or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Recently bought Sony SXRD. Worth $2500-$3000 for Pioneer plasma with "only" 720p?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recently bought Sony SXRD. Worth $2500-$3000 for Pioneer plasma with "only" 720p?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
First off...I'm technology agnostic. I'm not wall-mounting, so I don't care about depth. I just want the best picture I can get. I recently purchased a Sony 60A2000 and have been wondering if I should have gone the plasma route. I'm still within my return period, so I've been checking out several plasma displays. The Pioneer 5070HD, while not as large as the Sony (screen area), is in the same price range and seems to produce a gorgeous picture...even in Best Buy. When I purchased the Sony, I said, "I'm getting nothing but 1080p." Well...upon further examination, this Pioneer is one of the most positively reviewed displays on the market, yet it's not 1080p. Also, I've read that it will accept a 1080p24 signal. It can't resolve all that information, so...what gives? How does this display stack up against 1080p displays?
post #2 of 9
If size isn't an issue I would get the 60" for the price of the 50 PIO or save and get the 50" sxrd. Picture is nice. I have a Pio plasma because of size issues with the SXRD. IMO they are par on PQ
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the response! Looking in Best Buy, the Pioneer seemed to have deeper blacks. Also, I'm intrigued by the 1080p24 input. What will be the benefit of that in the future?
post #4 of 9
I was looking at the same 2 sets (Sony 60A2000 and Pio 5070) for 2 months. The longer I look the better the plasma sets look, most plasma sets including Pioneer, Panasonic, Hitachi, Samsung. I have been mesmerized by the "plasma effect" much discussed in this forum, namely the visual illusion of looking out through a clear window.

Watching the same source material in SXRD and plasma, the picture appears more 3D in plasma and its screen disappear in my mental view, while the rear projection set screen is always there. Sure 1080p on a 60-inch set makes picture very very sharp, maybe too sharp to be natural. 1080p also reveals plenty of picture defects from most currently existing sources. It demands the highest quality source material.

I like soft picture, "Hollywood" illusion when I watch TV/movies, hence plasma is a better set for me. 720p in 60 inch or less is OK with me at sitting distance 8' plus.

The ability to accept 1080p signal is useful to avoid excessive signal processing to scale to the native resolution of the set. Without this ability, a 720p set has to accept 1080i signal, deinterlace it (1 problem area for many plasma set), then re scale it to its native 768p or 720p resolution.

Size does matter for total immersion effect while watching movie. The question is whether enlarged picture noise tolerable or not? We don't have a perfect set up at present for video display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkerg View Post

First off...I'm technology agnostic. I'm not wall-mounting, so I don't care about depth. I just want the best picture I can get. I recently purchased a Sony 60A2000 and have been wondering if I should have gone the plasma route. I'm still within my return period, so I've been checking out several plasma displays. The Pioneer 5070HD, while not as large as the Sony (screen area), is in the same price range and seems to produce a gorgeous picture...even in Best Buy. When I purchased the Sony, I said, "I'm getting nothing but 1080p." Well...upon further examination, this Pioneer is one of the most positively reviewed displays on the market, yet it's not 1080p. Also, I've read that it will accept a 1080p24 signal. It can't resolve all that information, so...what gives? How does this display stack up against 1080p displays?
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkerg View Post

Thanks for the response! Looking in Best Buy, the Pioneer seemed to have deeper blacks. Also, I'm intrigued by the 1080p24 input. What will be the benefit of that in the future?

Actually, SXRD has better black than plasma if properly adjusted/calibrated. It is also brighter and therefore more suitable for daytime viewing than plasma.

I do not want to come across as LCos/SXRD bashing plasma promoter. Each set has distinct pluses and minuses. It's your decision to balance them to your satisfaction. If I were you, I would sit back and enjoy your set until there is a reason to prevent that instead of looking around to see what is better out there. Trust me, there are so so many good sets and not-so-good sets out there, even with the economics of ownership factored in.

Joy and Peace
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster7 View Post

Actually, SXRD has better black than plasma if properly adjusted/calibrated. It is also brighter and therefore more suitable for daytime viewing than plasma.

I do not want to come across as LCos/SXRD bashing plasma promoter. Each set has distinct pluses and minuses. It's your decision to balance them to your satisfaction. If I were you, I would sit back and enjoy your set until there is a reason to prevent that instead of looking around to see what is better out there. Trust me, there are so so many good sets and not-so-good sets out there, even with the economics of ownership factored in.

Joy and Peace

Absolute black levels on a SXRD are better... but as far as real video? That's a no.

That's because depending on how much light is on a given scene, the black levels on rear projection sets rise. So while an SXRD may look more dark gray on an all black screen then a Pioneer... once a picture shows up, the blacks of the Pioneer stay consistent vs. the SXRD which would 'float' blacks a little.

Flat Panels are beginning to do black better.
post #7 of 9
I went the Sony 60" A2000 route and am regretting it now. I can't get past the whole SSE problem with these sets. I unfortunately did not do my homework and made an impulse buy based on early great reviews. And if you like hockey, you will be very dissapointed with that TV. The white screen background really shows some major defects with the SXRD technology. Particulary with the middle of the screen and when the camera moves up and down the rink.

I have a panny plasma in my room and love it. The plamsa in my eyes is the best. I wish I would have waited and bought the panny 58 now that the price has dropped. Anyone want to buy a Sony A2000?
post #8 of 9
[QUOTE=hockeynut]I went the Sony 60" A2000 route and am regretting it now. I can't get past the whole SSE problem with these sets. I unfortunately did not do my homework and made an impulse buy based on early great reviews. And if you like hockey, you will be very dissapointed with that TV. The white screen background really shows some major defects with the SXRD technology. Particulary with the middle of the screen and when the camera moves up and down the rink.QUOTE]

I have a 60" A2000. When I watch hockey on SD the picture gets a little grainy the further away from the play the camera is. (could also be a SD STB issue) But its very watchable.

When I watch hockey on HD my jaw hits the floor the picture is so amazing.
post #9 of 9
The SSE and the off axis viewing puts the SXRD in a class below the best plasmas.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Recently bought Sony SXRD. Worth $2500-$3000 for Pioneer plasma with "only" 720p?