or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › B&W Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

B&W Owner's Thread - Page 365

post #10921 of 17872
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyx11 View Post

That makes sense...I am definitely looking at sealed for the extra tightness and lack of "noise" from the port that some subs can emit.

The extra $100 for the F15 seems worth it to me and would probably be what I would end up going with if I go with the rhythmik over ML, Epik, etc.

I appreciate the suggestions

Best of luck with your search! Let us know what you end up going with.
post #10922 of 17872
thank you, will do...I just realized I've been misspelling rythmik, thank you for not correcting me even though I hate when people misspell things haha
post #10923 of 17872
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about the P5 or C5? I am interested in some headphones for on-the-go usage. I get nearly half off on both of these. At half their price, do they present great value? I also get substantila discounts on Shure, Senheisser, and Monster stuff.
post #10924 of 17872
I don't have any experience w/ those, but I own a pair of monster beats pros and they have some of the cleanest, deepest bass I've ever heard from a pair of headphones. The highs and mids are very clear and distinct as well. I know they seem like a gimmick type product, but they actually perform as well as they claim to.

Shure makes great in-ear headphones for on-stage monitor replacements that have awesome sound. Sennheiser makes great microphones (I own an e835) and have good reviews on their headphones, though I've never owned a good pair (only a $50 pair that sucked unfortunately)
post #10925 of 17872
I will be using them for computer games and on-the-go music. I don't listen to much besides bluegrass and folk. I am tempted time and time again to just purchase one of these because of the price and my necesity for a pair, but I want to make sure they are the best for the money (at half off) or that they are just a solid value.

Thanks
post #10926 of 17872
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyx11 View Post

I don't have any experience w/ those, but I own a pair of monster beats pros and they have some of the cleanest, deepest bass I've ever heard from a pair of headphones. The highs and mids are very clear and distinct as well. I know they seem like a gimmick type product, but they actually perform as well as they claim to.

Really?
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content...ats-dr-dre-pro
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content...d-beats-dr-dre
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content...-times-article
post #10927 of 17872

So, no input of your own on the subject just a sarcastic remark and some extremely long-winded, very wishy-washy, non-committing reviews on these headphones? He likes them, he doesn't like them, they're good for djs but not for audiophiles...I didn't say they were the most technical sounding, best headphones ever created, nor did I claim everyone to ever listen to them will feel like the philharmonic orchestra has been re-created in their ears.

Are there better headphones? I'm sure there are, but these are damn good sounding headphones and durable as hell to boot...not to mention the fact that Monster has excellent customer service and I've never had a problem getting a replacement under warranty on any item (mostly lifetime guitar cables, although way too overpriced in the 1st place but that's another can of worms altogether) Besides, he asked for recommendations, which is what I gave him according to what I've experienced.
post #10928 of 17872
Well, he seems to dispute your statement that "The highs and mids are very clear and distinct as well" and his measurements support his descriptions. I only heard them briefly and those are certainly not the adjectives come to mind. OTOH, I don't use any headphones myself (the only ones I have ever enjoyed are the Smyth/Stax setup) but I know and trust Tyll.
post #10929 of 17872
My first audio system started with B&W 686s on a pioneer elite vsx50. Ran stereo for a few months and have some lower end boston acoustics center channel and rear speakers.

Planning on CM series center channel and moving the 686s to the rear and replacing with floorstanding
post #10930 of 17872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Well, he seems to dispute your statement that "The highs and mids are very clear and distinct as well" and his measurements support his descriptions. I only heard them briefly and those are certainly not the adjectives come to mind. OTOH, I don't use any headphones myself (the only ones I have ever enjoyed are the Smyth/Stax setup) but I know and trust Tyll.

His measurements show the treble spikes that he was talking about sounding "biting" in most headphones, but not in the beats pro. These statements show that his findings are inconclusive at best, since he himself says "...the response is well balanced and remarkably well behaved" but as you said, he also disputes the clarity and distinctiveness of the mids and highs (though I can't seem to find where he says this now)

"Over all, a mild wooliness with a warm tilt characterizes the sound of these headphones, but otherwise the response is well balanced and remarkably well behaved. Very often headphones have a notch of missing information in the mid-treble, and a peak in the upper-treble resulting a biting or zingy sound. I found the Beats Pro free of strident brightness or areas of coloration.

I’m going to say something I don’t like saying: these headphones sound quite good loud. I DO NOT advocate loud listening, but for a DJ, I can see the need. I found that at elevated levels these headphones worked very well. They were dynamic and enunciated the tunes with clarity. I didn’t experience any harshness even with tracks that I know would be ear-bleeding on many headphones."

Don't use/own headphones at all, much less a pair of beats pro, yet your the authority on them? I'm just having fun w/ you now, but seriously though, I try not to put TOO much stock into reviews like this...more into what a friend that I trust has experienced 1st hand and the most into what I've experienced 1st hand by listening at a store or demoing them at home under the 30 day (or 45 day w/ premier silver membership w/ BB) warranty that I take full advantage of, if possible.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you for not turning this into a flame war even though my response was a bit defensive
post #10931 of 17872
Since we're going a bit off topic, I used to own the Beats Tour in-ears. I HATED them. Great for listening to hip hop and R&B, terrible if you want to listen to anything else that has mids and highs or for anyone who is a critical listener. Also, their build quality does not justify their $150 price tag. If you are a 16-24 year old kid who wears pants that are too low and puts neon tubes in the undercarriage of a Honda Civic or if you are a "fashion/trendy" customer, the Beats Tour are perfect for you.

I now own a set of Klipsch S4i. I've heard the P5 is okay if you like neutral sound. I like warm sound with lows slightly emphasized (without losing highs and mids) and the S4i fits that bill perfectly.
post #10932 of 17872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haseo461x View Post

My first audio system started with B&W 686s on a pioneer elite vsx50. Ran stereo for a few months and have some lower end boston acoustics center channel and rear speakers.

Planning on CM series center channel and moving the 686s to the rear and replacing with floorstanding

Nice What floorstanding models are you talking about? Cuz unless you plan on the CM9 or CM8, then the CM centre(2) is going to be overkill and likely drown out your floorstanders (or at the very least have to be turned so far down that it won't be in its "sweet" spot range).

Also the 686s will be a bit underpowered for rear duty w/ some CM series floorstanders, not to mention that pio vsx-50 will be underpowering the CM series floorstanders as well, which is not good. That receiver is very similar in power output to my Denon avr-2112ci, which is matched VERY well to the 684 floorstanders, HTM62 center channel, 685 or 686 for rears/sides.

I know the CM series are awesome looking and sounding, cuz I originally wanted some as well, but the reality is that the 600 series will sound better w/ that receiver than CM series will (I know b/c I've tested this combo out). If you want to upgrade to the Pio vsx-53, then running the 683s would be really good or (and this is what I'd do if spending $899 already) just spend the extra $200 and get the vsx-55 and you could easily power just about whatever you want (within normal price ranges and power consumption) including the CM series speakers. All of which are considerably more expensive than the 600 series speakers, albeit a good amount better as well (though not worth double the price point of its 600 series counterparts IMHO, i.e. 683 $749 & CM9 $1499...684 $549 & CM8 $1099...HTM61 $649 & CMC2 $1249)

BTW, all these prices are from BB and I'm sure are not near as cheap as you could get from ID, but I'm sure the ratios would still be about the same.
post #10933 of 17872
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post

Since we're going a bit off topic, I used to own the Beats Tour in-ears. I HATED them. Great for listening to hip hop and R&B, terrible if you want to listen to anything else that has mids and highs or for anyone who is a critical listener. Also, their build quality does not justify their $150 price tag. If you are a 16-24 year old kid who wears pants that are too low and puts neon tubes in the undercarriage of a Honda Civic or if you are a "fashion/trendy" customer, the Beats Tour are perfect for you.
I now own a set of Klipsch S4i. I've heard the P5 is okay if you like neutral sound. I like warm sound with lows slightly emphasized (without losing highs and mids) and the S4i fits that bill perfectly.

Now that's f'n funny haha I'm not sure how the tour sound compared to the pros, but I've heard some terrible reviews and had a couple friends (which is more important to me) that shared your hatred for the tour. Its crazy how much better the pro sound than the studio (not to mention how much better the build quality and materials are) and especially the solo hd.

Never heard the Klipsch ones though I'm not a fan of their harsh horn tweeters in the home speakers, so I would be wary of how the treble sounds at loud volumes. How much were those Klipsch S4i, if you don't mind me asking?
post #10934 of 17872
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyx11 View Post

Don't use/own headphones at all, much less a pair of beats pro, yet your the authority on them?

Not at all. I said that to disqualify my personal comments and throw the onus on the reviewer.
post #10935 of 17872
P5 are verry good headphones as long as you are not expecting a great deal of LF extension, as they - like a lot of headphones in that price range are somewhat lacking. On the other hand they produce very good natural mid and handle highs quite well without sounding to bright. They are a very good all around set of headphones.
post #10936 of 17872
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyx11 View Post

Now that's f'n funny haha I'm not sure how the tour sound compared to the pros, but I've heard some terrible reviews and had a couple friends (which is more important to me) that shared your hatred for the tour. Its crazy how much better the pro sound than the studio (not to mention how much better the build quality and materials are) and especially the solo hd.

Never heard the Klipsch ones though I'm not a fan of their harsh horn tweeters in the home speakers, so I would be wary of how the treble sounds at loud volumes. How much were those Klipsch S4i, if you don't mind me asking?

Hi I had the S4 and I can say that they sound very good, I have replaced them with a X10i and the sound is so good they are the best headphone that I have (they won three year running like the best in ear headphone by whathifi), you don't discard a headphone for the brand, you will be very surprise with their sound.
post #10937 of 17872
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo2498 View Post

Hi I had the S4 and I can say that they sound very good, I have replaced them with a X10i and the sound is so good they are the best headphone that I have (they won three year running like the best in ear headphone by whathifi), you don't discard a headphone for the brand, you will be very surprise with their sound.

That's cool, and to each their own...but I'm not gonna buy anything made by klipsch because the horn tweeters are too harsh up top for me. It's not that I am discarding them, I just wouldn't buy a set of Klipsch headphones without being able to listen to them 1st due to the fact that I don't like the way their speakers sound...it wouldn't make any sense. Maybe the headphones do sound better, but until I hear a pair that blow me away, I'll stick w/ the 3 sets I already own (Monster beats pro, Sony xtra bass, & Sony in-ear for working out that sound great)
post #10938 of 17872
There's a good headphone audiophile thread on here, and of course you can go to head-fi.org
The general consensus is the beats items are complete crap because they are not at all true to the input. You work for BB, get sennheisers. HD650 is more than the others mentioned, but is one of the most popular and best headphones in its price range, especially with a discount like you'll get. They do need an amp to sound their best though. HD598 is a good choice, it'll be cheaper than any mentioned and probably better too, and no amp required for them.
post #10939 of 17872
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparker36 View Post

There's a good headphone audiophile thread on here, and of course you can go to head-fi.org
The general consensus is the beats items are complete crap because they are not at all true to the input. You work for BB, get sennheisers. HD650 is more than the others mentioned, but is one of the most popular and best headphones in its price range, especially with a discount like you'll get. They do need an amp to sound their best though. HD598 is a good choice, it'll be cheaper than any mentioned and probably better too, and no amp required for them.

Thanks. I may be interested in a nice set of headphones in the future, but for now I've been interested in portability, isolation, value, and a pair that does not require an amp (portability), but certainly do not want to stray from sound quality. I am now considering the Sennheiser HD25-1 II and the B&W P5 as portable headphones. I've read many times that the P5 really develop with use. I'm slightly, but much less interested in the C5 when looking into some IEM options. I'm mainly looking at the Shure SE535 and Sennheiser IE80.

If there is any advice, I'd gladly hear it. I am interested in music (bluegrass/folk/rock) and really enjoy listening to tracks over and over while following different instruments. I like clarity, balance, and the OCD in me wants neutrality. The problem is that these characteristics may not be the best for gaming, and gaming ever so slightly less important than music. I play games created with immersive worlds and enjoy being taken away to another place. The games have great soundtracks (Fallout series, Elders Scrolls series, Starcraft series). Do any of these headphones offer an immersive gaming experience?

Thanks!
post #10940 of 17872
ultimate ears and etymotic research are two very popular in-ear monitor brands. See if you get discounts on either of those
post #10941 of 17872
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparker36 View Post

ultimate ears and etymotic research are two very popular in-ear monitor brands. See if you get discounts on either of those

No opinion on the models I mentioned well I can get a few of the ultimate ears and etymotic... just the models mentioned on the Best Buy website. I also want to stick with Best Buy because of my discount, financing options, and a discounted replacement plan as well. Does that make sense?
post #10942 of 17872
Not trying to be a jerk,but isn't there a headphone thread you guys can take this discussion to? Been way off topic for days now.........
post #10943 of 17872
I have a 15x18 room. Ceilings are 8ft high. On one of the walls I want to build a wall unit. The center of the unit will be a raised fireplace. TV will go on top of the fireplace.

I currently have 5.1 set up with B&W in-ceiling speakers. My wife is very pleased with the look, but the sound imaging of the speakers is very disappointing considering the price I paid for each B&W 818 (i.e. $800 per speaker).

I am considering buying B&W 805D for the front left and right and placing them on the bookshelves in the wall unit to the left and right of TV about 4 feet off the ground. Question: Will the 805Ds perform well on a book shelf?

Due to the relatively low ceiling height and the fireplace which will take up the first four feet from the ground, I will need to place the TV high off the ground. To improve the sound stage, I am considering buying the B&W HTM4 Diamond as the center. The center can be placed above or below the TV. My preference is to put the speaker above the TV (just below ceiling level). The alternative is to put the TV above the speaker, but this would put the TV at ceiling level. Question: Will placing the center at ceiling level significantly impact performance?

Thanks for your insight.
post #10944 of 17872
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post

I have a 15x18 room. Ceilings are 8ft high. On one of the walls I want to build a wall unit. The center of the unit will be a raised fireplace. TV will go on top of the fireplace.

I currently have 5.1 set up with B&W in-ceiling speakers. My wife is very pleased with the look, but the sound imaging of the speakers is very disappointing considering the price I paid for each B&W 818 (i.e. $800 per speaker).

I am considering buying B&W 805D for the front left and right and placing them on the bookshelves in the wall unit to the left and right of TV about 4 feet off the ground. Question: Will the 805Ds perform well on a book shelf?

Due to the relatively low ceiling height and the fireplace which will take up the first four feet from the ground, I will need to place the TV high off the ground. To improve the sound stage, I am considering buying the B&W HTM4 Diamond as the center. The center can be placed above or below the TV. My preference is to put the speaker above the TV (just below ceiling level). The alternative is to put the TV above the speaker, but this would put the TV at ceiling level. Question: Will placing the center at ceiling level significantly impact performance?

Thanks for your insight.

the 805's would be best placed on stands away from the front wall..putting them inside a wall unit on shelves is a big thumbs down
post #10945 of 17872
Have you thought about the CM series? Specifically Cm5 for mains. More compact but still a great sound. Furthermore the cmc or cmc2 for center have lower profiles than the htm , since you're tight on vertical space. I definitely think having the center below the tv will provide a better sound stage. Not to mention good for the WAF.

As for your ceiling speakers, if your avr or prepro allows it, turn them into front presence speakers. I did this with my old LM-1s and love it.
post #10946 of 17872
what receiver pre/pro do you have? My Onkyo will not accomodate front effects speakers. May need to upgrade. Need clean power to drive 805D.
post #10947 of 17872
Still looking for back surround speakers. It's down to the 685 and 686 with the M1 out (because they stink and are a laughable ripoff at $250 apiece).

There is a $200 difference in price from the 685 to the 686. The question is is there also a $200 difference in sound quality from the 685 to 686?
post #10948 of 17872
Quote:


Still looking for back surround speakers. It's down to the 685 and 686 with the M1 out (because they stink and are a laughable ripoff at $250 apiece).

There is a $200 difference in price from the 685 to the 686. The question is is there also a $200 difference in sound quality from the 685 to 686?

There is a marked difference in sound quality but I'm not sure it would be important since you will be using them for surrounds. Also, the 686s are rear-ported so that could be important depending on where you plan to place them in your room.
post #10949 of 17872
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post

what receiver pre/pro do you have? My Onkyo will not accomodate front effects speakers. May need to upgrade. Need clean power to drive 805D.

Yamaha a1000, helped by a rotel 1582 for mains. I really liked it when I initially used it for cm1s before I got the 8s. So now upgraditis has set in.

Any chance your onk has a zone 2 that can be retasked?
post #10950 of 17872
The Onkyo has 7.1. I am not using the back surrounds in the HT, but rather using them to power outside zone 2. Is it possible to use them for front effect speakers. When I run the speaker calibration would it recognize what I am doing. I am guessing not.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › B&W Owner's Thread