or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Wireless Keyboards and the PS3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wireless Keyboards and the PS3

post #1 of 103
Thread Starter 
I'm entering this thread using a Globlink 2.4GHz RF Wireless Keyboard with a Optical Trackball and it works great. I've been using it for several months with a PC I have connected to my DLP HDTV in the living room. Just plugged the USB receiver into the PS3 and synced it with the keyboard and it worked right away.

Please post any other makes and models of wireless keyboards/mice that work with the PS3 (infrared, RF, Bluetooth).

[F1] Opens the rightside options panel.
The arrow keys, [ENTER] and [ESC] work as you would think - even with the PS3's main menu structure.
[ALT]+[ENTER] is used for Line Breaks as I type this on the PS3.
Unfortunately, [HOME], [END], [PAGE UP] and [PAGE DOWN] don't seem to work (for now).

The trackball on this keyboard makes for an excellent wireless mouse without the need for a mouse pad. With this particular setup, I don't need the controller at all.

I have an inexpensive Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse combo I will have to give a try when I have time.
post #2 of 103
Thanks for making this thread. It should be useful to others in confirming Kb/m models work. I have seen other models on the board work (or do not work), and only people who actually TEST the models themselves should really post the models here. (rather than saying "I have heard that this model works" etc). thanks
post #3 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

I'm entering this thread using a Globlink 2.4GHz RF Wireless Keyboard with a Optical Trackball and it works great.


I found a fairly recent review with pictures of this keyboard/mouse combo:
http://www.dansdata.com/globlink.htm

Which keyboard version do you have? The standard or slimline?
post #4 of 103
Thread Starter 
kenchi, thanks for posting that link. In that review, I have the one on the left. The model number on mine is GKM-700. Also note that the manufacturer produces the same keyboard for other companies so the look, key layout, brand name, etc. will be different on virtually the same product.

Correction from above. I still need the controller until I can find out what on the keyboard/trackball mouse acts like the controller's START button.
I was downloading a demo from the Sony Store and everything was fine until I got to the part when you are prompted to press START to begin the download. Pressing the Left/Right 'mouse' buttons, ENTER, etc. didn't work and I had to reach for the controller.
post #5 of 103
Wesley,
Where did you buy yours? I am having trouble finding the GKM-700. thx
post #6 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchi View Post

Wesley,
Where did you buy yours? I am having trouble finding the GKM-700. thx

Well, even though the model number on the bottom of the keyboard is GKM-700, the invoice I got (had to find it) says GSM-700 instead.

Anyway, I got it here:

LINK
post #7 of 103
The cheapest model wireless keyboard/mouse combo from Frys worked instantly for me.

It's an Inland brand setup and cost $20.
It uses RF and works great from the back of the room.

Frys Link
post #8 of 103
I've been using the Imperial 2.4G Wireless Keyboard+Trackball and LOVE it.


Sony needs to add more keyboard shortcuts as you have mentioned - back and forward (L1 and R1 buttons) should be mapped to the KB for sure.

http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/re...game=xgene_ps3 (my review)
http://www.fastlanehw.com/reviews.php?i=160

Can get it for about $49 online.
post #9 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallow View Post

The cheapest model wireless keyboard/mouse combo from Frys worked instantly for me.

It's an Inland brand setup and cost $20.
It uses RF and works great from the back of the room.

Frys Link

Nice. That looks similar to the Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse setup I got from Wal-Mart for around the same price. Haven't tried it yet but seems it should work if that combo does. The Logitech combo works great but had trouble with using the mouse while sitting back on the couch and dealing with a mouse pad.
post #10 of 103
Haven't tested it yet (PS3 on it's way, should receive tomorrow), but I just purchased Logitech Cordless Desktop.

I am can't speak for the mouse (since I'll be using G7), but the keyboard looks incredible. Basically has all of the media functions and looks almost identical to Di Novo. Which is very expensive in my opinion. The difference is that, S510 keyboard is one piece, rather than 2. I think 1 piece is a lot better for conventional couch usage in front of the TV. This S510 is currently on sale at Circuit City for $50. There is a coupon on the web site available on-line which brings the price down additonal 10%. I was able to use the store pick-up option, and got mine yesterday.

I can't wait to hook it up!
post #11 of 103
For me, having a seperate mouse is critical, as this is not only for media center / linux usage, but playing FPS / RTS games when they become available for Keyboard use...
post #12 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by asong26 View Post

For me, having a seperate mouse is critical, as this is not only for media center / linux usage, but playing FPS / RTS games when they become available for Keyboard use...

That's a good point, didn't think about that. I'm only using my PC connected to the HDTV for web surfing and the like. Playing a FPS with my current trackball keyboard would be possible to a limited extent but I would have to have a mouse too.
post #13 of 103
Thread Starter 
Looking at the Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard I was talking about earlier it will not work right out of the gate. (Model Cordless Internet Pro Y-RAJ56A)

The receiver splits into a PS/2 keyboard and a USB 'mouse' (with included USB-to-PS/2 adapter to be used optionally as needed).

Maybe getting a PS/2-to-USB adapter for the PS/2 keyboard line would work but I don't have one to try it out.
post #14 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

Looking at the Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard I was talking about earlier it will not work right out of the gate. (Model Cordless Internet Pro Y-RAJ56A)

The receiver splits into a PS/2 keyboard and a USB 'mouse' (with included USB-to-PS/2 adapter to be used optionally as needed).

Maybe getting a PS/2-to-USB adapter for the PS/2 keyboard line would work but I don't have one to try it out.

I think this is the Logitech keyboard/mouse I bought from Walmart over the weekend (I'm at work, so don't have the model number with me, was ~$35)

If you only connect the USB cable, both the keyboard and mouse work properly over the wireless for the PS3.

I think the two connections are used only when you don't have a USB connection on the computer.
post #15 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by awdorrin View Post

I think this is the Logitech keyboard/mouse I bought from Walmart over the weekend (I'm at work, so don't have the model number with me, was ~$35)

If you only connect the USB cable, both the keyboard and mouse work properly over the wireless for the PS3.

I think the two connections are used only when you don't have a USB connection on the computer.


That is exactly how my Microsoft wireless keyboard works. You only have to connect the usb cable for both the mouse and the keyboard to work properly (if you don't have USB then the two separate connectors are required). And yes, this keyboard does work with the PS3.
post #16 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboc View Post

I've been using the Imperial 2.4G Wireless Keyboard+Trackball and LOVE it.

Thanks Jim for your reviews- Now I need to choose this one vs. the Globlink!

As for separate mouse and FPS gaming, yes that is an issue, but WHEN that happens, i'll probably buy a new good mouse/keyboard at that time.
The other think I dislike about the separate wireless mouse is that you then have TWO devices that needs batteries (unless there is a recharging dock, but still this is more clutter)...
post #17 of 103
Anyone try the Logitech DiNovo Edge bluetooth keyboard yet?

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger...
post #18 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by asong26 View Post

For me, having a seperate mouse is critical, as this is not only for media center / linux usage, but playing FPS / RTS games when they become available for Keyboard use...

Any news on this front? Particularly in terms of FPS titles? I'm assuming a Keyboard/Mouse combo doesn't work with Resistance... anyone try?

-Pie
post #19 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc10forlife View Post

That is exactly how my Microsoft wireless keyboard works. You only have to connect the usb cable for both the mouse and the keyboard to work properly (if you don't have USB then the two separate connectors are required). And yes, this keyboard does work with the PS3.


That's good to know. I'm going to try mine as soon as I get home. I found and looked over the instruction book but I must have missed that part. I had the setup in front of my HDTV and everything but didn't try it when I had the chance. Live and learn.
post #20 of 103
Hey guys, just letting you know that my Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Elite works like a charm. Not sure how itl work out for games (when they make them compatible) but heres to hoping itl work. I put this on a USB switch, so with the press of a button I can go between using this combo on my PC and PS3.
post #21 of 103
I just ordered this one
post #22 of 103
Worked right out of the box (PS3 firmware 1.3)
This unit is nice since there is only 1 receiver that controls both keyboard and mouse. I am typing this message from my couch using PS3 / Yellow Dog 5 Linux installation. Even the XMB recognized the keyboard and mouse right away. No configuration needed what so ever.

Thing of a beauty!
post #23 of 103
Cheapest Logitech DiNovo Edge keyboard around... $155 (using Google purchase special):

http://www.buy.com/prod/logitech-din...ml?dcaid=17379
post #24 of 103
I picked up the cheapest Microsoft wireless k/m at office depot today for $20. It works like a charm both keyboard and mouse. Its got the USB receiver, I know some people hate that. It works well so far, it will be nice once it has a little more functionality with the system and games. I think a simple keyboard mapping menu in the XMB would be nice.
post #25 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

That's good to know. I'm going to try mine as soon as I get home. I found and looked over the instruction book but I must have missed that part. I had the setup in front of my HDTV and everything but didn't try it when I had the chance. Live and learn.

Well, you guys were right. I'm typing this on my Logitech Cordless Internet Pro Keyboard and Mouse. The mouse's scroll wheel works which is cool since the keyboard keys like page up, down, etc. don't work.

This combo really goes nice with the PS3 design wise.

Start RFOM with the keyboard and mouse attached (1 USB connection only like you'll said) and the only control option is still the controller. Of course really but just wan't to make absolutely sure. No harm in that.
post #26 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoady4Shoady View Post

I just ordered this one

Man that's a nice one. You must let us know how well that Bluetooth keyboard works with the PS3, especially the 'mouse' pad.
post #27 of 103
Wesly & Jimboc,

What options do you have to scroll down webpages when surfing using the Keyboards with trackball built-in? ?arrow keys don't work???

Since you have tried both combined and separate Kb/Mouse setups, does the mouse wheel really work better in scrolling webpages? thx
post #28 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

Man that's a nice one. You must let us know how well that Bluetooth keyboard works with the PS3, especially the 'mouse' pad.

i posted on another BT keyboard thread working with the PS3 somewhere around here, but i can't locate it.

that keyboard works well when browsing, the circular mouse pad works well, but you have to make sure you keep constant pressure on the surface for it to track the cursor well. of course i've only tried this on the web browser aspect of the PS3.
post #29 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Cheapest Logitech DiNovo Edge keyboard around... $155 (using Google purchase special):

http://www.buy.com/prod/logitech-din...ml?dcaid=17379

How did you get $155? I keep getting the price as $179.99
post #30 of 103
I want to get a combo with a mouse good enough for gaming. The Logitech MX3200 combo comes with a laser MX600 mouse. But it's not clear it has the resolution to be good enough for gaming.

If you look at the Logitech pages for gaming mice, they all cite 1600 or 2000 DPI. They used to have combos using their top wireless gaming mouse but they've expanded their selection of gaming mice.

As for PS3 games using KB/M, I don't think Sony prohibits it like Microsoft does but some third party developers have said they want a level playing field, not force gamers to get a KB/M. Such a silly argument.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Wireless Keyboards and the PS3