or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › PS3 problems and setup issues thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PS3 problems and setup issues thread! - Page 47

post #1381 of 2911
So, I was watching a blu-ray earlier tonight, and all of a sudden, the picture freezes. My remote stopped working as did any buttons on the PS3. I turned it off from the back and unplugged it to see if that helped, but nothing. Since it has been turned off, it won't even turn it back on. I get power but no picture or audio.

Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to fix this, or is it dead? I bought it used from GameStop a little over 2 months ago, so I don't even know what kind of warranty I have, if any. Any help would be appreciated.
post #1382 of 2911
Well you can try a factory reset: switch the back power on and then hold the front power button till you hear multiple beeps. Next power up it will be reset.

Either way I would return this back to Gamestop and ask for another one. Bring a receipt. If that fails,check and see if your credit card has an extended warranty you can use. Do it quickly since I think the ps3 has a 30 day standard warranty.

-Splints
post #1383 of 2911
Hello all,

Hope that someone out there can help. I have a 40Gb PS3 that has worked flawlessly since new year. However, I tried playing Fight Night yesterday and loaded a new player and then the system just crashed and it said 'please wait' on the screen. This lasted 2 hours before I decided to turn the system off. After restarting, I thought it may be a good idea to format the hard drive. It went through all of the usual 'you will lose all your game saves etc' screens and then went through to a black screen with the PS logo. Then, a screen appeared telling me to plug in my controller via USB cable and press the PS button, but no response. I have tried plugging in both controllers...no change. I can't get any further. The system is locked at that point. I have tried a hard reset but without any luck. Anyone have a similar circumstance and workaround? I have tried other BD games and movies but the drive is not registering them on the screen. Very strange!
Thanks heaps
Greg.
post #1384 of 2911
Go for the factory reset, but this sounds a lot like a sony support call. Sorry, maybe someone else has other ideas.

-Splints
post #1385 of 2911
Thanks Splinters,

Thought as much. I hate contacting sony. Now....if only HD-DVD had won the format war!
post #1386 of 2911
I have a few questions I hope some of you can answer.

I'm hooking up the PS3 to my onkyo 605 thru HDMI, is PCM the best, for gaming and Blu Ray? Can I have it show dolby digital 5.1 or DTS Master on my receiver like it does w/ my Xbox 360 thru optical?

Is the Bluetooth connectivity picky? I've got two bluetooth headsets that won't pair up w/ the PS3, it just stays "scanning".

I bring my PS3 to different rooms. I brought it into my bedroom where my TV doesn't have HDMI, and used Component A/V, I didn't get any picture or sound. Is the PS3 set to only send signal thru HDMI? Can I have it send to whatever's hooked up?
post #1387 of 2911
Bad day in Bedrock in my house. 360 RROD this morning, and then in the middle of a movie the PS3 died and now will not read any optical media. The PS3 is only 6 months old, how do I get support from Sony?
post #1388 of 2911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

Bad day in Bedrock in my house. 360 RROD this morning, and then in the middle of a movie the PS3 died and now will not read any optical media. The PS3 is only 6 months old, how do I get support from Sony?

Just call up Sony (http://www.us.playstation.com/Suppor...oObtainService) and tell them about your problem. When I called, they estimated a 7-10 business day turnaround time. You'll need some proof of purchase to give them though.
post #1389 of 2911
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicq View Post

Just call up Sony (http://www.us.playstation.com/Suppor...oObtainService) and tell them about your problem. When I called, they estimated a 7-10 business day turnaround time. You'll need some proof of purchase to give them though.


I did it through their automated system on the web. I'm supposed to get an e-mail in the next day or so about how to send it back. I got it from Amazon so proof of purchase is not a problem.
post #1390 of 2911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

I did it through their automated system on the web. I'm supposed to get an e-mail in the next day or so about how to send it back. I got it from Amazon so proof of purchase is not a problem.

Turn around time isnt bad. Good luck on your refurbished ps3 they send you back though.
post #1391 of 2911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerazn View Post

I have a few questions I hope some of you can answer.

I'm hooking up the PS3 to my onkyo 605 thru HDMI, is PCM the best, for gaming and Blu Ray? Can I have it show dolby digital 5.1 or DTS Master on my receiver like it does w/ my Xbox 360 thru optical?

Is the Bluetooth connectivity picky? I've got two bluetooth headsets that won't pair up w/ the PS3, it just stays "scanning".

I bring my PS3 to different rooms. I brought it into my bedroom where my TV doesn't have HDMI, and used Component A/V, I didn't get any picture or sound. Is the PS3 set to only send signal thru HDMI? Can I have it send to whatever's hooked up?

PS3 to Onkyo 605, PCM is best for the lossless codecs (DTS-HD-MA and Dolby TrueHD), bitstream is preferred by many for the non-lossless (DTS-core and lower, DD+, etc).

Bluetooth should be 2.0 or newer ideally. So if these are older headsets, you should look for a newer one. I didn't have a problem pairing 3 different headsets so far though.

As for bringing to the ps3 to different rooms, just change the video output from hdmi to component and that should work fine, just make sure you change the video out before you switch locations. The other option is to hold down the power button when you plug it into a new source and let the ps3 reset to factory settings and auto-detect the video settings.

-Splints
post #1392 of 2911
What does a DNS error entail? I keep getting this when i try to sign in now, for some weird reason.
post #1393 of 2911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocet77 View Post

Turn around time isnt bad. Good luck on your refurbished ps3 they send you back though.

So they don't just swap the bad part, they give you a refurb back?
post #1394 of 2911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

So they don't just swap the bad part, they give you a refurb back?

Ya, I wasent happy @ all. Considering they sent me 4 different refurbs with other problems before I stopped by my local wal-mart and fixed the issue myself.
post #1395 of 2911
'Houston, we have a problem...'


I think my 40gbPS3's Bluray drive just took a crap. I've noticed my system randomly locking up every now and then but MGS4 might have been the last straw for it. I heard a loud click when it was loading once on Friday and ever since then, anytime the game goes into the BD for data or I switch weapons/items in the menus and it reads the data off the BD BAM! locks up the whole system. It just gets worse every time too and Sunday after I beat Laughing Octopus and proceeded with the game, it would lock up all over the place
One time it locked up on a cutscene and an alternating icon appeared at the top left. It was a disk spinning icon and then a big X. That's when I realized 'uh oh...'

Anyone experience this? I think I have to call Sony. Going to see tonight if that happens with other games or Bluray movies. Good thing my HD-A2 is my primary upscaling DVD player!
post #1396 of 2911
For the past week or so, DVDs played on my PS3 only scale up (or just scale) to 480p. Formerly, DVDs would always scale to 1080p. I checked the PS3 settings, and they are all basically set to "auto."

Satellite TV always upscales to 1080p (my Denon AVR 4308 upscales, and it too is set to "auto" for resolution), so this seems only a problem with regular DVDs.

Can anyone think of why this might happen and how to return DVD scaling on PS3 to 1080p?
post #1397 of 2911
Quote:
Originally Posted by migs_inc View Post

For the past week or so, DVDs played on my PS3 only scale up (or just scale) to 480p. Formerly, DVDs would always scale to 1080p. I checked the PS3 settings, and they are all basically set to "auto."

Satellite TV always upscales to 1080p (my Denon AVR 4308 upscales, and it too is set to "auto" for resolution), so this seems only a problem with regular DVDs.

Can anyone think of why this might happen and how to return DVD scaling on PS3 to 1080p?

Sounds like your display settings doesn't have 720p and 1080p checked on your ps3. Or your Denon did the upscaling. Who's doing what in the combo of your ps3, denon avr, and display?

On your bd/dvd settings, the upscaling should be set for "normal". Otherwise not sure what's wrong without more details.

-Splints
post #1398 of 2911
Got the e-mail from Sony today, and the coffin is on it's way.
post #1399 of 2911
Just got a 40 gig PS3 and been playing around with the media center capabilities.

Some questions guys:

I downloaded a 720p .mkv file. Tried Tversity, Twonky, Nero MediaHome, and all same results the video stutters. At first I thought this was due to my wireless network, but i am getting 90+ connection. I thought with the newest firmware the PS3 can play .mkv files so to test i copied it to the hd and it played fine. Checking on the net, it seems most people convert to .vob. So I converted the file and it streamed fine over my wireless network, no issues whatsoever.

Any definitive answers would be helpful...
post #1400 of 2911
Hi guys,

I recently have run into an issue with my PS3 while running games on our 46" LCD Sharp Aquos. We have had the PS3 (60gb version) for about a year and have used it for games and movies (including blu-ray) with absolutely no problems. As a matter of fact, movies (blu-ray or otherwise) still work perfectly and watching tv (HD or not) still looks great also.

But when it comes to playing games, that is another story. When we load PS3 games on the console, we get large black squares that are spread throughout the screen while in the game. This issue is repeated on newer and older games, even ones that I have just purchased, so I know it can't be an issue with the games but with the tv or the console.

The black squares flicker on and off and jump around the screen, 4" x 4" in size. We do not have any issues of this occuring ever during movie or tv watching, only when gaming. And this has never happened in the past.

The PS3 has also been updated successfully to the lastest firmware, as has the television.
Any ideas what could be the issue here? (I do have the PS3 running on HDMI through my receiver then to my tv)

Any help would be greatly appreciated )
post #1401 of 2911
have you tried plugging in your ps3 video directly to the tv and see what happens?

One problem could be the HDMI cable, but chances are there is something odd the ps3 is doing. One other thing to try out is selecting different video settings and see if that helps out on the games. Do the demo's show the same problem?

-Splints
post #1402 of 2911
Spoke with Sony support last night, my 40gb has to go in for repair. The drive is completely dead. They are sending me a box so I'm happy it's getting fixed for free. Just stinks because in 2 weeks I got Uncharted and MGS4 and now have to wait a few weeks to get back into them. It is what it is... I'm starting to believe the 40gb iffy cheaper Blu drives rumor

I have to say, Sony support isn't great. The rep I got was a thick accented hispanic who cocked attitude. I took it as is but the highlight of the call had to be when he demanded a receipt to prove that the system was within 1yr warranty otherwise I pay $149 for repair, and I told him I had to find the receipt but the 40gb model has only be available for some 9 months and last I checked, 9 months is LESS THAN 1 year. Only thing he needed from the receipt was purchase date and serial number which both can be had without the receipt (serial on back of PS3, purchase date on bank statement lol) I hope my system gets fixed super fast though... I'm having MGS4 withdrawl
post #1403 of 2911
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonham2 View Post

So, I was watching a blu-ray earlier tonight, and all of a sudden, the picture freezes. My remote stopped working as did any buttons on the PS3. I turned it off from the back and unplugged it to see if that helped, but nothing. Since it has been turned off, it won't even turn it back on. I get power but no picture or audio.

Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to fix this, or is it dead? I bought it used from GameStop a little over 2 months ago, so I don't even know what kind of warranty I have, if any. Any help would be appreciated.

I've had this happen to me on my first ps3. I paused the movie for like 10 minutes and pressed play and bam. You shouldn't have turned it off from the back, I did that and the blu-ray drive gave out on me. It didnt read games or discs, I just called sony and they replaced it. I'm on my second set and its fine so far, in fact I was watching Black Hawk Down today and the Picture froze while the audio was still playing. So I didn't turn it off from the back, I just held the power button in the front of the console and restarted. it worked just fine.
post #1404 of 2911
when you leave a Blu-Ray disc or Playstation 2 game disc in the system and are in the XMB (like viewing photos) does the drive in the PS3 keep the disc spinning?

I basically just want to know for long term use if I shouldn't leave a game disc in the system.
post #1405 of 2911
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucius View Post

when you leave a Blu-Ray disc or Playstation 2 game disc in the system and are in the XMB (like viewing photos) does the drive in the PS3 keep the disc spinning?

I basically just want to know for long term use if I shouldn't leave a game disc in the system.

I would recommend taking the disk out, if you are not playing it and leaving it on (to be on the safe side). It is hard to tell if it is spinning due to the fans. I know this is a BD player, but on most PC and regular DVDs, you can tell the spinning stops.
post #1406 of 2911
Could someone please help me access the on-screen keyboard using a game controller? I can't find how to access it in the manual. Page 32 of the manual discusses how to use it, but provides no clue how to access it. I don't see it as an option on the GUI. I'm trying to logon to the PS3 Network.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Okay, when accessing the PS3 web browser, I can access the on-screen keyboard by pressing the start button. However, when I go to the Playstation Network logon screen, which asks me to sign in, I cannot access the on-screen keyboard by pressing the start button. Do I need to purchase a PS3 keyboard to logon to Playstation Network?
post #1407 of 2911
You don't need a ps3 keyboard, just click "x" on any line where you want to enter text and it will automatically bring up the controller keyboard.

Also any usb keyboard/mouse (including wireless usb keyboards) will work with your ps3.

-Splints
post #1408 of 2911
Thanks, Splinters. I'll give that a try.
post #1409 of 2911
I havnt had much time to be on here. I got a notification email on dead PS3. Wow seems alot of people are having this same issue. Mine on friday night was watching Golden Compass BR and it froze. I couldnt do anything. My son fell asleep by then. I took it out and played RB62. Played ok but when online match is over and goes back to lobby it would freeze before going into lobby. I could hear everyone talking but I was stuck. Then Saturday tried to play, same thing.
Then it got to the point the game would show up as a blue disk icon like movies do. There was no preveiw of game. Called Sony had me do a preferences reset. Same thing tells me I need to send in. They ask me if I have receite yes only 6 months old. They ask me if I have modified it, no. But I put in a larger HDD 250gb. She tells me its not approved by them its not original may void warranty. I tell her its right in the manual how to do it and says nothing about voiding the warranty. Its a owner replacable part. She ask if I still have the HDD I do. She told me to put it back in before I send it in. Of course Im not dumb. I told her you wont get my HDD. My thing is why are so many people having issues now. Everything was fine untill I updated to the latest firmware sometime last
week. Has anyone sent theirs in and gotten their original one back? Not some refurbed piece of junk. How long does it take from the day you mail it to get it back? Do they pay the freight both ways?
post #1410 of 2911
^^

Is yours the 40gb model? Seems this is the model that the drive dies out. I haven't received my box yet and I called on Wed but I read that it's about 10 days and you will get the same unit back. Not sure how true that is though
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › PS3 problems and setup issues thread!