or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › Will DB8 work for HD stations labeled as VHF @ checkhd.com?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Will DB8 work for HD stations labeled as VHF @ checkhd.com?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I was just about to buy the DB8 but noticed that the description says "Targeted Band: UHF Channels 14-69"

checkhd.com shows one of my fringe area HD channels as "violet - vhf WTWC-DT"

Will the DB8 pull in this station or does it only work on the ones listed as UHF?
post #2 of 14
My Channel Master 4228 pulls in vhf down to 8. What is the vhf channel? close to 14?
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html Scroll to last chart .Shows how well DB8 picks up vhf.
post #3 of 14
there are 2 words to describe the vhf performance of the

DB8
DB4
cm4221
pr8800
pr4400
squareshooter

Pretty Crappy!

The cm 4228 does a mediocar job on highband vhf (ch.8-13) and gain in the band is up and down with the high points on ch 10,11, and 13.

cm4228 high band vhf gain in dbd.
ch7 -1
ch8 -4
ch9 +3
ch10 +6
ch11 +5
ch12 +1
ch13 +4

violet - vhf WTWC-DT transmits on ch2 at 9.2 Kw. None of the uhf antennas including the cm4228 will receive ch2.

you would need a combo vhf/uhf with high gain on vhf ... winegard hd8200p or separate uhf/vhf antennas with a cm7777 preamp to receive the stations rated as purple especiall for ch 2 which is a challenge to receive over long distance.
post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0725 View Post

you would need a combo vhf/uhf with high gain on vhf ... winegard hd8200p or separate uhf/vhf antennas with a cm7777 preamp to receive the stations rated as purple especiall for ch 2 which is a challenge to receive over long distance.

This VHF HD station is 80 miles or so away, so I guess I should just forget about trying to pull it in ?
post #5 of 14
you would need a combo vhf/uhf with high gain on vhf ... a winegard hd8200p or separate uhf/vhf antennas with a cm7777 preamp to receive the stations rated as purple especially for ch 2 which is a challenge to receive over long distance.

the separate vhf / uhf choices would be

wade/delhi 306-vip vhf antenna with an antennas direct 91xg combined through a cm7777 preamp.

combo vhf/uhf choice would be a winegard hd8200P.

receiving ch 2 from 80 miles will be a challenge and may not be possible.
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWJABOY View Post

I was just about to buy the DB8 but noticed that the description says "Targeted Band: UHF Channels 14-69"

checkhd.com shows one of my fringe area HD channels as "violet - vhf WTWC-DT"

Will the DB8 pull in this station or does it only work on the ones listed as UHF?

Get a CM4228 instead of a DB8. It's a better UHF antenna and is less expensive.....but as Rick said, it won't get you channel 2!
post #7 of 14
Hi there - I bought the DB-8 based on antenna direct recommendation -but I've not installed it yet. Someone suggested the Winegard Sensar. I'd like it in the attic.
Any thoughts?
Can the CM work in the attic as the DB-8 would have?
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoDeb View Post

Hi there - I bought the DB-8 based on antenna direct recommendation -but I've not installed it yet. Someone suggested the Winegard Sensar. I'd like it in the attic.
Any thoughts?
Can the CM work in the attic as the DB-8 would have?

forget about the sensor at 30+ miles.

your choices are.

winegard hd7082P combo vhf/uhf if you desire a big combo antenna or a cm4228 which will receive the high band vhf station below.

The db8 is not suggested to receive ch 9!!! you received bad info from the supplier. return it.

the dbd gain on ch 9 with the
DB-8 is -19 dbd.
cm 4228 +3
* yellow - vhf WFAA-DT 8.1 ABC DALLAS TX 198° 32.2 ch9 vhf

your station is yellow so you should not have issues with the cm4228 in the attic.
post #9 of 14
Will i need an amp?
post #10 of 14
your stations are at the yellow end. a preamp may not be necessary with the cm4228.

it all depends...determine the need after you install the antenna.
post #11 of 14
Awesome. Thanks.
Last question - Do I need to ground the antenna if it is in the attic?
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoDeb View Post

Last question - Do I need to ground the antenna if it is in the attic?

Anyone have an answer to this question?

Thanks
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Do I need to ground the antenna if it is in the attic?

Pretty universal consensus is there is no reason to ground the indoor antenna.
post #14 of 14
Figured, but just wanted to make sure. Didn't want to find out it was needed the hard way.

thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Technical
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › Will DB8 work for HD stations labeled as VHF @ checkhd.com?