco settings @ OFF
Backlight @ Max
Brightness @ 57 - 61 or preference depending on program
Color @ 55 -57 to preference depending on program
Hugh /Tint @ G3 to preference depending on program
Contrast (picture ) @ Max
Color Temp @ Neutral
Cine Motion @ Auto
Wide mode @ Full
Auto Wide @ On
4:3 defailt @ Off
Auto Display area @ OFF
Dispay Area @ Full Pixel or +1 depending on source
These settings result in best overall results and best color accuracy
short of a professional measured calibration.
I was able to get a pretty decent HD picture competitive or better than
most similar price. I tried lots of different settings including AVS HD.709
and found the above settings to work best .
The narrow viewing angle is a weaknesses one should consider though .
Edited by tubetwister - 4/14/14 at 10:09pm