or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › PS3 problems and setup issues thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PS3 problems and setup issues thread! - Page 52

post #1531 of 2911
FWIW, my HDMI output cut out yesterday midway through a COD4 game. Nearly had a heart atttack as mine is an imported PS3 so no warranty, and Sony NZ won't repair them.

Ejected this disc, and held down the power button for 10 secs until it shut off. Waited a minute, powered it backup and phew it worked.

Anyone know if this is a sign my PS3 is on it's way out? Or just a one time glitch?
post #1532 of 2911
I just moved into my apartment, one of those student apartments with paid bills and free high-speed internet. There is only ethernet cable and when I get on, it requires that I login to a Time Warner Business something or another internet thing. When I try to connect my PS3 to the connection, it passes getting an IP Address but fails the internet connection. I also tried logging in via the web browser, which as expected doesn't do anything and gives me an error about SSL and handshaking.

Other than maybe getting a wireless router to share the connection, is there a way to connect it with this type of connection? I'm not too network savvy.
post #1533 of 2911
My kids have been in the habit of leaving the PS3 on for long periods of time (sometimes up to 8 hours at a time) usually paused on a game. Tonight I found it left on again and paused on Indiana Jones. It sounded like the Blu-Ray drive was trying to seek back and forth. When I hit the button to quit the game, the screen went black. I eventually had to shut off the PS3 by holding down the power button.

When I turned the system back on, it refused to recognize that the game disc was still in. I ejected it (which worked fine) and cleaned the disc. When I popped it back in, again the system wouldn't recognize that there was a disc in it (i.e. no logo shows up or even an entry on the game menu for a disc-based game loading). I tried another disc, and the same thing happened. It was only then that I realized that there was no noise of the disc spinning up to speed.

I have a feeling that this will need to go in for service, but I was hoping that maybe somebody here might have some tips. Does this sound like a dead drive? Anything I can do to try to bring it back to life myself?

Thanks!
post #1534 of 2911
Yes dead drive, get it repaired under warranty.
post #1535 of 2911
Thanks. Will do. Good thing that the store where I purchased the PS3 is able to reprint a receipt from last March! I'm usually very careful about keeping receipts, but for some reason, this one isn't in its normal spot.
post #1536 of 2911
I have an XBOX 360 and it's outputting at 1080i via component cable but my PS3 won't output at 1080i even with component cable.

Is there something wrong with my Ps3?
post #1537 of 2911
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk.secret23 View Post

I have an XBOX 360 and it's outputting at 1080i via component cable but my PS3 won't output at 1080i even with component cable.

Is there something wrong with my Ps3?


you hafta make sure your ps3 is set to output what your tv can handle...go under video settings i think
post #1538 of 2911
I have a dedicated home theater using the PS3 as the Blu-Ray player. I have a 7.1 set-up but I am becoming more disheartened by the fact that few Blu-ray DVD's utilize the 7.1. (Even new ones like transformers and Iron Man are 5.1).

Here is my question. I am hooked through HDMI with LPCM pass through to the Onkyo 605. Because the PS3 does the decoding, I can only get the sound through 5.1 even though the Onkyo has the capability to run 5.1 through 7.1. (I use a SD DVD player for SD DVD's and the Onkyo utilizes DD EX). Bitstream is not the answer because it only passes 5.1 in HD formats. Is there anyway to get all 8 speakers working using the PS3 for 5.1 HD audio formats? Or was my 7.1 setup a waste for now?

Thanks
-MJ
post #1539 of 2911
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalJet View Post

I have a dedicated home theater using the PS3 as the Blu-Ray player. I have a 7.1 set-up but I am becoming more disheartened by the fact that few Blu-ray DVD's utilize the 7.1. (Even new ones like transformers and Iron Man are 5.1).

Here is my question. I am hooked through HDMI with LPCM pass through to the Onkyo 605. Because the PS3 does the decoding, I can only get the sound through 5.1 even though the Onkyo has the capability to run 5.1 through 7.1. (I use a SD DVD player for SD DVD's and the Onkyo utilizes DD EX). Bitstream is not the answer because it only passes 5.1 in HD formats. Is there anyway to get all 8 speakers working using the PS3 for 5.1 HD audio formats? Or was my 7.1 setup a waste for now?

Thanks
-MJ

The 7.1 is passed via LPCM if it is there. Your frustration should be directed to the movie studios about their encode and not at the equipment manufacturer. One thing I did like was the fact that Yamaha and a few other AVR's do 5.1->7.1 matrixing. This was the one of the features that pushed me to the Yamaha rx-v661 vs. the Onkyo 605.

-Splints
post #1540 of 2911
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk.secret23 View Post

I have an XBOX 360 and it's outputting at 1080i via component cable but my PS3 won't output at 1080i even with component cable.

Is there something wrong with my Ps3?

What are you trying or playing to output 1080i?
Most games dont play in 1080i if thats what you are trying to do.
Make sure you have the 1080i box checked in your settings.
post #1541 of 2911
I have a few probs here.. Audio skipping when starting a game/movie.. bad sign of PS3 breaking?

I noticed earlier when i played a game it was skipping for at least 10 secs before going back to sounding normal -- then i later played a movie and it was skipping as well, doing the same thing! I had to power it off.. This isn't lookin too hot?
I unplugged then plugged in my cables, my friend told me might be the HDMI cable? I'm gonna buy a new one, though. Also sometimes my screen will go black for 2 seconds, then return to normal... I don't think its my TV, cos I got a new one last month..

Any help appreciated!
post #1542 of 2911
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuneralDancer View Post

I have a few probs here.. Audio skipping when starting a game/movie.. bad sign of PS3 breaking?

I noticed earlier when i played a game it was skipping for at least 10 secs before going back to sounding normal -- then i later played a movie and it was skipping as well, doing the same thing! I had to power it off.. This isn't lookin too hot?
I unplugged then plugged in my cables, my friend told me might be the HDMI cable? I'm gonna buy a new one, though. Also sometimes my screen will go black for 2 seconds, then return to normal... I don't think its my TV, cos I got a new one last month..

Any help appreciated!

Does anyone know if you can run a disc cleaner in this player?

Bob.
post #1543 of 2911
Hey all

I know this is probably in this forum somewhere but I'll just go ahead and ask.

I, like many others, was unhappy about my PSN ID name so I went ahead and created a new user and new PSN ID. I only have 2 things downloaded that I paid for and a theme I downloaded from the internet and I don't have any trophies, just experience stuff in Resistance 1.

My question is how can I keep the two games I have and theme after I delete my original user (I have not done this yet)? I guess I also need to copy over my game saves from my original user. People say make sure you copy those things before you delete the original user but I don't understand how you do that. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
post #1544 of 2911
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuneralDancer View Post

I have a few probs here.. Audio skipping when starting a game/movie.. bad sign of PS3 breaking?

I noticed earlier when i played a game it was skipping for at least 10 secs before going back to sounding normal -- then i later played a movie and it was skipping as well, doing the same thing! I had to power it off.. This isn't lookin too hot?
I unplugged then plugged in my cables, my friend told me might be the HDMI cable? I'm gonna buy a new one, though. Also sometimes my screen will go black for 2 seconds, then return to normal... I don't think its my TV, cos I got a new one last month..

Any help appreciated!

Try going into settings->BD settings -> 24fps and turn it to off. Audio can get out of sync if your display is doing a 3:2 pulldown to run @ 60fps. It will help with both audio and video problems for most users. The "automatic" setting will sometimes throw a tv or two off.

-Splints
post #1545 of 2911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggie View Post

Hey all

I know this is probably in this forum somewhere but I'll just go ahead and ask.

I, like many others, was unhappy about my PSN ID name so I went ahead and created a new user and new PSN ID. I only have 2 things downloaded that I paid for and a theme I downloaded from the internet and I don't have any trophies, just experience stuff in Resistance 1.

My question is how can I keep the two games I have and theme after I delete my original user (I have not done this yet)? I guess I also need to copy over my game saves from my original user. People say make sure you copy those things before you delete the original user but I don't understand how you do that. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

So the issue won't be that you won't be able to keep them, but it will be that if you lose them in the future (HD crash, etc) that you won't be able to download them again for free.

Best way is to have an external HD via usb 2.0 and back-up your HD every so often, so you can always recover all your paid items directly instead of having to re-download the paid content. I don't believe there is a way to copy the saves and restore them to a new user, but maybe someone else more knowledgeable about the situation can answer.

-Splints
post #1546 of 2911
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinters View Post

Try going into settings->BD settings -> 24fps and turn it to off. Audio can get out of sync if your display is doing a 3:2 pulldown to run @ 60fps. It will help with both audio and video problems for most users. The "automatic" setting will sometimes throw a tv or two off.

-Splints

But I personally prefer 24fps playback, especially when watchin Blu-ray I wouldn't wanna disable that.. I haven't had any probs today, though..
post #1547 of 2911
Seems once per month my PS3 no longer remembers video and audio settings. I have to go back into settings and reset everything. Not a big deal, but annoying nonetheless.
post #1548 of 2911
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone is having the same problem. No matter which PS2 game i try to play i never get sound from all the rear channels, just stereo and the sub. I'm outputting PCM through HDMI to my AVR-2808 and the amp displays MULTI-CHANNEL 7.1 but I only get stereo.

Do i have to change some settings everytime i plat a PS2 game?

Thanks!!
post #1549 of 2911
Quote:
Originally Posted by litri View Post

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone is having the same problem. No matter which PS2 game i try to play i never get sound from all the rear channels, just stereo and the sub. I'm outputting PCM through HDMI to my AVR-2808 and the amp displays MULTI-CHANNEL 7.1 but I only get stereo.

Do i have to change some settings everytime i plat a PS2 game?

Thanks!!

The PS2 games you are playing are probably only 2 channel sound. You might want to try changing your AVR to Prologic II or some other sound effect if you want to hear more channels.
post #1550 of 2911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredster View Post

The PS2 games you are playing are probably only 2 channel sound. You might want to try changing your AVR to Prologic II or some other sound effect if you want to hear more channels.

I have a Denon AVR-2808 and it is already set to matrix any input signal (unless it is flagged like DD, DTS, etc) to the surround channels through all the inputs (HDMI, Optical, Coaxial, etc), so in theory the stereo signal should be heard from all speakers. I don't know if GT3 is a stereo or Prologic II compatible game but on my old Onkyo AVR i could hear the game from all speakers.

Could it have something to do with PCM/Bitstream sound output???
I recall having heard something about it...
post #1551 of 2911
hey everybody,

I'm having trouble with my home theatre setup isolated to my ps3 connection.

I recently purchased an onkyo 606, to provide me with high quality sound to go along with the hd picture that my setup provides.


On to the problem: When connecting the ps3 to the receiver, I receive sound and picture upon startup, so I threw in my newly purchased weeds season 3 blu-ray, when entering the menu the audio cut in and out and the video was a tad bit choppy and eventually all connection was lost somewhere between my ps3-receiver-tv...

could it be the hdmi cables im using? the sound settings on my receiver? or an issue with my tv which is a Samsung lnt-4061...my set-top box works flawlessly.

hdmi is set to -through- on my receiver
ps3 settings are 1080p, and sound settings were automatically detected using hdmi as well. this is becoming very frustrating any tips would be greatly appreciated.
post #1552 of 2911
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg05 View Post

When connecting the ps3 to the receiver, I receive sound and picture upon startup, so I threw in my newly purchased weeds season 3 blu-ray, when entering the menu the audio cut in and out and the video was a tad bit choppy and eventually all connection was lost somewhere between my ps3-receiver-tv...

could it be the hdmi cables im using? the sound settings on my receiver? or an issue with my tv which is a Samsung lnt-4061...my set-top box works flawlessly.

Did you try a different BD disc or a DVD or CD after you had this problem? If it is only the one Blu-Ray, it seems llike it would be a dirty disc. I had similar problems with some brand new Planet Earth BDs. Somehow they got all smudged up and wouldn't play properly or wouldn't be recognized at all. I cleaned them up and they worked like new. If it won't play any BD, I'd guess you got a bad PS3, which also happens.
post #1553 of 2911
Quote:
Originally Posted by litri View Post

I have a Denon AVR-2808 and it is already set to matrix any input signal (unless it is flagged like DD, DTS, etc) to the surround channels through all the inputs (HDMI, Optical, Coaxial, etc), so in theory the stereo signal should be heard from all speakers. I don't know if GT3 is a stereo or Prologic II compatible game but on my old Onkyo AVR i could hear the game from all speakers.

Could it have something to do with PCM/Bitstream sound output???
I recall having heard something about it...

Yes. You could try setting HDMI on PS3 to bitstream - that ought to confirm that the AVR might not process 2 channel PCM output to Prologic II (I don't think mine does either). Be sure to set it back to PCM for "HD" sound.
post #1554 of 2911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot12 View Post

Did you try a different BD disc or a DVD or CD after you had this problem? If it is only the one Blu-Ray, it seems llike it would be a dirty disc. I had similar problems with some brand new Planet Earth BDs. Somehow they got all smudged up and wouldn't play properly or wouldn't be recognized at all. I cleaned them up and they worked like new. If it won't play any BD, I'd guess you got a bad PS3, which also happens.


the disc is brand new i took it out of the case and put it in my ps3...played it while connected directly to my tv...than later the same day just changed the hdmi to my receiver...and all of a sudden it didnt work properly...put it back to how it was (ps3 hdmi to tv) works fine!...im going out and getting another hdmi tonight this one a hdmi 1.3spec or better..crossing fingers. let u know how it works


EDIT: ...IT WORKS!!! damn low-grade hdmi couldnt handle the job, got myself a high quality 1.3 spec 6foot for $25!!
post #1555 of 2911
ps3 randomly disconnects from my network, even seems to crash the network sometimes any advise to fix said probs?

i have a linxus wired router on charterbroad band
post #1556 of 2911
I'm trying to connect my PS3 to a hotel internet. I am currently going to a college that had to put me in a hotel room due to overbooking. It's a wired connection in which I tried to set up. I had to literally hit the Prnt Scrn button when I accessed the ipconfig box on my computer because they have it set to disappear within a tenth of a second of appearing. I needed to get all the IP information to input onto the PS3.

However that failed, and so did when I set the PS3 to do it automatically. Is there any work-around to this? I entered in the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, DNS servers, etc... that all displayed on the ipconfig box onto the PS3 and it still comes at as internet connection failed.

Any help?
post #1557 of 2911
brand new 80gb. turned on yesterday to play BD movie. Information bubble on the top right stated to press "PS" button. Pressed PS button on dual shock and nothing. pressed again and again. controller select lights on top all flashed on and off. pressed and held ps button. nothing. turned system off. turned back on. same issue. unplugged system from wall for 10 minutes. problem went away. WTF?
could this new system have a bluetooth problem?
to top it off the controlled was plugged into the system the whole time!
post #1558 of 2911
Quote:


However that failed, and so did when I set the PS3 to do it automatically. Is there any work-around to this? I entered in the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, DNS servers, etc... that all displayed on the ipconfig box onto the PS3 and it still comes at as internet connection failed.

An alternate way is to setup you PC to share the internet connection and connect you PS3 to the PC either wire if you have two netowrk card, or wireless.
post #1559 of 2911
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooki View Post

An alternate way is to setup you PC to share the internet connection and connect you PS3 to the PC either wire if you have two netowrk card, or wireless.

Can I share the internet wireless from my laptop if the laptop is connected via a wire?
post #1560 of 2911
Not really a problem but are there other ways to back up the data on my PS3? I'm about to ship it off to repair and I need 12 gigs so a thumbdrive wouldn't work. I have an external HD but the PS3 can't detect it, its formatted NTSF if that matters. Can I back the data up directly to my laptop somehow?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › PS3 problems and setup issues thread!