or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › My Soon To Be 9.3 Setup
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Soon To Be 9.3 Setup

post #1 of 66
Thread Starter 
Hey everyone! Right now I'm running 7 (soon to be 9) Sony SS-K90ED speakers, with kevlar coned midranges. Sony lost money selling these at $1000 a pair in the U.S. and I've just fell in love with their airfoil shape and awsome sound, something not to typical of sony speakers, probably because they teamed up with Polk to design these. But anyways, I love these speakers, especially getting them as cheap as I have. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these as well.

Check out my system at geocities(dot)com/thedudedrummer/day

you wont be disapointed.... THANX for your interest..... Mike
post #2 of 66
im disappointed that you refused to post a regular link.
post #3 of 66
Thread Starter 
I'm new to the forum so it wont allow me LOL. I would if I could.
post #4 of 66
dont think he can till he has 5 posts...

definitely envious of all your SSK90EDs, wish i had known about those when they were $300 at circuit city..
post #5 of 66
Thread Starter 
Its nice to see somebody else has seen these. I wish I wouldve been into HT when they were clearing them out at that price too, because it has taken me years to amass what I have so far. Plus I'm only turnin 18 next this saturday so I'm on a really tight budget. I found the origional one for $65 bucks at this warehouse bargain place and ever since then I've loved them! I guess being a drummer sound is my main vice in life.
post #6 of 66
Thread Starter 
post #7 of 66
Thread Starter 
Check out my system to view the speakers and their current(ish) setup, any comments/suggestiongs would be greatly appriciated. Thanks, Mike
post #8 of 66
Thread Starter 
One thing to take into consideration about my picts is that not shown are the other two massage chairs. The formation is a U shape with the couch in the center. Also added recently is a cherry bar in place of the display cabinet, and countless other minor touches, a tweakers job is never done. Comments/Suggestions anyone? Does anyone else have these speakers here?
post #9 of 66
Pretty nice set up. I was wondering if you your receiver can use a matrix similar for what is used for 5.1 source material converted upto 7.1 source material but instead upgrade it to 9.3? Also is it possible to have 9.3 channel music?

Thanks and nice setup again.
post #10 of 66
Sorry, this GeoCities site is currently unavailable.

The GeoCities web site you were trying to view has temporarily exceeded its data transfer limit. Please try again later.
post #11 of 66
9.3? Can you say "massive overkill"?!
post #12 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

9.3? Can you say "massive overkill"?!

No. 9.9 will be "massive overkill", it is just an overkill ... just kidding ...
post #13 of 66
His site doesn't work because Geocities BLOWS. They only allow like 2-3 people to look and then it overruns the bandwidth they allow.

Transfer your HTML over to tripod and you'll be able to view it very often (thats what I did)
post #14 of 66
Thread Starter 
By running 9.1 vs 7.1 your basically running two sets of mains, giving you a much greater soundstage. This will be a pain to do though because I will probably have to give up some seating, or else will have to move the system into another larger room. The three subs actually work well in this room, giving much more definition and "umph" to the bass durring explosions, Call of Duty 3 on xBox 360 is a perfect example. Also, I have many problems with bass cancelation within the room with only one or two subwoofers, yet three leaves only one noticible spot, which luckily is not within the main seating area. I only use geocities because its FREE!! lol Are there any better free web hosting sites? I have charter cable, which is supposed to come with webspace, yet I have never been able to access it. The wonders of technology! I have ran up to an 11.3 setup which was amazing, but it was just to screw around one day, feasibly it wouldnt be worth the effort, but it is always fun to try. Am I the only one here with these speakers?
post #15 of 66
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the tip on tripod. Here is the link

http://thedudedrummer.tripod.com/home_theater

Any comments or suggestions on my home theater is gladly welcome.

Does anyone else here have these speakers?

Thanx, Mike
post #16 of 66
How do you run a 9.1 setup? Are you just splitting the signal from the front two speakers?
post #17 of 66
Thread Starter 
Basically, yes. All you are doing is running two sets of speakers with the L/R audio material, rather than just one set. It would be L L c R R but in an arc. I'll have to work out the specific angles when the speakers get here. Basically it will bridge the gap between the 5.1 - 7.1 upmixing that forms, and create a much larger soundstage. Everyone that uses these over on the Sony forums, that have enough of them to do so, choose this arrangement. The main reason I am doing so is because of the poor low level acoustics in my room (ie. soft music). I really wish I could move this into our new 24x20ft addition, so I could run rows of seating, but unfortunately my reign only goes so far at my age. THANX, Mike
post #18 of 66
Thread Starter 
Perhaps I might stack one of the fronts on top of the other inverted. From top down the speaker would be WWMCCMWW (w-woofer m-mid c-tweeter). I have seen this done in demo rooms at a high end home theater store in Sacramento, (they had the massive reference B&W's there I drooled over, 7 of them would cost more than most houses). The sound was actually amazing, even despite of the fact that they were not designed to be used this way. I wish I could remember the specific brand they used. This would get rid of some space and callibration problems I would have, but hmmm... would it sound as good? or look as cool? Any opinions on my ideas or current(ish) system picts?
post #19 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudedrummer View Post

Any comments or suggestions on my home theater is gladly welcome.

OK, you asked.
Quote:


All you are doing is running two sets of speakers with the L/R audio material, rather than just one set. It would be L L c R R but in an arc.

I wouldn't do that, despite what they may be saying over at the Sony forum.

Unnecessarily increasing the amount of dual-mono information in the critical front soundstage will lead to frequency response problems (comb filtering) and imaging instability (because you're relying more on phantom images).

It literally makes your main speakers into virtual speakers, since their location will be a phantom image between the inner and outer pairs of L/R speakers.

Sanjay
post #20 of 66
Thread Starter 
Then would be stacking the speakers, as I saw in the HT retailer, be a better solution?
post #21 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudedrummer View Post

Then would be stacking the speakers, as I saw in the HT retailer, be a better solution?



No.
post #22 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou View Post

No.

What he said.

Sanjay
post #23 of 66
More speakers does not equal better! Im a pro audio engineer and the hardest thing to do in my line of work is make more speakers sound good when used with eachother. Comb filtering, incorrect spacial information, wishy washy sound stage. This is a terrible idea even if you got the speakers for free. You may want to ignore me tho since I think 7.1 is stupid too. Better gear, better room, better room acoustics... that can help a system. 9.3 will not, and every seat will sound different.

Sell some speakers and spend some money at gik.com and buy some room treatments.

Frost
post #24 of 66
alright it looks like you might have some left over

ill gladly take them off your hands for $200ish
post #25 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post

I think 7.1 is stupid too. Better gear, better room, better room acoustics... that can help a system. 9.3 will not, and every seat will sound different.

What he said
post #26 of 66
Thread Starter 
Perhaps I could let these two go, or else just use them as a nice stereo system in our gym. I would be willing to trade them for the SA-1 kit from madisound or ~200 each. The last two I bought were this much by the time I paid for shipping, but are so well worth it. I'm always looking to upgrade my reciever as well (its a Pioneer VSX-1015tx... the top model below the elite series)... so Idk... trades are welcome too! I've always wanted to do DIY speakers so the money or the SA-1 kit would be preferred. Any interest?

BTW.... any opinions on my current (ish) setup at tripod (link is back a few posts)

Thankx, Mike
post #27 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudedrummer View Post

Perhaps I could let these two go, or else just use them as a nice stereo system in our gym. I would be willing to trade them for the SA-1 kit from madisound or ~200 each. The last two I bought were this much by the time I paid for shipping, but are so well worth it. I'm always looking to upgrade my reciever as well (its a Pioneer VSX-1015tx... the top model below the elite series)... so Idk... trades are welcome too! I've always wanted to do DIY speakers so the money or the SA-1 kit would be preferred. Any interest?

BTW.... any opinions on my current (ish) setup at tripod (link is back a few posts)

Thankx, Mike

nice setup, but why are all the pictures blurry?
post #28 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPainMD View Post

nice setup, but why are all the pictures blurry?

... the room-shaking bass from the .3?
post #29 of 66
What kind of subs are you using?
post #30 of 66
Thread Starter 
I wish it was the bass that made them that way, but a lack of a tripod and using my dads camera on its lowest setting probably was the main reason. I have a 7 meg. camera but it transfers grainy pictures lately, IDK why. I'm just using some cheap sony subs right now (2 @ 125w and rear is 250w). With the smallest alone at half volume (on subs) it shook the floor on my parents room above. The thrid really helps with picking up the rear for explosions in Call Of Duty 3 on Xbox 360. Any other comments or suggestions on my setup? THanx, Mike
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › My Soon To Be 9.3 Setup