or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Sony BDP-S1 BD Player: USER REPORTS Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony BDP-S1 BD Player: USER REPORTS Here - Page 2

post #31 of 2891
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjerina View Post

Is the player equiped with HDMI 1.3 ???

Only the Toshiba HD-XA2 is equipped with HDMI v1.3 and due out at the end of the month. If you need the benefits of v1.3 then it will be available in HD-DVD format however.
post #32 of 2891
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwclark View Post

Only the Toshiba HD-XA2 is equipped with HDMI v1.3 and due out at the end of the month. If you need the benefits of v1.3 then it will be available in HD-DVD format however.

Nope.. The PS3 is equipped with HDMI 1.3 and you can enjoy the benefits right now on Blu Ray..
post #33 of 2891
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

Nope.. The PS3 is equipped with HDMI 1.3 and you can enjoy the benefits right now on Blu Ray..

Not sure I agree: in order to realize the benefit of 1.3 HDMI, every connected component; display, video processor, etc, must be 1.3 compliant

Otherwise you are limited to the lower HDMI featureset
post #34 of 2891
Thread Starter 
thought I would bump this user report thread

I have been installing the Sony BDP-S1 in my HT and have some notes of interest:

-Middle Atlantic now has an RSH4A rack drawer for this unit

-this player has an IR input jack on the rear panel (shares the Control S input) so you don't need an emitter on the front panel : connects to a standard IR block with a standard cable with 3.5 miniplugs

-BDP-S1 outputs component video and HDMI 1080i simultaneously!
post #35 of 2891
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post


-BDP-S1 outputs component video and HDMI 1080i simultaneously!

I knew about the IR, but that "is" interesting about the simultaneous output!...Kewl
post #36 of 2891
Thread Starter 
made this thread a sticky: please post all BDP-S1 user reports here
post #37 of 2891
Thread Starter 
just so it is in this user thread:

Test patterns

-bring up the top menu on a Sony BD disc (Fifth Element for example)

-enter 7669

-Test patterns appear: use seach buttons to cycle through them (I saw a report that test patterns crush whites and blacks)
post #38 of 2891
Quote:
Nope.. The PS3 is equipped with HDMI 1.3 and you can enjoy the benefits right now on Blu Ray..

Actually, the PS3 does not currently support any HDMI 1.3 functionality. It is the only shipping product to include a HDMI 1.3 part from Silicon Image, but the software is limited to HDMI 1.2 functionality. That will change with a software update coming next year.

As Mark Rubin noted, you also need a HDMI 1.3 receiver and/or HDMI 1.3 display to take advantage of those features.
post #39 of 2891
I am trying to apply DPL IIx as well without success. The initial setup menu of the Sony does not offer the option of 7.1 speaker setup. Does this mean that the player will not process 7.1 in PCM? I was watching XMen III and it features a 6.1 DTS ES soundtrack. In the audio category of the Sony's setup menu you can choose Auto or PCM. When I set it to Auto it played this disk back as a DTS ES Discrete soundtrack on my Denon 4306 with the surround back speakers engaged. When I changed the Sony's audio setting to PCM it played through the Multi 7.1 surround mode of the Denon but with no signal in the surround back speakers. I could not apply DPLIIx processing. Anyone with suggestions?
post #40 of 2891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcguinn View Post

I am trying to apply DPL IIx as well without success. The initial setup menu of the Sony does not offer the option of 7.1 speaker setup. Does this mean that the player will not process 7.1 in PCM? I was watching XMen III and it features a 6.1 DTS ES soundtrack. In the audio category of the Sony's setup menu you can choose Auto or PCM. When I set it to Auto it played this disk back as a DTS ES Discrete soundtrack on my Denon 4306 with the surround back speakers engaged. When I changed the Sony's audio setting to PCM it played through the Multi 7.1 surround mode of the Denon but with no signal in the surround back speakers. I could not apply DPLIIx processing. Anyone with suggestions?

Make sure your surround back channel mode is set to "ON" not "auto"...I have the Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXsi and it will allow me to add the PCM+modes no problem...BTW, it won't show up on the front panel of the receiver...you have to listen to the speakers themselves when you check.
post #41 of 2891
Thanks, I found a similar parameter that I had to adjust with the Denon and now I have a signal to the back surrounds
post #42 of 2891
How has everyone's experiences been with upconversion?

I was going to use my HD-A1 for upconverison over my HDMI-DVI connection since the HD-A1 and my Oppo 971 are pretty much neck and neck there, but since the HD-A1 is crushing blacks over HDMI, I'm going to try the BDP-S1 with upconversion for a while. It was crushing blacks as well, but adjusting the colorspace options on the BDP-S1 seems to have corrected this.

Using Revenge Of The Sith, I am not seeing much a difference at all in upconversion quality between the 971, the HD-A1 and the BDP-S1.

Anyone else?
post #43 of 2891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcguinn View Post

Thanks, I found a similar parameter that I had to adjust with the Denon and now I have a signal to the back surrounds

Well, your welcome, but I don't deserve it...I thought I was testing the Sony, but it was the PS3 that allowed me to play the PCM+ modes...After I made that last post, I realized my error...You are correct!...The Sony will not allow the PCM+ modes for some reason...Hmmm, that pisses me off!... ....Sorry for the misinfo...
post #44 of 2891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcguinn View Post

I am trying to apply DPL IIx as well without success. The initial setup menu of the Sony does not offer the option of 7.1 speaker setup. Does this mean that the player will not process 7.1 in PCM? I was watching XMen III and it features a 6.1 DTS ES soundtrack. In the audio category of the Sony's setup menu you can choose Auto or PCM. When I set it to Auto it played this disk back as a DTS ES Discrete soundtrack on my Denon 4306 with the surround back speakers engaged. When I changed the Sony's audio setting to PCM it played through the Multi 7.1 surround mode of the Denon but with no signal in the surround back speakers. I could not apply DPLIIx processing. Anyone with suggestions?

You are correct...I can't get my Sony to output the surround back PCM+ modes...Although they work perfect on the PS3....Hmmmmmmmmmmm...
post #45 of 2891
first impression with this unit, which was bought today.

Picture was good, but not mind blowing. I've only tried the "Superman Returns" BD. Easily surpasses standard DVD as well as Super-bit DVD. I was a little disappointed, it seems at first glance that some (definitely not all) of the sat HD broadcasts are better. (DirecTV using Hughes HDTV) I am watching at 720P using the HDMI interface. I have the Yamaha DPX 1200. Will try playing with the outputs over the next few days to see if output at 1080i will make a difference.

Also disappointed that it does not play CD, confirming a post which I had read prior to purchase.
post #46 of 2891
Oh, another thing. $1000 asking price and no HDMI cable? Not even a component cable. It comes with a stereo RCA and COMPOSITE video connector. Huh????? Good thing I have optical cables and HDMI cables just laying around, otherwise a second trip to BB.
post #47 of 2891
Quote:
Originally Posted by richkhu View Post

first impression with this unit, which was bought today.

Picture was good, but not mind blowing. I've only tried the "Superman Returns" BD. Easily surpasses standard DVD as well as Super-bit DVD. I was a little disappointed, it seems at first glance that some (definitely not all) of the sat HD broadcasts are better. (DirecTV using Hughes HDTV) I am watching at 720P using the HDMI interface. I have the Yamaha DPX 1200. Will try playing with the outputs over the next few days to see if output at 1080i will make a difference.

Also disappointed that it does not play CD, confirming a post which I had read prior to purchase.

Check out, "Black Hawk Down" and let us know what you think of the PQ...also, "The Great Raid"...
post #48 of 2891
Quote:
Originally Posted by richkhu View Post

Oh, another thing. $1000 asking price and no HDMI cable? Not even a component cable. It comes with a stereo RCA and COMPOSITE video connector. Huh????? Good thing I have optical cables and HDMI cables just laying around, otherwise a second trip to BB.

Yeah...I -- and MANY others -- couldn't agree more!!!!
When you spend $1000 for something that practically REQUIRES a $10 part to function at its best.....a company SHOULD have the foresight to INCLUDE the part WITH THE UNIT!!
But, of course, Sony's not the only one at fault here....MOST mfgrs. who incorporate HDMI into their products do NOT include the appropriate cable...
Considering the cost of a 6' HDMI/HDMI cable from Monoprice.com.....to me, it should be a "no-brainer" for ANY company to start including one with their equipment....
post #49 of 2891
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckken View Post

Check out, "Black Hawk Down" and let us know what you think of the PQ...also, "The Great Raid"...

Might I also add "Kingdom of Heaven".....
post #50 of 2891
Quote:
Originally Posted by richkhu View Post

first impression with this unit, which was bought today.

Picture was good, but not mind blowing. I've only tried the "Superman Returns" BD. Easily surpasses standard DVD as well as Super-bit DVD. I was a little disappointed, it seems at first glance that some (definitely not all) of the sat HD broadcasts are better. (DirecTV using Hughes HDTV) I am watching at 720P using the HDMI interface. I have the Yamaha DPX 1200. Will try playing with the outputs over the next few days to see if output at 1080i will make a difference.

Also disappointed that it does not play CD, confirming a post which I had read prior to purchase.

As is often stated, please check out other discs. Sadly, the software is often the weak link in the video quality chain right now. Very uneven quality. Superman Returns is just "ok" in my view.
post #51 of 2891
Has anyone had problems with their units when playing SD DVDs? I have only played 2 all the way thru. On King Kong, the player froze on the scene where Kong is restained on the stage. After pushing the stop and play bottons several times, the scene jumped to Kong bursting out thru the theater outer wall. On Fellowship of the Ring, the player stutered once toward the end of the first disk but did not stop completely. Played the second disk with no problem. I have not had any of these problems with the 3 BDs played so far.

Overall, I am very happy with the PQ for both BD and SD DVD. The 480i over HDMI thru my Lumagen HDP VP is a definite improvement when compared to the Sony 999es I had been using for SD DVD.
post #52 of 2891
Thanks for the tip. I had looked at "Black Hawk Down" but decided not to purchase, I already have the SD DVD version, and thought the overcontrasted washed out colors intended by the director a limiting factor for system "demo". Have a half dozen movies to go through before passing an opinion that really matters. I may get "Great Raid" next week, already have "Kingdom of Heaven" on SD DVD but haven't seen it. It may make a decent SD, BD comparison, though my gut feeling is that it won't be much of a contest.
post #53 of 2891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcguinn View Post

I am trying to apply DPL IIx as well without success. The initial setup menu of the Sony does not offer the option of 7.1 speaker setup. Does this mean that the player will not process 7.1 in PCM? I was watching XMen III and it features a 6.1 DTS ES soundtrack. In the audio category of the Sony's setup menu you can choose Auto or PCM. When I set it to Auto it played this disk back as a DTS ES Discrete soundtrack on my Denon 4306 with the surround back speakers engaged. When I changed the Sony's audio setting to PCM it played through the Multi 7.1 surround mode of the Denon but with no signal in the surround back speakers. I could not apply DPLIIx processing. Anyone with suggestions?

Hmmm. Is that a discrete 6.1 track? The nomenclature should be DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 otherwise it is just a 6.1 matrixed (just like DD 5.1 EX - should state DTS-ES Matrixed 6.1 but there is a lot of inconsistency when the specs are put on the packaging). If you put it on auto wont that send out the bitstream instead of PCM and then your Denon can apply DPLIIX processing to get the matrixed channels? If you send it out as PCM and you get 5.1 channels that means it is indeed 6.1 matrixed DTS ES.
post #54 of 2891
I've been very impressed so far with the BDP-S1, especially the 720p performance which is what I would expect it to be -- the best possible 720p image from a 1080p source (way better than 720p HD cable, for instance) instead of something that was downconverted and then upconverted, as the original firmware for the Toshiba *A1 did, and (apparently) the PS3 still does.

I have one minor glitch though -- my player really wants to output RGB instead of YCbCr. Specifically, I set it for YCbCr output and all is fine, but as soon as I stop/start the player it goes back to outputing RGB, while saying on the config screen it is still set for YCbCr! If I set it to RGB it stays at RGB, both in config and output.

Odd, yes? Anybody seen this? I am going through an HDMI-DVI converter -- could this be confusing the HDMI auto-output sniffing maybe?

My perception is that the RGB output is a touch over-saturated compared to the YCbCr, but I don't have hard facts to back that up. Anybody else trying RGB?

My solution to this is to leave the player on, but w/o a disc in so the motor's not spinning. Kludgy, but effective.

-John

PS: Mods -- thanks for the thread merge, I was about to ask about that!
post #55 of 2891
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPforMe View Post

Hmmm. Is that a discrete 6.1 track? The nomenclature should be DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 otherwise it is just a 6.1 matrixed (just like DD 5.1 EX - should state DTS-ES Matrixed 6.1 but there is a lot of inconsistency when the specs are put on the packaging). If you put it on auto wont that send out the bitstream instead of PCM and then your Denon can apply DPLIIX processing to get the matrixed channels? If you send it out as PCM and you get 5.1 channels that means it is indeed 6.1 matrixed DTS ES.

No, the problem is with the Sony you cannot add the PCM+PLII+MV etc surround back modes to the 5.1 PCM signal like you can with the PS3...and we are wondering why????
post #56 of 2891
Is anyone aware of how to view the firmware level of this unit. Is it somewhere in the system user menu (couldn't find it here) ala the HD-DVD players or is it in the service menu which must be accessed via a key combination (more likely).
post #57 of 2891
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Williams View Post

I've been very impressed so far with the BDP-S1, especially the 720p performance which is what I would expect it to be -- the best possible 720p image from a 1080p source (way better than 720p HD cable, for instance) instead of something that was downconverted and then upconverted, as the original firmware for the Toshiba *A1 did, and (apparently) the PS3 still does.

I have one minor glitch though -- my player really wants to output RGB instead of YCbCr. Specifically, I set it for YCbCr output and all is fine, but as soon as I stop/start the player it goes back to outputing RGB, while saying on the config screen it is still set for YCbCr! If I set it to RGB it stays at RGB, both in config and output.

Odd, yes? Anybody seen this? I am going through an HDMI-DVI converter -- could this be confusing the HDMI auto-output sniffing maybe?

My perception is that the RGB output is a touch over-saturated compared to the YCbCr, but I don't have hard facts to back that up. Anybody else trying RGB?

My solution to this is to leave the player on, but w/o a disc in so the motor's not spinning. Kludgy, but effective.

-John

PS: Mods -- thanks for the thread merge, I was about to ask about that!

To add to the confusion, mine did the opposite. I couldn't get the blacker than black stripe on DVE to show up when trying to set brightness. So I changed the color space setting to 16-235 (who reads manuals?) since I also use HDMI/DVI. BTB worked fine after this. Watched KOH and TFE and thought KOH was a bit dark. Next day played around with some setting including increasing brightness in my VP. Checked DVE again and the damned 3rd black bar would not show up although the setting still said 16-235. Clicked on the setting again and the player reset to 16-235!!! I have since watched XMen 3 and the 2 SD-DVDs mentioned above under freezing/stuttering problem and they all look great.

I tried several output setting i.e. both 480i and 1080i Direct as well as plain 480i and 1080i to see which produced the best PQ with my VP outputting 1080p. My tentative conclusion is that it may be necessary to specifically set the color space for each one rather than assume that setting it once applies it to all resolutions.

FINALLY (to all owners), I would really like some feedback regarding my posting above on SD DVD freezing/stuttering issues. If my unit is the only one doing this it will go back to BB. The question then becomes replace it with another Sony or get the Pioneer. 480i over HDMI is important to me. Thanks
post #58 of 2891
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

To add to the confusion, mine did the opposite. I couldn't get the blacker than black stripe on DVE to show up when trying to set brightness. So I changed the color space setting to 16-235 (who reads manuals?) since I also use HDMI/DVI. BTB worked fine after this. Watched KOH and TFE and thought KOH was a bit dark. Next day played around with some setting including increasing brightness in my VP. Checked DVE again and the damned 3rd black bar would not show up although the setting still said 16-235. Clicked on the setting again and the player reset to 16-235!!! I have since watched XMen 3 and the 2 SD-DVDs mentioned above under freezing/stuttering problem and they all look great.

I tried several output setting i.e. both 480i and 1080i Direct as well as plain 480i and 1080i to see which produced the best PQ with my VP outputting 1080p. My tentative conclusion is that it may be necessary to specifically set the color space for each one rather than assume that setting it once applies it to all resolutions.

FINALLY (to all owners), I would really like some feedback regarding my posting above on SD DVD freezing/stuttering issues. If my unit is the only one doing this it will go back to BB. The question then becomes replace it with another Sony or get the Pioneer. 480i over HDMI is important to me. Thanks

I just replied with a very detailed message about this SD-DVD lock up or stutter but when I clicked submit the stupid forum said I wasn't logged in.

So, simple explaination. I had a similar un-smooth scene switch happen on Pirate's - Dead Man's Chest near the end of the movie. I believe this is where the DVD-Video Dual Layer switches layers.

It better take this response!
post #59 of 2891
I'm specificly curious on observations about it's upconversion quality on SD dvds over both component and HDMI and any limitations.
post #60 of 2891
It's best to use an Oppo or Denon for SD (up-converting) play as they have seamless layer changes (due to 8 MB buffer). Unless you are not bothered by the layer change.

Thankfully HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs don't have this problem.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Sony BDP-S1 BD Player: USER REPORTS Here