or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Definitive Technology SuperCube Trinity
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Definitive Technology SuperCube Trinity  

post #1 of 110
Thread Starter 
Hey guys,

I am an avid enthusiast of Home Theater, but I am new to these forums. I am putting together a Home Theater and I am looking to get a great subwoofer. I have been reading on here about the JL Audio, and the Velodyne and the Revel subs, but I have a question about definitive technolgies SuperCube Trinity sub. Has anyone had a chance to hear this subwoofer? On their website, it looks great on paper, but I would rather hear it from people who have actually used it or had a chance to demo it in a system.


I have a contact here that can get Definitive products for very cheap and he has offered to hook me up with this sub for what he says is a good price(not to be mentioned so please dont ask)

Someone please give me some information on this subwoofer.

Thanks guys!

GK
post #2 of 110
I have heard the Supercube Reference and it was a very good sub.. The Trinity looks like a monster of a sub compared to the other Supercubes. Basically, subs in this catagory have gotten so far beyond the needs of the average user, that price can trump performance. Are there better subs out there? Maybe but if you can buy this monster cheap, then there are not.
post #3 of 110
Definitive's SuperCube Trinity is a good subwoofer,quite capable.It is a great HT sub and agood music sub.

For music a JL f113 will best the Trinity by a long shot,fot HT the SuperCube is a winner.

Plus at a great price...go for it.
post #4 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaKim View Post

Hey guys,

I am an avid enthusiast of Home Theater, but I am new to these forums. I am putting together a Home Theater and I am looking to get a great subwoofer. I have been reading on here about the JL Audio, and the Velodyne and the Revel subs, but I have a question about definitive technolgies SuperCube Trinity sub. Has anyone had a chance to hear this subwoofer? On their website, it looks great on paper, but I would rather hear it from people who have actually used it or had a chance to demo it in a system.


I have a contact here that can get Definitive products for very cheap and he has offered to hook me up with this sub for what he says is a good price(not to be mentioned so please dont ask)

Someone please give me some information on this subwoofer.

Thanks guys!

GK

BTW - please change your font color - it's sorta hard to read when one has the forum in "AVS white" mode.
post #5 of 110
Thread Starter 
Sorry about the font color...

So the SuperCube Trinity will play lower than the JL f113 for HT? I have only read amazing things about the JL Subs. I just want to make sure I get the best sub for HT.

BTW, I will not be using this sub woofer for music as I just dont like that sound.

THANKS AGAIN!!!
GK
post #6 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaKim View Post

Sorry about the font color...

So the SuperCube Trinity will play lower than the JL f113 for HT? I have only read amazing things about the JL Subs. I just want to make sure I get the best sub for HT.

BTW, I will not be using this sub woofer for music as I just dont like that sound.

THANKS AGAIN!!!
GK

This is not meant to discredit the Trinity at all (because I have never heard one and it may be a fine subwoofer) but take Definitives specs with a grain of salt. They have a long history of "spec messaging".

-Eli
post #7 of 110
Thread Starter 
I have heard that. I am going to ask my friend if I can get a demo sub, but that will take a while...

In the meantime, I am going to follow craigsub's tests and continue to educate myself. If ANYONE has any info on the Trinity, please let me know.

Thanks,

GK
post #8 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaKim View Post

Sorry about the font color...

So the SuperCube Trinity will play lower than the JL f113 for HT? I have only read amazing things about the JL Subs. I just want to make sure I get the best sub for HT.

BTW, I will not be using this sub woofer for music as I just dont like that sound.

THANKS AGAIN!!!
GK

Play lower,hardly.It is a better value,as its price is much lower(its saving grace).

No Definitive sub is in the same league JL Audio subs are. Its like comparing ATI power amps with Krell FPB series.

I would not give my little f112 in exchange any Definitive,much less my f113.
post #9 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEAR View Post

Play lower,hardly.It is a better value,as its price is much lower(its saving grace).

No Definitive sub is in the same league JL Audio subs are. Its like comparing ATI power amps with Krell FPB series.

I would not give my little f112 in exchange any Definitive,much less my f113.

Output is too often taken as a selling point,bass control and integration...the Fathom has no equal below 5K.Period
post #10 of 110
Thread Starter 
Thanks Ear. I have never actually thought of it that way which is strange because it makes so much sense... I just figured that with a full range speaker (somewhat) all I would need is something that would play ULTRA low.

I have heard that the JL is a great sounding sub. I am curious now to see what kind of results the submersive gets. (And the yare all in the same price-range too)
post #11 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJEli View Post

This is not meant to discredit the Trinity at all (because I have never heard one and it may be a fine subwoofer) but take Definitives specs with a grain of salt. They have a long history of "spec messaging".

-Eli

I take a bit of issue with this because it's pretty tough to say they are spec massaging when no +/- tolerance is given....

It's a bit OT with respect to subwoofers, but take the BP10 for example. The spec sheet says 20Hz and Stereophile measured it at -3dB at 25Hz and between -5 and -6dB at 20Hz. That does not seem too unreasonable for spec vs. measured given the amount of grief they receive about spec massaging. In fact, Stereo Review measured that particular speaker at 25Hz to 20kHz +/-3.5dB and within +/-2dB over much of that range. That's not too shabby for any speaker - especially considering one that uses only two 6.5" mid/bass drivers and two tweeters.

Then there are the BP30s. These are spec'ed at 18Hz on the low end and I have measured them in my room, using REQW w/RS meter and correction factors, to be approximately -2.5dB at 20Hz and about -10dB at 16Hz. Not too shabby for speakers using four 6.5" drivers, IMO, of course.
post #12 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post

I take a bit of issue with this because it's pretty tough to say they are spec massaging when no +/- tolerance is given....

It's a bit OT with respect to subwoofers, but take the BP10 for example. The spec sheet says 20Hz and Stereophile measured it at -3dB at 25Hz and between -5 and -6dB at 20Hz. That does not seem too unreasonable for spec vs. measured given the amount of grief they receive about spec massaging. In fact, Stereophile measured that particular speaker at 25Hz to 20kHz +/-3.5dB and within +/-2dB over much of that range. That's not too shabby for any speaker - especially considering one that uses only two 6.5" mid/bass drivers and two tweeters.

Then there are the BP30s. These are spec'ed at 18Hz on the low end and I have measured them in my room, using REQW w/RS meter and correction factors, to be approximately -2.5dB at 20Hz and about -10dB at 16Hz. Not too shabby for speakers using four 6.5" drivers, IMO, of course.

take issue all you want. Why doesn't Definitive publish the db range like every other reputable manufacturer does?(or at the very least follow the standard +/-3db...which they don't) Its so someone who doesnt know any better will look at the Trinity (for example) and compare its specs to say an F113 or Submersive and think the Trinity will play lower and louder because it says 10hz on the sheet.

Just my opinion of course.

-Eli
post #13 of 110
Boy what a surprise Definitive Technology bashing. Its quite funny too because they must be selling lots of speakers to someone? Must be all the stupid people out there like me huh? Another thread that turns into a bash. To the OP don't listen to the BS spewing out of this thread. Definitive makes great speakers and even better subs. You should however listen to each and make up your own mind. A sub that was created for giant Churches could not be as bad as some here think it is or should be.
post #14 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.H. View Post

Boy what a surprise Definitive Technology bashing. Its quite funny too because they must be selling lots of speakers to someone? Must be all the stupid people out there like me huh? Another thread that turns into a bash. To the OP don't listen to the BS spewing out of this thread. Definitive makes great speakers and even better subs. You should however listen to each and make up your own mind. A sub that was created for giant Churches could not be as bad as some here think it is or should be.

what the hell??

sorry that your company has extremely crappy business practices, its not our fault.
post #15 of 110
Calm down people.

I like a few definitive speakers and subs.They make some good products,not OUTSTANDING,AMAZING and ASTOUNDING.

As the hoopla ladden adds say,they always quote some award winning reviewer who was IMPRESSED BEYOND IMPRESSED with how AMAZING their gear is.

I am not bashing,the adds look to be written by kids for kids(mentality). It is all good as it discredits them.
post #16 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchaforce View Post

what the hell??

sorry that your company has extremely crappy business practices, its not our fault.

That is BS and you know it. If they have such bad business practices why do people keep on buying those speakers? Why do the people that actually bought those speakers swear by them huh? Its DT bashing yet someones buying the speakers.
post #17 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEAR View Post

Calm down people.

I like a few definitive speakers and subs.They make some good products,not OUTSTANDING,AMAZING and ASTOUNDING.

As the hoopla ladden adds say,they always quote some award winning reviewer who was IMPRESSED BEYOND IMPRESSED with how AMAZING their gear is.

I am not bashing,the adds look to be written by kids for kids(mentality). It is all good as it discredits them.

Again bash the people who buy the speakers as "kids" or kids mentality. Thier ads are first rate why in the hell are you talking about? Its called bashing and its funny is what it is. people love those speakers for some reason. Oh wait were all just stupid for buying them right? well i think your stupid if you don't try them out. Its your loss if you don't.
post #18 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.H. View Post

Again bash the people who buy the speakers as "kids" or kids mentality. Thier ads are first rate why in the hell are you talking about? Its called bashing and its funny is what it is. people love those speakers for some reason. Oh wait were all just stupid for buying them right? well i think your stupid if you don't try them out. Its your loss if you don't.

OUCH that repply came out of the far reaches...OUCH

I say it again,slowly this time. Definitive adds are best for high school kids,they use qualifiers in GIANT BOLD LETTERS. I never said the buyers are at the kinder level,just high school,see I gave them credit where credit is due.

These are not purist speakers,with the bloated 18" super duper mega flabby woofa. Who needs definitive when I have Dynaudio Contour S5.4 and S3.4(sourround)and S-CX(center)with JL Audio and Velo HGS18 subs? Who?

Fact is they give supermarket frequency figures,with no linearity of any kind.

BASH,yes long live BASH subwoofer amps,they bash pretty good. I like BASH amps,very efficient,cool running and inexpensive.

Oh and these rough speakers are no match with my Tenor Audio monoblocks either.

Deaf Finitive = full size B0$e in a better sounding package

JH seriously,Definitive makes some quality speakers(like I've said before),simply are not anywhere near the level of HYPE(in BOLD CAPITAL letters)the arm twisting adds point.
post #19 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.H. View Post

Again bash the people who buy the speakers as "kids" or kids mentality. Thier ads are first rate why in the hell are you talking about? Its called bashing and its funny is what it is. people love those speakers for some reason. Oh wait were all just stupid for buying them right? well i think your stupid if you don't try them out. Its your loss if you don't.

You need to learn to ignore this guy. He's been banned from countless fora because of his very strange beliefs and the obnoxious way he has with people.
post #20 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou View Post

You need to learn to ignore this guy. He's been banned from countless fora because of his very strange beliefs and the obnoxious way he has with people.

I have been banned! From where? I post on the Klipsch forum mostly.Please refresh my memory,kind sir.
post #21 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEAR View Post

I have been banned! From where? I post on the Klipsch forum mostly.Please refresh my memory,kind sir.

I won't embarrass you in public but being bombastic here will not work. You need to really tone down your "personality" in your posts. Believe me "Santa Cruz" you are well, and not fondly, remembered. Give up on PC speakers? And as I recall you were the hottest hip hop, 40 year old DJ in Montreal.
If you continue to post like only your opinion counts you'll not be taken well here at all.
post #22 of 110
GinaKim,
As long as you are considering a sub with the credentials of the DT Trinity, you may want to also take a look at the Velodyne DD series, like the DD15 or DD18. Not cheap, but they really do go as low as claimed, and have the advantages of digital servo control, ultra-low distortion, and the built-in full scale parametric EQ functions. Very nice, world-class subs!

For the record, I own both a DT SC I and the Velo DD18 and the Velodyne is in a different league all together. Just some thoughts to consider B4 you spend the $$.

ss9001
post #23 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou View Post

I won't embarrass you in public but being bombastic here will not work. You need to really tone down your "personality" in your posts. Believe me "Santa Cruz" you are well, and not fondly, remembered.

I will talk SLOWLY(remember the bold letters).

Please embarass me Ziouf.And now(if you at all can).
post #24 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

GinaKim,
As long as you are considering a sub with the credentials of the DT Trinity, you may want to also take a look at the Velodyne DD series, like the DD15 or DD18. Not cheap, but they really do go as low as claimed, and have the advantages of digital servo control, ultra-low distortion, and the built-in full scale parametric EQ functions. Very nice, world-class subs!

For the record, I own both a DT SC I and the Velo DD18 and the Velodyne is in a different league all together. Just some thoughts to consider B4 you spend the $$.

ss9001

Very good option,I have an HGS18(DD18 minus the higher quality finish and EQ) it is a very potent subwoofer for HT and withmuisc there is not much better on the market.
post #25 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEAR View Post

I will talk SLOWLY(remember the bold letters).

Please embarass me Ziouf.And now(if you at all can).

Nope I won't play that game with you. It's enough for people to know you come with much baggage. Keep on rockin' dude.
post #26 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou View Post

Mope I won't play that game with you. It's enough for people to know you come with much baggage. Keep on rockin' dude.

No I will not waste time debating the pointless with you.As this creates a negative atmosphere in here.The forum should be about information and to enjoy gear we have.

I was refering to Definitive's ADDS in audio mags.They are great for high school kids.I stand by my words. Definitive manufactures speakers that appeal to a group of people that also like Mirage(bipolar)speakers,nothing wrong with this.

But in closing,the baggage you talk about,it is fiction.Being a liar is not good,I hope you know this. I was not banned from any major forum.
post #27 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEAR View Post

No I will not waste time debating the pointless with you.As this creates a negative atmosphere in here.The forum should be about information and to enjoy gear we have.

I was refering to Definitive's ADDS in audio mags.They are great for high school kids.I stand by my words. Definitive manufactures speakers that appeal to a group of people that also like Mirage(bipolar)speakers,nothing wrong with this.

But in closing,the baggage you talk about,it is fiction.Being a liar is not good,I hope you know this. I was not banned from any major forum.

Whatever you say Theear. I know you and so do others here. For the OP I have a HGS-18 and DD-18 here right now and they are both fabulous subs. The DD is more than just a DD + EQ there were numerous changes, but audibly they are very similar and both are world class.
post #28 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.H. View Post

That is BS and you know it. If they have such bad business practices why do people keep on buying those speakers? Why do the people that actually bought those speakers swear by them huh? Its DT bashing yet someones buying the speakers.

i never bashed definitive tech, their speakers are good for home theater, im just saying as a company, i put them a notch lower than monster cables in terms of business practices

oh and people buy BOSE speakers too bucko
post #29 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchaforce View Post

i... i put them a notch lower than monster cables in terms of business practices


That's funny, but a bit over the top. I've not heard of DT trying to sue anyone for using the words Definitive or Technology...
post #30 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou View Post

Whatever you say Theear. I know you and so do others here. For the OP I have a HGS-18 and DD-18 here right now and they are both fabulous subs. The DD is more than just a DD + EQ there were numerous changes, but audibly they are very similar and both are world class.



The DD18 numerous changes have done next to noting improving quality(sub bass) and output.The improvements come in large part from the integrated Velo "SMS1".
Aesthetic changes aside,and the minute changes at the driver level have done little IMO.
The venerable HGS18 is a legend in subs,improving on one is no easy task.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Definitive Technology SuperCube Trinity