Originally Posted by board_jay
So I got a PS3 before xmas and played around with it for 2 days. I was so unimpressed and pissed off with it that I took it back. My post on my impressions and issues with it can be found under the PS3 section. I just got a Wii and it is awesome. In no particular order:
1. Wireless took me 15min to get up and running. 10min to enable internet and then 5min to do the system updates and download the Opera web browser. This
included setting up my WEP encryption. The PS3 took me an hour and would not
do the system updates over the internet because it kept saying it needed the download/update to make the internet work so I had to manually figure out where to get the update using my PC and then DL them to flash drive/SD card, of which 2/3 of my media was recognized by the PS3, but it would not read the DL file!! The Wii Web browser uses the WHOLE 16x9 screen and has a zoom feature while the PS3 uses a 4x3 section of the screen, has no zoom and unzoomed looked way worse than the Wii even though the PS3 was 1080i DVI vs Wii 480p component! Also, Wii is much easier to navigate webpages with the click and point virtual KB. Wii browser more compatible with web pages than PS3 and will get better with the final Opera version due in March. Oh yeah, the Wii has a much better wireless antenna than the PS3 so you can put it further way from your router. In my case, its a Belkin using channel 7.
2. Wii has a weather forecast instant channel and soon will have a news instant channel (will go live in 10 more days. These are free and fast ways to get some info. Yeah, you need to have it hooked up to broadband wireless to get them.
3. Wii is small & doesn't overheat. Sony shutdown half a dozen times in 2 days due to heat and it weighs a ton so moving it to bring to your friend's house is a pain. The Wii will update automatically even when it's turned "off" as long as you have broadband. So no manual updates after the 1st time and no "you must do this update" in order to get something to work. Any new changes will be downloaded automatically.
4. Wii controls are intuitive and easy to use. And they are novel and a step towards virtual reality. PS3 is same ole, same ole. Yes, you can do a slight amount of tilting the control pad to do somthing (exL COD3, you can move it to hit someone with the butt of the gun), PS3 has got better graphics, but that's about it. PS3 downconverts a lot of games so you don't even get 720p or 1080i most of the time anyway and you're in 480p!! Try Wii boxing/tennis or Madden07 and you will laugh your ass off having a good time. Any ANYONE that comes over can play the Wii in a matter of minutes, they don't need to spend 10hours learning controls. Hell, even my wife likes it and my 3yr old can mess around with it too.
5. For hardcore gaming, PS3 will appeal, but it still isn't as good as a PC or nearly as useful. The hub of the entertainment center it surely ain't. So don't buy the marketing hype. Bluray was nice, but truly unless you have a 1080p TV (and most people don't), there is not a hell of a lot of difference between a bluray disc and a good 1080i upconvert DVD player and a standard DVD disc. The Wii does not play standard DVDs. So what? Who doesn't have a DVD player? Nintendo did this on purpose and the real reason is to avoid easy game copying. Sony solved the problem as well by going bluray, at least until there are burners et al, but probably bought themselves a few years until they are widely available.
6. Wii was simple to get your pics, video and mp3s to play from the SD card. PS3 would not automatically display your stuff ules you copied it to the HD 1st. To even see and access your files, you needed to find the almost hidden "display all" and then you could select stuff. And there was not nice viewer or juke box. Wii has a way to manipulate stuff and then post it/send it. While no jukebox either on the wii, you can play any mp3s you want and my guess is it will get better.
7. Wii plays ALL Gamecube games and virtual console lets you play any other old school Nintendo game. PS3 does NOT play All PS2 games!
8. Wii does not have digital audio output. I actually think that this should have been included. However, the plus side is that I would need to get a digital audio switchbox since all my receiver inputs are full and dolby digital II on my amp with one of the simulated surrounds is just fine.
9. $250 for the Wii including Wii sports and 1 remote/nunchuck. $599 for the PS3 for no games and 1 control pad. Hmmm...
No brainer, Wii is a blast and a relative bargain.