or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Mitsubishi LT-46131 & LT-46231 (46" 1080p LCD) Owner / Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Mitsubishi LT-46131 & LT-46231 (46" 1080p LCD) Owner / Discussion Thread - Page 95

post #2821 of 3041
Has anyone had any luck switching inputs using another remote? I have tried both my Tivo and Cable box remotes and nothing works. I hate having to keep the TV remote lying around just so I can switch inputs to watch TV, DVD, etc.............
post #2822 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnrok23 View Post

Has anyone had any luck switching inputs using another remote? I have tried both my Tivo and Cable box remotes and nothing works. I hate having to keep the TV remote lying around just so I can switch inputs to watch TV, DVD, etc.............

I use the Logitech Harmony "for Xbox 360" model universal remote. It switches inputs on the television with no problem. I'm sure that any of the Harmony remotes will work equally well.

There are discrete codes for each of the inputs which you can make the remote emit (so that they can be recorded by learning universal remotes). This FAQ tells how to turn those on (see the answer to "Are there Discrete Power / Input Remote Control Codes from the Stock Remote?").
post #2823 of 3041
Interesting! I'll bet that exact part is used in something else they manufacture, if we could only figure out what it is. I don't guess you also noticed any unused Molex plugs on the cabling..... That would be too much to ask.
post #2824 of 3041
Wow. not may recent posts. Anyway, I recently had to replace the DM board in my LT-46231 and all is now fine. One interesting thing is that now I can select the "Low" color temperature in the "Brilliant" picture mode. I recall in past posts a few other people mentioned that the color temperature in the "Brilliant mode was pre-set to "High" and could not be changed to "Low". Low is much closer to 6500k color temperature for most input signal sources. The "High" color temperature is very bright, but cool, leaning to the bluish side of the color spectrum.

I am wondering if there are different rev levels of the DM board and perhaps my replacement board has updated firmware to allow the "Low" temperature selection for the "Brilliant" picture mode? Well, I'm not tearing the set apart again to see if there is a different rev number. I did notice a different label over the part number; but assumed it was because it was a replacement DM board.

I am really enjoying this HDTV all over again. It still has outstanding clarity, natural color balance, and is very easily adjusted to provide a very natural and realistic picture. I also use the IEEE1394 port for a hard disk DVR (RCA Scenium 2160) and make lots of use of the built-in TV Guide On Screen. I just hope the TVGOS still works when the OTA signal goes all digital in 2009. I'm not holding my breath on that. Maybe I should call Mitsubishi and see if they can tell me. I read somewhere that if the circuitry is TVGOS 9.0 then it should still work, for whatever that is worth.
post #2825 of 3041
Not sure about my 46131, since it's in FL, but here in NC, my 37132 (equiv. to 46231 re: FW features, manu. Jan 07) will allow both color temp's in Brilliant mode. I'm pretty sure the 46231 would have worked the same way......

I wouldn't be surprised that if the TVGOS doesn't work with digital OTA, a FW update could correct that. There would be a lot of pressure on Mitsubishi to correct any failing with it.
post #2826 of 3041
Has anyone had an issue with exactly half the screen being slightly, but noticeably darker than the other half for the hdmi inputs? What would cause this only on hdmi inputs? I tried system reset and CS said that there aren't any known software issues with this model (LT-46231).

I first noticed this about a year ago when I got my set back from a service center (they fixed an inch by 6 inch strip of discolored screen in the upper right corner while it was still under warranty) but it stopped after a couple days so I stupidly didn't say anything about it. Now my set is out of warranty and the problem is back and very noticeable when watching movies or playing games.
post #2827 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhineth View Post

Has anyone had an issue with exactly half the screen being slightly, but noticeably darker than the other half for the hdmi inputs? What would cause this only on hdmi inputs? I tried system reset and CS said that there aren't any known software issues with this model (LT-46231).

Hmmmm.... Have you tried disabling ALL picture enhancing items in the user menu such as noise reduction, DeepFieldImager, etc? How about trying anothe DVD player using the HDMI inputs? It's rare to have HDMI compatibility issues with this HDTV, but who knows?
post #2828 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

Hmmmm.... Have you tried disabling ALL picture enhancing items in the user menu such as noise reduction, DeepFieldImager, etc? How about trying anothe DVD player using the HDMI inputs? It's rare to have HDMI compatibility issues with this HDTV, but who knows?

Actually, after looking more closely, this is evident on all inputs. It is just more noticeable on the hdmi inputs.

I've tried taking off all the enhancing items, to no avail. I'm waiting on a service center to talk this over with Mitsu CS. I'm out of my warranty, but I had to replace my panel last Sept. and there is a good chance Mitsu will pay for the repair as these panels should be lasting much longer than a year.

I actually think that this problem has existed since I had my panel replaced last year, but has just become more pronounced. I wonder if the new panel was installed incorrectly or if it was faulty from the beginning.

Anyway, between having to swap sets when I first got it because of the power supply issue and now having my second panel go bad, I'm a little disappointed. Mitsu CS has been very good, though, which is very important to me, and the set looks great when it is working, so I won't count out Mitsubishi in the future.
post #2829 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhineth View Post

Actually, after looking more closely, this is evident on all inputs. It is just more noticeable on the hdmi inputs.

I actually think that this problem has existed since I had my panel replaced last year, but has just become more pronounced. I wonder if the new panel was installed incorrectly or if it was faulty from the beginning.

I would agree. Its sounds as though the replacement panel maybe be faulty or have been "stressed" before or while being installed. Uneven pressure on an LCD screen will cause uneven shading and it may be aggrivated as the panel heats up during use. I empathize with your plight. I love the features and outstanding picture quality of my LT-46231 also. I had a DM board failure after just 19 months. The replacement is ok so far. Although I've placed a small 3" cooling fan on the rear cabinet grill near the DM board. There is an unused internal fan mount on the DM board metal cover. So it appeared that Mitsubishi had originally intended a fan to be there. If my TV fails again, I am considering another brand also such as a Samsung. My opinion is that a large [40" and up] LCD panel is difficult to manufacture and the process must be critical when sandwiching the layers of glass, plastic, etc when constructing the LCD panel. Uneven pressure, bonding material, etc I would think could cause a lot of the clouding, banding, columns, etc that other LCD sets have had in the last two years.
post #2830 of 3041
I am moving and for the next 6 months or so will not be using the TV. Is it OK to just leave it off for that long, should I turn it on every once in a while and play a movie or something?

Thanks
post #2831 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4SMX View Post


I wouldn't be surprised that if the TVGOS doesn't work with digital OTA, a FW update could correct that. There would be a lot of pressure on Mitsubishi to correct any failing with it.

I was just looking thru the service manual the other day and the VLP33 and VLP34 Mits chassis, which we have, get its TVGOS from the VIB signal embedded in the ANALOG strem from most PBS stations. The manual shows circuit diagrams and I don't see how a firmware upgrade would rewire hardware to collect and process a digital TVGOS signal. If you go the the Gemstar/Macrovison website it lists some Mitsubishi sets that will decode and process digital TVGOS. The LT-XX231 series is not on it.

That being said, Dish claims that their DTVPal can be used with analog TVGOS devices to convert the digital TVGOS data so that older analog TVGOS can use it. I read a ton of info on that including a page from the DTVPal and I see no conclusive evidence that it really does this. I used the TVGOS to program and record HD shows on an IEEE1394 RCA Scenium DVR. It works well, but will only work for "real time" recording come February '09. The guys that have Sony DHG-HDD250s & 500s also want some kind of digital converter.

So, if anyone knows of an inexpensive Digital TVGOS to analog converter device. . . it would be appreciated. Mitsubishi states a user who has cable can connect a splitter up to antenna 2 input and use that for TVGOS come February as long as the cable company strips the digital TVGOS signal and converts it for customers of older analog TVGOS devices. Why the splitter and antenna 2 input is necessary?? Who knows. Otherwise, Dish is coming out soon with a TR-50 OTA DVR for about $250 to $300 in December I believe. It will only record up to 30 hrs of HD programs though.
post #2832 of 3041
Not sure if anyone has this setup, but posting anyway. I have a Toshiba Symbio 160HD4 hooked up to the 46231. I have been using this for about 6 months. I was going to watch some recorded shows, and when I select the input for the AVDisc, nothing is showing up on the screen (generally a menu shows up with all the recorded shows listed). I have unplugged the power from the Symbio, then re-connected to the TV, but it still nothing shows up. After powering down/up the Symbio, all the lights come on (Blue/Red/Blue), then after a few seconds only the Blue power light is on (I think this is normal). The TVGOS is working fine, and if I manually try to record a show, it acts like it is recording, although the Red recording light on the Symbio is not on. There is a recessedwhite button on the back of the Symbio (reset button???) that I have pushed, but this does not seem to do anything. Does anyone know what the button is used for?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
post #2833 of 3041
Is this TVGOS only a problem for PBS channels?

If so, it seems like a minor issue unless the government takes over all the others. (Could they please buy NBC from GE?)
post #2834 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttsthree View Post

Not sure if anyone has this setup, but posting anyway. I have a Toshiba Symbio 160HD4 hooked up to the 46231. I have been using this for about 6 months. I was going to watch some recorded shows, and when I select the input for the AVDisc, nothing is showing up on the screen (generally a menu shows up with all the recorded shows listed). I have unplugged the power from the Symbio, then re-connected to the TV, but it still nothing shows up. After powering down/up the Symbio, all the lights come on (Blue/Red/Blue), then after a few seconds only the Blue power light is on (I think this is normal). The TVGOS is working fine, and if I manually try to record a show, it acts like it is recording, although the Red recording light on the Symbio is not on. There is a recessedwhite button on the back of the Symbio (reset button???) that I have pushed, but this does not seem to do anything. Does anyone know what the button is used for?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sometimes you need to disconnect and then reconnect the Firewire cable, sometimes you need to power cycle the AVHDD unit, and sometimes you need to reset the TV using the recessed button under the little front door. That usually helps my 46131 when it gets confused regarding Firewire.
post #2835 of 3041
Has anyone used the Panasonic DMP-BD55 blu-ray player with the LT-46131 TV, I am planning to buy this player but just wondering if they work well together.
Thanks
post #2836 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfahan View Post

Has anyone used the Panasonic DMP-BD55 blu-ray player with the LT-46131 TV, I am planning to buy this player but just wondering if they work well together.
Thanks

I'm using that combination, with the BD55 feeding the LT-46131 directly, and it works great over HDMI, including 1080p24. I'm getting only stereo sound, of course, but if I finally get an AV receiver, I'm confident that they will work together.

The only reason I got the BD55 rather than the BD35 is in case I might want to use my stereo system as front speakers and use a separate analog amp for the surrounds. If you plan to use only stereo TV sound or you plan to get a modern receiver that can decode the new lossless codecs over HDMI 1.3, the BD35 should be just as good.

And I almost forgot: The LT-46131 apparently needs to have "HDMI RGB Output Range" set to Enhanced for some reason. At least that seems to look much better with the settings I use.
post #2837 of 3041
Hopefully some good fellow AVS member can shed some light on this...

I've got a 2 yr. old (out of warranty) TV that I love - when it works, but lately - especially when changing the channel to a 720p source - I get a blue screen. If I change back to a 1080 channel then back again, sometimes it'll be OK.

It also has an annoying habit of going to "lost power" mode at times.

Anyone else out there experiencing the same symptoms?
post #2838 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by perrycom View Post

Hopefully some good fellow AVS member can shed some light on this...

I've got a 2 yr. old (out of warranty) TV that I love - when it works, but lately - especially when changing the channel to a 720p source - I get a blue screen. If I change back to a 1080 channel then back again, sometimes it'll be OK.

It also has an annoying habit of going to "lost power" mode at times.

Anyone else out there experiencing the same symptoms?

Blue Screen - no. Lost power - a few times, but have never confirmed whether it was the TV or an intermitent power line issue. The biggest problem with it is that the cable card has to reset. Pretty rare, maybe 4 times in a year.
post #2839 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by perrycom View Post

Hopefully some good fellow AVS member can shed some light on this...

I've got a 2 yr. old (out of warranty) TV that I love - when it works, but lately - especially when changing the channel to a 720p source - I get a blue screen. If I change back to a 1080 channel then back again, sometimes it'll be OK.

It also has an annoying habit of going to "lost power" mode at times.

Anyone else out there experiencing the same symptoms?

About the only time I see a blue screen is when I try to tune a channel that is off the air. But if by "lost power" mode you mean a reset (where the TV goes off and blinks its blue light for about a minute), I do see that occasionally. I have an AVHDD disk drive connected, and I think the resets usually result from some sort of Firewire confusion.
post #2840 of 3041
L. David Matheny wrote: "And I almost forgot: The LT-46131 apparently needs to have "HDMI RGB Output Range" set to Enhanced for some reason. At least that seems to look much better with the settings I use."

David, where is this setting?
post #2841 of 3041
Wow, my wife just got me my first Blu-Ray player for Hannukah and I'm totally jazzed. Hooked it up last night and it's not looking right on my LT-46131. Previously I had the wonderful Oppo DV-981HD and after some adjusting it looked great. Now with the Sony, the contrast looks milky compared to the Oppo and DirecTV. No matter what adjustments I make to the display, I can't get the blacks as black as before. I've only tried this with regular DVD's, I haven't tried a Blu-Ray yet.
In a post from L David Matheny he mentioned setting the "HDMI RGB Output Range" to Enhanced. I can't seem to find where to do this. Any help or ideas are appreciated.
post #2842 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by abernardi View Post

L. David Matheny wrote: "And I almost forgot: The LT-46131 apparently needs to have "HDMI RGB Output Range" set to Enhanced for some reason. At least that seems to look much better with the settings I use."

David, where is this setting?

I guess I could have made that clearer. That setting is in the Panasonic DMP-BD55 Blu-ray player setup.
post #2843 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by abernardi View Post

Wow, my wife just got me my first Blu-Ray player for Hannukah and I'm totally jazzed. Hooked it up last night and it's not looking right on my LT-46131. Previously I had the wonderful Oppo DV-981HD and after some adjusting it looked great. Now with the Sony, the contrast looks milky compared to the Oppo and DirecTV. No matter what adjustments I make to the display, I can't get the blacks as black as before. I've only tried this with regular DVD's, I haven't tried a Blu-Ray yet.
In a post from L David Matheny he mentioned setting the "HDMI RGB Output Range" to Enhanced. I can't seem to find where to do this. Any help or ideas are appreciated.

That setting is in my Panasonic DMP-BD55 Blu-ray player setup, but it's possible that your Sony has something similar. I thought full-range RGB values (0 - 255) were designed for use with computer displays, while the standard values (16 - 235, I think) were for TVs. But my LT-46131 definitely looks better with the full-range values. Let us know if you find a similar setting in your Sony.
post #2844 of 3041
Two years now and still going strong with my LT-46131. How 'bout y'all???
post #2845 of 3041
No problems with my LT-46231 after two years (knock wood ). I bought it at Fry's Electronics in San Marcos, CA and I believe that it was delivered on 15 January 2007.
post #2846 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post

That setting is in my Panasonic DMP-BD55 Blu-ray player setup, but it's possible that your Sony has something similar. I thought full-range RGB values (0 - 255) were designed for use with computer displays, while the standard values (16 - 235, I think) were for TVs. But my LT-46131 definitely looks better with the full-range values. Let us know if you find a similar setting in your Sony.

Thanks David. That definitely improved things. I just got the blu-ray DVE HD Basics and I'm going to go thru the setup.
post #2847 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post

That setting is in my Panasonic DMP-BD55 Blu-ray player setup, but it's possible that your Sony has something similar. I thought full-range RGB values (0 - 255) were designed for use with computer displays, while the standard values (16 - 235, I think) were for TVs. But my LT-46131 definitely looks better with the full-range values. Let us know if you find a similar setting in your Sony.

Thanks...good to know!
post #2848 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsuDude View Post

Two years now and still going strong with my LT-46131. How 'bout y'all???

Everything fine here! Will have it's two year old birthday in March. . .

Eneg
post #2849 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsuDude View Post

Two years now and still going strong with my LT-46131. How 'bout y'all???

My LT-46231 will be 2 years old on January 28, 2009. Still love the PQ and array of inputs. New sets seem to lack s-video and even component video inputs. What, we're not supposed to have older VCRs, camcorders, DVD recorders, etc that use these inputs?? I use the full array of inputs the Mits 131/231 have plus the IEEE my 231 has for DVR recording. Try and find an HDTV today with all the inputs and features this set has. One reason I went to this model when I did. It was rumored that the older technology inputs would disappear, but I didn't think it would be this soon. HDMI is great for DVD, HD DVD, Blu-ray, etc. But look at the switching and connection problems some folks have. And, BTW, I still think HDMI was pushed more so that signals could not be copied or recorded. Pretty soon, no one will ever remember there WERE analog signals. Kind of a shame. I use RGB and S-video to connect up some Mitsubishi and Sony S-VHS VCRs and record my family 8mm and VHS video tapes to DVD. Some tapes are getting to be 20 years old and need this.
BTW, I also use an RCA ATSC21 HDTV tuner to feed wide screen digital TV programs on the Sony S-VHS VCR. No, it's not 1080p, but it is suprisingly good and i can time shift and view programs WS off of S-video tape. If my Mits lt-46231 didn't have s-video inputs this wouldn't be possible.
post #2850 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsuDude View Post

Two years now and still going strong with my LT-46131. How 'bout y'all???

Got my 46231 back in Jan 07 and it still like the day I got it-excellent PQ ZERO problems. I have recently bought a Samsung 52A850 which does surpass the MITS but I'm still loving that 231.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Mitsubishi LT-46131 & LT-46231 (46" 1080p LCD) Owner / Discussion Thread