or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Major League Soccer in HD on ESPN2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Major League Soccer in HD on ESPN2 - Page 2

post #31 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

Awesome! Too bad I STILL don't get ESPN2 HD.

Yeah tell me about it. Even during the world cup it was nice seeing the matches in HD but the matches on ESPN2 had to watch it SD.
post #32 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

ESPN2 has shown the CL final in HD the past 2 seasons. It would be nice if they would show the games at least starting in the knockout stages. I'm sure it would be a logistics nightmare to get HD at many of the smaller stadiums.


I emailed ESPN about this and even through they are produced in HD for certain countries, the feed that espn contracts is not HD.

Awesome that MLS is gonna be in HD now on ESPN/ESPN2. I've been jones'n for soccer in HD since the World Cup.
post #33 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarloewen View Post

Euro 2000 and 2004 were only on PPV and had no HD broadcast.

The info I got was from here:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434846

The poster there runs a soccertv website and generally has very good information regarding televised soccer.

EURO2004 had select matches in HD on INHD, 5 stadiums were wired for HD.
post #34 of 134
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by roachxp View Post

EURO2004 had select matches in HD on INHD, 5 stadiums were wired for HD.

Very cool, I didn't know that!

I only got HD hooked up in 2005...
post #35 of 134
was thinking about this last night so excited to hear about the news that the MLS will be HD. now all I need to enter a complete nirvana state is for the FSC and Setanta to be in HD.
post #36 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedeye View Post

NHL didn't have enough viewers, but MLS is going to?????

I'd say definately now.....

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...399471&cc=5901

Updated: Jan. 11, 2007
Beckham agrees five-year $250m LA Galaxy deal

David Beckham will leave Real Madrid at the end of the season and join side Los Angeles Galaxy on a £128million ($250 million) five-year deal - which works out at a mere half-a-million pounds a week.

The former England captain will leave Real in June and begin his new career in Major League Soccer in August.

Beckham said in a statement: 'This week, Real Madrid asked me to make a decision regarding my future and the offer to extend my contract by a further two seasons.

'After discussing several options with my family and advisers to either stay here at Madrid or join other major British and European clubs, I have decided to join the Los Angeles Galaxy and play in the MLS from August this year.

'I would like to thank the supporters and people of Madrid who have made my family and I feel so welcome in my time here, making this an extremely difficult decision to make.

'I have enjoyed my time in Spain enormously and I am extremely grateful to the club for giving me the opportunity to play for such a great team and their amazing fans.

'I am proud to have played for two of the biggest clubs in football and I look forward to the new challenge of growing the world's most popular game in a country that is as passionate about its sport as my own.

'For the rest of this season I will continue to give 100% to my coach, team mates and fans as I believe Fabio Capello will bring this club and its supporters the success they truly deserve.'

In terms of finances it is a mega deal and compares with the biggest in mainstream US sports American football and baseball.

The MLS have recently changed their salary cap rules to allow sides to make 'marquee signings' of top international stars. The Beckham deal will see the 31-year-old benefit directly from all his image rights and related sponsorship deals which in the past have had to be shared with his club.

The Real Madrid future of the world's most famous footballer had been shrouded in doubt, especially after coach Fabio Capello this week dropped him from the squad - the first time it had happened to Beckham since he moved from Manchester United in July 2003.

During those three and a half years, Beckham has seen six different coaches appointed while Real have failed to win a single trophy.

Capello's arrival at the start of the season could have heralded a new era for Beckham, who was dropped from new England boss Steve McClaren's squad in August, but instead he found himself often sidelined.

Real had been very keen to keep the midfielder - his marketing power remains a huge draw to fans across the globe - but after talks today he announced he will be moving to Los Angeles.

Real Madrid confirmed Beckham would be leaving in the summer in a statement today.

The statement read: 'Real Madrid have had a meeting with representatives of David Beckham this morning in the offices of the Santiago Bernabeu stadium.

'After this meeting both parties have decided that David will not extend his present contract with the club, which finishes on June 30, 2007.'
post #37 of 134
Huh. I posted in the "Sports that would benefit most greatly with HD" thread that I didn't recall an announcement that ESPN2 showing MLS games this season in HD--and yet, it was posted right here back in November. Even more surprising was the fact that I had actually responded to that post. Stupid brain...

post #38 of 134
Perhaps Beckham's signing by the Galaxy will move the MLS ratings a bit, but I have serious doubts.

It worked (briefly) a generation ago with Pele, but even then the ratings were abysmal.
post #39 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

Perhaps Beckham's signing by the Galaxy will move the MLS ratings a bit, but I have serious doubts.

It worked (briefly) a generation ago with Pele, but even then the ratings were abysmal.

I am not sure I have ever watched an MLS game but I admit that I will tune into the first game that Beckham plays in.

Maybe it will work out publicity wise
post #40 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

Perhaps Beckham's signing by the Galaxy will move the MLS ratings a bit, but I have serious doubts.

It worked (briefly) a generation ago with Pele, but even then the ratings were abysmal.

I dont think it will be equal to Nascar/NFL etc rankings, but since Pele's time, the US has gone soccer crazy with High Schools and young kids playing. I don't know if this will help ratings at all, but we'll see.
post #41 of 134
I've found it interesting that soccer is hugely popular for younger kids to play, but has not caught on as a spectator sport here in the U.S.

I suspect the former is because moms are less worried about junior getting seriously hurt in soccer, vice American football. And the latter? Well, soccer is boring...
post #42 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

I've found it interesting that soccer is hugely popular for younger kids to play, but has not caught on as a spectator sport here in the U.S.

I suspect the former is because moms are less worried about junior getting seriously hurt in soccer, vice American football. And the latter? Well, soccer is boring...

It could be because youth don't want to run around for 45 minutes at a time. I think it's more of a public view of soccer being boring. In a 90 minute game you would get easily 80 minutes of actual game play. Football, for example, you would get what, 25 - 30 minutes during a 60 minute game? I'm not trying to start an arguement.

Regardless, I think Beckham will pull in more ratings which would help MLS. This could also pave the way for other big stars coming to MLS. Only time will tell.
post #43 of 134
Couple of right ideas here, IMHO. Kids stop playing en masse when they turn 15 because they can't keep up. The running requirement is outrageous. My son runs High School cross country to stay fit enough, as do 4 other players from our travel team.

People will not be interested in soccer on TV, or in Beckham, if they are not interested in soccer, or not interested in learning a new sport. If you tune in to see a circus and you see good midfield play, people will turn the channel, as well they should.

It's a sport, not a TV show. I go to a lot of MLS games and see a lot of people, young and old, who show up at the game to 'try soccer' and yap through the whole game or stand in line for food. As if it were a baseball game.....

What Beckham may do is get more soccer fans in seats who are not predisposed to watch MLS. There's a lot of those people out there. Euro's and South American's who haven't given MLS a chance, Mexican futbol fans who remain loyal to the Mexican league, etc.

Soccer is on a slow climb, as it should be. Beckham is jolt of an uptick that may or may not hold.
post #44 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Late2Bass View Post

Soccer is on a slow climb, as it should be. Beckham is jolt of an uptick that may or may not hold.

Edgar Davids might be coming over also, so with Beckham coming over more internationals will follow. There might be a lot of news now, but not much for a few months due to the transfer window being closed at the end of this month.
post #45 of 134
Right, but to me, Davids, quality that he is, doesn't sell tickets short term. Hopefully he does contribute to quality product on the field, which sells tickets long term.
post #46 of 134
for now the main benefits, IMO, are that it gives the US league more cred & stimulates interest world-wide. watching Sky Sports News yesterday the Brits got a mini-primer on MLS organization & playoff structure. man-on-the-street comments show that the US league is still underestimated to the point of dismissiveness. i just hope Beckham understands what he's in for as a player. he's going to get tackled & shoved HARD & often-he's got to have his head ready for it.
one comment i found intriguing was from Sheffield U. manager Neil Warnock who felt this was a good career move & questioned why Beckham should return to England & play in front of the same fans who gave him so much grief in the past!! as for MLS i like a comment Fulham boss Chris Coleman(with now 3 former MLS players on his club) made about 18 mons. ago:"Well i really don't know that much about it...but if they(MLS) can produce players like Carlos(Bocanegra) & Brian(McBride) they must be doing something right." speaking of Fulham the 3rd US player is Clint Dempsey whose record $4 million transfer got a bit overlooked because of the Beckham hoopla. well done to him!!!


Jim
post #47 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDntheCity View Post

for now the main benefits, IMO, are that it gives the US league more cred & stimulates interest world-wide. watching Sky Sports News yesterday the Brits got a mini-primer on MLS organization & playoff structure. man-on-the-street comments show that the US league is still underestimated to the point of dismissiveness. i just hope Beckham understands what he's in for as a player. he's going to get tackled & shoved HARD & often-he's got to have his head ready for it.
one comment i found intriguing was from Sheffield U. manager Neil Warnock who felt this was a good career move & questioned why Beckham should return to England & play in front of the same fans who gave him so much grief in the past!! as for MLS i like a comment Fulham boss Chris Coleman(with now 3 former MLS players on his club) made about 18 mons. ago:"Well i really don't know that much about it...but if they(MLS) can produce players like Carlos(Bocanegra) & Brian(McBride) they must be doing something right." speaking of Fulham the 3rd US player is Clint Dempsey whose record $4 million transfer got a bit overlooked because of the Beckham hoopla. well done to him!!!


Jim

Are you by the way the A-H Jim Rome?.... I care less what a druken Brit think of our football league.Another 10 year we going to be better then EPL.
post #48 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post

Another 10 year we going to be better then EPL.

Wow, that's a bold statement.
post #49 of 134
I wouldn't say we will be better than EPL in ten years--perhaps not even in this generation, but the potential is there, certainly, for MLS to be one of the top leagues in the world.

My wife asked today whether the whole Beckham thing meant MLS is now a retirement league for old Euros. To which I replied--absolutely. The fact of the matter is, with the state of MLS, and the perception of players around the world, players in their prime are simply not going to come here to play, when national team call-ups are on the line.

But you CAN'T make it as one of the best league without going through this stage first. As the better older Euros come over, the league gets progressively better and more entertaining. Money starts flowing, leading to a vicious circle of better players and, hopefully, more money because of more spectators, both at stadia and on tv. Follow this path conservatively, and before you know it, the players in their prime are going to want to come over to the US league.

By the way, as a fan of MLS, I am as excited about Davids as Beckham--I actually like Davids style and grit than Beckham's, but that's just personal preference. They are both world class players, even if both have lost a step or two.
post #50 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post

Another 10 year we going to be better then EPL.

The MLS commis even said that there will be no regulation to lower leagues in a dozen years, because owner's who buy a team don't want to be playing 2nd division the following season. But I like the salary cap thing.
post #51 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post

Are you by the way the A-H Jim Rome?.... I care less what a druken Brit think of our football league.Another 10 year we going to be better then EPL.


to quote Rome himself-"What?"

i don't understand your objection. i was stating how regular Euro fans seem to view our league-not agreeing with them(and i don't BTW).

the comments of Warnock & Coleman i believe show that they think MLS has a good level of play & a great deal of potential.

the success of former MLS players in the EPL speaks for itself.

and yes i also think Rome is a K. Olbermann-class jerk. wish he too would get an overpriced offer from another inconsequential cable news ch.


Jim
post #52 of 134
This weekend season opener for MLS looked great on ABC-HD. With the new stadium opening in Denver the Dick's Place looked awesome in HD despite of 25 degree weather the stadium was a sell out. A wonderful new season for soccer in America. Now let's hope we get ESPN2-HD on my TWC cable here in Queens NY soon.
post #53 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

It could be because youth don't want to run around for 45 minutes at a time. I think it's more of a public view of soccer being boring. In a 90 minute game you would get easily 80 minutes of actual game play. Football, for example, you would get what, 25 - 30 minutes during a 60 minute game? I'm not trying to start an arguement.

You mean 75 minutes of a track meet and 5 minutes of interesting game play. More is not always better.

I watch soccer. Just explaining why I think most Americans find it boring.
post #54 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincey37 View Post

5 minutes of interesting game play.

Please take your trolling somewhere else.

post #55 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincey37 View Post

You mean 75 minutes of a track meet and 5 minutes of interesting game play. More is not always better.

I watch soccer. Just explaining why I think most Americans find it boring.

Probably because "most" Americans can't count up to 90 either.

Obviously you have your pre-concieved thoughts of soccer games. If you sat down and watched an actual game, which comes on ESPN2 Thursday night you will see how riduculous your comment seems. I'm listening to the ManU/Roma game right now and to say there has been only 2.5 minutes of interesting game play is stupid. If you have FSC or GOLTV I'd advise you to watch a game.
post #56 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

Probably because "most" Americans can't count up to 90 either.

Obviously you have your pre-concieved thoughts of soccer games. If you sat down and watched an actual game, which comes on ESPN2 Thursday night you will see how riduculous your comment seems. I'm listening to the ManU/Roma game right now and to say there has been only 2.5 minutes of interesting game play is stupid. If you have FSC or GOLTV I'd advise you to watch a game.

Like I said, I watch soccer on a regular basis. I'm a sports junkie and I watch pretty much everything. What I posted remains my thoughts on why I think soccer is not one of the most popular sports in the US.
post #57 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincey37 View Post

Like I said, I watch soccer on a regular basis. I'm a sports junkie and I watch pretty much everything. What I posted remains my thoughts on why I think soccer is not one of the most popular sports in the US.

You have no clue about the game of soccer, there's no other sport like the game of soccer. American football and baseball have these out of shape guys playing a game with 400 timeouts during a 60 minute game which is great for tv to sell you junk. With American football they have oxygen tanks on the sideline so these FAT & out of shape players can breath between what ever they do on the field.
post #58 of 134
Football players do not have the stamina to play soccer. But soccer players do not have the strength to play football.
post #59 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincey37 View Post

Football players do not have the stamina to play soccer. But soccer players do not have the strength to play football.

Completely different mindset. That's like comparing golf to tennis.

If you want to compare soccer to a major sport I'd say probably basketball if anything. But then again, how often do you see NBA players play all 40 minutes?
post #60 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post

You have no clue about the game of soccer, there's no other sport like the game of soccer. American football and baseball have these out of shape guys playing a game with 400 timeouts during a 60 minute game which is great for tv to sell you junk. With American football they have oxygen tanks on the sideline so these FAT & out of shape players can breath between what ever they do on the field.

Well said....Every time one of those fat slobs falls down the clock stops. Takes half-hour just to see 5 minutes of actual game play.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Major League Soccer in HD on ESPN2