or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › DVD Wars/Amazon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DVD Wars/Amazon - Page 3  

post #61 of 175
Former Microsoft founder Paul Allen is building spacecraft. Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos is also building spaceships. Coincidence? I think not. DiscoveryHD also had their first live HD broadcast from space last week. It's all coming together now.
post #62 of 175
nic17, we all agree that HiDef DVD sales (both formats) represent <0.5% of the current overall 2006 DVD sales, right?

So how would Amazon, with $10bill+ in overall 2006 Revenues be conspiring against BD..... they are format agnostic and just want to sell whatever has a decent margin and high unit volume, so quite frankly (IMHO) your theories of Amazon and Microsoft are, well just theories.

... I do tho have "special" glasses that cancel-out those pesky subliminal TV ad messages and :special: tin-foil hats that block the Feds brain-wave readers if you are interested.... :p
post #63 of 175
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95
Just another silly conspiracy theory. It's one thing to claim that these early sales numbers don't mean a lot in the format war, but it's ridiculous to start claiming that a site like Amazon is fudging numbers to make BD look bad to benefit Microsoft (because they have some people that used to work for Microsoft).

Nice spin by you "because they have some people that used to work for Microsoft" Amazon.com dumped Google search engine and signed a contract with Microsoft to use their new Microsoft live search engine for Amazon.com. Usually when one side post facts and evidence, thats the first thing you hear from the other
"Silly Conspiracy Theory"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...161921,00.html
post #64 of 175
HD DVD spelled backwards is DVD-DH...There is no DH in the National League..The National League Mariners are in Seattle,WA, same State as Microsoft...Washington has a River... THe AMAZON is a river!!

Wake up people!! Isn't it obvious!?!? Haven't you seen They Live?!?!
post #65 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosawx
HD DVD spelled backwards is DVD-DH...There is no DH in the National League..The National League Mariners are in Seattle,WA, same State as Microsoft...Washington has a River... THe AMAZON is a river!!

Wake up people!! Isn't it obvious!?!? Haven't you seen They Live?!?!
Wait a minute, there IS a DH in Seattle, and Seattle IS in the American League. Microsoft is based out of Seattle, which like the Amazon in in America!!!

DAMN!!!!! It's true, it's true..... I'M A BELIEVER!!!!! :D
post #66 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0
Wait a minute, there IS a DH in Seattle, and Seattle IS in the American League. Microsoft is based out of Seattle, which like the Amazon in in America!!!

DAMN!!!!! It's true, it's true..... I'M A BELIEVER!!!!! :D

You're right !! I messed up!!

HD-DVD has 5 letters..James Monroe was the 5th president...there's a Monroe, Louisiana...Where New Orleans is...Hey!!! HD DVD/Microsoft and Amazon caused Katrina!!!
post #67 of 175
Amazon and Microsoft are in bed together so much they still sell blu-ray products!

So Mr "Knowledge" who killed JFK?
Where's Jimmy Hoffa buried?
Do aliens really exsist?
post #68 of 175
Well us HD-DVD fans bitch and moan because we get no love from CC or BB. I am sure that if CC and BB gave equal support to both formats that it would benefit HD-DVD even more!


Quote:
Originally Posted by nic17
I am presenting facts backed up with links. So if you want to call that a conspiracy theory then be my guest. The DVD wars presented by Amazon is not accurate representation of the numbers of blu-ray vs hd-dvd. They list HD-DVD 101 and Blu-Ray 78 which is not an accurate list. Amazon also never list all the Blu-Ray Movies, when ordering Devils Rejects on Blu-Ray from them they did not even list it has a Blu-Ray the only way I could tell was by the price. So do I trust Amazon and Microsoft to be unbiased? No
post #69 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic17
Nice spin by you "because they have some people that used to work for Microsoft" Amazon.com dumped Google search engine and signed a contract with Microsoft to use their new Microsoft live search engine for Amazon.com. Usually when one side post facts and evidence, thats the first thing you hear from the other
"Silly Conspiracy Theory"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...161921,00.html
You also hear "silly conspiracy theory" when someone posts facts then draws ridiculous unrelated conclusions.
post #70 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic17
Fact #1. Amazon.com and Microsoft recently entered into a joint business venture. The only sales data being reported on Amazon.com is the same FUD being reported around here by Microsoft Shills

Fact. #2 Your trying to convince everyone that HD-DVD is outselling Blu-Ray because of numbers posted on Amazon.com website. Even if Amazon's numbers were accurate you are not factoring in that people buy Blu-Ray and HD-DVD from other stores.

Fact #3. With the PS3's release Sony has anywhere from $250,000 to $ 300,000 Blu-Ray players on the market today. Even with out including the stand alone Blu-Ray players. That number crushes Toshibas paltry 70,000 players not to mention we won't be seeing the A2's till Jan. 2007
Sounds like ad hominem to me. You're wrong. You forgot the HD DVD addon and the fact that owning a P3 does not equal movie watching.
post #71 of 175
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95
You also hear "silly conspiracy theory" when someone posts facts then draws ridiculous unrelated conclusions.



That "ridiculous unrelated conclusions" is your opinion. What's great about America? We are free to make our own conclusions. You draw your conclusions and I draw mine, isn't America great! :)
post #72 of 175
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPforMe
Sounds like ad hominem to me. You're wrong. You forgot the HD DVD addon and the fact that owning a P3 does not equal movie watching.

Your "Fact" that owning a PS3 does not equal movie watching is your opinion. The fact that I have a PS3 and have purchased 7 Blu-Ray movies this week from Best Buy gives me the opinion that for me it does equal movie watching.
post #73 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0
They're certainly not linear, but I agree they're more logarithmic. Generally speaking that would favor HD DVD even more than a linear scale.

But any way you slice it, HD DVD is selling much better.
Wow you finally admit you can't correlate a sales ratio with these rankings? What happened to all those MONTHS where you were very comfortable just making up sales ratios left and right to suit your needs?
post #74 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0
Heh, I've been laughing at the conspiracy theories myself.

But it's been a tough week for the blu-boys. Finally their day had come and their toy debuted and barely a blip on the radar screen. Opps, radar must be broken! :D

If you think any of us have been having a tough week with the X-Men 3, Kingdom of Heaven, Black Hawk Down, and Ice Age 2 then you are clearly not a Blu-ray owner. It doesn't surprise me though that you think other people are like you, all into this video disc "war" to the point your happiness correlates with an Amazon sales ranking. I've got news for you... most of us have a life and are enjoying the movies.
post #75 of 175
Why am I not surprised this has now progressed to grand conspiracy theories involving global domination. As if I didn't see that one coming a mile away.

With regards to Amazon and Microsoft, just because 2 corporations may have relationships in one area does not equate to them supporting each other in other areas. A perfect example of this is a relationship between Toshiba and Sony. Toshiba and Sony are battling directly against each other in this format war. Yet Toshiba developed the Cell processor which is at the heart of Sony's trump card, the PS3.

So you want to know the truth of what's going on there? It's just a new corporate scheme to steal your under-compensated wages. Consumers are sick of double dipping, so they've just developed a new way to trick you out of your money. The truth is neither Sony nor Toshiba care if they win the format war. All they care about is getting you to buy the same movie multiple times. If you put the pieces together you'll see I'm absolutely correct!
post #76 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottscay
... the Amazon ranks just don't mean that much; it's safe to say that they indicate HD DVD sales have been ahead on Amazon, and that probably translates qualatatively to the entire market. Of course, by the same token having increased BD sales with the release of the PS3 may well indicate improving sales (on Amazon, at least), but again it's pretty much impossible to assign any real numerical value to those ranks, so you really can't draw any conclusions about the impact of the PS3.
Actually I disagree. As a fellow AVS poster on the HD-DVD forum indicated a while back, watch the amazon rankings on www.thedvdwars.com for older movies with a distinct appeal toward youth-skewing, 18-34 friendly sensibilities to see the impact of both the PS3 and HD-DVD add-on. Sure enough, as of 8:15PM ET on 11/21/06 'Underworld Evolution' and 'The Fifth Element' on BR ('Terminator 2' hovered over the PS3 release weekend) as well as 'Serenity' on HD-DVD have climbed into the Top 10 lists of their respective formats. Besides gamers who just bought a device that could allow them to see these HD movies for the first time how else to explain their bump into Top 10 selling status on amazon when they've been out for months and haven't been heavily discounted?

PS3 and the HD-DVD add-on are having an effect on sales, just not as big as expected in the case of BR given (a) the vast number of PS3's bought for eBay resale and (b) how many of these are in closets waiting to be unleashed on Christmas morning. It isn't until we're in the middle of January, when PS3's and HD-DVD add-on's have been unwrapped and people with gift certificates have spent them after the holidays, that we'll see the true colors of BR sales and the PS3 effect on them. If BR continues to trail HD-DVD sales by a substantial margin its time for Sony and its backers to start worrying. I already own the HD-DVD add-on and plan on buying the PS3 when its readily available, but I still haven't bought an HDTV set. Guess you can say it all adds-up to neutrality for mua! :(
post #77 of 175
Also, if we're going to talk about employees who have worked at 2 different companies, let's not forget that Amir used to work at Sony. Hmm.....
post #78 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic17
Your "Fact" that owning a PS3 does not equal movie watching is your opinion. The fact that I have a PS3 and have purchased 7 Blu-Ray movies this week from Best Buy gives me the opinion that for me it does equal movie watching.
Get the argument first before the non sequitor. It does not equal. It may but does not equal. You do know the difference don't you?
post #79 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoniner
If you think any of us have been having a tough week with the X-Men 3, Kingdom of Heaven, Black Hawk Down, and Ice Age 2 then you are clearly not a Blu-ray owner. It doesn't surprise me though that you think other people are like you, all into this video disc "war" to the point your happiness correlates with an Amazon sales ranking. I've got news for you... most of us have a life and are enjoying the movies.
I know you try to just pull me into some little boy pissing contest. I really get a chuckle out of it. :)

But seriously, I'm glad you finally got around to buying a player. Now you know what you've been missing. :) I watched Dupree tonight, myself. Not the best comedy... jeeze I actually feel like I wasted 2 hours. I recommend Animal House, CaddyShack or one of my fav's Blazing Saddles. "Rape, murder, arson and rape"
"you said rape twice"
"I like rape"
Gotta love Mel.... Brooks, that is
post #80 of 175
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic17
That "ridiculous unrelated conclusions" is your opinion. What's great about America? We are free to make our own conclusions. You draw your conclusions and I draw mine, isn't America great! :)
Last edited by CPanther95 : Today at 06:11 PM. Reason: Political comments removed.
Report Post

Nice... you could not think of an educated response so you just delete mine. Makes my point even stronger. :)
post #81 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic17
Last edited by CPanther95 : Today at 06:11 PM. Reason: Political comments removed.
Report Post

Nice... you could not think of an educated response so you just delete mine. Makes my point even stronger. :)
What is your point?
Can you please refrain from posting nonsense?
Thanks.
post #82 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by efranzen
Former Microsoft founder Paul Allen is building spacecraft. Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos is also building spaceships. Coincidence? I think not. DiscoveryHD also had their first live HD broadcast from space last week. It's all coming together now.
LOL, this has to be the best post on this thread so far! :D
post #83 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoniner
If you think any of us have been having a tough week with the X-Men 3, Kingdom of Heaven, Black Hawk Down, and Ice Age 2 then you are clearly not a Blu-ray owner. It doesn't surprise me though that you think other people are like you, all into this video disc "war" to the point your happiness correlates with an Amazon sales ranking. I've got news for you... most of us have a life and are enjoying the movies.
com'on Yoyoniner, admit it, your HD-A1 is getting more use than you combined Blu- Ray equipment .

Confess, King Kong, you saw it twice in one week already..... :D

[Mod: the term is Blu-Ray: please do not refer to it in any other way on AVS]
post #84 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanAVS
com'on Yoyoniner, admit it, your HD-A1 is getting more use than you combined Blur Ray equipment .

Confess, King Kong, you saw it twice in one week already..... :D
If he actually has one....
post #85 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsHT
If he actually has one....
He does, Yoyoniner said so in other threads. :)

oh, btw, another tidbit, TheBland is miffed that he sold his A1 in anticipation of getting the A2 from Robert last week...... won't admit it but he is upset having to wait to see King Kong & V for Vendetta..... :p
post #86 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanAVS
he said so in other threads......
I guess that makes it true then... :rolleyes:
post #87 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanAVS
com'on Yoyoniner, admit it, your HD-A1 is getting more use than you combined Blu- Ray equipment .

Confess, King Kong, you saw it twice in one week already..... :D

[Mod: the term is Blu-Ray: please do not refer to it in any other way on AVS]
Actually, if you look at the logo: it's Blu-ray.

Kris
post #88 of 175
Hmmm, speaking of the Amazon stats, time for a quick update on how the "PS3 Bluray Planetary Takeover" is going over the last 8 days:

http://www.thedvdwars.com/top10000-DVD-recent.swf

Nope, no reversal of the HD DVD lead there...

Perhaps in a few more days...
post #89 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam
Hmmm, speaking of the Amazon stats, time for a quick update on how the "PS3 Bluray Planetary Takeover" is going over the last 8 days:

http://www.thedvdwars.com/top10000-DVD-recent.swf

Nope, no reversal of the HD DVD lead there...

Perhaps in a few more days...
Nice steady increase for Blu-ray the past three weeks. If the trend continues it should overtake HD-DVD in about two months which sounds about right.
post #90 of 175
I too think blu-ray sales will inevitably surpass hd-dvd sales because the masses love best buy, playstation 3, and best buy does a great job associating playstation 3 with bluray and educating people, meanwhile toshiba continues with their delays.

I have a toshiba hd-a1 for the great upconversion, but I don't really care who wins the war, and even though hd-dvd might be the better choice in picture quality, just like beta was, that doesn't mean it's going to win.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › DVD Wars/Amazon